CAP 4 CAP 4 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm liking Persistent and Vital spirit.

Persistent is just good and Vital Spirit gives him three status immunities.

Whatever. I also like the idea of Vital Spirit, but I think it might make it a bit overpowered if it also receives an excellent movepool. Actually ... if this thing has Vital Spirit and it uses Rest ... what happens?
It won't work. I was gonna say that Vital Spirit may be too good of an ability, because of the fact it can't rest (which will probably be its only form of recovery), it'll probably be fine.

vital spirit doesn't fit it, you need somethin that fits it, vital spirit fits an energetic monkey (Vigoroth) but not a drill head with lots of hands
Still Persistant and Poison Point is what i'm going for

vital spirit doesn't fit it, you need somethin that fits it, vital spirit fits an energetic monkey (Vigoroth) but not a drill head with lots of hands
Still Persistant and Poison Point is what i'm going for
You realize Delibird gets Vital Spirit, right?

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Can we please stop with these stupid "doesn't fit it" comments? ._.

They are all so incredibly stupid I don't even know where to start when judging them.

Anyway, why doesn't Vital Spirit fit this? You mention energetic...well why can't a little bouncy ball thingy with a multitude of hands be really energetic? Huh? huh? huh?

God I hate these comments...they seriously detract from the project so much. Something REALLY has to be off kilter for you to actually waste my time with this "doesn't fit it" nonsense.

Like giving this thing Thick Fat. That I can understand being nonsensical. Vital Spirit...how the flying fu...well you get the point.

Something REALLY has to be off kilter for you to actually waste my time with this "doesn't fit it" nonsense.
Like Daddy Long Legs with Levitate? Well actually that's not so far out there if you believe that area in which it's arms are placed rotate independent from it's body. Think of it like this: He stretches it's arm out, do a turbo-charged rapid spin, and take off. Not only will it explain how it can levitate, but will also explain how it uses Tailwind and Rapid Spin.

Note: I'm not suggesting we give it Levitate, I'm merely using the idea as a springboard onto how it does Rapid Spin/Tailwind.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Like Daddy Long Legs with Levitate? Well actually that's not so far out there if you believe that area in which it's arms are placed rotate independent from it's body. Think of it like this: He stretches it's arm out, do a turbo-charged rapid spin, and take off. Not only will it explain how it can levitate, but will also explain how it uses Tailwind and Rapid Spin.

Note: I'm not suggesting we give it Levitate, I'm merely using the idea as a springboard onto how it does Rapid Spin/Tailwind.
To take off on that concept a bit, it could hold out it's arms and flap to use Tailwind, like everyone used to try as a kid.

To take off on that concept a bit, it could hold out it's arms and flap to use Tailwind, like everyone used to try as a kid.
That would work too. We could say that it could use either method to get the job done.

DLL: I believe I can fly :D
*flap at least six of his arm around. In that instant a gust of wind blown behind him and he soon started to fly*
Trainer: Holy Crap....you can fly??? 0:

Now that the art is decided, here are the abilities that could possibly fit, imo:
  • Anticipation
  • Forewarn
  • Frisk
  • Hustle
  • Inner Focus
  • Insomnia
  • Iron Fist
  • Klutz
  • Lightning Rod
  • Pickup
  • Poison Point
  • Quick Feet
  • Run Away
  • Skill Link
  • Steadfast
  • Tangled Feet
  • Vital Spirit
These are all I can really see it being able to use. A few of them, like Iron Fist, don't mesh with the concept at all and shouldn't even be considered. Others, such as Poison Point, are just so stupid that they shouldn't be considered. Come on, do we really need all three Poison / Ground Pokemon to have that ability?

If we gave it Persistant, or whatever people are calling that "new" ability is being called, it needs some sort of alternate strategy ability for it's second one. If, for example, you just wanted to use this guy to Haze / Encore / Wish / something else not covered by Persistant, then you'd want to have some sort of usable skill. That's where something like Insomnia or Klutz comes in. Klutz only if this thing gets Trick, obviously.

The other skills are ones I'd like to see it get if we decide to keep it toned down by giving it two mediocre abilities. For example, Forewarn and Frisk. Neither are really that good, and neither will do much of anything. However, they fit the flavor of the art (Spider-sense and grope-machine).

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
That would work too. We could say that it could use either method to get the job done.

DLL: I believe I can fly :D
*flap at least six of his arm around. In that instant a gust of wind blown behind him and he soon started to fly*
Trainer: Holy Crap....you can fly??? 0:
I didn't even realize my pun until now, but yeah thats what I was thinking. In that vein it could get Fly =P

I heartily endorse Klutz, Trick is such a woefully underused strategy and only the crappy Lopunny has it. Plus its got 8 hands moving faster than garchomp, sounds a litte awkward to me. :P

I'm also against giving it offensive abilities. That just isn't its purpose.

But it works both ways. Can you see a standard attack breaking through eight arms worth of defense with the utmost of ease?

atryoki, i gotta go with dane one this one.
i can't see a giant spider with 8 arms not being defensive.
that sparks an ability idea, now i know a lot of you are against the whole making a new ability idea, but this ability isnt too broken, and IMO, fits daddy long legs.

Quick reaction/heavy guard/???: this pokemon has a 20%~ to not take damage from an attack.

the point of it is that because this pokemon has 8 arms, it can guard hits really easily. the percentage only lets you avoid a hit 1/5 times, and if they use a status which you aren't immune to, it would still affect you. if they hit you with an attack like dynamic punch, you would still become confused. it isnt broken.

Tell me what you guys think, or give me some questions/suggestions

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not only is it pretty broken, (a chance to negate ALL damage for a turn? Are you serious that's not broken?)

But it's luck based... I hate luck based abilities.

Quick Reaction sounds more like he evaded the move while Heavy Guard sounds like his defenses are too tough to break through. Either way you look at them, they're pretty broken and luck based. It's been mention that luck based abilities are bad here on Smogon.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
But it works both ways. Can you see a standard attack breaking through eight arms worth of defense with the utmost of ease?
No Guard is more about attitude than appearance. Machamp has 4 arms of protection, if you recall.

Anyway, if Persistant is there, why not Unaware. It doesn't technically get rid of status changes, but it does prevent you from switching this in on DDMence only to be slaughtered before you can Haze. No other ability will afford this that luxury, and in the meantime, any of its non-screen stat-boosts become pointless.

Anyway, if Persistant is there, why not Unaware. It doesn't technically get rid of status changes, but it does prevent you from switching this in on DDMence only to be slaughtered before you can Haze. No other ability will afford this that luxury, and in the meantime, any of its non-screen stat-boosts become pointless.
I like this. I forgot unaware affected the enemy too. For some reason I thought it only affected your stats. I support this.

it only negates the damage from an attack, and it only happens 1/5 times.
hm, maybe 1/6?
bah, lets just forget about that one.

now, im sure everyone LOVES safe switch ins, so how about a renewed ability?
now, this one is somewhat luckbased, but that is only to lessen the effectiveness (i don't want it to be broken..)
Name: quick(??) entrance/???
effect: When This pokemon switches in, your opponets attack has a 50% chance to miss.
Details: Daddy long legs switches in and is immediately on the move to make sure he doesn't get hit. this attack SOMETIMES allows a safe switch in, but will be punished if used often, due to predictability.

Please, i really want to make this ability viable, so please give me some suggestions to making it better/not luck based.
also, name ideas?

I like unaware too because with a utility pokemon it can do such delightfully mean things to setups. Oh speed boosting with DD or Agility? Well lets just turn on trick room and make you the slowest pokemon around.

Wittled your life away for a belly drum or berry sweep, well lets just take normal damage and inflict a status to finish ya off.

Thinking of sleeping off damage after all that cursing or calm minds? Well here is haze and now your just a sleeping target.

People complain about Sand Veil : 20%
People complain about Bright Powder : 10%

So basically, anything at or more than 10% will get complaints due to luck. Honestly, luck based moves and abilities aren't things that most see as competitively viable.

I like unaware too because with a utility pokemon it can do such delightfully mean things to setups. Oh speed boosting with DD or Agility? Well lets just turn on trick room and make you the slowest pokemon around.
Unaware doesn't affect speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)