Project What's His Last? [Round 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Co-run by Subject 18 and Halcyon.

A long time ago, back when DPP was the current gen, and there was no team preview, the above question was often asked. You had to be prepared for anything in that last slow and use your deductive teambuilding skills to figure out just what your opponent was saving in the back. Still today, we can use these skills to better build our own teams. When building, there will be times when you have 5 perfect Pokemon. Mons that fit together so well that you just can't seem to pick a final Pokemon. Or sometimes you have a crippling weakness to a major threat and can't think of a mon that will cover it that fits the team. This project aims to let the community figure out what the best last Pokemon would be for a given team of 5.

Every round, either Subject 18 or myself will post a team that is missing one Pokemon. You guys will then post suggestions for the final mon. Over the next few days, these nominations will be discussed amongst the users until voting begins. Once the vote starts, people will choose the last mon that they think fits the rest of the team best. At the end of the round, the Pokemon with the most votes will be the winner! The team will be archived, and the user who suggested the set will have his or her name alongside the team. Think of this as a lesson in team building!

RULES:
1. Standard OU forum rules apply. No flaming/antagonizing please.
2. No joke sets. We reserve the right to delete any suggestions that are plain bad.
3. No slashing in your suggestions. You can't have 5 moves in a battle, why here?
4. Only one nomination per person, per round. Can't suggest more than one mon.
5. No changing the other members of the team, INCLUDING SETS. Only Subject 18 and I can change the team.
6. Please PM me or Subject 18 if you have a team you would like featured!

Archive
ROUND 1

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Earth Power
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost
Won by Team Pokepals!

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Tail Glow

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 72 Atk / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Taunt

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

won by Rumor!

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Round 2

The next team is based around a core of Mega Venusaur and Manaphy, which was suggested in the team building shop. I didn't do the team that was given to the person who asked, but I built this anyway cause I thought it would be fun. FWG core with Venu Heatran and Manaphy. Landorus helps with sand teams and Life Orb Torn can provide pressure to offense and stall alike. It isn't AV because Venu already checks Keldeo. So what's my last?

And since I actually did build this team, bonus points if the mon chosen ends up being the same mon I picked n_n

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Tail Glow

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 Atk / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Taunt

Last edited:

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
When I saw the team preview I noticed that there wasn't a Mega Evolution. I chose Mega Charizard X because it makes a Fire/Water/Grass Core (No Shit). But I also chose Zard X because of it being able to work well with Sand.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Reasons
1. Charizard gives the team a second Check/Counter to Bisharp, which is a pain to deal with when Keldeo is out of the game. It also gives a second Counter to Mega Sableye being able to not be burned by its Will-O-Wisp. Zard X also Checks Scizor which looks like a pain to deal with when Keldeo is also down.
2. The team already has a Rapid Spinner (Being Excadrill) to remove Field Hazards for Zard X. Also the team has 3 ways to beat Heatran, making it working well with Zard X's Moveset.
3. When Charizard sets up a Dragon Dance it can potentially sweep the opponents team without abusing weather which is used on a limited time (Mostly 5-8 Turns).

Last edited:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Not sure if we need an explanation/reasoning, but I chose Zard Y because it works well with Tyranitar and forms the famous double weather we all know. Also, the team literally can't kill Mega Venusaur, so Charizard Y is here to take it out.

Last edited:
Nominating DD Mega Gyarados

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate -> Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Crunch
-Earthquake

I think M-Gyara would fit to be the last mon for several reasons:

1- Gyarados weakens if not takes out threats to Air Balloon Excadrill such as Rotom-W, Slowbro, and Keldeo since they both share a lot of the same checks.

2- Pre Mega Evolving, Gyarados gives the team an additional check to Scizor and Keldeo as well as reduces the potency of opposing sand Excadrills thanks to Intimidate.

3-Provides the team with a secondary Bisharp check post mega, which can be very, very dangerous if Keldeo gets worn down.

4-Ground immune pre mega, which takes some pressure off balloon Excadrill and Celebi.

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
ArchPhantom and Team Pokepals, the post said the team has no mega. (Though those are some solid options fasho:])
When I said that, I meant that the team has no mega yet meaning that your suggestions can and probably should be megas.

I want to make it clear that this team doesn't HAVE a last mon. I'm not sitting on the answer here, you guys get to pick what the last mon is based on what you think would work best. And yes, each nom should have reasoning.

Rumor

when bae sees your sketchers light up

nomming my nigga m scizor

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 16 Def / 208 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Roost
- Swords Dance

idk what the evs are for bros ask my white friend daftmau5

even though this team has no floaty (puke) m scizor still puts in a lot of work w/ sand

this scizor set is made to take down opposing scizor, celebi, aero (teams kinda weak to it). it also takes down Lando-T 1v1 and isnt 2hko'd by lops hjk (p sure)

ArchPhantom and Team Pokepals, the post said the team has no mega. (Though those are some solid options fasho:])
he wants us to add a mega bro get w/ the program

wanted to do m-latias but it has already been reserved so nomming an unconventional mon,
presenting alakazam mega!

alakazam-mega.gif

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Encore

the team is quite weak to mega venusaur and opposing weather teams as well as sand rush exca as our exca needs to win a speed tie to beat it.
mega zam covers these weaknesses,is an awesome revenge killer and is a good wincon vs offense.the first three moves are standard and encore is for locking manaphy's into tail glow and cm users.its ability is kinda bad cuz landorus(sheer force) and greninja(protean) are both banned but still has the cool niche of revenging weather sweepers and completely walling defensive heatran(sometimes).

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i mean its pretty obvious that this team is meant for the ou no mega format. after all, who chooses their mega last?

Tornadus-T @ Assault Vest
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

ok so this team really has no true keldeo switch ins cuz Celebi cant recover its HP, and if that does then the team dies to specs hydros. this teasm only way of breaking mega venu is through SD excadrill but giga drain does like 50% to it so thats not very reliable. enter torn t, a mon that remedies both problems, makes the team leag for ou no mega, and gives the team a much needed pivot that generates momentum with u turn. av set is standard, but with focus blast > superpower for power and ability to wear down rotom easier since it avoids drops and hits on the lower spdef side. accuracy is a bit of an issue tho so what can you do aside from pray to the rng gods.

torn t also gives the team a last ditch way of dealing with LO alakazam should sand not be up because it takes psychic well and can u turn into something to finish it off.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Grass Knot
- Hammer Arm

Metagross provides an answer to Mega Venusaur while also being able to revenge kill Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr, Keldeo and Breloom which troubles the Excadrill + Tyranitar core. Having a secondary Fairy killer doesn't hurt either. Grass Knot allows Metagross to lure Slowbro and Quagsire so that Excadrill can sweep easier. Mega Metagross also benefits from Celebi and Clefable luring Bisharp, Skarmory and Mega Scizor, which are annoying for it to face. The downside to choosing Metagross is the fact that it causes the team to be weak to Mega Charizard-X and Y (only Excadrill under Sand can revenge kill) while also having no Ground-immunity, heaping a lot of pressure on Air Balloon Excadrill and Celebi.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
it's so obviously a zard but let's pretend it isn't for a second

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Talonflame does a couple of things for the team. Firstly, it checks Mega Venuaur, a big threat to the team, dpretty well, and completeles the FWG core. It also provides the team with a secondary answer to Mega Charizard Y, as well as a stallbreaker, which helps threatn more defensive teams which may otherwise be annoying to deal with. It checks Fairies in general, most of which can be very tough to deal with sin ce the only Fairy check on the team relies on Sand being up in a lot of cases, and isn't bulky enough to take powerful Moonbla&sts and Hyper Voices repeatidely.

But the main thing Talonflame does here is cripple physical walls like Garchomp, Hippowdon, Rotom-W, Quagsire, and Slowbro to a lesser extent via Will-O-Wisp, which enables Excadrill to sweep more easily. (I was also considering an offensive Sharp Beak set which weakens physical walls more directly, but the ability to stallbreak and switch into certain special attackers was imo more important).

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Earth Power

First and foremost, Tran completes the FWG core. It helps deal with bulky mons like Mew. It is a great switch in to Fairies. Also, chip damage from Sandstorm + Magma Storm really helps sweepers like Exca and Clefable pull through.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

p2

Banned deucer.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Refresh
- Frustration

Altaria fits pretty well on sand teams and considering that Celebi is luring Scizor + Heatran, it makes sense for Altaria to be DDD over the standard offensive set. Though this does leave the team very weak to Venusaur. Plus it helps with this teams pretty big Keldeo weakness.

Last edited:
I'm seeing a lot of good suggestions so far. However, this is project isn't just to make suggestions on what the last Pokemon should be, but also to discuss good ways to teambuild or patch up weaknesses. This means you should also discuss other suggestion, why it works or doesn't work, what weaknesses it opens up, etc. Halcyon and I will probably make a post weighing the pros and cons of each suggestion at some point, but everyone should do the same. Not only does it help you, it also allows everyone to learn from each other which is the goal of projects like this.

This team has trouble against Mega Venu since Celebi has no Psychic.
Unless the Mega is a good check/counter of course.

Rumor

when bae sees your sketchers light up
the teams weak to altaria

scizor : 1
everybody elses shitty ideas: 0
albacore: -1

Reactions: AM
I just had an unconventional thought. This team gets shafted by opposing rain teams, particularly Kabutops or Tornadus, with Kabutops often running low kick to screw over Ferrothorn and Tyranitar and Keldeo being the only check who can be outsped and worn down. As a result, I propose that Thundurus-Incarnate might be the last team member.

Thundurus-I @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
Timid Nature
-Thunder Wave
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice
-Grass Knot

With its ability to cripple most swift swimmers on rain teams with prankster + thunder wave and other threats to this team such as Mega Altaria so it can be outsped and KOed by Excadrill, Thundurus-I could very well be the last member on this team. If we're talking about the era where team preview wasn't a thing and Electivire was viable solely because it could capitalize on this, then you can never be too sure about what is next. Not all teams run a mega evolution, some of them like to bluff by having something that could potentially mega evolve. Grass knot is for dealing with Mega Swampert and Gastrodon outside of the rain. I'm assuming that Excadrill is the win condition for the opposing team, so Thundurus-I is also useful for its ability to cripple or defeat usual Excadrill checks such as Azumarill. Thundurus-I also provides another check to birdspam. This team may not seem weak to birdspam at first view, but Staraptor has Close Combat for Tyranitar and Talonflame can wear down Tyranitar by repeatedly U-turning. Final Gambit sets can also cripple Tyranitar to an extent, so just having Thundurus can make birdspam more unfavorable for the opponent.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Ok I'll contribute

I think the main issues with the team are a dependence of Keldeo to check Bisharp/Scizor, and a reliance on Celebi to beat Water types. The team also struggles hard core against mega venu unless the opponent lets it take a +2 EQ or something, which is highly unlikely. The best answer the team has to sand teams is celebi, and ttar + exca is going to eat that for breakfast. That's a lot of stuff to cover. At the very least though, I think Zard Y is the best option. It can beat everything on that list save Excadrill and certin water types like Keldeo. But it also pairs very well with ttar, and fills the mega slot of the team. It also appreciates Celebi luring tran so it doesn't have to risk Blast. Also the team's fairy check is excadrill and that just doesn't work. Zard Y seems the best to me.

I'm gonna start voting tomorrow so plese contribute while you can n_n

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)