XY OU Analysis Reservation Index - READ CAREFULLY (MAKING A NEW THREAD)

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'll take Seismitoad.

For people who are interested in contributing, you don't always have to write or reserve analyses to contribute! There are lots of things you can do instead. Offer suggestions to improve existing analyses. Test out the sets that people have written and report back with your findings. Provide calculations to support one point over another in a discussion. It may seem small, but remember that writing analyses is truly a group effort. If you know the Pokemon in question well, even if you're not the one writing the analysis, you can have just as big an impact as the author will. I'm not saying that you should go out and post as much as you can about every theoretical set that a Pokemon can have, but you shouldn't be held back by the fact that you're not the one actually writing the analysis. If you have something worthwhile to contribute, by all means, please make yourself heard. Reserving analyses is not the most important thing you can do.

Last edited:
Since ut doesnt seem like Weezing is getting an analasys i was wondering if there are any viable pokemon left to write an analasys about

Edit: im always late for this things

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
For people who want to write analyses and keep suggesting random Pokemon, here's some food for thought: Do you truly believe in your heart that the Pokémon you are suggesting deserves an analysis? Have you battled with it for weeks, even months on Showdown, know everything about it, are fully aware of its strengths and weaknesses, and know exactly how to use it?

Or, are you just desperate to write an analysis?

There's nothing wrong with wanting to help, but randomly suggesting Pokemon wastes time for the staff tbh, and doesn't help your reputation on Smogon. Like CyclicCompound said, writing analyses is not the only thing you can do to contribute. If your favorite Pokemon that you really, really wanted to do is already reserved, go to the analysis and help out! Make suggestions on how to make the analysis better. If everyone wrote analyses and nobody came along to fix them up, make suggestions, etc., this forum would be in a terrible mess right now.

Do your research before you suggest a Pokemon. Battle and experiment with the Pokémon, get to know the ins and outs of it. As I said before, there's nothing wrong with trying to help-we strongly encourage it here on Smogon-but please, think of why you want to reserve that Pokemon. If it's just that you want to contribute, battle with the Pokémon for a while, then decide truthfully decide whether or not the Pokemon deserves an analysis. If you do, make a constructive argument (which includes pros AND cons) on why you think it deserves an analysis. If you made a good argument and did your research, chances are you'll get to write up an analysis for the Pokémon.

Hey, I'll just post this in this thread, I guess. The user who originally posted about Seismitoad, SomePumpkinPie did a very good job of presenting it and giving a good argument, sounding knowledgeable, pointing out its flaws but why it was still viable despite that - full post here. CyclicCompound, if you don't mind, I'd like for that user to write the analysis if he's still interested, which I would assume he is since he's active and made that proposal for it. I was impressed by his argument, and it's always good to get new users involved in analysis writing, I think he'll do a good job.

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I'll just post this in this thread, I guess. The user who originally posted about Seismitoad, SomePumpkinPie did a very good job of presenting it and giving a good argument, sounding knowledgeable, pointing out its flaws but why it was still viable despite that - full post here. CyclicCompound, if you don't mind, I'd like for that user to write the analysis if he's still interested, which I would assume he is since he's active and made that proposal for it. I was impressed by his argument, and it's always good to get new users involved in analysis writing, I think he'll do a good job.
That sounds absolutely fine, thanks for bringing that up! SomePumpkinPie, you have my full blessing.

My apologies for not posting the skeleton in the first two days. I'm a competitive player in another game and I was busy with that one, so I just forgot to do the skeleton for Toxicroak, but I have much time now. I'll get on making the skeleton ASAP

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I just wanna say something about Weezing: it was loads more viable when Genesect and Mega Lucario were running rampant. It wasn't even great in that meta, but it held a decent niche in dealing with these Pokemon rather well. It's terrible in this meta given the lack of these threats.

I'm going to be busy irl for a few days, but I can write Venusuar on Wednesday. If someone else wants to do it before then, by all means, but otherwise, I'll have it up then.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Okay, now I know Hitmontop was already rejected earlier when I tried to prove its usefulness in the OU tier, but I did some calculations with what a situation would look like if Aegislash were to come in to Hitmontop. Here is how the situation would look like: 252+ Atk Hitmontop Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 136-162 (41.9 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery. Aegislash is already hurt from the Earthquake. Now lets say Aegislash used Sacred Sword. Hitmontop is faster, so it uses another Earthquake. Aegislash uses Sacred Sword. 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hitmontop: 125-148 (41.1 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery. After this, Shadow Sneak won't kill and Hitmontop just got rid of the opposing team's spin blocker. Now lets say Hitmontop switched in to Aegislash. -1 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hitmontop: 84-99 (27.6 - 32.5%) -- 71.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery. Now lets say Aegislash tries boosting up with Swords Dance. Hitmontop uses Earthquake that turn (same calculations as above). Now Hitmontop has about 82% health after leftovers recovery. Hitmontop lands another Earthquake and Aegislash uses Sacred Sword. +1 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hitmontop: 187-221 (61.5 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery. Hitmontop now, being faster, uses Sucker Punch. Aegislash still loses. I think Hitmontop can still be a contender for OU based on the calculations and scenarios done above. Plus, the biggest reason Hitmontop was rejected was because of Aegislash being very common, right? To add an additional scenario, let's say Hitmontop uses Foresight when Aegislash comes in. At this point, it's really just mind games. The Aegislash can King's Shield predicting the Close Combat or boost up with Swords Dance predicting them to predict the Aegislash to use King's Shield. Hitmontop isn't the only pokemon that will be stuck in this scenario, though. Conkeldurr is easy stuck playing mind games with Aegislash. I do realize Excadrill is out there and prominent in OU, but one thing Hitmontop can do that Excadrill can't is go out against Aegislash. One timely Sacred Sword and Excadrill is easily taken down. Another advantage that Hitmontop has is the Intimidate ability, which will lengthen Hitmontop's longevity against the immediate opposing pokemon. If there is something I'm missing about Hitmontop's potential unviability, then please tell me. Again, I do realize that Hitmontop was already rejected when I tried to make a point towards its viability in OU earlier, but I decided to give it another shot.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
If you're adamant about Hitmontop's viability, come up with a set for it, make a team with it, and play some games.

If you can produce some quality replays of Hitmontop performing well in OU then you stand a chance of convincing QC members for acceptance, so get to that.

Also Chesnaught's writer is giving it up on account of inactivity, so that will be available soon enough. If you're interested in this analysis please read the entire thread so you're familiar with what the consensus is on the best set.

Okay, now I know Hitmontop was already rejected earlier when I tried to prove its usefulness in the OU tier, but I did some calculations with what a situation would look like if Aegislash were to come in to Hitmontop. Here is how the situation would look like: 252+ Atk Hitmontop Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 136-162 (41.9 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery. Aegislash is already hurt from the Earthquake. Now lets say Aegislash used Sacred Sword. Hitmontop is faster, so it uses another Earthquake. Aegislash uses Sacred Sword. 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hitmontop: 125-148 (41.1 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery. After this, Shadow Sneak won't kill and Hitmontop just got rid of the opposing team's spin blocker. Now lets say Hitmontop switched in to Aegislash. -1 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hitmontop: 84-99 (27.6 - 32.5%) -- 71.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery. Now lets say Aegislash tries boosting up with Swords Dance. Hitmontop uses Earthquake that turn (same calculations as above). Now Hitmontop has about 82% health after leftovers recovery. Hitmontop lands another Earthquake and Aegislash uses Sacred Sword. +1 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hitmontop: 187-221 (61.5 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery. Hitmontop now, being faster, uses Sucker Punch. Aegislash still loses. I think Hitmontop can still be a contender for OU based on the calculations and scenarios done above. Plus, the biggest reason Hitmontop was rejected was because of Aegislash being very common, right? To add an additional scenario, let's say Hitmontop uses Foresight when Aegislash comes in. At this point, it's really just mind games. The Aegislash can King's Shield predicting the Close Combat or boost up with Swords Dance predicting them to predict the Aegislash to use King's Shield. Hitmontop isn't the only pokemon that will be stuck in this scenario, though. Conkeldurr is easy stuck playing mind games with Aegislash. I do realize Excadrill is out there and prominent in OU, but one thing Hitmontop can do that Excadrill can't is go out against Aegislash. One timely Sacred Sword and Excadrill is easily taken down. Another advantage that Hitmontop has is the Intimidate ability, which will lengthen Hitmontop's longevity against the immediate opposing pokemon. If there is something I'm missing about Hitmontop's potential unviability, then please tell me. Again, I do realize that Hitmontop was already rejected when I tried to make a point towards its viability in OU earlier, but I decided to give it another shot.
1. This implies Adamant max Attack Hitmontop, which is irrelevant.
2. Excadrill deals with Aegislash much better 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 260-308 (80.2 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
3. Physical Aegislash is irrelevant now-adays, Special is the only real set now. If it's not Assault Vest, Top is getting 2HKO'd assuming Hitmontop is running your spread 252+ SpA Spooky Plate Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hitmontop: 177-208 (58.2 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
With Assault Vest, it's still taking a good amount of damage 252+ SpA Spooky Plate Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Hitmontop: 118-139 (38.8 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
If's Leftovers, it can just stall with King's Shield to build Leftovers until it can wear Hitmontop down.

All in all, though, I noticed you said "but one thing Hitmontop can do that Excadrill can't is go out against Aegislash." Which is simply not true. IMO you still have yet to prove to me why I'd ever want to use this thing over Excadrill, who is move powerful and has a much better defensive typing. Not only that, but even if this thing does end up beating Aegislash, it still ends up heavily weakened to the point where it can't even do its main job, which is Spin away hazards.

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, let's look at one important thing you're missing from your calculations. Aegislash will, in most situations, be spamming Shadow Ball, not Sacred Sword. You seem to be using calculations from a 252 HP / 252 Atk Aegislash, which is NOT at all a good representation of Aegislash. The calculation here is much more important:

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hitmontop: 147-174 (48.3 - 57.2%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

That's really not something I want to be switching into Aegislash, and if said Aegislash has King's Shield, you can basically kiss your Aegislash answer goodbye.

Anyways, on to my point, that was just something I wanted to correct. Hitmontop is not necessarily bad because it is a bad spinner. As far as spinning reliability goes, Hitmontop is actually pretty high up there. It's definitely a challenge to stop a Hitmontop from getting a spin off against someone who really, really needs that spin.

However, Hitmontop is bad because it doesn't really do anything other than spin. It has a paltry base 95 Attack stat that is overshadowed by every other attacker in the tier. Intimidate is actually a negative sometimes, as it lets Bisharp steal a free +1 boost should you attempt to counter it with Hitmontop. A whole host of Pokemon can set up on Hitmontop in a variety of ways because Hitmontop is simply not a threatening presence. Although it's bulky, you either invest in attack and find yourself with a mediocre bulky attacker or invest in defenses and find yourself with the most recovery-less, helpless wall you could run. Before you ask, I tested out Hitmontop a while ago and was thoroughly unimpressed. Even if you do manage to get rid of hazards, you're still a free switch-in to nearly every other Pokemon in the tier. Unlike other OU or even some UU Defoggers or Spinners, which are all either viable walls or Pokemon with a strong and useful offensive presence, you're again simply stuck with a mediocre Fighting-type with literally nothing notable to offer.

Like Ash Borer said, some replays would be nice, and might help convince me a little bit more towards your cause. But for now I'm leaning towards a firm rejection.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
seeing as Chesnaught is up for grabs again I will test it a little, but i didn't know that it had even got an analysis, and at the moment i would seriously question its viability (although that may change once I have tested it a little more) as it is outclassed as an offensive pokemon with its typing by Breloom and defensively by Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur who either have better typing, stats or abilities as:
  • ferrothorn has spiky shield's secondary effect on all contact moves that hit it without needing to predict. It also has far better typing defensively, resisting everything Chesnaught resists barring Dark and Ground (which, for the record, it eats up). It also gets Spikes like Chesnaught does, but also adds Stealth Rocks into the mix.
  • mega venusaur has thick fat to remove 2 of its biggest weaknesses while having a more useful resistances in Fighting and Fairy (as opposed to Chesnaughts Rock, Ground and Dark which, while there are more, only one is too common an attacking type as Rock is generally only used with either STAB (1 common user), Ground-type moves or Fighting-type moves wheras dark is a fairly bad attacking type outside of Knock Off, the only real common users of moves not called Knock Off being Bisharp and Tyranitar due to STAB, the former of which still does use Knock Off, although generally playing Sucker Punch mind games - not that either would stay in on Chesnaught in the first place. Add to the fact that the dark resistance is nullified further by Chesnaught's hate of having its Leftovers knocked off and you get a null resistance.
  • breloom has technician, poison heal, spore and a host of other more useful moves.
  • All three of these are better users of Leech Seed.
I could go on, but i will test more first.

Well, Chesnaught is certainly not outclassed in its role as a physical pivot by either M-Venusaur or Ferrothorn, as he sports a higher physical bulk than either of those. Although you are right, Chesnaught should never be used as an offensive Pokemon unless you run Belly Drum. It's true that it's Chesnaught's typing that really is the let down, as Grass/Fighting creates just too many weaknesses. However, as you said yourself, it also creates resistance to the infamous EdgeQuake coverage, and that can be very helpful on some defensive teams. Also, Chesnaught is a complete stop to Bisharp, as he can stomach a +2 Iron Head and retaliate with Hammer Arm. Losing Leftovers to Knock Off isn't that bad as you have good options for recovery in Leech Seed and Synthesis. Overall, Chesnaught is a good option to take on any physical attacker that generally doesn't run super effective coverage on it, such as Terrakion, M-Scizor and Scarf Excadrill. The reason Ferrothorn and M-Venu are OU and Chesnaught is not is that they have a tad better defensive typing, and they can in addition take some special hits, whereas Chesnaught really can take none. Ferrothorn and Chesnaught are fairly similar, but due to their different typings they create different team structure, and on some teams a physical pivot with Leech Seed and Spikes needs to have the defensive qualities of Chesnaught, as opposed to the more orthodox choice in Ferrothorn.

Just a few things on the index

Venusaur was taken over by i1338
Togekiss was taken over by Ash Borer
Gorebyss was taken over by CyclicCompound
Hippowdon is now up
Seismitoad is now up

It's also now been 96 hours since s_aman took over Mew and nothing is up yet

Just a few things on the index

Venusaur was taken over by i1338
Togekiss was taken over by Ash Borer
Gorebyss was taken over by CyclicCompound
Hippowdon is now up
Seismitoad is now up

It's also now been 96 hours since s_aman took over Mew and nothing is up yet
Mew is up. It got lost to the second page as i was out of station and could not work on it. Today, i got access to my computer and i first finished writing up hippowdon. So, from tomorrow on its mew's turn.

Mew is up. It got lost to the second page as i was out of station and could not work on it. Today, i got access to my computer and i first finished writing up hippowdon. So, from tomorrow on its mew's turn.
Oh wow I even commented on it before .-.
That was a pretty stupid mental lapse

I revealed Colonel M's master plan, TRC it's your turn.

TRC. is currently doing four analyses; Klefki, Whimsicott, Gothitelle, and Exploud Strange choices, TRC.

Also, for some reason, TRC. appears to be the one doing my Shuckle analysis that I stole from Colonel M, everybody wants dat Shuckle.

This could mean war would mean that TRC. actually has 5 analyses according the reservation index (it doesn't show Klefki atm, but you'll find it if you search the forum). Like I said with C_M, if QC approves of TRC. handling 4/5 analyses, it's fine. Otherwise idk, TRC. may have to give up an analysis, however with the enormous amount of analyses TRC. has done, I think he is more than capable of handling 4.
Edit: nvm, 2 of your analyses are in the GP stage, so I think it's fine.
I am OU C&C's official tattletale.
It is acceptable to do more than the normal limit on the number of analyses if you get permission from a C&C moderator (or maybe just a QC member, idk). For example, Fuzznip gave me permission to do Staraptor while the two analyses I was doing were waiting on skeleton checks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)