Pokémon Tyranitar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crunch is too good to pass up specially in this gen where it can now hit steels neutrally. For DD I usually run Dragon Dance, Crunch, Superpower, Stone Edge and it's the set I have had the most success with. Ice Punch is also a good alternative to Superpower. I also tried a Weakness Policy set and it did surprisingly well. The 7 weaknesses means it's often going to be hit super effectively and with T-tar's naturally good bulk it's a really viable item on it. I even sweeped a whole team after Genesect U-turned my T-tar but that was on PO.

EDIT: Updated the OP to include Weakness Policy set and a few other things.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tyranitar can't set up on most things you'd like to Taunt though. Ferrothorn and Trevenant can 2HKO it with STAB moves, Rotom and Tentacruel outspeed it, Forretress can Volt Switch out or hit him with Gyro Ball, etc etc. The list of viable Taunt targets is very short.
To be honest, I used the set back in DPP just to stop Skarmory from pHazing, and it worked quite well. I used it briefly now in XY and it's also did a good job. It can stop Stall teams from statusing/pHazing ttar, and that alone is a pretty big help.

And it's not true that Trev beats Ttar;

+1 252 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Trevenant: 313-370 (83.6 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (I do realize Crunch will OHKO, but most Trevs won't even come in on Ttar anyway, as they will fear an OHKO. And at +2 it's OHKOd by Stone Edge.)

While Horn Leech, on the other hand;

4 Atk Trevenant Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 164-194 (40.5 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I'm not really sure if Horn Leech (or Wood Hammer) are popular moves on Trev because I haven't really seen much besides Shadow Claw, but anyway, there you go.

The real problem with ttar is that it's weak to almost all priorities except sucker punch and Quick Attack/ES. It's x4 weak to Mach Punch which blows now that Conk's usage is up the roof and it's also weak to Bullet Punch and Aqua Jet, both which are really common.

All I'm saying is, you don't miss out on much except for 100% accuracy when you forego Crunch for Taunt. Gengar is still OHKO'd by a +0/+1 Stone Edge.

To be honest, I used the set back in DPP just to stop Skarmory from pHazing, and it worked quite well. I used it briefly now in XY and it's also did a good job. It can stop Stall teams from statusing/pHazing ttar, and that alone is a pretty big help.

And it's not true that Trev beats Ttar;
I meant that taunt can't be used against Trevenant, not that Trevenant beats Tyranitar. If you taunt, it 2HKOs you (nice try using 252 HP Tyranitar in your calc but obviously Dragon Dance sets aren't that bulky), if you don't taunt it burns you while you fail to OHKO. I just meant that taunt doesn't help much in this situation. Your argument is "Tyranitar can beat Trevenant without Crunch", it doesn't mention taunt at all.

Of course taunt is good against Skarmory, but you'd be better off running a fire move since that has utility against lots of other popular pokemon which I don't need to list. Taunt doesn't really do much except against obscure stuff like Dusclops, as I said most things you'd like to taunt can just attack and beat Tyranitar if you try.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I meant that taunt can't be used against Trevenant, not that Trevenant beats Tyranitar. If you taunt, it 2HKOs you (nice try using 252 HP Tyranitar in your calc but obviously Dragon Dance sets aren't that bulky), if you don't taunt it burns you while you fail to OHKO. I just meant that taunt doesn't help much in this situation. Your argument is "Tyranitar can beat Trevenant without Crunch", it doesn't mention taunt at all.

Of course taunt is good against Skarmory, but you'd be better off running a fire move since that has utility against lots of other popular pokemon which I don't need to list. Taunt doesn't really do much except against obscure stuff like Dusclops, as I said most things you'd like to taunt can just attack and beat Tyranitar if you try.
Derp. That 252 HP was automatically added in the calc, didn't even notice it. :| Sorry about that. I guess you're right.

Hmm, so TaunTar fails against Trev without crunch, that's disappointing.

What about running Crunch + EQ or Crunch + Stone Edge then? I don't know if that makes ttar walled by certain mons, though. But I guess Dual Stab now is pretty nice since Dark isn't resisted by Steel anymore.

Honestly, I kind of just want to run Fire Blast on Mega Ttar now. I don't like it when people switch Ferrothorn in.

Tyranitar is sooooo popular but I don't get how? How do you utilize him?

I'm using the cookie cutter Adamnt 252 HP /252 attk build with leftovers or Megastone

Stone edge
Crunch
EQ
SR

But I don't really know what's hes good at. He's slow with like around 6 weaknesses.

I never feel like he brings anything meaningful to the team.

Unlike say other OU favourites like gliscor who is a great physical Wall and has immunity status helpful vs status abusers, greninja who has access to multiple STABs etc, Aegislash jack of all trades good wall and sweeper all in one, Scizor strong priority revenge killer and pursuit trapping etc etc.

Nothing exactly stands out to me when using tyranitar. Bulky Special wall? Sure but sooo many frikkin weaknesses and lack of recovery moves like poison heal or leech seed, roost,softboil. He wanes out eventually

I must be doing something wrong since he's so popular.

Last edited:
Tyranitar is sooooo popular but I don't get how? How do you utilize him?
See this?

Tyranitar.jpg

That's what Tyranitar is. On top of being the most powerful weather setter outside of Ubers and the best Pursuit user in the game, Tyranitar is versatile as fuck. Just off the top of my head, here are some of the sets that T-Tar could be running at any given moment.

-SR lead
-Pursuit Trapper
-Choice Band
-Scarf user
-Mixed
-Weakness Policy
-Assault Vest
-Dragon Dancer
-Mega Dragon Dancer

And no matter what set it runs it's always providing team support with Sandstorm.

The most important thing you're missing is Pursuit. Tyranitar is excellent at wearing any pokemon down with pursuit, stealth rock and sandstorm and is very hard to switch into thanks to his very impressive dark/rock/fire coverage. He also has impressive versatility including the ability to go mixed, and some very good alternative options such as Dragon Dance, Thunder Wave, Dragon Tail, even Curse. He can take practically any attack except fighting or STAB super effective physical attacks and likely K.O the opponent back.

Probably the reason you're not having success is that your set isn't very good. That's not a cookie cutter set at all.

No, I'd say that set is pretty cookie cutter, but not very well geared towards this gen. That set is very basic, simple, and safe, but I feel like Tyranitar is supposed to be more dynamic.

Btw, on the Weakness Policy set, which is preferred, Dragon Dance or Rock Polish. And Jolly vs Adamant?

The most important thing you're missing is Pursuit. Tyranitar is excellent at wearing any pokemon down with pursuit, stealth rock and sandstorm and is very hard to switch into thanks to his very impressive dark/rock/fire coverage. He also has impressive versatility including the ability to go mixed, and some very good alternative options such as Dragon Dance, Thunder Wave, Dragon Tail, even Curse. He can take practically any attack except fighting or STAB super effective physical attacks and likely K.O the opponent back.

Probably the reason you're not having success is that your set isn't very good. That's not a cookie cutter set at all.
I use pursuit as well it does not feel anywhere as effective as scizor when I'm at risk being focus blasted all the time. But then again maybe I just don't how to utilize it with tyranitar.

In fact I always feel like I'm in danger using tyranitar due to his typing.

See this?

View attachment 6114

That's what Tyranitar is. On top of being the most powerful weather setter outside of Ubers and the best Pursuit user in the game, Tyranitar is versatile as fuck. Just off the top of my head, here are some of the sets that T-Tar could be running at any given moment.

-SR lead
-Pursuit Trapper
-Choice Band
-Scarf user
-Mixed
-Weakness Policy
-Assault Vest
-Dragon Dancer
-Mega Dragon Dancer

And no matter what set it runs it's always providing team support with Sandstorm.
What do you mean by support with sandstorm?... with the nerf I haven't seen many weather oriented teams in a while. It feels like it just helps itself.

What do you mean by support with sandstorm?... with the nerf I haven't seen many weather oriented teams in a while. It feels like it just helps itself.
The chip damage from Sandstorm (along with some hazards) helps turn what would have been 3HKOS into 2HKOs and turns 2HKOs into OHKOs. Plus it negates the opponent's Leftovers recovery.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I've been having huge success with an adamant (could probably change this) 252HP/252SpD M-Ttar in my mono-dark wifi team. Him and mandibuzz go really well together.
Helps out a load vs bugs not named scizor or heracross, but sableye and mandibuzz handle those two pretty well.

I usually run my Tyranitar:

Alpha (Tyranitar) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SDef
Impish Nature
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail

I can take Physical hits on it relatively well and retaliate, I can take Special moves VERY well thanks to Sandstorm and Vest, and if need be I can phaze things or annoy the likes of Alakazam (or equivalent squishy Psychic type special attackers) and anybody who still uses a Gengar at this point.

Still have stuff to work on, but this is just how I like to run my TTar. I used to run a simple HP/Attack split, but meh, I like being able to take at least 1 EQ on this spread even better than I like KOing annoying Special Sweepers.

Also please excuse the fact that I have no post count and I run a 252/252/6 on my TTar, I'm not exactly a Forums person and this is my first time bothering to interact in forums instead of lurk from the outskirts.

EDIT: I prefer Singles, so don't judge this set by VGC standards, thanks.

Hmm, not bad.

252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 236-280 (58.4 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 240-284 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 272-324 (67.3 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 252-296 (62.3 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 302-356 (74.7 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 222-264 (54.9 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not sure if you would want to run Crunch over Pursuit though. Pursuit is great when you're running 252 Attack EVs because it'd kill anyone you'd use it on even if they don't switch. With 0 EVs though, the extra power from Crunch seems really important.

0 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 336-396 (128.2 - 151.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 168-200 (64.1 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

0 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 416-492 (165 - 195.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 210-248 (83.3 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Espeon: 336-396 (123.5 - 145.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Espeon: 168-200 (61.7 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

Hmm, not bad.

252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 236-280 (58.4 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 240-284 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 272-324 (67.3 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 252-296 (62.3 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 302-356 (74.7 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 222-264 (54.9 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not sure if you would want to run Crunch over Pursuit though. Pursuit is great when you're running 252 Attack EVs because it'd kill anyone you'd use it on even if they don't switch. With 0 EVs though, the extra power from Crunch seems really important.

0 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 336-396 (128.2 - 151.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 168-200 (64.1 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

0 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 416-492 (165 - 195.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 210-248 (83.3 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Espeon: 336-396 (123.5 - 145.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Espeon: 168-200 (61.7 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
That is why you run both Crunch and Pursuit. It's not like Tyranitar needs much else, especially with Steel no longer resisting Dark.

I quite like the dragon dance set , Tyranitar gets more defence and under sand it makes it easy to wall a pokemon , such mega maneteric , talonflame , moltres and zapdos . Or bulk out a hit from something that does not have a fighting move. When they switch , dragon dance and destroy pokemon such as mega alakazam and genger with the speed boost i think . With Rocks in play , only some priority moves counter a weakned tyranitar

Is there anything that absolutely requires mega tyranitar to have earthquake? cause I was thinking of running a set like this:

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
EV's 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
My team would probably lead with a smeargle, and maybe a gliscor (taunt set)

Is there anything that absolutely requires mega tyranitar to have earthquake? cause I was thinking of running a set like this:

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
EV's 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
My team would probably lead with a smeargle, and maybe a gliscor (taunt set)
Well to me the most obvious problem with not running EQ is that Aegislash screws you over with King's Shield + Sacred Sword, and having to lower your stats to beat opposing Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Heatran kind of sucks too.

Edit: You also have trouble with Lucario and Bulky Exca too, so... just run EQ.

Well to me the most obvious problem with not running EQ is that Aegislash screws you over with King's Shield + Sacred Sword, and having to lower your stats to beat opposing Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Heatran kind of sucks too.

Edit: You also have trouble with Lucario and Bulky Exca too, so... just run EQ.
Im not one for calcs, but wouldn't lucario fear a dd superpower? I would think he couldn't switch into a dd crunch and then not be knocked out in the following turn. I suppose aegislash and excadrill could be issues, but gliscor is there for that, plus I find KS aegislash to be predictable. If he doesn't ks 1st chance then he's dead, but if he does then switch into something that can either take a sacred sword, or counter what he thinks you want to switch into (as long as you're confident it can take a sacred sword just in case)

I think Mega Tyranitar is one of the more underrated Megas out there. It's huge defense boosts and attack boosts make it a fearsome threat. My favorite set is this:

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
- Ice Beam
- Pursuit
- Dragon Tail/ Crunch/ Rock Slide/ Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

I love Mega-Tyranitar as my Stealth Rock user because it absolutely destroys Magic Bounce users like Espeon. The last attacking move is pretty hard to choose. Crunch is the safest choice for strong neutral damage, but Fire Blast hits Ferrethorn and Scizor very hard. Rock Slide is for reliable Rock STAB. I personally like using Dragon Tail because I also use a Spiker so the Hazard damage really adds up. Ice Beam I think is awesome for the surprise hit on Dragons and Gliscor and other grounds. It also hits most Defog users Super-Effective, making sure your Rocks stay up. This set is amazing against Volt-turners like Jolteon and U-Turners (although you'll take heft damage) because Pursuit hits very hard and with Sassy you can handle Volt-Switches pretty easily. I'd definitely stay away from Rotom-W though. Dragon Tail makes for some pretty neat mind-games. Most Pokemon tend to stay in because switching could hurt them badly due to Pursuit so you simply switch to the appropriate counter. Its also great for Pokemon that try to set up on Tyranitar. This set appreciates Wish support, since it can't stick around forever. I use Togekiss with Wish as it covers a lot of Tyranitar's weaknesses and Tyranitar can switch into most of Togekiss' neutral weaknesses and take little damage with his huge defenses.

Im not one for calcs, but wouldn't lucario fear a dd superpower?
Of course, but that wasn't my point; my point was that if you are running Superpower you are forced to lower your stats to deal with Tyranitar, Terrakion, Heatran, Exca, and Luke and therefore make yourself more prone to being revenge killed and hampering your potential sweep when you could deal with all of them just fine with a boosted EQ. Superpower doesn't really provide that much more in terms of coverage, so the only advantage I could see to using it would be to get past Air Balloon users, which isn't a good enough reason to run it imo.

Anyone tried a RestTalk set? Something along the lines of:

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite/Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Crunch / More desirable coverage if running Power-Up Punch (Rockslide perhaps as Stone Edge has low PP and accuracy)
- Curse / Power-Up Punch / Dragon Dance
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

I saw a set similar to this touted in a DPPt OU team, seems like with the lift of dark resist from Steel it might have a new lease of life. Sure Fairy now resists, but so what? That's what the rest of your team is for. The only things with x4 Dark resists are Pangoro and Scrafty, and they really aren't common.

What do people think would be better Curse (more tanky), Power-Up Punch (no longer mono attacking) or Dragon Dance (able to outspeed the competition with about a +3 boost or so) for the last slot? Forgoing Curse, how would you change up the EVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)