Why no Slaking/Regigias?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the VGC is doubles, so why can't we have Bronzong and Slaking: Bronzong can take hits at the same time Skill Swap with Slaking... this way it's like having 3 Ubers: The two you already have and Slaking. I hope this is banned, as it is very cheap. I think it's not overused because it's a waste of Pokemon.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Because it's incredibly difficult to pull off, as you can very easily lose one of the Pokemon involved.

You sure this question can't simply go on the Simple Questions Simple Requests VGC edition thread? You might get more responses there too, I'm guessing.

Obvious strat is obvious.

Also it is slow. You using at least one turn to skill swap. Possibly another to skill swap it again.

If not for the attack penalty I could almost see gigas on a trick room team.

Or the fact that protect is so prevalent in the 2's environment. ruins slaking.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Its definitely not broken, its not even close to good, it wasn't even good in a meta without ubers.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You can use a turn to Skill Swap Slaking, or you can use that turn to do something like Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Explosion, etc.

You can't just look at the results of one turn and say "This seems good therefore it's broken.". You have to look at what you're giving up to use that strategy. In this case, you have to give up quite a bit.

You'll get your Slaking/Regigas double teamed before you even think of starting such a combo.
Just watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPgelSsOM4
While he does get to off one in the first turn, he's then swiftly offed himself in the next before he can do anything else.
I think that's the kind of thing you could expect considering Slaking

You'll get your Slaking/Regigas double teamed before you even think of starting such a combo.
Just watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPgelSsOM4
While he does get to off one in the first turn, he's then swiftly offed himself in the next before he can do anything else.
I think that's the kind of thing you could expect considering Slaking
Not the best example of why it's a bad idea, though, since he goes on to Skill Swap the Slow Start for Swift Swim and win...

Hm, Skill Swap Slow Start for Seaking's Swift Swim. Sibilance!

But wait, in that video that Regigias handled 2 Pokemon... that's not so bad.
And how is "wasting" a move doing Skill Swap any more "wasteful" than using Swords Dance? Other than /example: Mismagius getting Slow Start, it's basically the same thing...
I guess it's a bad idea, giving the fact you're just heaving Slow Start from one Pokemon to another, just that youtube video isn't the best idea.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The difference is that your boosted Pokemon will have more attack / special attack than Slaking without a boost, and your ally can do something next turn.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What obi and others have said is half of the answer: the setup uses up precious turns. The other half of the answer is that there's no reward for your setup time in the VGC environment. You take a turn to get Truant off of Slaking or Slow Start off of Regigigas and what do you get for your troubles? A Pokémon that's almost but not quite as good as the Ubers that are allowed in the tournament anyway. These are Ubers that are stronger than Slaking and Regigigas, but don't need any setup at all.

In certain environments that don't allow such powerful Legendaries, strategies that remove these negative abilities can be viable. I've used them. Still, you should NEVER USE SKILL SWAP ON SLAKING. There's a nifty little move called Gastro Acid that gets rid of Truant with no cost to the user. The downside? The Pokémon that learn it are on the weaker end of the spectrum.

If you want to use Skill Swap on Regigigas, that's more reasonable. I'd rather have a Slowbro or Slowking do it than a Mismagius, though. Mismagius cares about that hit to its Speed. Slowbro would just laugh and use it to wail on Trick Room teams.

Whaat? Was this in Japan? The only thing close I can think of is the power trick Shuckle at Seattle last year.
That's what I was referring to. The Power Trick strategy isn't so terrible, though you sacrifice a little precious time in the process.

Regigas will get destroyed by a lowkick, grass knot and with such low speed and attack for 5 turns that means you're pretty much screwed.

This morning at the Seattle VGC, there was a kid that made top 4 with Gastro Acid on the Regigias. Combo'd it with Substitute and Focus Punch.

It's the junior division of course so... ya.

stupid eight year olds...
i know my kind of classy people wont cheat like that
but im afraid my 12 year old cousin is gonna get farted on
hes telling me hes gonna use

Rayquaza
Mewtwo
Scizor
Snorlax

but hes planning to fix it.

Worry seed works too, and no one will see it coming. (I think it doesn't work on slaking) Regigigas is the better option but someone tried this with a smeargle and I just got rid of it before it could do anything. I won that match 4-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)