Virizion

Seriously, you guys are underrating this guy. It has a recovery move with STAB Giga Drain, which BP has increased to 75 this gen. Also, this guys has 3 stat-boosting moves, mainly Cheer Up, Calm Mind and Swords Dance. Swords Dance + STAB Close Combat is deadly, Calm Mind + STAB Giga Drain is good too.

If you ask me I never liked this guy much apart from the design. Coverage-wise it's pretty bad, and Stone Edge sometimes just isn't powerful enough on a Taunt set. It can probably get an extra boost in the face of a non-STAB weakish Ice Beam, but even at +2 the power seems rather underwhelming. Calm Mind can let you suck up even more Ice Beams as you amass more boosts, but the lack of a recovery move outside of Rest prevents it from being as potent as CMTias and CMTios. Cheer Up just isn't powerful enough, so I'd say Swords Dance and Calm Mind are your best bets.

If you ask me I never liked this guy much apart from the design. Coverage-wise it's pretty bad, and Stone Edge sometimes just isn't powerful enough on a Taunt set. It can probably get an extra boost in the face of a non-STAB weakish Ice Beam, but even at +2 the power seems rather underwhelming. Calm Mind can let you suck up even more Ice Beams as you amass more boosts, but the lack of a recovery move outside of Rest prevents it from being as potent as CMTias and CMTios. Cheer Up just isn't powerful enough, so I'd say Swords Dance and Calm Mind are your best bets.
Giga Drain is counted as a recovery move, isn't it?

Birijion has an interesting movepool, stat placement, and type. He had odd functions as a bulky possibly mixed sweeper. It'd be a shame to see Birijion fall to disuse as he's even a good counter to Doryuzzu.

Can Birijion survive a Shanderaa's flamethrower/fire Blast with zero sp.def investment other than 31 IV's in it?

252/0 Neutral Birijion can survive Modest Shandera's unboosted Flamethrower, actually, and has a decent chance at surviving Timid Fire Blast if Shandera is coming in to revenge (assuming Birijion has Leftovers).

I personally like the speedy tank set; it is a great check to bulky waters such as Vaporeon and Rotom-W, ground-type tanks like Hippowdon, and even some unboosted (or even boosted) threats like Doryuuzu, Garchomp, etc.

Interesting... and Fire Blast... with a little luck on your side it has a 15% chance to miss but luck should never be taken into account.

Anyway i find Birijion a pretty cool pokemon for a grass type. He'd definitely on my list of B/W pokemon to try out.

Technically, yes. But if CM Celebi's not using it, I'm not sure Birijion can use it.
Celebi may not have used Giga Drain in Gen 4, but now that it has 75 BP, I don't think that says much about how useful it'll be in Gen 5. Trends in the current Gen 5 metagame might give some indication, but it's too early for every good strategy to be in standard use.

...doesn't Justice Heart NOT grant a Dark immunity? :0 I seem to recall seeing in several places that it doesn't, but... did we find out otherwise?

Meh, this guy seems pretty good in theory, but I kind of have a feeling he'll end up being one of the lamer Pokemon out of this particular trio, with Terakion taking up the mantle of the one good trio-Poke this gen. (Seriously, has anyone else noticed that pattern? Zapdos + Suicune + Registeel + Azelf are all pretty good, but their trio counterparts are UU or worse. :\ ) Birijion having a much weaker Defense and the Steel one having a much weaker SDef is really quite a hindrance to them as defensive Pokes, IMO, while Terakion and Kerudio are far better offensive threats than these two.

Granted, it does get Reflect and can invest significantly to make up for that, which admittedly is pretty good... I'd actually love to see GF break the aforementioned trend, so I actually hope I'm wrong about what I said above. :0

I think the CM set really needs to heavily invest in Defense and be more of a tanky sweeper than like Timid LO CMcune. I also really like the idea of Taunt alongside boosting moves with this guy, CM/Taunt/STABS seems like it could be really useful.

heart justice doesnt make for an immunity. just a stat boost when hit by a dark attack. in other words choice band tyranitars crunch is still gonna do a decent chunk of damage to birijion, but give it +1 upon taking the attack.

I've been using this poke a lot, switch on a resist, SD, then sweep. It's quite awesome and usually nets me around 1-3 kills a game. I've been doing something like, SD - Leaf Blade - Close Combat - Stone Edge.

I used this guy on a Rain Team for a while, and it simply didn't work for me. Brelooom, on the other hand, I found much more useful with Tech Bullet Seed and Mach Punch - I don't even run Spore and its still brilliant.

heart justice doesnt make for an immunity. just a stat boost when hit by a dark attack. in other words choice band tyranitars crunch is still gonna do a decent chunk of damage to birijion, but give it +1 upon taking the attack.
I know, I created this thread when we didn't knew how Justice Heart exactly work. I'll edit this later to make this more accurate. And honestly it won't hurt this much. We talk about Pokemon, which takes +2 Doryuzuu X-Scissor and still have 30% of HP left. However I noticed that 'Speedy Tank' set can't handle +2 Return from the same Doryuuzu, while Max HP/Max Def set survives. So you may play it in two different ways - invest into bulk as much as possible or play it like Lugia, which mostly counters opponents physical attackers by outspeeding them and using Reflect before they land fatal blow on her. And I don't think we can compare Birijion to Breeloom - it's much bulkier and faster, so it should be used this way. As a fast tank to take some hits.

Everyday this guy seems to look more and more cool and with the recent release of the sugimori art, I deemed it cool, shame about the typing though but its special bulk really helps it on the special side plus access to swords dance makes it a viable pokémon.

A unique typing might be this ones saving grace
Breloom says hi.Aesthetically I like it the most of the quadrapeds, and I'd be willing to tinker with this one as it's special defense is great and something my team could use. Fire weakness is a downer though.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've been using this poke a lot, switch on a resist, SD, then sweep. It's quite awesome and usually nets me around 1-3 kills a game. I've been doing something like, SD - Leaf Blade - Close Combat - Stone Edge.
Posting to say this wrecks stuff. While the speedy tank seems pretty practical, I run an offensive team and it lacked power. I use Birijion as a pivot more than a tank; taking neutral and weaker SE attacks really easily for my team, which doesn't have much in the way of defense. Then late game, I SD and plow through my opponent's weakened team. If you are running a frailer offense team, he is something to look into for sure. One of the most looked over pokes who is very underestimated.

In my opinion, as has been stated by a couple of others, he has the stats for a defensive pokemon, yet s/he doesn't really have the moves to back that up.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I still think Birijion has the power to fare as an offensive Pokemon, even in comparison to Kerudio and Terakion. Really, I don't think Birijion should be compared to them at all due to its typing. After all, this particular musketeer has 108 Speed, decent Attack, very good Special Defense, and great boosting moves going for it. Also, it's one of the few Pokemon that's not immediately fucked by Doryuuzu or Shandera (full health, no investment).

This thing actually tears apart teams pretty well after one Swords Dance, and it finds plenty of opportunities for THAT.

In my opinion, as has been stated by a couple of others, he has the stats for a defensive pokemon, yet s/he doesn't really have the moves to back that up.
Safeguard.

Birijion is the only Pokemon I want to have and use to use/know this move. With a Safeguard up, Darkrai can sort of be checked. Holy Sword is awesome.

Cheer Up, Quick Attack, Holy Sword, Stone Edge

And LOL to those giving it a Rugged Helmet.

Does anyone think a set with Giga Drain/Focus Blast/Light Screen/Reflect with a Big Root would work? Would a Big Root even be worth it, or would something like Rugged Helmet/Leftovers make more sense?

Does anyone think a set with Giga Drain/Focus Blast/Light Screen/Reflect with a Big Root would work? Would a Big Root even be worth it, or would something like Rugged Helmet/Leftovers make more sense?
Politoed would screw you over.
LIGHT CLAY *ITEM* for Light Screen/Reflect.

What are "good" Hidden Power types for this, on consider of incoming "counters/checks"? HP Water?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)