1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

VGC '12 World Championships - Kona, HI, USA - WON by BlueCookies & Dimsun!

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Firestorm, Apr 17, 2012.

1. CRITICO!

CRITICO!

Wait! So is the LCQ x number of Swiss rounds, then single-game elim afterwards?
  2. nachocheese999

nachocheese999

I got a trip to nats so Ill be there too. :D
  3. Cybertron

Cybertron Can't Hit WoW
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

No more choking this time!

jrank edit: i wish i'd been able to choke at worlds, have to settle for doing it in every seniors event instead
  4. Chinese Dood

Chinese Dood

I should be going since I have free trip as well.
  5. ZachDro

ZachDro

COUNT ME IN! I will be attending LCQ as TPCi doesn't think top 8 in the USA don't even deserve invites anymore. Don't mean to sound butthurt, but it's a little bit ridiculous :/
  6. LPFan

LPFan

I just want to say good luck to all competing in worlds this year! Especially U.S.A.!
  7. theamericandream38

theamericandream38

I am also confirming my attendance here, LCQing. Hopefully it goes as well as it did last year!
  8. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

I want to LCQ, but naturally I will need to borrow someone's DS. Oh, and a team as well.
  9. VGCMASTER

VGCMASTER

wish I could go :/ Good luck to everyone let USA win!!!
  10. RubeNCB92

RubeNCB92

My prediction, TOP 8, in the worlds championship master (Hawaii):

-Ray Rizzo (US)

-Wolfey (US)

-Matteo Gini (IT)

-Kasty (ES)

-Donsteve (ES)

-Picollo (DE)

-Mahrla (DE)

-Junbei Yamamoto (JP)
  11. DeepSpeed

DeepSpeed

Add me to LCQ Atendees.
  12. CaptKirby

CaptKirby

man I have so many ideas for worlds teams, who wants to hear them???
  13. evan

evan I did my best -- I have no regrets
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

14. CaptKirby

CaptKirby

evan I think you could use the advice particularly badly so here you go:
  15. Matty85

Matty85

16. Naetoru

Naetoru

Exclusive Pokémon World Championships merchandise = oshawott pen xD
  17. Solace

Solace i sneezed on the beat and the beat got sicker
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

oh my god scholarships yessssssssss

I guess we really are trying to get on the same system as TCG, which is really fantastic. Winning worlds and getting a $3,500 scholarship is amazing. It looks like the trip to Japan or wherever is out, but tbh I think the scholarships are better since I remember hearing people had trouble with the airline being cheap about traveling or something.

Good to see we're getting some serious prizes now!
  18. Superpokemon67

Superpokemon67

That scholarship looks really nice. Certainly raises the stakes quite a bit.
  19. Zog

Zog

Uhhh what rofl

The trip to japan was worth over $5000 on its own. They've even removed the consoles this time, after downgrading them last year.

As for the trouble with the holidays, that wasn't with the airline, it was with TPCI claiming that the prize was only part of the money towards a holiday when it wasn't.

So no, these prizes are awful, we've been downsized again and Europeans especially have been shat on from a great height.

Do you know how much $3500 pays for at a British university? It doesn't even cover 2 months of tuition fees. Some Europeans don't even have to pay for university, so it's pretty much $3500 of nothing. Unless there's some way to make the money useful, it's an awful prize for people not in tertiary education.

This is our World Championships grand prize. TCG US nationals has $5000 lol that's ridiculous. Bit of proportion, please? But whatever, I'm not surprised. The only reason I still play competitive Pokémon is that I'm really good at it. And it's a lot of fun just showing up.
  20. Ultimatum

Ultimatum

I think the scholarships are a great idea. Something more to win. This is great.
  21. Matty85

Matty85

Yeah...I basically agree.
    The vacation trip for the winner was better...the good thing is that now also the 2nd wins a scolarship award, and 3rd and 4th have their trophy.
    A world invite and trip also for top4 (like in TCG) would have been nice this year).
  22. Owlfred

Owlfred

Not that this is entirely relevant, but...

Why???
  23. bharmalm

bharmalm

I think that's for the TCG, but they don't use the Play! Point system over there so otherwise they wouldn't be able to play if it wasn't waived
  24. Owlfred

Owlfred

Right. But I'm under the impression that the VGC will also move over to the Play! Point system. That requirement above just isn't thought out too well...

Caveat: I'm assuming that by "passport", we are referring to actual passports you get from your national government and not some gameplay passport that TPC made up. I could be totally wrong though.

1. Get Japanese/Korean citizenship.
    2. ???
    3. Profit!

Ok, so it isn't that easy, but the lack of uniform rules makes things really awkward for players. By that rule above, Japanese/Korean players wouldn't even have had to play any other competition before attending LCQ.

I hope that this sort of rule will be changed next year and not implemented in VGC, because it makes no competitive sense. (Ok, so lots of rules about VGC make no competitive sense, but let's just ignore that discussion for now).

Anyways, good luck to all competitors!
  25. Superpokemon67

Superpokemon67

Oh, well, I wouldn't know how much it's worth at a collage. I was just thinking anything to help with that would be good. I wish they would give out 3DS' again this year though. I'm still super excited for worlds, but when you put it in perspective like that it isn't much. Maybe they'll have better prizes next year :/.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)