UK Pokémon Tournament: London

Count me in! I have been looking forward to entering a VGC in UK for a long long time :)

I heard about GAME supposedly doing a VGC too during this Summer, any news about that?

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think singles should ever be used in tournaments like this lol. Playing doubles has opening me up to how linear singles is lol.

natalie

property of alex
Count me in! I have been looking forward to entering a VGC in UK for a long long time :)

I heard about GAME supposedly doing a VGC too during this Summer, any news about that?
haven't heard anything about it, nothing came up in searches. what's your source?

haven't heard anything about it, nothing came up in searches. what's your source?
It was during the UK Arceus Event at GAME Stores. One of the staff asked about what we thought of a tournament held by GAME through the survey, and I remember her saying they definitely will have one this summer >>

natalie

property of alex
It was during the UK Arceus Event at GAME Stores. One of the staff asked about what we thought of a tournament held by GAME through the survey, and I remember her saying they defiantly will have one this summer >>
hmmm :) will be keeping an eye out for that!

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm, GAME would be pushing it a bit to announce a tournament now.. Although, official events (other than VGC) are usually announced about a week in advance ._.

I'd like to see more variation in these tournaments if possible. Not just VGC 09 every-time, maybe standard OU, Ubers, UU etc.

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to see more variation in these tournaments if possible. Not just VGC 09 every-time, maybe standard OU, Ubers, UU etc.
We've already said that can't be done due to the time it would take. I don't think it'd be very exciting for people to have to sit through a 6-on-6 stall war on a big screen, rounds could potentially last hours :/ And if we add time limits on matches (which would have to be 10 minutes in the earlier rounds) you'd probably only get through about 10-12 turns and every game would go down to a decision on who KOed the most Pokémon / who had the most overall HP left. Not fun. Not doable.

3v3 Singles, 4v4 Doubles are the only viable options I'm afraid. We could try those with different rulings, such as all Ubers allowed, or try out VGC 2010 - maybe even force them to be UU, but there's no Tier List for Double Battles and we know a lot of Pokémon are far more used in that environment.

Thought I'd bumped this up....

Pokerob said the date is for the competition is October 9th and I think it will now be VGC 2010 rules....

Anychance on a time so I can book travel please ;)

Definitely interested in this, VGC '10 rules would be pretty awesome.
Need some confirmation on the date though to book travel and accommodation.
Sounds like it'll be a decent event though ;D

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's been confirmed that Saturday, October 9th will be the date for this. Apparently the 1st place prize is a copy of Pokemon B/W which is pretty awesome.

By the way guys if you plan on going to this, you need to register on the Gamerbase website and put yourself down as attending. Details can be found here: http://www.pokemonworld.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=4522

This is gonna be pretty damn good ^_^

Havak

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. I'm not sure how many players will attend, but I think at least 32 should show up. 32 would be perfectly fine for a tournament like this and I'm sure it'd be a lot of fun competing and meeting lots of Smogon members (or members you know from other forums who are going).

I think I'll take a back seat and let someone else win this one :P I would like to attend, but it'd cost me quite a bit too get to London, and considering there's one in Manchester a month later, I'd rather go to just that one as it's far easier to get to and I know the staff there. The prizes will be basically the same, I'm just going to open it up for debate as to whether we stick to VGC 2009 Rules or go for VGC 2010.

Prizes will at least include a Nintendo DSi XL, Japanese copies of Black & White, and a few other things.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. I'm not sure how many players will attend, but I think at least 32 should show up. 32 would be perfectly fine for a tournament like this and I'm sure it'd be a lot of fun competing and meeting lots of Smogon members (or members you know from other forums who are going).

I think I'll take a back seat and let someone else win this one :P I would like to attend, but it'd cost me quite a bit too get to London, and considering there's one in Manchester a month later, I'd rather go to just that one as it's far easier to get to and I know the staff there. The prizes will be basically the same, I'm just going to open it up for debate as to whether we stick to VGC 2009 Rules or go for VGC 2010.

Prizes will at least include a Nintendo DSi XL, Japanese copies of Black & White, and a few other things.
awesome prizes havak, shame you cant make london....see you in manchester :)

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
Count me in...

Pokérob said:
Plus I loled because I thought what was funny was VGC10 you got Kinneas coming runner up (shoulda won) and then going out round 1 in VGC09 rulings, hence his request
With direct eliminations that doesn't mean anything...

Count me in...

With direct eliminations that doesn't mean anything...
Or perhaps he just was unlucky, plus the fact he did say it because he didn't like the format hence he's coming here since it's VGC10 rulings. :)

The first post has been significantly updated so check that out peeps!

Or perhaps he just was unlucky, plus the fact he did say it because he didn't like the format hence he's coming here since it's VGC10 rulings. :)

The first post has been significantly updated so check that out peeps!
So, is there a DSi XL prize or not? The first post says there isn't one, but Havak claims there is. Which is correct?

EDIT: The wording of the 'flat battle' rules is a bit convoluted. Here's my suggested changes:
Each match is played using the Pokémon Battle Revolution game on Nintendo Wii using the Nintendo DS wireless connectivity.
  • Each player uses four Pokémon during the battle, and sends out two Pokémon at a time.
  • Each player may see the species of the opponent's Pokémon before choosing the four to be used. (I don't know whether anything is being done about this, but it's how PBR normally behaves)
  • Pokémon Battle Revolution's Level 50 Battle mode will be used.
  • The Level 50 Battle rules have an auto-level feature, which sets all Pokémon to level 50 for the duration of the battle with the following parameters:
  • Each Pokémon retains all of the moves that it knew before being auto-levelled
  • Pokémon that evolve after level 50 do not devolve when auto-levelled
  • The Pokémon's stats are adjusted to what its level 50 stats would be
Basically, I changed 'flat battle' to the more accurate 'level 50 battle', and merged the line stating lower levelled Pokémon will also be levelled up with the first line. Also, I added a few things about PBR.

natalie

property of alex
So, is there a DSi XL prize or not? The first post says there isn't one, but Havak claims there is. Which is correct?
we will be giving away a dsi xl at the gamerbase manchester tournament, that's what havak means :) not sure if pokerob is giving one away in the london tournament that he's running.

Yeah, first prize isn't that special. It's gonna be harder to convince my parents to let me go now, but I'll still try.

Difference is Havak has Nintendo supporting his tournament upon request, I don't know what Chimba is doing in regards to requesting nintendo as I think we would need a successful tournament to go ahead in order to get wii's dsi xls etc from nintendo in the first place.

As for Wichu's suggestions, yes I agree with them and I'll forward it on.

natalie

property of alex
Difference is Havak has Nintendo supporting his tournament upon request, I don't know what Chimba is doing in regards to requesting nintendo as I think we would need a successful tournament to go ahead in order to get wii's dsi xls etc from nintendo in the first place.

As for Wichu's suggestions, yes I agree with them and I'll forward it on.
gamerbase manchester has nintendo support as a result of the tournament organised by havak and i etc, and because we have hmv behind us, which is an incentive for them as we are the biggest chain of stores that sell games in the uk. obviously you can't just write a letter to "sir/madam" at nintendo with some event photos attached and ask for free wii's and dsi xl's lol :) or you could, but i can guarantee you won't get anything.

i thought you guys were putting in your own money for the prize pot, to buy the dsi xl?

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So what's the tournament format? Gamerbase website says Round Robin, and I can't see anywhere on the first post stating otherwise. I doubt you'll be doing a round robin tournament with nearly 64 people. Swiss or Double Elimination would be nice...

Havak

I very much expect this tournament to be a Single Elimination one. I'll speak to Ivan and see what he says, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)