VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the official VGC Rules:

Pokémon may only use moves that have been learned through one of the following methods:
-By leveling up
-By TM or HM
-As an Egg Move, through breeding
-From a character in the game
-A move already known by a Pokémon received at an official Pokémon event or promotion
Does this mean that Smeargle cannot use any moves that it obtained by Sketch?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
That does not mean that Smeargle cannot use any moves that it obtained by Sketch. Smeargle can use whatever the hell it wants.

Can anyone help me with my team?

Ferrothorn (Rocky Helmet)
Iron Barbs Sassy
EV's: 252 Hp, 252 Sp.Def, 4 Atk
-Spikes
-Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed
-Protect
(Used for setting up spikes, and leech seed)

Azumarill (Assault Vest)
Huge Power Adamant
EV's: 252 Hp, 252 Atk, 4 Spd
-Aqua Jet
-Play Rough
-Ice Punch
-Superpower
(Physical Attacker)

Alakazam (Alakazite)
Magic Guard Timid
EV's: 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp
-Psyshock
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power (Fire)
-Shadow Ball
(Special Attacker)

Jellicent (Leftovers)
Cursed Body Calm
EV's: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Def, 4 Def
-Scald
-Recover
-Toxic
-Taunt
(Defensive wall, and taunter)

Aegislash (Weakness Policy)
Stance Change Adamant
EV's: 252 Hp, 252 Atk, 4 Def
-Shadow Sneak
-King's Shield
-Swords Dance
-Sacred Sword
(Boost Sweeper)

Smeargle (Focus Sash)
Technician Jolly
EV's: 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Atk
-Baton Pass
-Cosmic Power
-Spore
-Rapid Spin
(Set up and rapid spinner)
Too much 252/252/4

Too much 252/252/4
Yea, If you were on Pokemon Showdown and using the Suggested EV spread, they give you 252's for two stats and 4 the rest. Sometimes its better to customize your EV's because you might want a specific Pokemon to have a specific role for your team.

If your looking for someone to rate your team, I suggest posting your team in the RMT (Rate My Team) Section. You will probably find a lot of better results in there. http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/rate-my-team.52/

However, I'll give you some tips on your team. Alakazam with HP Fire should be changed with HP Ice because Ice provides a lot more coverage. Also Jellicent is not the best Defensive wall/taunter. Pokemon with prankster like Saybelye/Liepard would do better or even Defensive pokes like Deoxys D would probably provide better as a wall than Jellicent.

Edit: is this for a VGC Team or for a different tier?

Last edited:
Ok, I've been a little confused with the new Hidden power mechanic and don't know which IV spread to aim. I want a minimum speed HP grass spread (for a RainRoom politoed, don't know if is a good idea but I want to try it out)

I know that is always 60 BP now, does this mean that any 31/31/31/30/31/xx will achieve a HP grass regadless of the speed IV? can my politoed have zero speed IV and still have a 60 BP HP grass?

edit: on a different topic..... we should do a mark III VGC asking thread since this is a little (too much) mixed with different VGC metagames.

Ok, I've been a little confused with the new Hidden power mechanic and don't know which IV spread to aim. I want a minimum speed HP grass spread (for a RainRoom politoed, don't know if is a good idea but I want to try it out)

I know that is always 60 BP now, does this mean that any 31/31/31/30/31/xx will achieve a HP grass regadless of the speed IV? can my politoed have zero speed IV and still have a 60 BP HP grass?
Nope, with that kind of spread you won't get HP Grass, only Electric (odd number in speed) or Water (even number in speed). You are still right about the base power.

The optimal spread for your purpose is 31/xx/31/30/31/01 with Atk being an even number (0,2,4, ..., 30).
Alternately: In the case you was lazy with breeding, a faster way would be xx/30/31/30/31/01. HP is not critical for HP Grass, but because HP is such an important stat for Politoed we would recommend you to go the first route.

If a Pokémon has Sap Sipper as an ability and is also holding a Lum berry, would a Grass type status move (eg; Spore) activate the ability or the Lum? It's not a huge thing but could be useful to know in certain situations.

If a Pokémon has Sap Sipper as an ability and is also holding a Lum berry, would a Grass type status move (eg; Spore) activate the ability or the Lum? It's not a huge thing but could be useful to know in certain situations.
Sap Sipper effects all Grass-type moves, so your Lum Berry will stay intact.

That's great, thanks.

Edit:
Another question, does Kings Shield protect a Substitute against breakages? I know Protect does, but Kings Shield plays under different rules.

Last edited:
I'm actually a big fan of the current rules, because you at least need to put effort forward to building your team by breeding, leveling, and overall testing instead of just genericly Pokegenning the Pokes. But they are most likely due to change especially with another addition in the 6th gen (i.e. Pokemon "Z") and the longer period of time Poketransfer is out. But for now this will do.

Now, I do understand the rules, and I know you can transfer parents over for breeding. My question is... are transfer only abilities such as Unnerve Aerodactyl and Regen Alomomola and much more allowed? My guess is that they are, just want to be 100% sure before I start building my team around some tranfer abilities.

Now, I do understand the rules, and I know you can transfer parents over for breeding. My question is... are transfer only abilities such as Unnerve Aerodactyl and Regen Alomomola and much more allowed? My guess is that they are, just want to be 100% sure before I start building my team around some tranfer abilities.
Yup, both are perfectly legal.

What are some good ways to deal with Scarf Dark Void Smeargle, without having to run otherwise unviable pokemon or movesets?
1) Priority Safeguard.
2) Priority Brave Bird.
3) Slurpuff.
4) Berries.
5) Fake Out combos.
6) Pray for a miss in the right places.

Is Slurpuff actually viable in VGC?
Verlisify would say yes.

So grains of salt all over the place, yes?

Nah nah nah, I'm jking. Cybertron Zheng showed a vid where he struggled against one because he didn't know what was up. It also has access to a pretty nice move pool and decent bulk. Thunderbolt and Flamethrower out of the gillie can catch a Gyarados or a Steel-type by surprise. So, it's not the first place I'd look for a team addition, but it can protect your entire team from sleep by itself + its move pool isn't too shabby either. You'll have to build into bulk over speed though.

Edit: I was somewhat joking about before. Just don't look to Verlisify for answers on how to use this thing. You want to use the surprise factor to your advantage quickly if you're running this thing.

Last edited:
Verlisify would say yes.

So grains of salt all over the place, yes?

Nah nah nah, I'm jking. Cybertron Zheng showed a vid where he struggled against one because he didn't know what was up. It also has access to a pretty nice move pool and decent bulk. Thunderbolt and Flamethrower out of the gillie can catch a Gyarados or a Fire-type by surprise. So, it's not the first place I'd look for a team addition, but it can protect your entire team from sleep by itself + its move pool isn't too shabby either. You'll have to build into bulk over speed though.

Edit: I was somewhat joking about before. Just don't look to Verlisify for answers on how to use this thing. You want to use the surprise factor to your advantage quickly if you're running this thing.
Haha. If I use it then I never have to worry about MKhan again :)
Thanks for the response.

Here's another, probably more difficult question.
What's a good, viable option to deal with Aegislash? I try to predict Kings Shield and burn it, but that doesn't help because almost every single one I've encountered is fully special (shadow ball and flash cannon).

Here's another, probably more difficult question.
What's a good, viable option to deal with Aegislash? I try to predict Kings Shield and burn it, but that doesn't help because almost every single one I've encountered is fully special (shadow ball and flash cannon).
Burning it is good, even if it's not a physical variant, as it's something it can only block with Substitute and causes consistent damage even if they do manage to get a Sub up afterward. Leechseed works in a similar way. Otherwise I'd say it's simply about predicting and hitting with a powerful attack when its guard is down (ideally using moves without physical contact to ease the pain of a misprediction). Earthquake, Flamethrower/Overheat, Shadow Ball and Dark Pulse are all usually good bets from my experience.

My own question, it's not strictly about the game but is about the VGC. On the Global Link site you can view rankings for Pokémon usage within link battles as well as current Trainer Rankings for the Battle Spot. You can organise those Trainer Rankings by country. Does anyone know if you can do the same for Pokémon usage (organise those by country to see what people in specific parts of the world are using)? I've had a quick experiment and it doesn't seem to make any difference, but then again Garchomp, Kangaskhan, Talonflame etc are incredibly popular so it's possible it is changing, just the top used are the same everywhere and I'm not seeing it. Anyone know for certain?

Last edited:
They're fully special BECAUSE of those burns. Physical is outdated. You have these options:

1) Get some super-effective special attacks.
2) Taunt.
3) Foul Play when it's in Sword Mode.
4) Put it to sleep.

Also, slight typo from before. Fire on Slurpuff is for Steel-types, not for Fire-types...xD

Are Baby-Doll Eyes and/or Charm viable in the current meta? Would it be worth using a quick pokemon to weaken a physical threat or is all of the priority going around too overwhelming?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Charm is already a semi-common move on Meowstic as an alternative to Reflect. Personally I've found Umbreon to be surprisingly useful as well. Baby-Doll Eyes is a little too weak I'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)