The Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wes Brown is in training so I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench or even starting ahead of Evans. We should still twat Hull with that team considering its as strong as the team drew with Everton.

I don't see Barca keeping a clean sheet against our attack with their makeshift defence.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sir Alex is renowned for being tactically inept, but there's no doubt that he is undeniably the manager you want if you wish to win trophies.

I think we're favourites to win the CL. Chelsea proved that Barcelona find it extremely difficult to cut open English teams because the likes of United and Chelsea can defend. Defend narrow with the midfield in front of the back four, then hit them on the counter.

And we are one of the best counter-attacking team in the world; monitor our third goal against Arsenal at the Emirates.

I fear Xavi and Iniesta much more than their "trident" in Messi, Henry and Eto'o. Henry and Iniesta are not guaranteed to make the final; their first choice full-backs are suspended, and I believe they're missing a few of their starting centre backs.

The scales balance in our favour and we should be able to retain the Champions League trophy. My starting eleven for the ECL final would be:

VDS
O'Shea Vidic Rio Evra
Park Carrick Anderson Tevez Rooney
Berbatov​

Berbatov holds up the ball tremendously well, and should lead the line against a weak defence.​

Rooney and Park to support our full-backs against Messi and Henry.​

A three-man-midfield to combat with Barcelona's Iniesta, Xavi and Toure. Tevez fills in for Fletcher, who would give us just as much energy and adds power along side Anderson.​

The backline and goalkeeper picks itself.​

My starting eleven for the ECL final would be:

VDS
O'Shea Vidic Rio Evra
Park Carrick Anderson Tevez Rooney
Berbatov​
You do realize that Ronaldo is not in the starting lineup? Theres no way in hell he'll will sit on the bench for the champions league final. My eleven would be:

VDS
O'shea, Ferdiand, Vidic, Evra
Park, Carrick, Giggs, Rooney
Ronaldo
Tevez

I never rated Berbatov much, and I feel Tevez's ability to pressure and defend from the top is key. Park and Rooney, as we all know, are tremendous workers and will track back alot to help the full-backs and cover them when they go forward. Ronaldo will get the free role just behind the striker and Giggs is in for his ability to hold the ball, Barcelona can't attack if they don't have possession. The back line and keeper, like you said, picks itself.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You do realize that Ronaldo is not in the starting lineup? Theres no way in hell he'll will sit on the bench for the champions league final. My eleven would be:

VDS
O'shea, Ferdiand, Vidic, Evra
Park, Carrick, Giggs, Rooney
Ronaldo
Tevez​

I never rated Berbatov much, and I feel Tevez's ability to pressure and defend from the top is key. Park and Rooney, as we all know, are tremendous workers and will track back alot to help the full-backs and cover them when they go forward. Ronaldo will get the free role just behind the striker and Giggs is in for his ability to hold the ball, Barcelona can't attack if they don't have possession. The back line and keeper, like you said, picks itself.
I made a typo -- Ronaldo was supposed to be ahead of Berbatov.

You do realise that Berbatov holds the ball up magnificantly well? We need that in the ECL because we need a target man who can hold the ball up well, inviting the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo into the thick of things. We need possession.

Rooney
Carrick
Anderson
Park

Berbatov
Ronaldo

That's more like it.

And I can't see Tevez starting the match, neither will Giggs. Giggs has been overrated this season. The midfield is too conjested for Giggs to have any time on the ball, especially against Barcelona. Giggs continues to give the ball away against mediocre opposition -- imagine what will happen against a high pressurizing Barcelona. He won't start -- quote me on that.

I made a typo -- Ronaldo was supposed to be ahead of Berbatov.

You do realise that Berbatov holds the ball up magnificantly well? We need that in the ECL because we need a target man who can hold the ball up well, inviting the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo into the thick of things. We need possession.

Rooney
Carrick
Anderson
Park

Berbatov
Ronaldo

That's more like it.

And I can't see Tevez starting the match, neither will Giggs. Giggs has been overrated this season. The midfield is too conjested for Giggs to have any time on the ball, especially against Barcelona. Giggs continues to give the ball away against mediocre opposition -- imagine what will happen against a high pressurizing Barcelona. He won't start -- quote me on that.
I disagree on Berbatov's usefulness. While he is undoubtedly a good player, I think that the idea for a target man being essential in ECL is ridiculous. Man Utd didn't have 1 last season and they won it, neither did Barcelona this season. Tevez is hard to shake off the ball and can hold the ball as well as anyone, IMO in these type of games you need graft as much as flair. I agree on Giggs being overated this season, but if theres anyone that can make use of the ball well with little time, its him. However, I can definitely see how Anderson will be picked ahead of him on physical stats alone.

Taylor

i am alien
I disagree on Berbatov's usefulness. While he is undoubtedly a good player, I think that the idea for a target man being essential in ECL is ridiculous. Man Utd didn't have 1 last season and they won it, neither did Barcelona this season. Tevez is hard to shake off the ball and can hold the ball as well as anyone, IMO in these type of games you need graft as much as flair. I agree on Giggs being overated this season, but if theres anyone that can make use of the ball well with little time, its him. However, I can definitely see how Anderson will be picked ahead of him on physical stats alone.
No, not at all. That's where he is at his worst. In the Premier League, you're given little time to make use of the ball -- Barcelona press better than any other team in the world. He simply will not have the time to play his football.

It's essentially to us to have a man we can loft the ball up to -- that's Berbatov, not Tevez. It will be extremely difficult to play our way through Barcelona -- long balls frightened them (see Chelsea vs. Barcelona). It's not necessarily essential to have a target man, but it works in our favour for us in particular. Barcelona play their way through the opposition -- that is why they don't have a target man.

It's an additional dimension we can add to our offensive game, rather than lose possssion through Giggs and have Tevez upfront without any involvement whatsoever.

I agree, Tevez's workrate is tremendous, he will run around the pitch looking for the ball on all occasions, but berbatov waits for the ball to be played TO him. Thats the difference in their character.

Taylor

i am alien
I agree, Tevez's workrate is tremendous, he will run around the pitch looking for the ball on all occasions, but berbatov waits for the ball to be played TO him. Thats the difference in their character.
And yet you fail to praise Berbatov's notable attributes that outclass Tevez. He can take the ball down from the air with relative ease, better control and much more inventive. Tevez is more direct -- Berbatov is more innovative. Admittedly they are both equally as strong when shrugging off the opposition.

No, not at all. That's where he is at his worst. In the Premier League, you're given little time to make use of the ball -- Barcelona press better than any other team in the world. He simply will not have the time to play his football.

It's essentially to us to have a man we can loft the ball up to -- that's Berbatov, not Tevez. It will be extremely difficult to play our way through Barcelona -- long balls frightened them (see Chelsea vs. Barcelona). It's not necessarily essential to have a target man, but it works in our favour for us in particular. Barcelona play their way through the opposition -- that is why they don't have a target man.

It's an additional dimension we can add to our offensive game, rather than lose possssion through Giggs and have Tevez upfront without any involvement whatsoever.
The La Liga is played at a slower pace and Barcelona likes to have time on the ball to play their passes, I think there are teams in the EPL that press even better then Barcelona. Essien had all the time in the world to fire that volley and Lampard had so much space. Tevez might be shorter, but I swear to god he fights for and scores more headers then that dud Berbatov. Tevez is a much more mobile player, if hes isolated he will drop deep to get more involved, Berbatov not so much. So you prefer Anderson and Berbatov > Giggs and Tevez, fair enough, I see your point. Looking at the lineup against Hull will probably give us a clearer picture of who will be starting in the final, by watching who is rested and all.

Taylor

i am alien
The La Liga is played at a slower pace and Barcelona likes to have time on the ball to play their passes, I think there are teams in the EPL that press even better then Barcelona. Essien had all the time in the world to fire that volley and Lampard had so much space. Tevez might be shorter, but I swear to god he fights for and scores more headers then that dud Berbatov. Tevez is a much more mobile player, if hes isolated he will drop deep to get more involved, Berbatov not so much. So you prefer Anderson and Berbatov > Giggs and Tevez, fair enough, I see your point. Looking at the lineup against Hull will probably give us a clearer picture of who will be starting in the final, by watching who is rested and all.
Barcelona intelligently press the opposition and they re-attain possession almost immediately after they lose the ball. I've watched every Barcelona game this season bar the Copa Del Ray -- I suggest you watch them tonight.

If Tevez drops deep we have no one to lead the line. Berbatov not so much? Berbatov drops deep far more than Tevez. If you had watched them mid-week against Wigan, you'd know that because Andy Gray touched on that subject heavily throughout the game.

Tevez scores more headers than Berbatov? I wouldn't know myself. That doesn't mean Tevez can be a target man as such.

Essien didn't have that much space to fire the volley -- it was struck that sudden and he was surrounded as the ball left his foot.

I don't think we'll get much of an indication as to what Sir Alex may play in the ECL by looking at the line-up versus Hull. It will be reserve team players with perhaps Fletcher and Nani in the squad -- we know as much now as we will until the day of the ECL arrives (injuries not included).

Barcelona intelligently press the opposition and they re-attain possession almost immediately after they lose the ball. I've watched every Barcelona game this season bar the Copa Del Ray -- I suggest you watch them tonight.

If Tevez drops deep we have no one to lead the line. Berbatov not so much? Berbatov drops deep far more than Tevez. If you had watched them mid-week against Wigan, you'd know that because Andy Gray touched on that subject heavily throughout the game.

Tevez scores more headers than Berbatov? I wouldn't know myself. That doesn't mean Tevez can be a target man as such.

Essien didn't have that much space to fire the volley -- it was struck that sudden and he was surrounded as the ball left his foot.

I don't think we'll get much of an indication as to what Sir Alex may play in the ECL by looking at the line-up versus Hull. It will be reserve team players with perhaps Fletcher and Nani in the squad -- we know as much now as we will until the day of the ECL arrives (injuries not included).
I admit, being a Liverpool fan myself (and Spain's timezone being far too inconvenient with mine), I probably don't watch Man Utd and Barcelona as much as you do. You said if Tevez drops deep there'll be no one leading the line, but if Berbatov drops even deeper then Tevez, wouldn't that be the same (or even worse)? Tevez has more pace, he can definitely return to position easier. I was thinking Hull would be a clearer indication as if Tevez/Berbatov or Giggs/Anderson/Scholes started the game or isn't taken off early, he'll have a lesser chance of starting the finals.

Taylor

i am alien
I admit, being a Liverpool fan myself (and Spain's timezone being far too inconvenient with mine), I probably don't watch Man Utd and Barcelona as much as you do. You said if Tevez drops deep there'll be no one leading the line, but if Berbatov drops even deeper then Tevez, wouldn't that be the same (or even worse)? Tevez has more pace, he can definitely return to position easier. I was thinking Hull would be a clearer indication as if a player started the game or is taken off later, he'll have a lesser chance of starting the finals.
Sir Alex won't involve the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, Carrick and Evra in the squad at all.

I don't think Berbatov will drop deep against Barcelona. He'll hold up play as best he can, inviting other plays into the mix.

And yet you fail to praise Berbatov's notable attributes that outclass Tevez. He can take the ball down from the air with relative ease, better control and much more inventive. Tevez is more direct -- Berbatov is more innovative. Admittedly they are both equally as strong when shrugging off the opposition.
Im not much of a berbatov fan =]. I was just comparing their Workrate.

Taylor

i am alien
Im not much of a berbatov fan =]. I was just comparing their Workrate.
That's the problem with Berbatov -- he just doesn't appeal to United because last year we got so used to Tevez and Rooney upfront. Those two were phenominal together and had lots of energy and movement.

Sir Alex won't involve the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, Carrick and Evra in the squad at all.

I don't think Berbatov will drop deep against Barcelona. He'll hold up play as best he can, inviting other plays into the mix.
Yea, those are the players whose names are surely in the team sheet for the starting line-up. I meant more about the players who I'm still unsure on, like the striker and the CM playing alongside Carrick.

Taylor

i am alien
Yea, those are the players whose names are surely in the team sheet for the starting line-up. I meant more about the players who I'm still unsure on, like the striker and the CM playing alongside Carrick.
Fletcher, Gibson and Possebon will most likely feature this week against Hull. Anderson, Giggs and the rest will most likely be rested.

Does anyone know when Giggs is going to retire? He's been playing for 18 years, lol

However I think he play a few more years still.

I kinda feel for Newcastle fans, it won't be the same Premier League if we don't have our yearly trips to St. James' Park. However, it'll also be rather funny to see a 52,000 seater stadium in the Championship...
The same way it was to see Leeds go down? =[

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Team to face Barcelona will surely be:

Van der Sar
O'Shea Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Carrick Scholes Anderson
Park Ronaldo Rooney
--
Subs: Kuszczak; Rafael, Evans; Giggs, Nani; Tévez, Berbatov​

Van der Sar and our most in tune back four is a given provided everyone is fit. Carrick and Anderson are, IMO, sure starters for the energy and defensive work in the midfield. I think Scholes will suit us better in the early game (and maybe he'll hit us another rocket for a 0-1 win). Park and Rooney on the wings, they'll work hard all game. Ronaldo to split the defence and give us a target up front - he will score.

Foster is injured, so it's got to be PIG on the bench. Rafael and Evans are our two fittest defenders and are the best back-up at the moment. Giggs has to be on the bench, as do Tévez and Berbatov. Nani is just 'filler', I doubt he'll play as Giggs, Tévez, and Berbatov are more reliable for changing the game IMO.

Fletcher would've started and Scholes would've taken Nani's place on the bench.. but we'll just have to deal with that now.

I think we'll win.
The same way it was to see Leeds go down? =[
And yes, but Leeds are dirty. Dirty Leeds.

It's been a long time since I have been back at these forums and it's nice to finally see a soccer thread. Well as always, this years champions league will be absolutely one to remember as both of these teams play beautiful football (I hate them both though).
Being a Liverpool fan, I will be rooting for Barcelona. Even as a Liverpool fan though, I do not support Rafa's arrogance towards Fergie. He has made some decisions this year that defenitely may have cost us the title but in reality, I feel that we lost the title in all of the draws we acquired to teams we should have smashed (WIgan, Fulham, Man City....) and a loss to Middlesborough. We shall be ready for next year provided that keep our key players.

Also, the UEFA Cup Final should be a good game. Both teams took 3rd in the group stages of the champions league and have been mighty impressive in teh Uefa Cup (Obviously). I honestly would love to see this game discussed more. Shakhtar Donetsk vs. Werder Bremen. Both teams struggled domestically but knew how to get wins when they counted.
I will personally be rooting for Werder Bremen since they knocked out Anorthosis out of the knockout stages of the Champions League and they beat Inter (who to me was not so impressive this year) to knock them out of all European Competitions. It also helps that Shakhtar Donetsk also have Darijo Srna captaining, one of my favorite players because of his spirit in the game.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Being a Liverpool fan, I will be rooting for Barcelona.
I never understood this philosophy. I'll always root for the English team because victory will only help to cement the Premiership's status as the best league in the world. They're representing us out there. Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal...I couldn't care which one wins it, as long as one of them does I'll be celebrating. I understand the rivalry between Man Utd and Liverpool, but seriously if Sunderland was the last English team in a European competition, I'd be silently cheering them on.

It is pretty difficult to stomach the gloating you'd get from your rivals if they did pull off a big win but never mind that shit.

some random facts because I'm pointlessly scanning wikipedia...

Giggs is only three appearances away from having more Champions League appearances than any other player in history.

It's been almost twenty years since a club was able to retain the champions league title.

Man Utd has never lost a Champions League final whereas Barca have lost 3.

Most importantly (to me at least and hopefully to you losers too)

IF MAN UTD WIN THEN ENGLAND WILL HAVE WON THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE MORE THAN ANY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD

At the minute, England, Spain and Italy have all held it 11 times each.

I never understood this philosophy. I'll always root for the English team because victory will only help to cement the Premiership's status as the best league in the world. They're representing us out there. Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal...I couldn't care which one wins it, as long as one of them does I'll be celebrating. I understand the rivalry between Man Utd and Liverpool, but seriously if Sunderland was the last English team in a European competition, I'd be silently cheering them on.

It is pretty difficult to stomach the gloating you'd get from your rivals if they did pull off a big win but never mind that shit.

Oh, and just throwing it out there but I imagine Giggs will have at least a bit-part appearance in the final. He's only three appearances away from having more Champions League appearances than any other player in history so I imagine they'll wanna give him that accolade.

And it's been almost twenty years since a club was able to retain the champions league title so fingers crossed eh?
Things are different in America. If Manchester United win, I get the shaft from all of my friends for weeks who are basically just bandwagon fans and to be honest, I just want a good game which is what I will get right?

EDIT:
Well, Manchester United have only been in the final 3 times but they also broke an English (what's the word I'm looking for here?) when they beat Porto at El Draggeo

I have only been to London once...
Anyways, even if Man U do lose the Champions League, I still think that the English Premier League will still be better known as a whole.

Oh and being from Newcastle, what is it that the Newcastle Fans like about Joey Barton? I actually didn't see much wrong with his tackle agains't Alonso (should have only been a yellow) but then I saw his other stuff.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
We don't like anything about Joey Barton.

I do a lot of my athletic training in a facility directly next door to the Newcastle training headquarters and the week of his suspension I saw an amusing little sign nailed to a post next to the entrance. 'For Sale - Joey Barton - 50 pence. Will also accept prison sentence as form of payment.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)