Hey just a nitpick, this set doesn't have natures attached
Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
- Crunch / Payback
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge / Ice Beam / Fire Blast
- Superpower / Low Kick

I assume you'd like to be running a careful nature or sassy if you're running a special attack.

Hey just a nitpick, this set doesn't have natures attached
Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
- Crunch / Payback
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge / Ice Beam / Fire Blast
- Superpower / Low Kick

I assume you'd like to be running a careful nature or sassy if you're running a special attack.
Edit: Sorry I quoted the wrong user.

I tried running a similar set, but I found out it doesn't hit hard enough. I don't think it needs that much investment in SpD as under sand with AV you get a 100% boost to your special side.

I have 56 in SpD which gives it a total 250 SpD.

252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 184-220 (45.5 - 54.4%) -- 52.3% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 56 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 224-264 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Sure, the 252 SpD will take special better, but it won't hit as hard.

I personally run this AV set':

Tyranifag (Tyranitar) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 176 HP / 136 Def / 56 SDef / 140 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

I'm not sure if I need the 136 in Defence, I made that team while drunk and I found out that this Tyranitar is actually decent.

I wanna try to run one with full Attack, 56 SpD and the rest in HP or split between HP and Def or maybe speed (But I have to see how I need/can speed creep)

Since this thread has been resurrected, I just want to say that the dragon dance M-tar set is really, really good!

I have a question... I was looking at smogon's BW sets for Tyranitar... and actually saw a specially offensive set. Could that work in this metagame?

I have a question... I was looking at smogon's BW sets for Tyranitar... and actually saw a specially offensive set. Could that work in this metagame?
T-Tat's special attack is not bad in being 95, but I never saw anyone running 4 special moves on it.

It can learn Focus Blast, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Fire Blast/Flamethrower which gives it great coverage. But it doesn't have a powerful Rock stab move, as Ancient Power is only 60BP which pales in comparison when compared to Stone Edge, or even Rock Slide, but at least it has perfect accuracy.

Though, running Fire Blast on a normal set is not a bad idea to hit Ferrothorn without recoil and to hit Skarmory .

The problem I always have with mixed sets is that if one of the attack stats isn't your dump stat, what is? I wouldn't want to compromise on t-tar's bulk. I suppose you could dump speed, but outrunning things is important. Gotta go fast...

T-Tat's special attack is not bad in being 95, but I never saw anyone running 4 special moves on it.

It can learn Focus Blast, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Fire Blast/Flamethrower which gives it great coverage. But it doesn't have a powerful Rock stab move, as Ancient Power is only 60BP which pales in comparison when compared to Stone Edge, or even Rock Slide, but at least it has perfect accuracy.

Though, running Fire Blast on a normal set is not a bad idea to hit Ferrothorn without recoil and to hit Skarmory .

Then couldn't you go mixed and use Stone Edge or Rock Slide? The EV spread would need some work but would it be functional in OU?

The problem I always have with mixed sets is that if one of the attack stats isn't your dump stat, what is? I wouldn't want to compromise on t-tar's bulk. I suppose you could dump speed, but outrunning things is important. Gotta go fast...
T-Tar is still pretty bulky, especially if you give it assult vest, plus the sandstream boost, but that's only specially, so...

I've been having tremendous success with the mega-Tyranitar dragon dance set but using a standard leftovers Tyranitar instead.

+1 jolly 61 base with full investment still outruns most things, including everything up to jolly and timid base 115s. The leftovers more than make up for losing the mega's extra bulk, and a +1 stone edge or crunch is devastating even on standard 252ev Tyranitar.

Not much can OHKO a Tyranitar, so the DD setup is pretty straightforward for the main. Then you wreck and heal at the same time.

I've been having tremendous success with the mega-Tyranitar dragon dance set but using a standard leftovers Tyranitar instead.

+1 jolly 61 base with full investment still outruns most things, including everything up to jolly and timid base 115s. The leftovers more than make up for losing the mega's extra bulk, and a +1 stone edge or crunch is devastating even on standard 252ev Tyranitar.

Not much can OHKO a Tyranitar, so the DD setup is pretty straightforward for the main. Then you wreck and heal at the same time.
what about Conkeldurrs? Knock off+ Mach Punch, and can Focus Punch while you go for a DDance. Conkeldurr is slower though, but I also feel that Mienshao is a threat with it's ability to U-Turn as well resistance to Pursuit.

what about Conkeldurrs? Knock off+ Mach Punch, and can Focus Punch while you go for a DDance. Conkeldurr is slower though, but I also feel that Mienshao is a threat with it's ability to U-Turn as well resistance to Pursuit.
If I see a faster or priority fighting type, I switch out (or, ideally, kill it before stsrting the Ttar sweep. ) That's OK though -- with leftover recovery and its natural bulk, it can afford to switch in and out quite regularly.

Its definitely the star of my team, and the beautiful thing is that people never seem to see the DD coming, because it isn't mega.

If I see a faster or priority fighting type, I switch out (or, ideally, kill it before stsrting the Ttar sweep. ) That's OK though -- with leftover recovery and its natural bulk, it can afford to switch in and out quite regularly.

Its definitely the star of my team, and the beautiful thing is that people never seem to see the DD coming, because it isn't mega.
what partners do you use for it? yeah people never see the DD coming but what mega do you use then that has good synergy w/ T-tar here? I can think if a few but SandStream can troll you so hard sometimes with the damage. 1/16 adds up. One thing that really annoys me is when my T-tar gets burned, it attack drops hard, even though it's adamant w/ full investment. Blissey, being bad physically, I find a not very useful cleric.

I never let t-tar get burned. If there is a chance of a burn, I switch to a status absorber. Something fiery or something with natural cure.

In terms of megas: Mega-Char-X is a good partner for double dragon dancing mayhem, although I prefer Talonflame and don't want both. Mega-Venusaur takes care of water and grass types and can also sponge fighting hits.

However, DD Tyranitar is a set-up sweeper that can sit alongside most well balanced teams, frankly. The weather nerf is actually a bi help for its teamplay because sand only lasting 5 terms really restricts chip damage to your own side. First turn is when you switch in T-tar itself. Second turn is when the opponent switches in a check or counter. That only leaves another three turns maximum. A switch to something steel, ground or rock will prevent further chip damage (e.g., if a fighting move is coming, I may switch to Aegislash). A switch to something with leftovers or a recovery move will generally prevent the chips racking up too much.

I use bulk-up Talonflame and find it's a brilliant partner. I have been pairing those two with natural cure scarf Roserade, and she takes care of a lot of what the other two don't like. That gives you another three slots to build with as you see fit -- spinner/defogger, offensive hazard setter and tank are generally my preferred options. If I don't otherwise need the mega slot, I may use a mega-Venusaur instead of Roserade and adjust accordingly.

So far, a specially offensive Rock-Polish set has worked to major success.
Moves: Thunderbolt/Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Dark Pulse, Rock Polish
Modest
252 Spe, 252 SpA, 6 Def

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So far, a specially offensive Rock-Polish set has worked to major success.
Moves: Thunderbolt/Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Dark Pulse, Rock Polish
Modest
252 Spe, 252 SpA, 6 Def
Ironically, that set is hard walled by normal TTar while they Earthquake you next turn as you do very little damage to them. Heatran is also a huge problem.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's a gimmick terrible set. If you so want to use special attacks, then Tyraniboah might still be viable, but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)