VGC '12 Northeast Regional - Philadelphia, PA - Won by JiveTime & KeepBayleefing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we are on a more serious note, I'd just like to kindly remember all the newer members to maybe lurk around a bit more before posting. There are a lot of new people to the Smogon community, and although the VGC portion is very friendly and kind, you don't want to piss anyone off. What I mean is, don't constantly VM people with random bullshit, or bother them to rate your team or battle you. I love helping the Pokemon community and giving back, but also understand that I don't always have time to battle you, rate your team, etc. Please don't bother people constantly about teams. Like Biosci said, if you're going to ask people for Pokemon, ask when you are sure you have a team with those Pokemon. Don't be so demanding, realize that they are fitting you into their schedule. I'm always as polite as possible, saying "thank you so much" and "I really appreciate it" and "take your time!" anytime I am given Pokemon. I make sure they get their credit due in my warstories. I don't think some of you realize how much work and effort goes into RNGing Pokemon. Like Biosci said, RNGing a flawless SHINY Thundurus is incredibly difficult. One of the rudest things you can do is ask for Pokemon and end up not using it. Also, please please please type with proper grammar and spelling. It only makes you look smarter. I'm sorry for posting this mini-rant but it's honestly been bothering me for a while.

I also hate getting shit like "CAN I JOIN TEAM SENIORS??" For those that don't know, "Team" Seniors is just a group of really close friends that happen to be pretty kick ass at Pokemon as well, with several Regional/National champs. We're not a team. We don't build teams together or practice extensively together. We're just a group of mature and awesome (at least in my opinion) Seniors who like to have fun. There's no "application" or anything to get in. Just hang out with us and give us a good impression at VGCs. (basically we're the toddler mighty ducks or ducks JR. maybe even ducks SR.)

On another note, I think it's pretty funny how almost Senior that I have played going to this Regional is running a rain team. Please, I love mirror matches! 9.9 Rain teams aren't easy to use in Seniors/Masters, especially such basic ones like the one my brother used to win Regionals. JRank's Regional team included elements from my brother's team as well as other stuff. When people ask me to rate their team and I see that it's almost an exact copy of my brother's team, what the hell am I supposed to say? I really don't want to single people out but take a look at this and this. Obviously, a standard rain team isn't anyone's team per say, but a lot of people are pairing standard rain teams with my brother's team. Understandable, but a standard team can be used by anyone and it shouldn't be tied to anyone's name. But if you take a look at those two RMT's, they are literally carbon copies of our rain team. From the nature, item, and EV down to every single move. No, changing Rain Dance to Grass Knot (which is a terrible change, btw) does not make it your own team. The team is near perfect IMO. It's just how well you can play with it. Once again, I'm really sorry for pointing out threads and users, but this has been on my mind for a long time and it seriously bothers me.

I hope I'm not giving the wrong impression of myself and the community because we're certainly not like this. I've had the pleasure of meeting so many people from Smogon because of VGC and made some of my best friends today from it. However, I really think this post was necessary in order for those who are new to Smogon to understand the members of this community a bit more. We're obviously very competitive, but friendly as well. However, there's a certain boundary between asking people for Pokemon or battles and pissing the hell out of them. Watch that line please!

don't worry, i won't be mean or hostile or anything like this at all IRL at Philly/Nationals/Worlds. just a caution to everyone, old ane new.

also 8 people tournaments on skarmbliss mean absolutely nothing. neither does beating someone once... or twice.. or four times...
I have to feel like this directed towards me, I am sorry to those that I might have pissed off. I am thinking I pissed you off. I just want to fit in with you guys because you people seem to know everything. I have played pokemon for years and am just learning this stuff. Tell me if I have pissed you off and be completely honest. I want to apologize to people directly. I won't bother anyone like I might have again. Sorry everyone. :(

First off, there is no need to quote my post three posts in a row :P

This wasn't meant to be mean or directed to anyone specifically. I just got a bit pissed after Biosci informed us people were just asking for Pokemon from like its no big deal, and a lot of this has been on my mind. There is no need to appologize (other than being disrespectful to the great RNGers), just learn from your mistakes.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
If you want to talk about this, take it to PM or VM. Any further personal comments about this topic will be deleted and/or warned.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Serially Disgraceful haha. Well you got 3 months to shape up anyway.

Also does anyone know a good hotel around the area.
I linked to one in a nicer area, but it's not near the venue. However, it's perfect if you wanna do some shopping - the Best Western @ King of Prussia.

Sorry I found a better one soul survivor. It is right ABOVE the convention center! Its named the Rennasance. I hope I see you there :D!

I can't wait for April! I am so bored in my game. I'm hatching to get an adament Toxicroak with fake out and drain punch.

lol we'll probably be staying in the cheapest motel around a 10-mile radius and booking it probably the week of this Regional.

I want to stay in a hotel where most of us are staying just so I have someone to talk to. Maybe last minute advice I don't know. I do know that hotels are pretty boring with just my family. I need friends

So I was reading the Athens regional and I saw that there was a hotel discount. I checked back to see here if Philly had one but we don't. Just wondering if there will be?

It depends on the PTO of your regional. Some may go balls deep for their players and find group rates for hotels. As Cybertron has stated, it hasn't happened in the past with the NE regional so don't expect it to happen here.

Also, I've been able to book $50~ per night hotels for the last few years I've been to Philly for TCG Regionals. If you're looking for just any place to stay, there are a lot of decent motels around the area that are just a quick drive away from the convention center. Really depends on how much you're willing to spend. I

Also, I've been able to book $50~ per night hotels for the last few years I've been to Philly for TCG Regionals. If you're looking for just any place to stay, there are a lot of decent motels around the area that are just a quick drive away from the convention center. Really depends on how much you're willing to spend. I
Wow! That's bunch less than $85 for the Athens discount. This info is actually not necessary for me. I was just wondering for the sake of other people. I won't need a hotel because I am only showing up for VGC and I am just gonna drive there and then come back after the tournament is over.

Sorry guys, but it turns out that I'm not going. My parents don't see the point in taking me since I already have the travel award, and Phily is a bit far from me. So unless they change their mind for some reason, I won't be coming. Good luck to everyone else though, especially all of the Seniors, and I'll be seeing all of you at Nationals. :)

I'm staying at the best hotel... my house :). I'm still going to have to get up early and take public transportation down to the Convention Center, so it's not all great. Definitely looking forward to this event, even though it's still pretty far away. Don't hesitate to come up to me and say hello.

I'm staying at the best hotel... my house :). I'm still going to have to get up early and take public transportation down to the Convention Center, so it's not all great. Definitely looking forward to this event, even though it's still pretty far away. Don't hesitate to come up to me and say hello.
LOL, I'll probably be staying with relatives since I'll have to be there on Friday for TCG and VGC.

Thankfully Philly isn't that far a drive. (1.5-2.5 hours)

I noticed that they switched masters and sr/jr registrations, that is going to screw people over so bad. Maybe I will stay in a motel since they are cheaper but who knows what we will find.

Nevermind, the place I Readed it at was wrong. But I did find some hotels, if you guys want to pay $169 for singles and doubles or $189 for singles and doubles at the Marriott, The convention center wants to reserve rooms off for the players attending lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)