Volcarona

I'd bet my bloody buttchunks that Game Freak made Ulgamoth because they wanted a Bug-type that people would actually USE.
As it was said before, there were already useful Bug-types.

GF probably introduced the move Butterfly Dance because they wanted to boost the usefulness of the Butterfly/Moth Pokemon, which have been really crappy up until this point. However, even Butterfly Dance wasn't enough to save most of them, so they gave us an awesome moth that could actually abuse the move to its fullest.

Scarf Shandera's Fire Blast did ~72% to a 4hp/252satk/252spe unboosted Ulgamoth. I BD-ed as it attacked then OHKOed it with HP Ground on the next turn. Moral of the story: Ulgamoth cannot switch in on the strong Fire assaults of Shandera/Heatran even if you're running a bulkier variant.
OHKO with stealth rock factored in.
for shame, ulgamoth...

^normally I would agree due to magic mirror, but you opponent can see your team in the beginning of the battle, so they know your tricks...
I guess you could bluff one and use it as bait though...

Scarf Shandera's Fire Blast did ~72% to a 4hp/252satk/252spe unboosted Ulgamoth. I BD-ed as it attacked then OHKOed it with HP Ground on the next turn. Moral of the story: Ulgamoth cannot switch in on the strong Fire assaults of Shandera/Heatran even if you're running a bulkier variant.
with rocks? sure...

Honestly, this thread is over 9000 pages long, and people reading it are still trying to use this pokemon without spin support, and then knocking it when they get their shit stomped? lolwut. Use the pokemon correctly and you might have a chance. Ulgamoth isn't Charizard or Yanmega, as it actually makes up for its SR weakness in spades. Spinning isn't new like Ulgamoth is, its been around for 4 generations now, you'd think people were... ya know, getting sorta good at it. I guess up until now there weren't any worthwhile pokemon to spin for.

Either you're deliberately being difficult or you're unfamiliar with Internet "culture."
Probably the latter.
Anyway,I really like Volcarona.
-Awesome name
-Epic typing
-Awesome design
-Awesome signature moves(Come on,we ALL know BD was made JUST for him,but GF decided to give the other "butterflies" some love :P)

I just really wish he had Levitate. He IS a moth after all.

Actually, it's the former. But never mind that. I guess they wanted an incredibly powerful bug-Type special sweeper, as all the other bug-type Pokemon that are in wide use are part steel and/or physically oriented and/or are only used because of their ability.

Remember how Tajiri got Game Freak together to make this game because he was finding bugs.

and besides most EQ users come together with rock coverage in a single package so unless you outspeed the EQ user he would SE you(or god help you if he hit on the switch). the good news is that most EQ users are slow(Thus if you switched on a EQ you would most likely ko right after). the bad news is that he doesnt got levitate in the first place.

with rocks? sure...

Honestly, this thread is over 9000 pages long, and people reading it are still trying to use this pokemon without spin support, and then knocking it when they get their shit stomped? lolwut. Use the pokemon correctly and you might have a chance. Ulgamoth isn't Charizard or Yanmega, as it actually makes up for its SR weakness in spades. Spinning isn't new like Ulgamoth is, its been around for 4 generations now, you'd think people were... ya know, getting sorta good at it. I guess up until now there weren't any worthwhile pokemon to spin for.
If you're using the moth without spin support, you are a retard. Mothra has a weak to every goddamn layer, so it absolutely needs the support. Actually, I like setting up on Nattorei w/o Thunder Wave. BD as it seeds or sets up rocks, then proceed to sweep.

The best counter to the moth is a fast scarfed physical attacker or a fast Pokemon with Psycho Shock. Ulgamoth HATES physical attacks, which is why a bulky BD set can be pretty damn useful.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I imagined that this pokemon would be able to run a bulky dance set like Gyarados, so I tried one. The typing and base 60 defense don't really lend themselves towards that area, even with a reliable self healing move. Has it worked out for anyone else? I have tried chesto rest though and it's great.

I imagined that this pokemon would be able to run a bulky dance set like Gyarados, so I tried one. The typing and base 60 defense don't really lend themselves towards that area, even with a reliable self healing move. Has it worked out for anyone else? I have tried chesto rest though and it's great.
Reliable self healing move? Did you mean Moonlight? Anyway I think the difficulty of running a RestoChesto/Recovery Move set is because Ulgamoth NEEDS coverage, not to mention that its Defense sucks ass. Why can't this thing get Earth Power :'(

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
You're right about the coverage sadly, and that's what mainly bothered me about chesto rest.

Personally, I've always thought the Earth Power should be available to fire types like how Ice Beam is available to water types. But meh. >_>

Wish passers and spinners are Ulgamoth's best friend.
I hate ChestoRest on any pokemon who does not carry a Dark/ghost-fighting attack combo. And even then, It's almost useless...

Flame Body is such a wonderfully trolly ability, though. People can't afford to attack specially so just get burned - it's a shame Stone Edge isn't contact, as Ulgamoth would be leaving way more mementos behind.
Well,I wouldn't want Levitate just to switch in on EQs.(Preferably choiced :P)
I'd want it to be immune to the dreaded Spikes and T.Spikes

I used 252 HP / 252 Def moth with morning sun on drought team and it's my favourite and by far the most efficient set. If opponent doesn't pack faster pokemon with rock attacks it's extremenly difficult to stop. You just have to keep in mind that bulk is there just to allow for easier setup, it is by no means a defensive pivot pokemon or anything like that. It's still meant to only switch in once, dance (more than once, preferably 3 times) and then sweep. Ofc it still requires spin support and morning sun requires Ninetales on the team if you want to rely on it.

I tested this guy on story mode (not competitive). A freshly caught one (lvl 70) with no EVs can sweep the champion by itself 0_0. I think that this one will go pretty far.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I tested this guy on story mode (not competitive). A freshly caught one (lvl 70) with no EVs can sweep the champion by itself 0_0. I think that this one will go pretty far.
You could probably solo most of the second-round Elite Four with it, if you didn't run out of PP. Definitely top-tier if you ignore how late you get it.

Actually I use one and it works great, it's the perfect counter to scizor and other bulky physical hard hitters.

Also, after a BD or two, it doesn't even have much of a problem against STAB Boiling Water from bulky waters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)