Worst Pokemon Sprites?

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Personally I'm half half of what sprites I like from RG and B
Yeah, some are actually really good, people just see Mew and go EWWWW. Here are some of my favourites.
1596619281588.png
1596619296524.png
1596619307799.png
1596619335893.png
1596619347951.png
1596619379998.png
1596619397224.png

Part of the reason some look bad is due to some being resized during development, usually due to an evolution being added. Venonat is a good example of it. In the Tajiri Manga, you can see Venonat with a much larger sprite, but once Venomoth was added, it was downsized significantly. I think they did an amazing job tbh.
1596619511374.png
1596619435158.png

Yeah, some are actually really good, people just see Mew and go EWWWW. Here are some of my favourites.
View attachment 266947View attachment 266948View attachment 266949View attachment 266950View attachment 266951View attachment 266952View attachment 266953

Part of the reason some look bad is due to some being resized during development, usually due to an evolution being added. Venonat is a good example of it. In the Tajiri Manga, you can see Venonat with a much larger sprite, but once Venomoth was added, it was downsized significantly. I think they did an amazing job tbh.
View attachment 266955View attachment 266954
Also noted, the quality depended on the sprite artist
Sugimori's seemed to be the best outside RG Mew, then you have one artist overdo anti aliasing
Though then again, the anti aliasing may be the result of resizing

I also really want to say that, like...

Every Pokémon game since goes for getting the Pokémon as -accurate- as possible. As accurately proportioned, coloured, detailed etc to the official art as they can get.

But I really really like how RG went as stylised as it did; just a very surreal artstyle relative to what we usually get that still stands out today. A lot of people like to say they're just weird and bad because they're weird, and if you don't like it and don't think it works that's perfectly fine; but to me it just really captures the idea of a kid going out into this big wild world and encountering all these weird creatures.

The Mew everyone criticises? To me it looks like a strange enigmatic alien; something completely outwith the perception of anything you've seen before -- it even looks like it's studying you, as if it feels the same way about you and your Pokémon! Ninetales is a Pokémon heavily attached to folklore and myth, and its RG sprite looks very much like how old folklore artists would interpret and draw something like that. Parasect's most horrifying aspects - its dead eyes peeking under the shell; its massive claws - are heavily emphasised and capture its nature perfectly. Fearow's sprite comes closer to feeling like a bird of prey than most bird Pokémon sprites with its curled up wings making it look like it's coming down for a divebomb on some unsuspecting prey. Arbok, similarly to Parasect; has its most prominent feature emphasised and is posed in such a way that makes it look proud and regal. Kingler has a particularly wonderful one, peeking out at you from behind its giant open claw! The Gastly line as well feels suitably creepy, abnormal and difficult to pin down; Gengar in particular being barely distinct from a vague shadow in the street -- one you might have easily mistaken from your eyes playing tricks on you.

Even when they don't go for directly capturing specific character traits like those, overall the RG artstyle's odd proportions and expressions capture something a little more strange and a little less anime-ish which makes for a very interesting thing to look back on, and I think it just got the spirit of what Tajiri thought of in the first place. I love these sprites!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hm, comparing each Pokemon's Gen I sprites, that sounds interesting. And just for fun let's also throw in the Yellow sprites:

RG & Blue/RB:

Yellow:

• Bulbasaur: You know, I'm going to give this one to the original RG. Sure it's a stock pose, but for one of the first Pokemon I feel that's kind of appropriate so we can see it in clear detail. Blue/RB's jumping looks a bit more dynamic but doesn't give you a clear idea what it's supposed to be. Yellow is from a head on angle and I feel Bulbasaur is best seen from a side angle cause otherwise its just a head, front legs, and bulb.
  • Ivysaur: Yellow for sure. RG's looks malnourished, like its becoming more flower than hybrid creature. Blue/RB's actually has some interesting trivia as it goes against what the Pokedex says, Ivysaur isn't supposed to be able to stand on its hind legs anymore but here it is, standing on two feet like saying "yeah, a lot of what the Pokedex says is BS a ten year old came up with".
  • Venusaur: A tough choice but I'm gonna go with Blue/RB's. My main issue with RG's and Yellow are the same, it's also the same issue I had with Yellow's Bulbasaur sprite: it makes it looks like Venusaur is a head, tree-flower, and two legs attached to the head. Blue/RB's meanwhile is a nice side angle stock pose, showing how big and girthy it is now while also not overshadowing the tree-flower.

• Charmander: Another tough choice since they all have their good points, but I'm going with RG's as I like the energy it's showing off, something you'd expect from a creature with its tail on fire. Would have liked if its mouth was a little bit more opened, though another reason why I like the RG sprite is because it looks like it's smiling, a welcoming face for one of the first Pokemon you see to have.
  • Charmeleon: I like Blue/RB's because it looks like it's in a middle of a slashing. Yellow is certainly threatening to slash though looks one handed. RG's arms look to short to do anything.
  • Charizard: Once again, Blue/RB takes it but sort of for the opposite reason to Charmeleon. Charizard just looks so big and opposing here, the hunched over angle making it looks like it would be towering you if standing up straight. RG's looks both too friendly and also a bit overdesigned, like the additional flame (breathe?) meddles the design and overshadows the tail flame. Yellow of course looks better drawn, but that takes away some of the menace the Blue/RB design shows off; plus the coloring makes it hard to see the flame on its tail while layered on its wing.

• Squirtle: Yellow if only because you can more clearly see its face (it's pretty much a better version of its RG sprite). Blue/RB's is cute doing the mid-walk pose RG Charmander is doing but to me I feel face detail is important for a firm first impression of a Starter.
  • Wartortle: All of them are pretty good, each striking a cool pose. So, I guess just because it's just better sprite quality, my pick is Yellow once again.
  • Blastoise: Yellow has been very nice to the Squirtle family, I love that dynamic pose. RG's may be the stock pose but it's a pretty good recreation of the stock pose. Blue/RB I guess they were trying to make it look intimidating but they made it too rounded, especially with how big they made the shell.

• Caterpie: Pretty consistent between all of them, so going with Yellow as you can more clearly tell its antenna is an antenna and not a pair of eyebrows.
  • Metapod: Okay, let's get this straight: Metapod doesn't have a big nose nor angry eyes, it's face is the other direction. With that said, my pick would be the RG as I feel it tries its best to show this by having it facing the same direction as Caterpie and Butterfree. To be fair, Blue/RB also has it facing the same direction as its evolutions but they way they made it curl (which is something I don't think Metapod can do, at least as extreme as this) makes it look like Metapod is facing the other direction. Yellow may be the most guilty of the confusion, though I read an interesting theory that you are actually supposed to see an angry face on Metapod's back as a way to scare off predators. Neat theory, though dex description don't mention it (and Yellow is the only Metapod to do this) so going to assume it was just a mistake.
  • Butterfree: They all are pretty much the same, but I like Blue/RB more. It's in a more dynamic pose than RG's and you get that feel of its giant wings keeping it afloat compared to Yellow's which looks like it's hopping on the ground with wings the same size as its body.

• Weedle: So was Weedle not supposed to have legs originally? Well, whatever the case Yellow has its stubby legs so, at least by modern standards, I guess makes it the best of the three.
  • Kakuna: Now there is a choice to be made here. I prefer the "meaner" eyes of RG and Blue/RB as opposed to Yellow's more calmer stare. Now RG is more accurate while Blue/RB has the error of having its arms free-moving. But I actually like the free-moving arms, it gives it something that makes it different from Metapod. And it does make some sense it would have some movement as it can still use Poison Sting as a Kakuna and how else would it do that? So I'm going to pick the Blue/RB because I feel the moving arms is a better looking design.
  • Beedrill: Yellow, and not just for the dynamic pose. RG's and Blue/RB's Beedrill look a bit awkward, like it's a guy dressed in a giant wasp costume. Now Yellow also looks like that, but the giant spike hand pointing at you kind of distracts you from that. I also like Yellow's wing veins being more visible.

• Pidgey: Basic sprites all around so goes to Yellow.
  • Pidgeotto: Now I would pick the RG as I think it's the most visually interesting. Now that's not saying much, all of them are bland, but RG having its mouth open and taller tail feathers give it more life than the others. It is a bit fat and Yellow is detailed better, but RG just has that bit more of a charm to it.
  • Pidgeot: I'm also going with the RG as I feel it hits a nice balance. Blue/RB's is crouching down making it look squashed while Yellow has it's wings open blockign view of its main feature, it's long crest. RG had it standing up showing its size while also letting us see its crest clearly.

• Rattata: Blue/RB looks ready for a fight! RG's and Yellow are just standing there. Yellow looks a bit more cute, though since this is a sprite that's used in battle would prefer a more action pose than a "buy my plush" pose.
  • Raticate: Blue/RB looks ready for a fight! RG's and Yellow are just standing there. Yellow looks a bit more cute... oh, alright you caught be copy & pasting. But up until me saying it's "cute" I was being honest. And speaking of which, I honestly don't like Yellow's as it's making grabby hands instead of lunging forward with its teeth bared; looks unnatural.

• Spearow: As much as I want to go pick Blue/RB's "I'm done with this s#%&" sprite, I'm going with the more lively RG where its cawing and scratching. Yellow just stands by.
  • Fearow: As mentioned above by Kurona, RG it actually pretty dynamic, looking like how a bird of prey would swoop down and attack a target. Blue/RB it a bit confusing, are we looking at it from a strange angle or is it flying toward us tilted like that? Yellow is boring, just a side view with its wings open.

• Ekans: Look, I know we all love RG's Ekans, but there's slightly "Kakuna with blade arms" off-model and then there's "stretched out Bellsprout" off-model. The best is Yellow; Blue/RB's isn't quite there yet. Yellow is also in a more neater pose than just your vertical typical snake coil.
  • Arbok: I like RG as I get the feel of the size of Arbok and I can clearly see its hood pattern. While I would like having the head of Yellow's it's not as important as showing off the hood. I would have gone with Blue/RB but I don't like the way the tail bends at the end, it also looks a bit more slimmer which I think takes away from its size.

• Pikachu: Ooh, do I pick funnily off-model Pikachu or accurate (fat) Pikachu? I like Blue/RB's as it's in a more lively pose, a definite upgrade to RG's just standing there. Yellow's is also just standing there, but if I'm going to be fair there's really no reason not to say it's the better sprite. Don't worry funnily off-model Pikachu, you (sorta) got turned into a Gigantamax form so you may be gone but not forgotten!
  • Raichu: Man I forgot how dark Raichu originally was, was this why Alolan Raichu is a dark orange? Like with Pikachu, Blue/RB is a more lively version of RG's. But unlike Pikachu, that one is my pick! Sure, Yellow is more accurately colored (except for its cheeks but that's GB color limitations for ya) and proportioned, but it's pose blocks its tail and I feel one or Raichu's main traits is its tail.

• Sandshrew: All sprites for Sandshrew are cute, so while I normally pick the one that looks like it's ready to rumble, this time I think I'll go for the opposite. And the winner, in my opinion, is Blue/RB which has it sitting down, it's tail waggling behind it, as it awaits to get pummeled by Water- and Grass-type moves. RG has it standing up while Yellow has it in a mid-curling up pose, cute in their own ways but it just sitting there in the middle of battle is just too funny of an image.
  • Sandslash: And you know what, for best Sandslash I'm also giving it to Blue/RB. But Sandslash isn't passing on cuteness (not saying it isn't, but that's not what I'm basing my choice on), but rather has a cool "ready for battle" pose; crouched down, claws at the ready, and quills sticking up. Both RG's and Yellow's is just standing there, which is especially disappointing for Yellow as they showed Sandshrew in an interesting pose you'd think they would do the same for Sandslash.

• Nidoran (female & male): Going to pair these next few together as until their final stage I think my favorite sprites for the basic and mid stage are from the same games. Starting with the basic stage, I think the Nidorans from RG best depicts them. I think they're just a recreation of their stock art, but I feel they're the most clear of what is different about them. Blue/RB has them in a more action pose which at first looks more visually interesting but the female ears are down and the male's ears are covering a lot of its back spikes as it's in mid jump. While you can still tell a difference between them it's not as drastic. Yellow I don't know what they were thinking, sure they are different colors but they look like they're laying down on their stomachs and look almost identical in shape.
  • Nidorina & Nidorino: Switching the issues, I think Blue/RB is the best for the mid stages. They look more dynamic, which is odd as RG shows the female standing up and the male with one leg ready to scratch. But as I said were problems with the basic stage in faux-motion, the more different their sprite from one another the harder it can be to tell them apart. Blue/RB just has both in a "battle ready" post, thus standing still and showing the main differences between the two. Yellow isn't too bad though go the opposite direction, the female fully standing up while the male has twisted its body like its carefully watching it's opponent move around it.
  • Nidoqueen: Poor Nidoqueen, only decent sprite of it is Blue/RB which is a stock art pose. RG looks like it's a balloon and Yellow just wants a big hug.
  • Nidoking: Aside from happy funtime balloon RG, Nidoking has two nice sprites and for this one I'm picking the Yellow. Blue/RB isn't bad, on the contrary it looks quite good and fierce. But Yellow is a much more dynamic pose, Nidoking pushing forward ready to crush you with its claw.

• Clefairy: It was a tough choice between RG's "wat goin on?" and Blue/RB's "leap into danger", but I think I'll pick Blue/RB's because it best represents Clefairy's attitude. Yellow I kind of find lacking, nothing really stands out about it (I'm beginning to wonder if for many Pokemon GF was relying on them being in color being enough to make the sprites stand out).
  • Clefable: And of course as soon as I say that do I then pick a Yellow sprite. There's just something that doesn't look quite right with Blue/RB (I think its the placement/proportion of the arms?) and RG is just bland. Yellow however gives it a bigger expression and turn it more of an angle so we can better see its wings and tail.

• Vulpix: Though I can tell RG and Blue/RB are Vulpix, there's just something about them which pushes me away, I think it's the beady eyes. So Yellow wins, though Yellow isn't a bad sprite with a more lively pose for the cute fox.
  • Ninetales: I never realized how interesting Ninetales sprites were, infact they kind of become less dynamic as we progress. RG has it breathing fire while all nine of its tales tails are standing on end. Blue/RB still shows it breathing fire but it's a smaller flame and it now has its tails draping over it. Yellow is more accurate though is just standing there, even pushing its tail to behind it (making it impossible to see it having nine tails which the other sprites showed).

• Jigglypuff: Those eyes... RG and Blue/RB are pretty much the same as both want to suck out your soul just Blue/RB has it's hands up. Yellow gives us the Jigglypuff we know and won't snack on our heart so I'm going with it.
  • Wigglytuff: ... THOSE EYES... RG looks crazed and and Blue/RB is definitely on something. Yellow also looks like there's not much going on behind the wheel but it I can probably sleep with in the room, just gotta remember its there when I wake up and see a pink blob staring at me from the corner.

• Zubat: Zubat is a pretty simple Pokemon so they'd really have to exaggerate its features to make it off model, and RG did exactly that. It's jaw barely fits on its body and its "legs" look like someone stuck chopsticks into it. Blue/RB did a much better job and I think to get the idea what the Zubat is supposed to look like it's the best. Yellow is a nice dynamic pose of it flying head first/swooping down, but it also does make it look flat.
  • Golbat: Oh I'm sure we all know about Blue/RB's Golbat sprite. And the funny thing is RG looks like what Golbat should, you'd think it would be swapped around. Not that it matters, while making Zubat look more visually interesting didn't work I think Yellow's Golbat looks very lively.

• Oddish: Yellow added upon Blue/RB which added upon (or maybe rather cut off) RG.
  • Gloom: Can't say the same for Gloom. Yellow ditches something RG and Blue/RB had which was this spore effect and I think that was a downgrade. And while RG just had the spore all around it, Blue/RB was a bit more selective where the spores were thrown making it look the best (it's pose is also more expressive even if the face only slightly changes).
  • Vileplume: Honestly I don't really like any of Vileplume's sprites. I'd say the best would be Blue/RB since it's just it standing there, the flower doesn't look overgrown like in RG, and it's not at a strange angle like in Yellow. Seeing what they did with the spores in the Blue/RB Gloom I feel disappointed that when you evolve it it becomes pretty plain looking.

• Paras: I think RG hits the right balance. While I like the angle of Blue/RB you don't really get a good idea what Paras looks like, hard to see the second mushroom. Meanwhile Yellow looks flat, hard to tell its mushrooms aren't just segmented body pieces.
  • Parasect: Yellow is technically accurate, but as shown by Plague von Karma I think RG's is better as it gets across the sort of "otherworldly" feeling Parasect has. And not "otherwordly" as in alien or spiritual, Parasect has been taken over by this primitive organism that makes it do things like sit around in damp caves all day, only going out to drink nutrients from tree roots when the mushroom realizes the bug is about to keel over. It's a zombie, but it's not the zombie doing the thinking. I guess in that line of thinking the Blue/RB could be it coming out of the ground?... Yeah, it's not as good, kind of looks like the mushroom grew a pair of mandibles and walking around on two skinny legs.

• Venonat: One of the few Pokemon they got right from the get-go, it looks so friendly especially the Blue/RB one who is waving hi! Yellow also looks fine though it's too much in a rush to say hi, well fine I didn't want to pick you anyway.
  • Venomoth: Huh, on closer look RG and Blue/RB Venomoth are pretty off-model in its textures. Wings look like they're shiny instead of vein-y and the abdomen looks like a plaid pattern instead of striped. If you didn't already guess, I'm picking Yellow cause I prefer the accurate textures.

• Diglett: It's Diglett, what else can I say? Get a hat, write "RG", "Blue/RB", and "Yellow" on three pieces of paper, mix them in the hat and the one you pull out is the one that's the best.
  • Dugtrio: Now Dugtrio surprisingly has something to work with as all three have the head formation a bit different. RG is the traditional image with the heads getting longer and longest in the back. Always found that a bit odd, how long is a single Diglett supposed to be? Blue/RB separates them more so they're sort of forming a Diglett Triforce, looks better though maybe a bit unnatural? Finally Yellow goes back to the original formation but with a twist: the angle is looking downwards at Dugtrio. Now the back member doesn't look horribly stretched and I think is the best one of the three.

That's 51 down, 100 more to go! So far this is how my personal dex is looking:

(
+
+
= )

Kakuna: Now there is a choice to be made here. I prefer the "meaner" eyes of RG and Blue/RB as opposed to Yellow's more calmer stare. Now RG is more accurate while Blue/RB has the error of having its arms free-moving. But I actually like the free-moving arms, it gives it something that makes it different from Metapod. And it does make some sense it would have some movement as it can still use Poison Sting as a Kakuna and how else would it do that? So I'm going to pick the Blue/RB because I feel the moving
Kakuna having arms isn't actually off-model. It's just something that almost no one realized Kakuna could do. That "tie" is actually its arms.

Bandai_Kakuna_card.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if this is no longer canon, though.

Kakuna having arms isn't actually off-model. It's just something that almost no one realized Kakuna could do. That "tie" is actually its arms.

View attachment 267379

Its no longer canon like 4 fingered mons, Poliwhirl having fingers period, Lapras having fangs, Weedle having belly spots, Graveler having brown fingers, Slowpoke having a belly like Slowbro, and Explosion actually blasting Koffing line, Golem, and Voltorb line into pieces

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.

View attachment 267379

This was retconned during Pokemon Gold and Silver's development. During the time of the Spaceworld '97 demo, Kakuna had a back sprite featuring the arms outstretched. This wasn't featured on the front sprite, though. It's funny this is mentioned since there's even Pokedex entries talking about this ability that have just been completely forgotten/ignored.
PokeGoldDemo-back_014.png
PokeGoldDemo-front_014.png

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
  • Meowth: Meowth has really good sprites all around, each having its own flavor. RG is directly referencing the Maneki-neko, Blue/RB also references the Maneki-neko but in a more "natural" way a cat could do to make the pose, and finally Yellow ditches the reference to instead give it a more action pose. As much as I like Yellow, I like the design basis reference but not make it too obvious, so going with Blue/RB.
  • Persian: Sadly Persian isn't that visually interesting. RG is a cat on high alert, Blue/RB is a relaxed cat, and Yellow is a cat on the prowl. Yellow is the most interesting of the three.

• Psyduck: Well Yellow automatically fails as it has Psyduck holding its head with only one hand. So its between RG's standard pose or Blue/RB's "head tilt" pose... and I actually feel RG is more representative of Psyduck. Hear me out, Psyduck always has a headache so it's holding its head to try and keep it straight. Blue/RB Psyduck looks like it's being inquisitive, it's confused as in its questioning about something not confused as it mentally stressed.
  • Golduck: Don't really find any of its sprites that interesting, so going with Yellow cause more detail and dynamic pose.

• Mankey & Primeape: Yellow. Yes, I like how bendy Mankey looks but this is about what sprite looks best and Yellow looks like Mankey. Primeape all looks the same but Yellow just looks cleaner and is in a more exaggerated berserker pose.

• Growlithe: Ugh, I like Blue/RB's pose but Yellow just looks better.
  • Arcanine: When I think Arcanine I see a sprite like RG, and not because it's in its stock art pose (well, not entirely). Arcanine is a Pokemon that's meant to look majestic, a proud lion-dog with its fur ruffling in the wind. Blue/RB also does that, but something about it sitting down takes a bit of the majesticism away as it's now looking like its waiting to be thrown a treat. Yellow is serviceable at best, flat and eye hurting at worst.

• Poliwag: Yellow because it just looks more proportionally right. I get with Blue/RB and especially with RG they wanted to have the swirly stomach upfront but they made it too big where I feel its a bit too distracting. Yellow the swirl is there, front and center, but it's also a creature you would see walking around.
  • Poliwhirl: RG is default pose so our attention is on Blue/RB and Yellow which is giving us a "I'm ready" fist. And out of the two I feel Blue/RB is stronger, sure its swirl isn't quite correct but the angle it's standing gives it a really strong clenched fist position (it's also even-footed as opposed to Yellow which for some reason is slanted).
  • Poliwrath: While RG is getting pumped, Blue/RB is already in the middle of doing a karate chop! However, in doing so it's blocking the stomach swirl. And sure, by know you probably get that its stomach has a swirl so you don't need to fully see it, but consider Yellow where it also is in a "battle ready" pose but you see the entire stomach (and it being at a slant makes sense as it looks like it's running). So while I like the karate chop pose, Yellow I think is a better representation.

• Abra: Yellow easing back there is a pretty nice idea, though I have two problems with it the other sprites don't do. First it's a neat pose but not one Abra is seen ever doing. Yes, it's a shallow reason, but as an accurate representation of Abra RG and Blue/RB shows it in the pose we always see it in. The second problem is it's hard to make out it has its hands behind its head. And while you do see Blue/RB's hands, I feel RG stands out a bit more as it's not as scrunched up so it's oddly the more detailed one. Going with RG.
  • Kadabra: Just cause I'm spiteful I'm picking Yellow as it has the red star on its forehead, f*** off Uri Geller. Though Kadabra doesn't really have the best sprites as it's kind of a visual mesh (and Blue/RB looks like a smaller Alakazam with a tail). Yellow is also in a cooler pose so, even if it's also hard to tell the exact details on it.
  • Alakazam: Both RG and Blue/RB have it bending its spoons, however Blue/RB has one thing over RG: it's only bending one of its spoons. By only having it bend on of its spoons I think it better shows it's using its psychic power to change the spoon's shape while in RG its just carrying around two strangely formed spoons. And the only thing I can think of when I see Yellow is "okay, cover your left eye and tell me the letters on the bottom line".

• Machop: I think Machop's sprite just got better each time they made one so going with Yellow.
  • Machoke: I want to pick Yellow again but it's sprite is slanted for no reason. I also better like the pose its in which is the same pose Blue/RB is in, but Blue/RB looks like it got one too many blows to the head. So, out of the process of elimination, RG wins.
  • Machamp: This is a bit tougher as all of Machamp's sprites are unique from one another. RG defaults but is hard to not have a four armed lizardman not look interesting, Blue/RB has it jumping toward you ready to grapple/strike you, and Yellow it's flexing but also ready to bash while it stands over you. All pretty powerful poses, but I'm going to pick Blue/RB as it's a more dynamic pose to RG and you can clearly tell it has four arms where I feel Yellow has a little problem displaying.

• Bellsprout: I have no idea what's going on with the shading on RG and Blue/RB but it's why I'm going with Yellow on this.
  • Weepinbell & Victreebel: Yellow are the ones which default, and so does RG Victreebel. I think RG Weepinbell tried to be default but they had no idea how to draw a Pokemon which was pretty much a head. Blue/RB may only look slightly better than RG but I find their poses more interesting than Yellow so I can overlook their wonky art as long as they look good enough.

• Tentacool & Tentacruel: I just love Tentacruel's "tough guy crossed arm" pose in Blue/RB, lol. However sadly it blocks one of its key traits, the front stinger, so I don't feel it would be right to have it be the right representative. That leads to RG and Yellow and, well, guess which one looks better and has a more interesting pose? Yup, Yellow wins not only for Tentacruel but also Tentacool as it was drawn with longer tentacles which looks way better it having then RG's and Blue/RB's short noodles.

• Geodude, Graveler & Golem: I was really leaning toward Blue/RG "thumbs up" Geodude but honestly, looking at the entire line, Yellow is the best for all of them. Especially Golem. Graveler isn't bad but Yellow gives you the best view of what it looks like.

• Ponyta: Now the only difference between RG and Blue/RB is that it's head is facing a different direction, but I feel that makes enough of a difference as Blue/RB's profile shot looks more natural/less creepy than RG's looking straight into your soul. Yellow tries showing Ponyta in a gallop but it just looks like a rocking horse that's missing the curved beams at the bottom (so it's more of a "stand still horse").
  • Rapidash: RG defaults so that's out of the way. Blue/RG is looking very majestic, however Yellow looks awesome with it being mid-leap with flames surrounding it. Being this is for a "rapid dash" fire horse, Yellow runs on ahead.

• Slowpoke: I could actually see a trio of Slowpoke by a riverside doing all these poses. RG is still processing, Yellow knowing its fishing but can't remember why exactly, and finally Blue/RB has it all figured out and is just here to have a good time. And aren't we all?
  • Slowbro: Now Slowbro has an additional thing to show off. All of them I feel do a good job doing it in their own way, though I feel Blue/RB confused which one of them was mostly meant to be on frame so put the Shellder in front and itself in the back. Yellow's pose is a bit confusing as it looks like the Shellder is on its back and doesn't look quite happy about it. Back going back to RG, we see it has it figured out.

• Magnemite: Close to me just making it the "Diglett shrug" of my previous post, but there's enough design difference where I'm leaning towards Yellow. It's the screw. RG's is too tall and Blue/RB's looks like a pin.
  • Magneton: Is Blue/RB even put together? Well RG and Yellow are, and of the two I feel RG gives you a better idea what it looks like as you can clearly more see its screw "legs".

• Farfetch'd: I like Farfetch'd holding its leek with its wings instead of beak as that's how it attacks, so be default I'm going with RG as it's the only one doing that.

• Doduo & Dodrio: With it having three heads on long necks its easy to get lost with its design like we see with their Blue/RB sprites (they don't look bad, but it does look like their heads are either directly connect to their body or has a short neck). So it's between RG and Yellow which are both in a default pose but I like RG more as they made Doduo a bit more lively and Dodrio is more nicely shaded (or rather, has shading at all; were they rushed with some of the Yellow sprites?).

• Seel: Seel's sprites are all pretty similar, it's really just what pose you prefer. For me, it's Blue/RB as it looks the more lively. RG looks like it's having problems moving around and Yellow I think the solid blue tongue is too distracting.
  • Dewgong: Same deal as above, but I think this time I'm going with RG. It's a bit more of a graceful looking pose. Blue/RB is oddly more of the default this time while Yellow has it floating backwards which makes it look like its falling.

• Grimer & Muk: For two monsters made of sludge I think making them more exaggerated helps them stand out. In this case that would be Blue/RB for both, Grimer having an elongated mouth and Muk's hand being enlarged shows a stronger difference between the two than RG and Yellow.

• Shellder: Another "Diglett shrug", even moreso than Magnemite. In this case I'd go with RG, Blue/RB didn't get the angle proportions exactly right and Yellow we're missing a bit of the back details.
  • Cloyster: RG is default... which in this case isn't a bad thing, infact it's the one I'm picking. Infamous sprite error time, or maybe GF was just experimenting with the idea of different variants of Cloyster (like Slowbro's Shellder), but Blue/RB is just not right and I do prefer vertical Cloyster to horizontal. Yellow is also vertical but is at a weird top down angle, I'm not sure how we're even seeing it like that unless it's falling over.

• Gastly: Another sprite oddity, RG and Blue/RB is just a cloud of pixels. Yellow is the Gastly we're familiar with and the one I prefer.
  • Haunter: All of Haunter's sprites are alright, can't go wrong with any of them. While it doesn't show off the floating arms that well, I do like the "sharpness/edginess" of Blue/RB; makes it look more dangerous.
  • Gengar: I get what Kurona is saying about RG Gengar, it does look more humanoid shaped than the others. However it is just standing there (menacingly... but still just standing there). Not sure what exactly Blue/RB is doing, but doesn't matter as I like Yellow's more "here I am" pose, it's like a shadow ready to grab and engulf you.

• Onix: Onix holds a very important role in Gen I and the franchise as a whole. Up until you face Brock all other Pokemon have been normal animals: birds, bugs, rats and other small mammals. The most fantastic creatures so far have been the Starters. When you battle Brock he first sends out Geodude, a rock with muscle arms. Cool, but not that impressive. But once you beat it that's when things get serious, as you go from battling a pebble with arms to a GIGANTIC ROCK SNAKE! This is when Pokemon puts the emphasis on "monster" in "Pocket Monster". Onix needs to feel big, and I feel the best sprite that does it is Blue/RB. Blue/RB is in a spiral pose, and as it gets closer to the head the rock segments get bigger. This creates a pseudo 3D effect where makes Onix look longer and thus also bigger. RG isn't bad but with the rocks all the same size it makes the image look more static. And Yellow looks like what you'd think the RG sprite would have, which is really disappointing as the anime really emphasized Onix's size.

• Drowzee & Hypno: RG and Blue/RB are pretty default, Yellow tries a bit harder with giving them more lively poses so going with that.

• Krabby & Kingler: Another infamous error, this time its Blue/RB with TWO large claws. Sadly two big claws make the image looks squished, but as the RG sprite shows one is just right. I'm torn between it and Yellow's more interesting angle, but I like the emphasis RG puts on the claw's size. Krabby is "Diglett shrugged", I'll pick RG as I do prefer its claws up rather than down. Yellow's angle, much like with Kingler, is interesting but it's pose, unlike Kingler, isn't which takes more away from doing the interesting angle then not having done it.

• Voltorb & Electrode: Voltorb is the last time I'm going to say "Diglett shrug", I promise, but it is (I mean, it's just a ball, how much different can they make it?). So that just leaves Electrode to make my decision on. If you look carefully you can kind of see Electrode is technically off-model as it has a "complete" eye, it's just the white part of its body hides the sclera. And while Yellow gets it correct, since the sclera is hidden I'm going to pick the one with the smile I like better and that's Blue/RB.

• Exeggcute: For some reason Blue/RB and, to a lesser extent, Yellow has the center egg bigger than all the others. I don't get why, like I get they need to do something to make a batch of eggs interesting but this is a strange way to do it. So with that said I'm picking RG as it looks the most normal.
  • Exeggutor: While we aren't at Alolan Exeggutor levels, normal Exeggutor is still fairly tall looking which Yellow does the best. RG is too stout and Blue/RB is too stout and also creepy.

Just under 50 more to go!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
  • Cubone: I don't like the poses of Blue/RB and Yellow as you don't get a good look at Cubone, so RG default it is.
  • Marowak: The skull looks odd in RG and Blue/RB, even though I like the dynamic pose of the Blue/RB. So Yellow's better detail wins out.

• Hitmonlee: All his sprites are pretty dynamic, but my favorite is Blue/RB; not too plain like RG but not too obscuring like Yellow.
  • Hitmonchan: Alright, let's get this out of the way: Hey, why is RG a Togekiss watching a Doduo poop? Ha ha ha. Honestly none of Hitmonchan's sprites are that great, they're all either at weird angles/poses. Out of all of them I would pick Blue/RB as it at least looks like a humanoid and giving out a punch.

• Lickitung: All of Lickitung's sprites are in more or less a default pose, so while for these I usually go with Yellow instead I'm going to go with RG as you see most of the body details and its tongue is longer which is kind of important for Lickitung to have.

• Koffing & Weezing: Another infamous sprite error, Blue/RG has the skull logo above Koffing's face instead of below. In addition they make Weezing's second face more of a bump growing from the main head instead of two head sphere's that are connected. Yellow doesn't really do anything interesting with them either, and it's Weezing is angled oddly. So it's RG for both of them, especially for Koffing as it has the "smog hands" early art for Koffing had but sadly isn't a thing anymore.

• Rhyhorn & Rhydon: Rhydon, the first Pokemon made and programmed into the game. If we're to take historical significance into account that I should pick RG, but how do the others compare? Blue/RB has a more intimidating expression which more fits Rhydon; also downplaying the mistake of the second horn. Meanwhile Yellow places it in a dynamic pose of it pointing its head forward like it's about ready to rush ahead; also completely removing the second horn. So, which am I going with? Well, sometimes being the first doesn't mean you're the best. I think Blue/RB is superior as it looks meaner and not at an obscuring angle. Likewise, I'm also going with Blue/RB Rhyhorn for pretty much the same reason.

• Chansey: Yellow is the most accurate, but I don't like the pose. Blue/RB I feel would then be the best as, while being the same as RG's slightly off-model, the lively & tilted angle pose it's in hides it better.

• Tangela: All of them does the tangling vine hair just fine, but I think the deciding difference is the feet. RG's feet are pretty much stubs. Blue/RB is a bit better having the right shape. Yellow is of course on model, BUT it's the same color as the vines and it's in a middle of a jumping pose making them blend in. So Blue/RB walks on through.

• Kangaskhan: So do you like the parent roaring or the child? If you like the parent you have a choice between Blue/RB and Yellow. However I like the child actually getting somewhat involved, makes me feel less bad sending a Pokemon carrying a baby into battle if the baby is also ready to scrap.

• Horsea: Horsea's sprite just gets better each time they do one so Yellow it is.
  • Seadra: Now, Yellow Seadra is probably the best, but it's facing the "wrong" way. That was fine for Horsea as it's a cute little seahorse, you would think it's first response would be running away. But Seadra is a spiky sea dragon, it should be facing the opponent in battle. So I'm torn between RG's default or Blue/RB's more dynamic pose. From what I said I should choose Blue/RB, but I'm going to pick RG as you see more of its design and it just facing the right direction I think is enough to know its engaging the opponent.

• Goldeen & Seaking: Don't feel neither Blue/RB nor Yellow shows them off the best so RG it is.

• Staryu & Starmie: Yellow has them laying flat on the floor and looked at from an odd angle so not them. Though that's a problem as otherwise RG and Blue/RB are identical... except in one way. RG Starmie's front star "legs" are longer while Blue/RB's back star bottom point is longer. I think the front legs being longer look better so RG gets two stars.

• Mr. Mime: Another Pokemon where you don't necessarily want a dynamic pose, Yellow looks nice but not that mime-like. Both RG and Blue/RB are doing some miming, and of them I feel RG has the more interesting hand positions.

• Scyther: RG defaults so it's between Blue/RB and Yellow which has Scyther in pretty awesome poses. Blue/RB is the most dynamic while Yellow you see more of its body, and I feel a better representation would be Yellow in that case.

• Jynx: Well obviously the best one is Virtual Console's redo of Yellow's sprite. Joking aside, Jynx doesn't really change its pose that much so it's the little things which makes the difference and this time it's Blue/RB which has Jynx winking.

• Electabuzz: All of them are good so it's personal preference. My pick is Blue/RB as I feel the two fits but at different positions is the stronger stance.

• Magmar: Is Blue/RB falling? And Yellow looks like it's losing its balance. RG has both of its feet firmly planted so it gets to stand tall.

• Pinsir: Yellow has the correct eyes (and a neat pose).

• Tauros: Tauros has okay sprites all around so it goes to Yellow, especially since I feel it has a pretty strong charging pose.

• Magikarp: So let's think, the point of Magikarp is that its supposed to look like a disappointment that way you don't fee bad it's surprising it evolves into a fierce Gyarados! So I think the plain ol' RG is fine as it shows Magikarp as it should: just a fish. No fancy tail work like Blue/RB or it in a middle of a leap like Yellow. You got what you were scammed fished for.
  • Gyarados: Now going the opposite direction, which Gyarados looks the most fierce? RG starts off good, but Blue/RB quickly upstages it with probably one of the best looking Gen I sprites. And with that said you can probably already guess which I'm picking, Yellow doesn't beat it as it did this coiling thing (it performing Twister?) with it.

• Lapras: They're all okay, but Blue/RB looks like the one I'd want to ride on. RG's shells are covered in sharper spikes and Yellow looks like it'll shake you off into the cold sea.

• Ditto: Blue/RB just looks the best, I'm surprised as I thought it would be Yellow but Ditto looks just sad.

• Eevee: Eevee is your Rival's Starter in Yellow so they made sure its sprite looked good.
  • Vaporeon, Jolteon & Flareon: However that doesn't mean the Eeveelution sprites are. Yeah, the Yellow ones look fine, but I think the original RG are the best. Now, I say this fully knowing Vaporeon is off-model, though you have to be looking closely to notice the mistakes (different head fin & fins on its legs). However it and the other Eeveelutions show off a confident and lively stance.

• Porygon: I think Blue/RB shows that even a polygonal creature can have a bad side, and for Porygon that's facing directly forward. But Yellow shows its kind of too flat to show purely in profile, so what's left is the RG default.

• Omanyte: Yellow is probably the better sprite, but Blue/RG's "whatcha talking about" pose is too good to pass up (plus it still looks plenty like Omanyte unlike RG).
  • Omastar: While I can get away with the "silly" sprite for Omanyte, I don't think I can with Omastar's Blue/RG's "here I am!" pose. So I'm going to go with Yellow on this one so you can take Lord Helix a bit seriously.

• Kabuto: Yellow is probably the best as it's an in-between of RG which only showed the bottom of Kabuto and Blue/RB which only shows the top.
  • Kabutops: The best Kabutops is the Kabutops skeleton, which fun fact there are two versions of: one based on RG and another based on Blue/RB (which was also used for Yellow even though they made a new Kabutops sprite). All sprites show it sort of in a stalking pose, and of those my favorite it Blue/RB as it's directly facing you giving it a bit of creepiness; but considering you just revived this creature which died out millions of years ago a bit of creepiness should be expected.

• Aerodactyl: RG defaults... and wins! Another situation where they try being different with the other sprites which end up making them not as representative of the Pokemon (which normally isn't a problem, they kind of make the sprites knowing they have the normal drawn stock art to show you what the Pokemon actually looks like, but I'm making my list assuming a kid is only playing the Gen I game and this is the first introduction to the creature so only one chance to leave an impression). Blue/RB shows Aerodactyl from above, missing out on all its underbelly and leg details, and Yellow is facing the wrong way (and Aerodacyl is most definitely a Pokemon that would face its opponent head-on).

• Snorlax: And to think, it'll take Snorlax another 16 or so years to finally get up. But for now we only have one big lazy boi. I was thinking that, since Snorlax is meant to be a roadblock the natural choice would be between RG or Yellow, but thinking about it Blue/RB makes a bit more sense as the only way to battle Snorlax is by waking it up. And while Snorlax may not have moved all that much I still imagine it at least getting onto its side to more readily attack/defend itself.

• Articuno: The most graceful of the Legendary Birds and all its sprites does portray this. The main difference if whether you like its tail in front or behind it and I think the tail works the best in front of it as that's its main feature, sorry Yellow (though I do like its Yellow sprite). So now it's a choice between it just being there or it giving out a roar. The choice is obvious: RG which is just being there. Why not Blue/RB which is roaring? Remember, we're going for graceful and what's more graceful? Sure it roaring is it showing its power but I think it just floating there with its tail flowing in front of it is a striking image itself and fitting for a Legendary.
  • Zapdos: It's there to awestruck, you may even say "shock" you. It's a "HERE I AM" sort of Pokemon and of its sprites I feel RG and Yellow fits that idea. Once again, I'm picking the RG sprite. Yellow isn't bad, but I feel a bit is lost with it slightly turned to the side while RG it's all there facing toward you, demanding your attention and admiration.
  • Moltres: We certainly have a lot of majestic Fire-types, and here's one more! Moltres was the toughest to pick as none of its sprites are exactly "majestic". RG comes the closest but this is one case where the size limit limited the effect it was trying to pull off. Blue/RB is it seen from above and you know how I feel about that from Aerodactyl. Last there's Yellow which is more accurate but, I don't know, is kind of feels like it's missing that striking pose. So with none matching my "majestic" criteria, how about I see which is the most "striking" pose. And with that I came to choosing Blue/RB. Sure, you don't see much of it, but then again it's a fire bird so do you need any more details on its appearance? And with that aside there's also it diving down at you which, it being a fire bird, I would call being a striking appearance.

• Dratini: Dratini's art got better as they did it so Yellow.
  • Dragonair: While Dratini is a small wyrm, Dragonair is a long serpent so Dragonair's sprite should show its length. Comparing how they show its length, in the end I feel RG shows it being the longest with it forming a one layer coil around itself.
  • Dragonite: The first Late Bloomer, as powerful as the Legendary birds, the highest level Pokemon to evolve, used as the ace of the penultimate boss who is presented as the last boss at first. It needs a strong sprite and Blue/RB is that sprite. RG looks too happy and Yellow doesn't give you that menacing feel. But Blue/RB is looking right down at you and your Pokemon and it's expression says it's ready to wreck your day.

• Mewtwo: The ultimate Pokemon has all good sprites, but which is the ultimate of the ultimate? Ultimately, I say Blue/RB. RG is default which is solely relying on its alien appearance. Yellow has it leaning slightly back with arms outstretched, as if saying "challenge me!". But Blue/RB truly shows what Mewtwo is: a monster. It's hunched over, arms drooping but not in a relaxed way, and it leaning forward with an intense glare. It's not there to stun or theatrics, it's there to fight. It was only made to fight. A mutant creature not meant to exist, but here it is looming over you, now fight.

• Mew: Now I get what everyone says about RG supposed to look odd and alien-like, like it's leaning in to observe you. But for me, I don't think it's supposed to look like an alien but rather something very primitive which connects us all: a fetus. Mew is the origin Pokemon after all, and if you look at the early stages of every animal (including human) fetus they all look similar to one another: this fleshy pink being with a fleshy pink cord connected to it. RG does resemble a fetus which often have big heads, but I want to make a case for Yellow. While not having as a large head, Yellow's pose is similar to the "fetal position" with its tail more placed in front of it like how the umbilical cord is connected to the fetus' stomach.

And we're done! It was quite fun looking through all the Gen I sprites and comparing them to one another. And what's surprising is that, even though one reason Blue/RB was made is because they wanted to make the sprites look better and Yellow's sprites are more based on the standard designs, the original RG still had plenty of good sprites. Sure not all of RG sprites are "winners", but the only reason the Blue sprites was made was because the games were successful and part of that had to do with the Pokemon design. Better sprites came along later as techniques and technology improved, but without the initial RG designs helping catch kids imaginations (before they probably saw drawn stock art) Pokemon may not have taken off.

p0ip0le

it's a billion lions
i have a lot of pokemon in mind but i lied i cant actually remember any of them so heres 2.

[snip drizzile and typhlosion]

gen6 is just bad. where's the activity in the pose? where's the dynamic expressions? where's the fire? this sprite is a trainwreck and im sure you can see why
made this post already gg

So now that I found this post...

This was retconned during Pokemon Gold and Silver's development. During the time of the Spaceworld '97 demo, Kakuna had a back sprite featuring the arms outstretched. This wasn't featured on the front sprite, though. It's funny this is mentioned since there's even Pokedex entries talking about this ability that have just been completely forgotten/ignored.
View attachment 267386View attachment 267387
Actually, the Kanto Pokémon in the Spaceworld '97 demo have backsprites that match with the Red/Blue front sprite, which is why Kakuna has its arms outstretched. There's a ROM Hack for Pokémon Red that replaces all backsprites with those from this demo, and you can see how neatly they fit.

It's not really proof of when Kakuna's arms were retconned (if they ever were).

Now, why they decided to use Red/Blue-style backsprites for Gold and Silver, when they were also making new frontsprites in the first place, is anyone's guess.

So now that I found this post...

Actually, the Kanto Pokémon in the Spaceworld '97 demo have backsprites that match with the Red/Blue front sprite, which is why Kakuna has its arms outstretched. There's a ROM Hack for Pokémon Red that replaces all backsprites with those from this demo, and you can see how neatly they fit.

It's not really proof of when Kakuna's arms were retconned (if they ever were).

Now, why they decided to use Red/Blue-style backsprites for Gold and Silver, when they were also making new frontsprites in the first place, is anyone's guess.
The common assumption is Blue's sprites were meant for Gold/Silver early on but Oops, Development later they repurposed them.

Noah the Pokémon god

Banned deucer.
I think that mew's gen one sprite was...(sorry for your eardrums)GOOD!And you know how people hate gen five fuck them

And also they had barely any technology to make good animation/sprite at the time

:fukyu:me I know but I like the simis (simisear,simipour and simisage)

Nothing to do with the topic but how do I post a picture of a Pokémon sprite

kabuto.png

This either looks like a pancake or a crab with no legs

:bulbasaur:i done it
You can also put in the abbreviations for game pairs to use full sprites, though it doesn't work for every pair.

: rb / bulbasaur :
:rb/bulbasaur:

: rs / bulbasaur :
:rs/bulbasaur:

: ss / bulbasaur :
:ss/bulbasaur:

Alternatively, you can go to Pokemon Showdown's sprite index and insert whatever sprite you want via insert image -> by url. Just keep in mind that a few Pokemon use custom models that are not representative of the actual game (this also applies to the models used in the :ss/: method)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)