The Next Best Thing - Croagunk

Definitely go with sark.

all the other sets don't look good tbh but in fairness to the contributors Snover shouldn't really be doing anything except Choice Scarf. I noticed a lot of people are voting Swords Dance Snover but honestly I don't think the set would work. With seven weaknesses Snover will have a hard time using Substitute or Swords Dance and add that with Wood Hammer reciol and it won't even live long enough to sweep. Secondly while you could suprise and opponent with a Substitute on the switch it still doesn't do much else sinse Steel-types are usually snovers main switch in and they still wall this set. Magnemite and Bronzor can just switch in spam Gyro Ball and Flash cannon and win.

The reason why Sarkinins is the best set here is because its the most offensive set with the greatest coverage conpared to the others and it abuses the freedom to switch moves better than any other set.

I missed the nomination stage but I would still like to point out that a set similar to sarks with Focus Sash>Life Orb can work because with its coverage Snover can 2hko many Lc Pokemon. It also gives it the niche of beating Choice Scarf murkrow for what its worth, which the scarf set can't. Of course this set does need rapid spin support.

Edit: the main advantage of sash though is bluffing the scarf

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
I've been a bit busy, but here I am. The voting is closed now

Sarkynin - 8
Axisotaku - 6
The Quasar - 0
ABfloww - 0

Snover was a tough one, so congratulations Sarkynin!

Our next Pokemon will be the other weather setter, Hippopotas!

Hippopotas@Life Orb
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/180 Atk/76 SpD
Nature: Adamant
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Body Slam/Rock Slide
- Slack Off

This set is an offensive based Hippopotas. The idea is fairly simple: Body Slam and paralyze, then start sweeping and Slack off whenever possible.
Earthquake hits hard with LO while Crunch helps hit Misdreavus.
Body Slam helps Hippopotas spam paralysis, while Rock Slide helps beat mons like Shelmet.
Slack Off is to recover from LO damage.

^This set has no chance of beating shelmet unless shelmet switches in on a rock slide and gets raped by flinches. Shelmet can simply boost up its defense with Acid Armour while being protected from critical hits due to shell armour. After a defense boost or two Shelmet can easily get up Spikes against hipopotas.

With that said the set looks decent as this is another toughy to put a creative spin on. Luring in Misdreavus and hitting it with Crunch would have to be the best thing I can see that this set has to offer and hipopotas acting as a suprisingly powerful tank is also a cool addition to this set although I doubt it can "sweep teams" Without hazards this set can't simply run through teams and add that to the fact that hippo won't be outspeeding much and this set is unfotunately not a sweeper set.

Agreed, Hippo is kinda slow but it's the best I could muster, standard eviolite set doesn't leave too many options because Hippo's movepool is VERY limited.
Although a Revenge set might be decent considering it's BAD speed which it could use to surprise hit ice types like snover looking to set up.

I guess not as effective as the standard defensive set, and obviously weak to snover. But for a slightly more effective set to use on Hippopotas;

Hippopotas @ Eviolite
Trait: Sand Stream
Level: 5
EVs: 116 Atk / 212 Def / 180 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

pretty much a curse set, with slack off and a STAB earthquake, and rock slide to hit flying pokemon or with levitate. Hippo isnt all that fast but against certain pokemon, this set could work. Quite nice to boost its already solid defenses and be able to hit back with relatively big damage.

So difficult to build a different set IMHO. Hippopotas has a solid niche in Little Cup for 3 main reasons:

1) Sand Stream
2) It can set up Stealth Rock
3) Its defenses

I think the slight chance to improve a playable set is increase the third point. So:

Hippopotas@ Eviolite
EVs: 132 HP / 20 Atk / 212 Def / 100 SDef / 20 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Stockpile
- Earthquake
- Slack Off

About SR, EQ and Slack Off, we know everything. Stockpile allows to further increase Def and SpD. Atough unbreakable wall?

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yea I don't see anything Hippo can do since even with the best moves/items it's still beaten by staryu/snover. However, it can beat krow and missy too.

Hippopotas @ Eviolite
EVs: 52 HP / 180 Atk / 212 Def / 20 Spd / 20 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Rock Slide

Offensive tank. Slack off for healing, max Def/Atk, a bit of HP and SpD and speed.

236 Atk Murkrow Brave Bird vs. 52 HP / 212 Def Eviolite Hippopotas: 9-12 (37.5 - 50%) -- 0.39% chance to 2HKO
76 Atk Mienfoo Drain Punch vs. 52 HP / 212 Def Eviolite Hippopotas: 6-7 (25 - 29.16%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
236+ Atk Drilbur Earthquake vs. 52 HP / 212 Def Eviolite Hippopotas: 9-12 (37.5 - 50%) -- 0.39% chance to 2HKO

The most important physical attackers have no hope of 2HKOing this hippo, while he can hit hard in return and just heal back the damage with slack off. Crunch is for missy, rock slide is for krow, earthquake is for everything else.

180+ Atk Hippopotas Rock Slide vs. 36 HP / 20 Def Eviolite Murkrow: 12-16 (52.17 - 69.56%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
180+ Atk Hippopotas Earthquake vs. 156 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 9-12 (39.13 - 52.17%) -- 9.77% chance to 2HKO after weather
180+ Atk Hippopotas Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 12-16 (54.54 - 72.72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Sand really helps racking up some 2HKOes, and he can hit hard everything else with Earthquake. A good bulky attacker.

Sarkynin

being able to 2hko misdreavus with Crunch while still keeping bulk is what I like about this set.

I don't really like Stockpile only because shit like Staryu and Snover can get free switch in on a stockpile and beat it. spore users like foongus and Shroomish can do a similar thig except cripple it with Spore.

tl;dr hipo is forced out to easy to pull off a Stockpile set

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
K then, I've been busy lately, but here is the results:

vyomov - 0
ABfloww - 1
The Quasar - 2
Sarkynin - 10

Well Sarkynin's set is the winner, and Sark is clearly unstoppable :O

The next mon will be Murkrow!

Reserving Sub-Toxic Murkrow:

Murkrow (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 116 HP / 100 Def / 180 SDef / 108 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Roost
- Toxic
- Brave Bird

Will Edit: Done I think

What is thought to "counter" this pokemon? Porygon, Lileep, Archen, Hippopotas (To an extent), and that's all I can think off
Is there anyway to bypass this pokemon's so-called "counters? Toxic on all the pokes mentioned and roost off any damage and predict the subs when your opponent tries to use status on you.
What moves are seldom used on this pokemon, but have the most upside? Toxic, I don't think I need to explain this.
What niches can this pokemon potentially fill in the current metagame? Kill all the so called Murkrow "counters" and "check"
What opposing pokemon does this pokemon do well against? Lileep that lack ancient power, Ferroseed for an easy sub (Except the ones with Gyro Ball, but that can be stalled out), anything is either locked in into a resist move or something that has weak sp atk.
How can this pokemon benefit it's teammates? Defeating pesky walls (especially porygon) or weakening them for a set up pokemon (Like Shell Smashers or Scraggy).

BTW: Heat Wave can be used for annoying steels like Magnemite, Pawniard, and Bronzor.

Interesting Calcs:

0 SpA Lileep AncientPower vs. 116 HP / 180+ SpD Eviolite Murkrow: 8-12 (33.33 - 50%) -- 0.39% chance to 2HKO
(8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 12)

184 SpA Snover Blizzard vs. 116 HP / 180+ SpD Eviolite Murkrow: 18-24 (75 - 100%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO
(18, 18, 18, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 24)

76 SpA Porygon Tri Attack vs. 116 HP / 180+ SpD Eviolite Murkrow: 7-9 (29.16 - 37.5%) -- 4.05% chance to 3HKO
(7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 9)

240 Atk Life Orb Murkrow Brave Bird vs. 116 HP / 100 Def Eviolite Murkrow: 17-21 (70.83 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(17, 17, 17, 17, 17, 17, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 21)

+2 240 SpA Misdreavus Hidden Power Fighting vs. 116 HP / 180+ SpD Eviolite Murkrow: 9-11 (37.5 - 45.83%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 11)

200 SpA Staryu Thunderbolt vs. 116 HP / 180+ SpD Eviolite Murkrow: 10-14 (41.66 - 58.33%) -- 88.67% chance to 2HKO

+1 236 Atk Scraggy Hi Jump Kick vs. 116 HP / 100 Def Eviolite Murkrow: 19-24 (79.16 - 100%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO
(19, 19, 19, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 24)

+1 236 Atk Scraggy Drain Punch vs. 116 HP / 100 Def Eviolite Murkrow: 12-15 (50 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 15)

Last Thing: This set was made originally by Wobbyble and he gave me permission to post some of his shit.
(19:59:33) Wobbyble: arte idc what u do as long as u dont popularise the super gay shit

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Murkrow has so many onsite sets it's a bit silly to come up with new ones. They basically cover every variant that you'd ever need. Regardless...

Prankster | Life Orb | Naive
240 Atk / 80 SpA / 188 Spe
- Embargo
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Hidden Power Grass​

You can, uh, OHKO things while looking cool! Although with hazard support it actually is an interesting set, forcing your opponent to switch out and try to predict or something, in reality you'd probably want to just attack for the 2HKO anyways. It does slightly ease prediction (and save you 2 HP in LO recoil, yay). It's mostly just a fun gimmick, but it does have one huge thing going for it: you wreck those Choice Scarfers. Embargo away the Speed boost and OHKO them! How fun. It also beats Flying Gem Gligar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)