To The Defy the End Chapter 1: Havoc in Mt. Coronet

"Oh, hi Natu. You are that same Natu, right? I remember you from the days of R--"

"Shut up."

"Oh, yes. Right. I mean from the Realm. Right?"

Follow Natu.

Deciding to heed the Natu's request, the party gathers around her.

(You've come. I'm afraid the one you're looking for is no longer here; with Itsumo so close, I had sent him away.)

So Walker's gone. You've tripped and tumbled through a cave, pissed off several pokemon and nearly got killed by, among other things, an eldritch abomination, all for nothing. Just peachy.

(For now, it's too soon to understand the motives of all the players in this vision, nor for anyone other than my fellow agents and myself to get near him. Your efforts aren't wasted, however, which is why I returned to speak with you; We need your help as well as his...)

Well, since you've come all this way, you might as well listen to her request. The scene cuts away to the murals of the cavern where you fought Itsumo; focusing primarily on the great mural of Arceus.

(Ages ago, there were four riders who fought against the Demon. They lost, but weakened him enough to allow the beings of Knowledge, Will, and Emotion to seal him away. They used special weapons blessed by Arceus to do so, but the blessings on them have surely faded by now.)

And then to another mural depicting what appears to be four altars...

(Across the world, there are four Shrines: Ruin, Destruction, Desperation, and Oblivion. Send word to the trainers seeking to stop the Demon: go to the Shrines, and speak with the guardians to obtain the weapons there. Bring the weapons back here, and empower them with Arceus's blessing by using all sixteen of the plates. Be warned: the guardians will likely test you before allowing you the keys to bringing down the Demon.)

And another depicting what appears to be a lone warrior...

(But more must be done: you must also learn of others like the one the Demon chases. Follow the trail of the one that the Agents protect, and seek what he seeks. The history of him will be made clear.)

And then the scene fades back to you and the Natu.

(Only when these visions are fulfilled, will the mortals of this world have a chance at stopping the Demon for another age... and alert those in charge of the efforts, that if the visions are not fulfilled one way, they will be fulfilled in another.)

Leaving you with those ominous words, the Natu vanishes in a flash of light, teleporting to where you presume she took Walker.

-END CHAPTER 1-

Prizes:

Maxim:
9 + 2 = 11 CC
Colossoil: +12 MC
+3 Exploration Tokens

AOPSUser:
6 + 2 = 8 CC
Revenankh: +12 MC and 1 KOC
+3 Exploration Tokens

The Wanderer:
5 + 5 + 9 + 6 + (31 / 3) = 35 UC​

Chased by Fear and guided by fate,
Away from demons one must wait.

Great job, out there, guys.

Anyway, With the beta finally over, this thread is open to discussion.

EDIT: Ha ha! Time for thoughtless, incoherent rambling! We'll start with the negatives.

Let's start with the most obvious issue - Infinite recoveries/chills. Let's not kid ourselves - Max and AOPS could just stop the game to heal up whenever they wanted, and were thus in no danger at all. Considering what to do about it, I see three possible outcomes:

1) Continue to allow r/cs to be used whenever, but set a finite amount for the campaign. This is probably the simplest answer to the issue, but could still stop the flow of play if the trainers are far enough ahead with plenty of healing in their reserves.
2) Limit r/cs to battles only, finite or no. Both options would keep the game flowing, but still have problems. Finite r/cs that replenish with each fight encourages good EN management, but there's also the issue of...you know, bad luck, especially if the enemies get severely buffed (more on that later). Having as many r/cs as you want might be warranted in such a case, but even so, still has the potential for abuse.
3) This one is something of a compromise; set two different r/c limits; one for fights that replenishes each encounter, and one for the campaign in general. Run out of chills in a fight scene? You take one from your main pool. Out of chills there, too? Well, tough shit.

The other big problem was the difficulty level of the enemies. Itsumo may have been toying with the heroes, but I doubt he intended to be that horribly underwhelming. I think it goes without saying we're going to see some significant buffs to both stats and moves.

Finally, on a personal note, while I did take quite a few liberties with the source material, I don't think I improvised as much as I should have, especially regarding Maxim's second character. Take his scene with the Gyarados, for example. I could have factored that into the fight with the Magikarp horde, but didn't. Hell, I didn't even go into any real dickery with the enemies. Also, fluff was kinda lacking during the fight scenes.

But enough negativity; let's hear some of the good shit. In spite of my lacking the aforementioned dickery, I really did like everyone involved getting to be a lot more freeform than what battles these days have; it was a lot of fun. I also liked how no one thought to bring a torch to a cave...man, I was looking forward to seeing you guys fumble around and/or stumble face-first into a Nosepass and/or get eaten by a grue!

...well, until you guys convinced me the flame orb could be used as a light.

Oh, also, Cassida the sword of exposition was a nice touch.

I'll probably be be adding more to this post as time passes, but all and all, it was a great time. See you guys in the next run, same Smog-time, same Smog-channel!

Last edited:

"Hey, it wasn't a trap after all! I have to go now, to see an...associate about the Itsumo matter. Tut, I believe Maxim and Terra deserve to know everything about me."

*vanishes in a flash of light*

"Who...has he gone to see?"

"My master said to tell you everything. Well, his real name is Imhotep."

"Wasn't that some Egyptian guy?"

"Not just some Egyptian guy. He invented Egyptian magic. And Greek and Roman magic after that. But that's a really long story. It began with him discovering the immortality spell."

"So...about Itsumo."

"Itsumo was one of his students. One day, he forgot to lock his dark magic scrolls securely in his cabinet. Itsumo was able to steal them. He even got his hands on a spell to create his own realm. He planned to destroy the world, but the four horsemen stopped him. He came back to Egypt to try to steal the immortality scroll. Master copied it into a clever decoy. It worked but backfired and turned Itsumo into the monster he is now. Ever since, he has been chasing Itsumo."

"Where's that scroll now?"

"He burned it. It nearly got stolen many times. Itsumo was only the first. A guy called Moses tried to bargain Ramses for it. You know, I'll-stop-the-plague-if-you-give-me-the-scroll kind of thing. He didn't get it. Later there was some Greek called Sisyphus. He chained Thanatos, god of death, and offered him in ransom for the scroll. My master burned it in front of his face. Several months wasted on a manhunt. That wasn't fun."

"So...you're actually Tut."

"Tutankhamen, but yeah, you can call me Tut. I'm not even the first pharaoh Master's done this to. But that doesn't matter. All you really need to know is, he's been trying to get Itsumo for more than six thousand years."

"Wasn't Imhotep a god of Egypt or something?"

"Everyone believed it. He was just an immortal human. People also confused him with Thoth a lot. Both of them had plenty of spells. Then when the Greeks came to Egypt, he became Hecate for them, and for the Romans later. In 476 AD. he retired from being a god. Tiring work and all that. He's been just quietly chasing Itsumo."

"Hecate was a goddess."

"He is really, really good at disguises. No one could figure out who he was."

"So where is he now?"

"I imagine, somewhere in Asia, talking to Thanatos."

--------somewhere in Pakistan-----------

"I have to say, Thanatos, I liked the Himalayas better."

"Blame Al-Qaeda. I have to go whereever there is the most death. I can't be in China, Syria, Afghanistan, and India all at once. So here is a good spot."

*bombs go off in the distance*

"Their rockets have horrible aim, by the way. And did you get a lead on Itsumo?"

"I found him. And I found Walker's Natu. Though I still do not have the details."

"So, when do we attempt a direct assault?"

"Actually, we may have to resort to Plan B."

"We don't have a Plan B."

"We do now. The Four Horsemen."

"Wait, no. Not them. Are you really serious?"

"Dead serious. Oh, and a few trainers managed to get the Horsemen's weapons a while back, in the Icy Forest. Maybe if we can contact them, we can try to work out a plan."

*in the distance, a tank explodes in a red flash*

"I have souls to claim now. When I return we shall discuss Plan B further."

*vanishes in a wisp of smoke*

--------------

Well this was really fun and interesting. I look forward to see how this thing will go in the future.

Also if the Icy Forest guys can come back to the questline here that would be convenient. The weapons would be really, really nice.

"What?...No Imhotep was just an architect that built a bunch of tombs and stuff there's no way---"

"How do you think he built them?"

Terra gave a blank stare at this response, then a few seconds later Tut vanished, presumably to meet up with his master again.

"...What on earth is going on? So let me get this all straight, in one day I meet up with a talking sword, two demon lords, find out that one of them is trying to kill Walker, find out that the Four Riders of the freaking Apocalypse are the only hope of stopping said demon lord, find out that we now need to find these weapons, and even find out that the person we've been traveling with is some kind of wacky Egyptian sorcerer!? Somebody wake me up already..."

*Smack!*

"Ow! What did you do that for!"

*Matter of factly* "Why, to wake you up of course! You're awake now!"

"Oh for Pete's sake. Ugh, no matter, let's report our results to HQ. I just hope Rosch's Flame Orb holds out..."

"Nah, just return him, I have my own light."

"Graaaahhh!"

"Wha...YOU HAD THAT THIS WHOLE TIME AND DIDN'T TELL US! WHAT THE HECK DUDE!"

"Hahaha. At any rate, shall we return?"

"Yeah, that sounds like a good idea."

And so the duo returned to the ASB Headquarters to turn in their reports. Maxim and Terra didn't talk to each other much on the way there, and they went their separate ways.

"Wow...I feel like I just returned from a nightmare. Maybe my head will feel better in the morning."

"Yeah, I know this has been a lot to take in, just rest now, I'm sure you'll catch up eventually."

"Well, maybe. Worst part is I don't think the big guys at the top are going to believe me, and once that document leaks...oh boy."

"Eh, it could be worse."

"Dang it, swords are NOT supposed to talk, how'd you get into that silly thing anyways?"

"Well...wait, how did you know I used to be human before getting sealed in this sword?"

"Uh...nuts. Well I suppose it can't hurt to tell you my little secret. I have a slight case of being telepathic. I just don't tell people about it because it tends to freak them out. At least this ability helps a lot for getting a director's vision of a movie shoot though."

"Ah, so that's how you knew Colossoil was coming up that time. That's a pretty cool ability."

"You'd think, but alas, it also comes with the side effect of being a bit more susceptible to auras like the one Itsumo put out. How did you manage that anyways?"

"Oh, I've had a lot of practice. Now that I think about it though, I find it odd that you're complaining about all of this when you have a gift that would be considered by most to be unusual."

"Well...sure but most Psychic types are telepathic or similar, this is weird on a whole different level."

"Heh, I understand. As for me...well I don't really feel comfortable telling you right now, just know that I'm on your side."

*Sigh* "I guess, though I really wish somebody would give me some answers right now."

Here Terra decided to get ready for bed, then laid down, giving a big sigh doing so.

"I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep tonight."

"Don't worry, just sleep tight."

A few minutes later.

("Good, she's asleep. Ah, I really wish I could tell her everything I know, but I worry that doing so might cause fate to get off course. No matter, I'll tell her everything I know in due time. Hmm...still, I can't believe Itsumo is back...

Everything we did...was it all for nothing?")

In the meantime, Maxim was busy reading up on things after turning in his report. What, you're still wondering why I'm in two places at once? Don't sweat it, all will be revealed in due time. After a quick trip to the library, he went outside to see if he could find anything useful

"Bah...this isn't turning up very much at all. If I didn't know any better, I'd say Itsumo went out and erased everyone who wrote history about him."

"Not exactly outside the realm of possibility master. Still, I wish we could find some more information about Itsumo, and especially what Walker has to do with all this. At any rate, did you find out anything about that 'Sword of Darkness' I mentioned earlier?

"Not really...a few mentions here and there but not much substantial. At any rate...(I'm still wondering about that whole deal of killing Walker)"

("Oh yeah, you told that blasted Natu about my plan didn't you!")

("No I did not, if only because I haven't heard your full reasoning yet.")

("Right...well basically we know Itsumo said that Walker was an unwitting pawn.")

("Hold on, we don't know that for certain.")

("Perhaps, but I think it probably was Walker he was referring to. To be quite honest, I don't have the full picture yet, so I can't make any definitive conclusions, but here's what I'm thinking. Walker seems to be going around to these different sites, avoiding basically all contact with people. Now, if I was being chased by a nutjob demon lord, I think I'd probably want to tell somebody, even if I had to neglect mentioning that the thing after me is a demon lord. What I'm wondering is, why hasn't Walker told anybody the full story yet? By itself, this might just be that he's worried that any helpers might lead his enemies to him, but what makes me suspicious is that Natu's story. If he really wanted us to help, he would've taken us to Walker to get all the details, then just teleported anyone with bad intentions out if needed. All of this is making me believe Walker...in fact all of the Pokemon associated with him, are hiding something massively problematic. I don't know what yet, we need more info to make sure of all this, but between the cryptic advice of the supposed good guys and Itsumo's 'unwitting pawn' comment...I think we may need to get rid of the pawn.")

("Hmm...")

("What, no 'oh we can't kill an innocent person even though they might hurt people' lecture? What's gotten into you?")

("Just thinking...every time I haven't done as you suggested, people have gotten hurt because of my inaction. I don't have any intention of getting people hurt this time around. If I have to kill Walker to save the realities, then so be it. But for now, I believe there is a library in Sinnoh where we can get more information on local legends.")

("Sure, but weren't we just in Sinnoh? And besides that what if Terra and the people around here come up with anything?")

"Heh, I have a plan for that one. Come on out Phantos and Spectra!"

l

Phantos l Spectra

"All right, Malus, translate for me if you please. Listen up you two, I have a mission for you two that requires the utmost attention. We need to track down Walker, and anything related to the Four Riders of the Apocalypse, the Sword of Shadows, or Itsumo. Spectra, I want you to run around ASB, wherever you can find stuff related to the Eternal Drifter, or any other expeditions that people might make, I want you to head there and gather as much information as you can. As for you Phantos, I have a special assignment for you. The one known as Terra, I want you to follow her, and see if she finds anything of note regarding Walker. I have a feeling she will get some more info than either I or Malus can. Do you two know your missions?"

The both of them complied, then flew away towards their destinations.

("That's all well and good, but what about the priest?")

("Eh, given everything that the Revenankh told us, I don't think it's going to be possible to spy on the priest if he doesn't want us to. Better to stick with less capable individuals.")

("Very well, off to Sinnoh we go then.")

Phew, that was quite a nice adventure, I really enjoyed it. Here's just a few thoughts from me.

Regarding infinite chills and recoveries, I think the best way to go about this is just allow an infinite amount in battles, and a small amount anywhere else. You have to realize that in battle, trying to chill gives you one turn of doing nothing while the boss slaps you, so I think it's fine to have them infinite in battles. I think a small amount of them outside of battle is necessary simply because certain RP events will probably require energy, and if you can't climb up a cliff because you ran out of energy on that boss, I don't think it's fair to punish the player unless they're playing poorly.

For the bosses, yeah Itsumo could've been tougher, but by the same token we avoided practically all the fights. All we fought was the Magikarp (Colossoil only, and the Magikarp fled after a while), a 200 HP Crobat (We had super effective attacks against it, and it fled after a while too), and a 300 HP Itsumo (who happened to be 4x weak to something we had access to for most of the fight). Could they use a buff? Yeah, but I think a lot of it was the enemies just fleeing after a certain point, so I don't think they need to be buffed to raid level threats.

Yeah, I'm not sure I like the very first chapter being in a cave, mostly because it requires A) somebody to have purchased a temporary Everburning Torch beforehand or B) somebody to bring a fire type, with a Rock type miniboss hanging around. Neither of those seem very...good in my opinion.

As for the mechanics themselves, they seem pretty solid. The only question I have, and I think the role playing committee probably wonders this too, is how to make this more different from say a TLR with a story. Basically I'm thinking opening up a story maker mode where people can submit stories, and if they pass muster, allowing others to play through them would be a great deal. That said, the open endedness is a nice feature as well that should be sold as a major difference.

Cassida was fun to write for this chapter, I kind of like the concept of having the exposition sword be an actual character involved with the plot. I think it makes for a bit of an interesting dynamic there.

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is improvisation. Yes it can lead to some really cool stuff if handled properly, but if handled less properly it could make a chapter much harder than it was intended to be.

That's pretty much all I have. Thanks for the reffing and for helping me have a blast with this.

Last edited:
Well done, Maxim, AOPSUser, and The Wanderer! Congratulations on completing and reffing Chapter 1 of To Defy the End!

I see the problem with infinite chills and recoveries; they can make things too easy, always being close to full energy and, if there's a healer (like AOPSUser this time around), close to full health as well. In fact, I think with the constant healing, the difficulty was broken in half. Granted, there is justification for resting whenever one wishes outside of battle, but maybe there should be a limit to how much people chill to aid the flow of the RP. Perhaps if one rests too long, bad things happen (like a buff to the health and power of all enemies, maybe, signaled by an ominous wind going through all the trainers)?

Also, I only made a couple changes to the data once the RP started, as The Wanderer can attest to. Once it was clear to me that the two players were getting through the battles all realtively in good condition, I added a couple moves to Itsumo's movepool to make him more dangerous. I also clarified his fighting style, added glowing crystals to the battle-room where Itsumo was fought, mainly so that regardless of light that was brought and regardless of ref, lighting wouldn't be an issue for the trainers, allowing them to focus on the fight on hand. The only other thing I added was sword information on the Natu, and that was unneeded in the end.

If future runs prove to be less dangerous than anticipated, I'll simply make things more dangerous. Its likely that, in updating the data in the future, I'll increase the health of the 'always agressive' enemies here and also increase their stats.

The darkness thing? That was something The Wanderer came up with, going off of AOPSUser's first post. I had nothing to do with it. It may vary from ref to ref, but The Wanderer has set a precident with this, now; it will be up to each individual ref whether they go with it or not.

I talked with Maxim about Adventure Battles overall, and he's convinced me to drop the 'Allied Hunt' section of them. I'll work on converting the five 'Hunts' into 'Delves' so that they can be gone through. I still have to update the 1st Chapter of To Defy the End to 6th Generation, though.

Pending Unlock (upon their completion and update, and approval of the ASB RP council for Adventure Battles):
(Storied Quest) To Defy the End Chapter 2: Shadows Amid the Trees
(Allied Delve) Shrine of Ruin
(Allied Delve) Shrine of Destruction
(Allied Delve) Shrine of Desperation
(Allied Delve) Shrine of Oblivion
(Allied Delve) Blessing of Life

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
This...looks pro. Very pro.

I'd be happy to be the next tester, should you need another one!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)