Worst Pokemon Sprites?

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
These are Gen 3:

Got no problem with these. They look very well distinguished and I like Shiny Latias's goldish color.

Now let's focus particularly on the Shiny Latias.

These are Gen 4:

Diamond/Pearl - Really good aesthetic and I like these the most but they completely put the wrong eye color. They mixed it up with the regular Latias.

Platinum - They tried to fix it but only did half the job.

HeartGold/SoulSilver - There you go now it's completely fixed!

These are Gen 3:

Got no problem with these. They look very well distinguished and I like Shiny Latias's goldish color.

Now let's focus particularly on the Shiny Latias.

These are Gen 4:

Diamond/Pearl - Really good aesthetic and I like these the most but they completely put the wrong eye color. They mixed it up with the regular Latias.

Platinum - They tried to fix it but only did half the job.

HeartGold/SoulSilver - There you go now it's completely fixed!
Oh, wow, I never knew about this! That's kinda funny

didls

formerly Besom
This is the closest to majestic for Dragonite

now sprites

I feel like this ones the best proportion wise.

Pose isn't that bad either
Too bad his colors wrong. What's with Gen 3s off palletes?
This is probably the best pose, wish it was more orange than yellow, though.

There's just something off about the HGSS sprite to me. The BW looks much better, even though it's in almost the same pose.

I actually like the HGSS sprite more than BW. BW's is a bit too...how to put this. "pointy"? The top half of the body goes to too sharp a point? Tiny head, smaller neck, but the rest of the body is about the same. Even compared to the other, non-HGSS sprites, its noticable.

HGSS is juuust right

didls

formerly Besom
I actually like the HGSS sprite more than BW. BW's is a bit too...how to put this. "pointy"? The top half of the body goes to too sharp a point? Tiny head, smaller neck, but the rest of the body is about the same. Even compared to the other, non-HGSS sprites, its noticable.

HGSS is juuust right
The neck is the same size as the FRLG and DPPt sprites. It's only noticeable because it's standing upright.
The tail on the HGSS is too short, and the stripes on its belly are perfectly straight. It kinda looks like an action-figurine of a Dragonite.

All Tyranitar's sprites are an off green. His art is more yellow, but they all except for GSC are blueish. Then GSC its neon
And outside BW, proportions are too what, except Gen 3, but there its neck is broken
And well BW's pose is way too stock, with the anim not helping
I'll say DP had the best for pose, but all sprites are marred to a degree

Yellow Fearow's wings are way too broad, and his beak too small

Most Crystal anims I like, but I feel like it was a missed opportunity not to use Silver's sprite for the final flap. Otherwise it's just weird
OG Crystal

My edit
View attachment 245537
Honestly I like the OG Crystal sprite more than the edit, no offense intended. It just has better facial expressions and the slow-moving wings are fine, unlike the other one where it seems like it’s a robo that has technical difficulties.

didls

formerly Besom
Honestly I like the OG Crystal sprite more than the edit, no offense intended. It just has better facial expressions and the slow-moving wings are fine, unlike the other one where it seems like it’s a robo that has technical difficulties.
I think their edit just needs another frame, then it would look fine. It kinda reminds me of certain Platinum animations that just look like it's switching between two different sprites.

Speaking of which, while playing Platinum, I've noticed that many of the new sprites are just the DP animation frames switched.
2020-05-23 23.28.23.jpg

I just realized since Gen 3 was an early GBA game, the colors would be suited for the native GBA colorspace, and not for GC player or modern RGB screens
To show what I mean, Nintendo got a proper screenshot for WLD4 for the press kit, as shown
wariola5.png

Vs GC player/Emulation
WL4-Cractus_Battle.png

So maybe many off color Gen 3 sprites were due to compensating for the OG GBA colorspace

Something I like about Gen 3 sprites, it mostly doesn't do this

Where they randomly have the lightsource in the center, even though that's not physically likely to happen in an open space unless it's high noon. Cartoons/Anime typically do this so they don't need to worry about scene continuity, but Pokemon has no reason to for non moving sprites
Though unfortunately it's broken several times. Kecleon is clearly lit like the above sample, and the trainers light direction is from above completely, which is new
then post Gen 4 everyone is treated like the above sample

Sudowoodo is interesting. DP uses almost the same pallete as RSEs
RSE:
Spr_3e_185.png

DP:
Spr_4d_185_m.png

Platinum and HGSS his sprite was updated with a different pose and much different pallete
Spr_4h_185_m.png
Spr_4p_185_m (1).png

They're all a lot more yellow than his art though, hmm

But back to sprites, Gen 4 back sprites overall are shaded oddly, having no consistent light source, and appearing flat due to poor use of its pallete. I made attempts to fix it, by having the light source be placed to the top left

Vigoroth
Gen4s.png

With outline colored*
Spr_b_4d_288outline.png

Sudowoodo
Spr_b_4p_185_m.png

Celebi
Spr_b_4p_251.png

was iffy about this one (the tilted head is hard to shade), so I added 1 shade for the paler green later
Spr_b_4p_2512.png

What do you guys think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)