Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

aXl I did a few touch up and I'm sure you'll want to do a few more. Emphasize a clean zipper and full lines, follow the regular Banette for some of this. See how you can make the sprite as a whole clearer.
So I said I'd post this up before bed and I don't plan on making a fool of myself today so yeah

Mega Banette Front or whatever have a great song

Mainly just tweaked the lines, made the zippers more distinct, and fixed some issues I noticed in a few places now that I have the in-game model in front of me (like the pointy tips of the mouth). Another primary edit I made was changing the purple to a more maroon shade, as it wasn't red enough as it stands.

Backsprite ETA is tomorrow. I need sleep in the mean time. Also, working on prelim. sketches of Aurorus, might have the frontsprite's base art done for tomorrow so I can put it up for getting nitpicked. I'll see how you guys like my sketches then as I haven't publicly displayed any of them yet here oddly enough. Goodnight all.

Sláinte.

oh yeah, and seleccion , Froakie looks great. I'd consider having a bit of the other hand show up in the backsprite's rare animation. It'd help to clue in the user to Froakie getting serious, and would be an easy way to add character to the backsprite while drawing further similarities to Frogadier upon evolution. Aside from that, looks great and good job. +)

Last edited:

Sorta did a QC for phantump. I'mma start animating this, since it seems relatively simple. I no longer have the time to animate or sprite much. If there is a deadline for February, this is probably my last animation I'll be doing. So.. I think you should cancel my name off fletchinder.

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Some comments on some stuff.

Since Zygarde's official artwork is availible now, I'm finding myself increasingly dissatisfied with how the sprite looks. To start with the minor issues, the head is too flat (should be taller) and the eyes are too close together. Also, the five head thingies and the six tentacle thingies aren't really properly proportioned to how they should look. As for the more major things, it's definitely leaning too far forward. Leaning slightly backward accomplishes two things: makes it more Z shaped, and lets it balance its weight on the long length of tail trailing behind it. I don't really understand how it's leaning so far forward and staying up. In addition, I think that it wouldn't hurt to make a greater portion of it resting on the ground, AKA height shorter but length longer. It would better match the official artwork (though perhaps not the in-game model), and help with the balance issues as previously mentioned. I may give these changes a shot myself.

The new Florges animation is ok. I'll admit that it was a sprite that I was tempted to animate, but I decided against it due to having no sense whatsoever as to how it works anatomically. While I'm not certain, part of that being that I don't think it be quite so anchored to the ground, and it floats very slightly. But that's a subtle change that I wouldn't even call mandatory. Also, while it may be an illusion due to being posted right next to a flawlessly smooth animation in Klefki, it seems rather rough and jerky. Either adding more frames or lowering amount of motion should alleviate that.

I've already expressed my opinions on a new Mega Aerodactyl sprite thoroughly, but I feel the need to bring up a point that may not have previously mentioned. I simply can't rationalize in my mind any form of winged bird-thing with its body facing to the right while its head faces to the left, flapping its wings as if it's flying in that direction. Nothing about it makes sense. Is it supposed to be flying to the right while inertia yanks its head backwards? Whenever I imagine that pose in 3D, everything about it seems off. Seriously, picture the XY Aerodactyl 3D model with its body facing sideways and its neck bent all the way around. Why would it be trying to fly like that? It'll probably crash into a tree or something.

"But the RSE sprite has that pose AND an animation!" Sorry, but there's a really big difference between a full looping animation and temporary flipping between two different frames. The high speed and short duration makes the weirdness far less of an issue. While it's definitely a well-made a static sprite, I don't see it working well animated. Putting aside factors such as quality and difficulty involved, the pose just doesn't make sense anatomically.

Anyways, it looks like Mega Scizor's animation is going to be my next job (except possibly the Zygarde QC). But with midterms going on, it could end up being a while before that gets done. I look forward to it greatly, I've already mentally planned out exactly how the motions will go.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
yeaa... even when I posted it, I wasnt 100% happy with it either. Definitely have to add a couple more frames and noticed I accidentally made the back leaves move backwards compared to the front. As for her feet, Since she was a "flower", I assumed she would have an animation with her feet ancored to the ground but guess I can make them move slightly on certain frames like liligant does.

I was actually somewhat using her as a slight reference for florges since she was the closest pokemon to florges imo. So anyway, I'll fix her up along with editing klefki's ring in the back animation to not swing so far.

About areo, I could see how that might look weird but it doesnt seem like anyone is really happy with its current sprite (even though its detail is great). Idk. Maybe if you adjust your areo's pose a bit just so it can look different enough to not look like a regular areo sprite + rocks on its body. Is a pose like archeops possible?

btw, with school starting back up, my progress will be slower but I can still (hopefully) animate things at a decent rate so its all good.
and that small change to sylveon's face made it look much better!

Last edited:

Sorta did a QC for phantump. I'mma start animating this, since it seems relatively simple. I no longer have the time to animate or sprite much. If there is a deadline for February, this is probably my last animation I'll be doing. So.. I think you should cancel my name off fletchinder.
Not QC, but feel like that head should be a slight darker shade of brown, see:

And the eyes need to be a tad pinker. Plus, the lower body doesn't flow smoothly, it looks a bit awkward. I'd attempt to fix this, but I don't have MS Paint and I have yet to find a Mac alternative.

Now that I'm more awake, let's actually reply to some more stuff.

Siiilver What're you on about, man? You still did over half of the animation on Fletchling as far as I can remember, so your name will definitely stay on the chart. Even if someone else has to finish your work, you still worked on it. Also, I don't remember hearing anything about a February deadline, so don't worry about it, man. As for Phantump, I'd try seeing how his eyes look if you stretched them down by one pixel, as his eyes seem too circular in comparison to the in-game. Other than that, maybe consider making his arms a bit bigger, as currently they're pretty indistinct from the rest of his body. Sorry to hear that school is going to be killing your hours though. Believe me, I know what that feels like unfortunately.

Legitimate Username Good point in regards to Mega Aero's posing. Granted, I never imagined mega Aero being the smartest pteradon, so I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch that it wouldn't be looking where its going, but I agree that it probably should be facing forward. Aside from that, if you need any help with Zygarde, I'd be willing to pitch in for it. Meanwhile I'll just be over here with my fingers crossed that the Mega Scizor animation you're thinking of includes a claw-snap rare animation. I know it'll look great whatever you decide to do, so best of luck with that man. +)

seleccion I have no idea if PS! uses animated mini-sprites tbh. If it does, maybe we could tackle those as a last-call sort of thing. Not a bad thought though.

Chesnaught If you're looking for a good Mac OS MS Paint alternative, I used to use Seashore back around '09-10, and it seems to have improved in the mean time. Alternatively, due to my school's insistence on blocking all downloadable content on our school-issued Macbooks, you could always use this app through Chrome extensions. Yeah, I have been using this to sprite with while at school just because I have no better options that are free. My life sucks. There are much better options if you want to dole out a few dollars I'm sure, but I'm that kind of idiot that's willing to buy an iPhone but not any apps for it so yeah.

Speaking of shitty awkward to use paint programs...

Mega Banette Act 2
Old:

New:

Basically just finished doing the edits I did to the front and applied them to the back. If anyone can think of anything that still needs fixing, just give me a heads-up and I'll get to it posthaste.

Anyway, Sláinte.

Ok, quick attempt at fixing it:
Old:
-> New:

I haven't sprited in a while though, go easy on me haha.

EDIT:
Also, later, I'm going to attempt to make a Shiny Greninja from these:

Last edited:
Ok, quick attempt at fixing it:
Old:
-> New:

I haven't sprited in a while though, go easy on me haha.

EDIT:
Also, later, I'm going to attempt to make a Shiny Greninja from these:

You, uh, are aware I have like five different shiny greninja palettes I was waiting to debut until the sprite was ready for shiny/animation?

You, uh, are aware I have like five different shiny greninja palettes I was waiting to debut until the sprite was ready for shiny/animation?
I was not, sorry then. I'll maybe do Shiny Goodra / Noivern unless someone else has.

I also can't animate for the life of me, I'm sorry.

I'm taking Phantump off animation approval, for now. I feel that the new changes made to it haven't been executed well, although the logic behind the edits make sense, as in the tail probably could be wispier, just not like that. I'll improve on/address the edits myself at a later time.

Legitimate Username I agree with your points about Zygarde, and I've been meaning to address the sprites as well since the last batch of edits were posted.

I'll comment on the animations for Klefki and Florges later.

Wobblebuns I agree with aXl's comments on the spiky hands. There are too many pink/purple shades, and this possibly applies to the body as well. Had I commented on this earlier, I would've asked you to make a matching back, but I'm glad that you beat me to it. The shading in the center of the back looks weird, so I'd probably replace it with actual spikes or just remove it altogether.

I have a high workload this semester, and I'm also going through some personal struggles, meaning that I'm short on time for spriting compared to before. Ideally, I'd like to provide one sprite update per week; however, I'm not sure if I could even do that. I'll still be around to comment on things.

The sprite is finished, and syncronyzed, but i don't know why they jump in different time when i post it:

if you use a program like aesprite or photoshop (movement option), you could see that both sprite has the same rate and the same number of frames.

PD: The spriter that want to animate fletchinder, this images can help him:

The sprite is finished, and syncronyzed, but i don't know why they jump in different time when i post it:

if you use a program like aesprite or photoshop (movement option), you could see that both sprite has the same rate and the same number of frames.
They seem to jump in time to me - that's a very classy effort, well done :) just possibly wondering if the second arm would be visible on the backsprite (even if only a little bit). Keep it up!

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think it would be and it might be odd for just a piece for it to show.

seleccion your dedication to making back animations is one to be applauded, I never thought anyone would be crazy enough to copy animations to the letter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)