Other The OU Theorymon Project (CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
^ A fairy retype without a fairy STAB is highly unlikely isn't it? IDK how the retype changes go around here.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think Choice Scarf Competitive Milotic has potential, with Intimidate, Sticky Web, and Defog being the most common stat lowering moves/ability, and since Milotic only cares about Sticky Web (which isn't even that common nowadays from my experience), she finds quite a few opportunities to smash some heads in. Here are some Pokemon with the mentioned stat lowering moves/ability she can easily threaten after a Competitive boost (some factor in abilities before Mega Evolution):

+2 252 SpA Milotic Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: (102.6 - 120.7%) guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Latias: (71.4 - 84.6%) guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Milotic Hydro Pump (Sun) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: (88.5 - 104.6%) 25% chance to OHKO

+2 252 SpA Milotic Hidden Power Electric vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: (52.4 - 62%) guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Milotic Surf vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Manectric: (104.6 - 123.1%) guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: (80.6 - 95.2%) guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Milotic Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Scizor: (87.2 - 102.9%) 18.8% chance to OHKO

+2 252 SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: (57.2 - 67.9%) guaranteed 2HKO

As you can see, Competitive Milotic can easily punish Intimidators switching in and Defoggers for clearing hazards. But the best part is these calcs are assuming just a Timid nature, which just shows how viable offensive sets can be. And even if the opponent doesn't switch in their Intimidator or use Defog, it shows that they're too scared of the risk of activating Competitive, which shows some field control.

It occurs to me that if Milotic had Calm Mind it'd be incredibly scary, even as a pure water, thanks to having Recover and an already solid defense.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It occurs to me that if Milotic had Calm Mind it'd be incredibly scary, even as a pure water, thanks to having Recover and an already solid defense.
And since she already comes with Recover, as well as potentially getting a Marvel Scale boost from something that isn't Toxic, she could have been a really good stall breaker. Too bad she lacks a boosting move, otherwise that would be a really good set to use.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't see a lot of interest for this theorymon, so let's go to our next slate:
  • Refrigerate Avalugg (amzaneok)
  • Electric / Poison Eelektross (Pipotchi)
  • Magic Bounce Delphox (Jaroda)
  • Recover Poliwrath (Slens)
You have 24 hours to vote. Only vote for one theorymon, and the theorymon with the most votes wins. Don't forget to bold your votes, otherwise they won't count. In the case of a tie, we will vote again for the two theorymon that tied, with another day time limit. Start voting!

And here is the competitive merit behind each theorymon:

Refrigerate Avalugg: Unblockable Rapid Spin, 132 BP STAB Return, and 156 BP STAB Double-Edge are all huge boosts for Avalugg that could make it a potentiall viable pick for OU. Great coverage with juts two moves (Return and Earthquake), anti hazard support with Rapid Spin, and ability to stick around with Recover could allow Avalugg to take the role of a anti-hazard supporter, hard hitter, and physical tank, all in one.

Electric / Poison Eelektross: With a Toxic immunity, weakness to only one type, decent all around bulk, and Coil Eelektross could make for a great bulky sweeper. It even has reliable recovery in Drain Punch, and Drain Punch + Knock Off + ThunderPunch provide perfect neutral coverage.

Magic Bounce Delphox: Say hello to Espeon's improved version of a Magic Bounce offensive Pokemon. Thanks to Fire STAB, WoW, and some handy resistances, Delphox will hopefully be able to succesfully fill the role of an offensive Magic Bounce user.

Recover Poliwrath: With reliable recovery Poliwrath is able to reliably wall Pokemon such as Keldeo, Greninja without Extrasensory, Bisharp, Mega Gyarados, Mega Scizor, Mega Tyranitar, and Kabutops, while providing good team support with Scald, Circle Throw, and Encore. It even has Refresh to deal with status from Pokemon it checks, such as Heatran and Chansey.

Refrigerate Avalugg: Avalugg would still be pretty mediocre. Refrigerate doesn't help its main problems, namely shitty Special Defense, Speed, and typing. It's still vulnerable to all forms of hazards, and it's not like the existence of spinblockers was Avalugg's biggest problem.

Electric / Poison Eelektross: This is interesting, given that it adds some useful resistances to Fairy and Fighting while only becoming weak to Psychic. I don't think it has a physical Poison move to use though, which is kind of a shame. Its stats are still pretty average all around as well and I wouldn't consider Drain Punch "reliable recovery" in this sense since it's a weak, non-STAB move.

Magic Bounce Delphox: A lot of the common offensive Stealth Rock users (Landorus-I, Garchomp) already shit on Delphox so it won't be switching into them to bounce back the rocks. Being unable to bounce back Will-o-wisp (at least I think that's how it would work since its already immune, correct me if I'm wrong) is also a problem. Still, Delphox has a better typing and movepool than Espeon and can more easily threaten dedicated status users.

Recover Poliwrath: Now that it doesn't have to use RestTalk, Poliwrath is free to use the extra moveslot for something else. While the typing is cool as well, this one seems rather uninspired and Poliwrath still has pretty mediocre stats. Not much to say here.

Based on these thoughts, my vote goes to Electric/Poison Eelektross. It seems like the most useful buff.

I'm in a similar boat to Salt, all the choices are cool, but don't quite fix everything

Avalugg is too vulnerable to wall, could tank, but not significantly better than established OU tanks. He still takes hits like a boss, but that typing...

Eelektross would have some problems from fast special sweepers, specifically psychic types, and it would take quite a few boosts to make drain punch reliable recovery, but it has interesting resistances and a useful ability for it

Delphox will get OHKO'd hard by a lot of SR setters, though maybe a specs set could KO first

And poliwrath gets a cool couple of niches, but I don't quite see its viability outside the matchups it likes. It's not going to be a great all purpose wall, and tanking doesn't look too great either. His typing's great, but venusaur would just laugh all day long

Don't get me wrong, I think they're all great ideas, but I'm going to go with the only one I think I'd actually use, Electric/Poison Eelektross

Last edited:
Electric/Poison Eel loves resisting Fighting and Fairy. Having no weaknesses is nice, but it pales to having a plethora of handy resists.

Electric w/ Levitate takes: 0 from non-Mold Breaker Ground, .5 from Flying, .5 from Electric, .5 from Steel.
Electric/Poison w/ Levitate takes: 0 from non-Mold Breaker Ground, .5 from Flying, .5 from Electric, .5 from Steel, .5 from Fighting, .5 from Fairy, .5 from Grass, .5 from Bug, .5 from Poison, and x2 from Psychic.

That's 3 resists and one immunity to 8 resists, one immunity, and a single weakness to Psychic.

Not to mention how much fun STAB Acid Spray can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)