Pokemon Platinum - The definitive thread: Mach 3 (Competitive Discussion)

I am just happy azumarill gets superpower+Ice punch.

Testing more as we speak.
I'm just annoyed there's no Belly Drum tutor.

Speaking of Floatzel:

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 Sp. Atk / 176 Spd
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Brick Break / Aqua Jet

Could work.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm a little heartbroken to see that Weavile didn't learn Superpower as he would really have appreciated some decent BP.

In fact, Weavile gained nothing of note; he can't even learn Ice Punch via tutor for some reason. Poor little guy.

EDIT: Actually, it seems as though Sneasel can learn Ice Punch via tutor so I'll just have to assume it's a mistake on the Weavile section.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
That is annoying about weavile. Not even sucker punch?
Just because I love your avatar...

Tutor page said:
Weavile: Mud Slap, Snore, Spite, Swift, Fury Cutter, Icy Wind, Knock Off

Sneasel = Ice Punch, Fury Cutter, Knock Off, Snore, Spite, Swift, Mud Slap
Nothing. :(

Wondering what you guys this of this set..

Drifblim
Calm
(I think either ability would work good)
Leftovers
28 HP / 230 Def / 252 SpDef
-Icy Wind
-Destiny Bond
-Thunderwave / Will-o-Wisp / Knock Off
-Thunderwave / Will-o-Wisp / Knock Off

(Theorymonning) Who said Annoyers are dead? Bring her in on something that is either going to switch out, or wont do significant damage, Icy Wind on their switch out, then proceed with whichever of the 2 annoying moves you choose, Destiny Bond is kinda a final resort type thing for when Driffy is rather low on Health.

Trick could be an option, give her Choice Scarf and use it on something you know is carrying leftovers.

EVS: HP is to hit a even Leftovers number (28 per turn), then i put the rest into the defenses sto lower percent of damage taken. Doesnt need speed because it still hits 196, which if iirc, will outspeed most anything that isnt boosted after they take an Icy Wind so that you can status or Destiny Bond to your hearts content..

as a side note, Salamence that isnt too bulky is 2HKOd, as is Non bulky Dragonites with SR out.

Please note that its 1 in the morning, and I was pondering this throughout the day at work so it isnt perfect, just a rough draft =)

no t-tar sucker punch? man that would be like the greatest thing it could ever to gengar pursuit rapes it and if it attacks it dies anyways

Base 120 Priority move...seriously? I would hope that EVEN Gamefreak wouldn't be that stupid, although you never know these days, what with Skymin and all. O_O

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@Tortured Soul >.> Honchkrow, with its monstrous base attack (albeit not as monstrous as ttar), has had the exact same 120 base power priority move since the start, and has it ever lead to anything? Granted TTar's overall capabilities are above and beyond honchkrow, even if ttar got sucker punch we would not be talking about a level of speed and power foreign to the current OU.

Understood, I did go a little too far, but can you imagine the additional leading capabilities? Gone would be the ScarfGar leads if prediction was decent, along with other threats. You said so yourself, Honchkrow HAS had access since DP, but it's base stats can't rival that of Tyranitar.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think Honchkrow has the potential to make a decent lead in itself, with the combo of Pursuit/Sucker Punch off of 383 attack, and Superpower and Heat Wave to take care of anything that might try to wall it. Not to mention Insomnia.

SD Celebi anyone?
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Zen Headbutt
- filler

I'm excited, even if Celebi will be absolutely destroyed by all the Signal Beam users, I doubt many people will be carrying Signal Beam unless solely for Celebi and other psychics.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nidos can now have Rivalry and Punches.

Note: Metalkids doesn't seem to know what to do with Rivalry, so I took the calcs I got and modified them with x1.25. (Except Bronzong which is neutral)

Nidoking @ Choice Band
Ability: Rivalry
Nature: Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
~ Earthquake
~ Megahorn
~ Ice Punch/Fire Punch
~ Thunderpunch/Fire Punch

Thunderpunch to BulkyGyarados: 126-147%. (85-100% after Intimidate)

Ice Punch to 252/252 +Def Gliscor: 85-101%.

Fire Punch to 252/128 +Def Bronzong: 41-49%
Fire Punch to 252/104 Neut Bronzong: 46-55%

Unfortunately this isn't much help for wifi where Genders are random, but on Shoddy it could be quite interesting. It can basically OHKO either Gyara or Gliscor with Stealth Rock down, and reliably 2HKO all but the most defensive Bronzong spread listed. Just thought it would be interesting to check out some Rivalry Punch numbers.

Unfortunately this isn't much help for wifi where Genders are random, but on Shoddy it could be quite interesting. It can basically OHKO either Gyara or Gliscor with Stealth Rock down, and reliably 2HKO all but the most defensive Bronzong spread listed. Just thought it would be interesting to check out some Rivalry Punch numbers.
Especially considering not many people bother to change the gender of their pokemon when they make a team...

So The Great Kakuna Man will be happy to hear this:

Harden is now Useless. Iron Defense is in!

(and on Metapod also if you care about him)

So The Great Kakuna Man will be happy to hear this:

Harden is now Useless. Iron Defense is in!

(and on Metapod also if you care about him)
Am I the only one who finds the concept of Iron Defense Butterfree hilarious?

Also, too bad it's only learned in the cocoon stages, otherwise XD Beedrills would have had an interesting new trick. Kinda like BP Scizor, but more UU and bee-like.

Gimmicky, but I wonder if Dusknoir could pull of Spiritomb's PP wasting trick now that it gets Spite:

Dusknoir: Mean Look/Spite/Sleep Talk/Rest?

Meh, probably not, but it could be fun.

Don't know if it has been said, but Breloom with T-Punch and Poison heal is NO longer illegal, and Rotom gets new forms? o.O

Superpower is Breloom's best new addition imo, seeing as Sky Uppercut was lacking in power slightly and Focus Punch is much too prediction dependant for me on subless sets. TPunch is pretty useful with Poison Heal, but generally Poison Heal is only really of any use on Sub-Punch sets as they're the only ones that typically carry a Toxic Orb. I'd much rather use Stone Edge or Seed Bomb in the final slot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)