How about a Desperation moveset? He is the most Viable user for it

Victini@Choice Scarf
Victory Star, Jolly
252 Hp, 252 Spe, 4 Atk
-Desperation
-Reversal
-U-Turn
-Flare Blitz/Nitro Charge

Max Speed for outrunning as much as possible, Max Hp for maximum desperation, and 4 Atk, because that is the stat used for offense. An alternative distrubution is 252 Hp/ 212 Spe/ 44 Atk, as this still allows Victini to outspeed +nature +1 boosted base 95s, while helping attack a bit

This set reaches its fullest potential midgame, after you know if anything completely walls you. If so, send in Victini at full health, and use Desperation. Victini faints, enemy loses 404 Hp and most likely faints, as most OU has less than base 100 Hp. U-Turn is for scouting purposes, and therefore can make it very usable early- on in the game. Reversal is in case Victini loses health. It works at the opposite end of the Hp line, making a sort of counterbalance. Lastly, the last slot is dependant on whether or not you worry about recoil. Victini is best used with Flare Blitz, as it slower attack needs it.

I doubt the Choice sets will be very good. Choiced Fire (and on the Scarf set, Choiced Fighting) is unviable wherever Shanderaa is allowed. Even if you KO a Pokemon with a Choiced Fire move, Shanderaa can come in and get +6 and a Sub. A Choice set on any SR-weak Pokemon has limited switch-ins as well.

I doubt the Choice sets will be very good. Choiced Fire (and on the Scarf set, Choiced Fighting) is unviable wherever Shanderaa is allowed. Even if you KO a Pokemon with a Choiced Fire move, Shanderaa can come in and get +6 and a Sub. A Choice set on any SR-weak Pokemon has limited switch-ins as well.
Then maybe run Leftovers?
IMO the point of the set is to take advantage of Dasperation, which kills you to do damage to the opponent equivalent to your current Hp.

Shanderaa should never be a problem, as U-turn should be the only attack used untill it counters are found and destroyed. and u-turn beats shadow tag

even without much attack, reversal can do massive damage if it reaches its max (200) BP

and Notro charge is admittedly useless, but Flare Blitz has the advantage of helping set up for reversal if desperation is obviously not needed

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
100 / 100 / 100 is actually statistically one of the strongest defensive stat combinations in 4th Gen OU. Rather than "it can hold up," I think "it is extremely bulky" is a better description-- though SR is an issue. :/

Basically I think it works that the earliest move gets deleted so I can assume that you need a move relearner to get Flame Bomb
Exactly, Sudowoodo had 5 moves at Lv.1 so you needed to use a Heart Scale to get Wood Hammer.

Victini seems kind of underwhelming. It's one of the only Psychic-types that doesn't get Calm Mind (as well as the only "phantom") and its typing certainly isn't helping it. V-Generate is basically an invitation for Tyranitar and Scizor to come in and Pursuit it as well.

A darn shame. :( Victini was probably my favorite of this gen. But it's ironic that he has so many high accuracy moves. Such a waste of a good ability.

Has anyone thought up an interesting support set for him?? will-o-wisp... other things??

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Victini is definetely an awesome pokemon. It's let down by crap stats, but it has the moves (and ability) to make for that. Victory star is an excellent ability in it's own right. It's a shame he didn't get any stat boosting moves...

I don't want Victini to have an easy access to V-generate... it seems broken to me.

The STATS are great, but it's typing is just not helping in anyway. Luckily, he has great ways to burn pursuit-trappers, rock-users, etc., though, so that's useful.

Maybe a set utilizing Light Screen and Will-o-wisp can work... It just is terrible he didn't get any recovery move.

Psychic/Fire is NOT the worst typing ever, offensively or defensively. Gamefreak has given us far worse. Fire/Rock, Water/Rock, Grass/Bug and such say hi. At least its not quad weak to anything. And really, its not that bad of an offensive typing, and with its many Fighting moves, it actually gets perfect coverage I think (most of the pokemon that resist psy/fire are part Dark)

IMO you could run max speed with Cheer Up to get a pretty good wall-breaker out of this guy, and I could even see a gimmick set with Wide Lens using Purgatory to pull out the burnhammer :P

Honestly I just think he should be getting more love. He looks to be much more offensively oriented than other sprite legends and I actually think his typing lends itself to that. He may not be met with open arms in OU but i can see ubers having a spot for him.

Do we know how much accuracy increase that ability gives?

And if you ask me his best bet is desperation against pursuit trappers. I don't know about maxing HP JUST for that though, I'd think the damage from whatever move they took on the switch + 310 [I believe?] would be enough for most of 'em.

I love this little bugger, I'll find a way to make it work.

Actually, V-Generate would be great on Choice Sets...and why would Scizor try to Pursuit Victini, I doubt it could OHKO it with Pursuit, and then it would be burnt to a crisp afterwards.

Actually, V-Generate would be great on Choice Sets...and why would Scizor try to Pursuit Victini, I doubt it could OHKO it with Pursuit, and then it would be burnt to a crisp afterwards.
Tyranitar says hi :D
Yeah it can still be used on Choice sets. The power output is huge but so are the setbacks.

Tyranitar says hi :D
Yeah it can still be used on Choice sets. The power output is huge but so are the setbacks.
Using the set I posted on the front page, if he stays in against ScarfTar, he takes 36.3% - 43.9% from Pursuit (since it's now only base 40) and he can then OHKO with Focus Blast. Sure he takes a beating, but he just got rid of his biggest counter and massively helped the rest of your team. Team him up with a Wish Passer like Vaporeon or Blissey and you're free to use Victini with no fears unless they also have a Scarfed Shanderaa with Shadow Tag, but having two Scarfers that do the same thing isn't a great idea.

Using the set I posted on the front page, if he stays in against ScarfTar, he takes 36.3% - 43.9% from Pursuit (since it's now only base 40) and he can then OHKO with Focus Blast. Sure he takes a beating, but he just got rid of his biggest counter and massively helped the rest of your team. Team him up with a Wish Passer like Vaporeon or Blissey and you're free to use Victini with no fears unless they also have a Scarfed Shanderaa with Shadow Tag, but having two Scarfers that do the same thing isn't a great idea.
We were discussing the use of V-Generate on a Choice set. And V-Generate lowers your Defenses as well as Speed so Pursuit does even more. If V-Generate 2HKOs that changes everything though.

Edit: Apparently it does 53.5% minimum on the standard (4th gen) ScarfTar. Assuming Timid. Uh-oh.

This is a moveset I made over in the Desperation thread. Since it's for Victini, I may as well bring it over here.

Victory Revenger:
Victini w/ Choice Scarf + Victory Star
Hasty/Naive nature. 252 HP, 252 Speed, 6 Sp Atk
-Desperation (that is what it's called, right?)
-Overheat
-Brick Break (If only he got Superpower/Close Combat...)
-Shadow Ball

100 base speed, 252 speed Evs, a speed+ nature and a Choice Scarf. So pretty frelling fast. I'm pretty sure the only things he won't outspeed are enemies with >100 base speed and either a Choice Scarf or a +2 boost. Desperation combined with that speed lets him come in and go off like a bomb, especially with 252 HP Evs. Overheat is another powerful option if you aren't quite ready to sacrifice him to the greater good, Brick Break deals with Blissey (If only he got one of the two moves I suggested), and Shadow Ball deals with Ghosts hoping to come in for free and/or make him kill himself for nothing.
EVs are for speed and maximum output from Desperation, with the extra dumped into Sp. Atk for a stronger Overheat and Shadow Ball. Oh, yes. If you do go with Focus Blast over Brick Break, run a Timid nature.

Interestingly enough, A choice Scarf Desperation is a pretty good counter / check to one of the most hyped sweepers right now - Blaziken. Resisting both his STABS, you can Switch in on the swords dance or attack, then kill him off before speed boost becomes a problem.

According to Serebii (and I guess this could change) V-Generate is an event-only move that isn't actually in Victini's level-up but will be distributed somehow....

On the sets with Fire Blast, couldn't Victini use Blaze Judgment over Fire Blast? I mean, it has 100 power, a little less, but also has 100% Accuracy, much better than the 85%.

Anyway, I'm excited to use Victini. One of the best Fire-types Introduced this generation, along with Close Combat Arcanine. Exciting stuff.

Edit: Is "Deseration" "Life Gamble"?

On the sets with Fire Blast, couldn't Victini use Blaze Judgment over Fire Blast? I mean, it has 100 power, a little less, but also has 100% Accuracy, much better than the 85%.

Anyway, I'm excited to use Victini. One of the best Fire-types Introduced this generation, along with Close Combat Arcanine. Exciting stuff.
Blaze Judgement also has a 30% burn rate. Definitely seems like the better option.

Agreed. People are baaawwing about the defensive intricacies (or lack thereof) of its typing, but I mean use your fuckin brains people. Its a fire type. Name the last Fire type that was born to be defensive. EV it like a sweeper, give it STABs and a Fighting move for coverage or something. Victini is legit, and even if it doesn't make ubers its attacks will have some of the highest burn-rates and base power in OU. Its stealth rock weak, yeah, but not x4, and many x2 rock weak pokemon have wreaked havoc in OU. Its also a great team player with its ability :D

victini is going to be THE pokemon for doubles/triples. with SR being uncommon(as far i know) and victory star affecting its partners i feel its going to be perfect with pokemons like aero who abuse shit like stone edge and/or fire blast(just giving a example of poke that run moves that can miss, dont come pissing me off saying no one run LO aero). plus its extremely cute.

fighting resist is a big plus to vic, specially with all the new fighting pokemons that came with gen 5, and most of them wont enjoy a STAB psychic/fire blast. victini is something we should watch out for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)