1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Solace, Aug 11, 2012.

1. TheMantyke

TheMantyke ᴵ ᶰᵉᵉᵈ ᵃ ᵐᵒᶰˢᵗᵉʳ ᵗᵒ ᶜᶫᵒᵇᵇᵉʳ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ ᴷᶦʳᵇʸ
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

One Pokemon to also consider when searching for anti-rain options is Ferrothorn. It can take Surfs and unSTABed Ice Beams for days, Leech Seed and / or paralyze opponents, and it's hardly a sitting duck when it can dish out moderately powerful Power Whips and Gyro Balls. Any Toxicroak or Hitmontop a Rain team brings will give Ferrothorn some trouble, but those attacks will be fairly predictable and single target.
  2. RiggyRob

RiggyRob

Thanks for the replies, I'm leaning towards Choice Scarf Abomasnow myself. To follow-up, what are the best moves for a special Choice Scarf Abomasnow? Blizzard and Giga Drain are practically mandatory of course, and I can see the value of having Ice Shard, but what else would fit? All I can find that would be suitable is Shadow Ball and Focus Blast.
  3. Drifblim

Drifblim

I myself would not recommend Shard on a Scarf set, you probably have an attack lowering nature so it just won't be hitting hard, and not that much outspeeds Scarf Abomasnow. HP Fire could be good for coverage against Meta and Scizor, but remember they will KO right back if they hadn't already been weakened. Last move could be Sheer Cold for a final last resort, the only other worthwhile move at that point might be Wood Hammer for low Defense Waters.
  4. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

I second this. Blizzard, Giga Drain, HP Fire.

If you plan on using a physical attack for your last move, use a Hasty nature, so that you don't get an Attack drop. Then Ice Shard and Wood Hammer become viable options (though Ice Shard + Choice Scarf is slightly redundant).

You could also consider Grass Knot, as a few Pokemon are hit harder by it than Giga Drain (Against Tyranitar, Terrakion, Gigalith, Rhyperior, and Mamoswine specifically, Grass Knot is Abomasnow's strongest attack, even over Blizzard), but then you wouldn't be healed by Giga Drain either.
  5. madvorak

madvorak

I have a question, that regards the game mechanic of protecting moves in double battle:
    Is Wide Guard 100% sure if my second Pokémon used eg Protect successfully last turn (and vice versa)? If I have 2 Pokémon that know Wide Guard, can I use Wide Guard with one and with the other the next turn without the risk of failing?
  6. RiggyRob

RiggyRob

The thing is, Scarf Abomasnow outspeeds everything up to base 115s, but if I gave it Hidden Power Fire it'd speed tie with Azelf, Starmie and Raikou. Are those 3 Pokemon uncommon enough to justify using Hidden Power Fire?

Also, Ice Shard might seem redundant with a Scarf, but considering how popular Mach Punch and Bullet Punch are, it could be worth it to get a last resort attack off, since both of those priority moves would KO a non-Sashed Abomasnow anyway.
  7. The Last Sheikah

The Last Sheikah

I've seen each of those once or twice, but I've played hundreds of battles, so I'd say they're not the sort of thing you need to specifically consider.
    I've found priority also helps a lot in trick room, but the amount of damage you'll be doing with ice shard is so small that you'll probably never choose that to be the one attack you're choiced into, unless by some miracle the battle ends with Abomasnow versus a single Hitmontop in red.
  8. Saboros

Saboros

Yeah, you don't have to worry about seeing very many Raikous, Starmies or Azelfs.
  9. AuraRayquaza

AuraRayquaza

im not sure if this has been asked or not. But dark void isn't allowed at regionals, nationals or worlds is it?
  10. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

It'll work, the counter is separate for each Pokémon.
    Dark Void is banned.
  11. madvorak

madvorak

Official rules: "Players with a Rating of 1600 or higher:
    Will be excluded from the Rankings if their Disconnection Rate is at least 10 points higher than the overall average across all players."
    Only your own disconnections are count. Opponent's disconnections don't matter I hope. Am I right?
  12. Sixonesix

Sixonesix
    is a Past SPL Winner

Nope, every time your opponent disconnects it counts against you. It's led to people being disqualified because of it in the past.

Oh, and in case you're talking about the Autumn Friendly here is where the discussion is taking place for it.
  13. Szymoninho

Szymoninho

1) Anyone knows if there are Regionals in any of the European countries or just Nationals?
    2) Do you have to own the version of the game from the country you're participating in or it can be any version (again talking about Europe in particular), since the English version is quite popular in every country?
  14. Zog

Zog

We have 3 tournaments in the spring, that's all we know. I'd put money on it being nationals in Spain, Germany and the UK.

You can use any European game card, though since I've never seen anyone getting thrown out for say an American card they probably don't even check.
  15. Szymoninho

Szymoninho

Thanks, that really made my day!! :)
  16. Solace

Solace i sneezed on the beat and the beat got sicker
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I would play it on the safe side though and have a European game card - just because there hasn't been anyone kicked out doesn't mean that American game cards okay.. they may just have not had them.
  17. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Data Integration Thought Entity
    is a Pokemon Researcher

The tournament data downloader checks to make sure the game card is from one of the allowed regions. This lead to a problem at the Canadian regionals where the downloader was not properly configured to accept French game cards.
  18. Szymoninho

Szymoninho

I've bought my game in Europe and it's in English but the problem is I'd like to take part in the German Nationals (despite I'm neither German nor a native German speaker) because they're the closest Nationals to me. I suppose I have the British version but the only proof I found to confirm that is the internet address "www.pokemon.co.uk" inside the box. Does anyone know if this would work for the German Nationals?
  19. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Just wanted to correct this. There are no Nationals in Europe this year. For some reason TPCi took the page down so maybe they're still working on it, but as far as we know, it's set up as 2 Regionals -> World Qualifier. We copied down the relevant bits before it was taken down. You can find it here:
    http://nuggetbridge.com/news/details-on-2013-vgc-regionals-announce/
  20. Zog

Zog

Yeah that'll be fine, UK English definitely works at European events- I've used one myself.

And lol, I'd totally forgotten that you have to download the tournament... in the past though definitely they haven't checked. Unless that Brazilian guy at London 2009 had an English cart, which I don't think he did.

As for the Europe arrangements, lol I'd forgotten it was worded like that. I was meaning like... a tournament in each country. But 2 "regionals"???? They'll to have to miss out one of Spain/Germany/UK for that... and it's probably going to be the UK thanks to our crap showing this year. Wow... it's the butterfly effect but with toilet signs.
  21. Szymoninho

Szymoninho

^ What do you mean by "download the tournament"?
  22. hoult66

hoult66

When will the VCG VGC 2013 Analyses be released/made?
  23. Solace

Solace i sneezed on the beat and the beat got sicker
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

We don't know the 2013 ruleset yet, but once we do they'll be opened up for writing and then put on site.
  24. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

The tournament info is downloaded to your game cart during registration, and if the region is wrong it won't work.
  25. Szymoninho

Szymoninho

^ Thanks. Sorry I'm asking such questions but if I decide to enter the competition it'd be my first time...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)