Want to see your Original sprites on the X-Box Live Arcade?

I'm currently finishing up the whale, might take another stab at the Eagle sooner or later. I know that brown doesn't look too metallic, but I saw that pretty much all of the metals were silvery-gray, and I wanted the Eagle to look like it was made of copper or bronze.

I'm currently finishing up the whale, might take another stab at the Eagle sooner or later. I know that brown doesn't look too metallic, but I saw that pretty much all of the metals were silvery-gray, and I wanted the Eagle to look like it was made of copper or bronze.
Sounds good! Can't wait to see both of them!

@Jon: I like how your project director only mentions any of my spruces when he says that my bull looks weird but good. I'm not quite sure what I should think of that, lol.

I can play with the rat abit as well, however. I was actually thinking about the concept one day, and then I get home and it was finished. Go fig...

I've had a bit of an epic fail on the shading, looks more like stone than barnacles.

Anyways, here's the Humpback Whale:

Here's the Whale with water coming out of its blowholes, which one is better?

@Jon: I like how your project director only mentions any of my spruces when he says that my bull looks weird but good. I'm not quite sure what I should think of that, lol.
Well he didn't specifically mention any others but he was positive about all the categories that you have others in, lol.

I can play with the rat abit as well, however. I was actually thinking about the concept one day, and then I get home and it was finished. Go fig...
Woops! That seems to happen to you alot! lol. Feel free to take a crack @ it. I checked and he is happy with the juvenile form but if you have an awesome new concept then feel free to redo that one as well. Start with the adult I would say.

I've had a bit of an epic fail on the shading, looks more like stone than barnacles.

Anyways, here's the Humpback Whale:

Here's the Whale with water coming out of its blowholes, which one is better?

DUUUUUUDE! This guy looks great! I would say that the one without the water looks better. How comfortable would you be with trying like... more puffs of air/smoke? It might be easier to make look good. Also it could use a slight color shift so that it feels a bit more aquatic? I only say this because we have an Earth Dolphin so I don't want to assume that because this guy is based on a sea creature that people will automatically recognize that he is a Water type. Maybe like a bit of steel blue underneath the layer of barnacles and above the underbelly?

Jon, do you think you have a specific concept you want me to use for the baby Whale, or should I just randomly create something?
I didn't sketch up a baby form but I'm sure you can come up with something. I would say probably something in this pose:

I also found that second one which may be a good referance for a juvenile humpback whale look.

I would say less barnacles (but still a few). Looking forward to it!

Here's the [hopefully] final version of the adult.

I actually like it better like this, you can see breaches in his barnacle armor that exopose his skin and give it a bit more texture.

Here's the [hopefully] final version of the adult.

I actually like it better like this, you can see breaches in his barnacle armor that exopose his skin and give it a bit more texture.
Yeah dude! Looks awesome!!!!!

Anyway you could do puffs like that for the other two blow holes?

The baby looks a bit scary imo.. and I don't think the blue viens of water through it's head help. Maybe make the eyes a touch less intimidating?

Ok, here's the updated adult Whale

and the baby.

The adult is PERFECT! Thanks!

I think the visual issues with the juvenile are largely due to the fact that the blue under the barnacles is a different hue than the rest of the body. I played with it a bot and changed that hue and it looked a lot better. Also I agree that the big glowing red eye is a bit unnerving but I am not certain what to really do about it. OH! I think it would be good if you made the other pectoral flipper on the juvenile visible. Give it more a sense of depth. Other than those few things I think this guy is great!

Over all I think these two make a great set of sprites!!!

This looks interesting, and there's already quite a bit done. Are there any creature areas that need urgent looking into? I don't know where to start :p

This looks interesting, and there's already quite a bit done. Are there any creature areas that need urgent looking into? I don't know where to start :p
Yeah we are just about finished with the Creature Creation segment of this project.

If you are looking for a specific direction then we could REALLY use some new fire lions, lol. The ones we currently have are basically tracings of lion king characters. Thanks!

Here's the improved whale.

No idea what to do about the eyes, I just enlarged the white reflection to look a bit more like a pupil, but...

EDIT: Is it okay if I peer edit the Fire Cardinal a bit?

Here's the improved whale.

No idea what to do about the eyes, I just enlarged the white reflection to look a bit more like a pupil, but...

EDIT: Is it okay if I peer edit the Fire Cardinal a bit?
Looks good! I like!

ALSO! YES! Please feel free to make edits to the adult fire cardinal!

I'm FINALLY getting my new laptop this thursday. I'll download Paint.net and get to work on some Metal Gorillas this weekend.

My idea is based off candle wax symbolizing the element of fire. My concept is better than my spriting :P

Here it is for those who can do better than me:

I'm FINALLY getting my new laptop this thursday. I'll download Paint.net and get to work on some Metal Gorillas this weekend.
Sounds good! Can't wait to see them!

My idea is based off candle wax symbolizing the element of fire. My concept is better than my spriting :P

Here it is for those who can do better than me:
I like the concept, but like you said the actual sprites could use some work...

Peer edit of Cardinal. I didn't change much except a few markings and a more intense flame.

I like the extra flames and I like the IDEA of the black tribal-ish markings. However the actual execution of the markings did not go so well... they feel flat and not actually part of the bird's body.

/homeschoolftw.

Just commenting to say that the tail on the cardinal looks awkward, like it's one segment of tail copypasted onto the base of the tail...I think it's 'cause of the shading, not sure. Just my two cents.

School is stupid. lol I'll probably work during the weekend and all of the week of the 12th, so expect to see a lot of me! :D lol

I'm having trouble downloading Paint.net, and I too have schoolwork. I'm afraid that I won't have the time to help. Sorry, Jon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)