Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No resistance is useless, of coarse, but it certainly does feel like it sometimes. Steel actually has some pretty good coverage, and the super effective hits against Rock and Ice are very much loved. Poison, though, only hits Grass for super effective and is completely walled by the plethora of steel types found in OU. ]: That and Gengar just spits in the face at taking Poison attacks as well. Kinda situational, but I'm sure you get my point.

Poison is like Flying and Steel: its not good (Steel may be good on its own defensively, but not alone) or used for the main typing but it helps as a Primary or Secondary typing.

And the exclusivity of toxic spikes [yes yes I know of forty and smeargle, but still] and the ability to remove them, but yeah, it mostly sucks otherwise.

Well... yeah. But fire isn't like that... this is called "balance". So what sort of sense does your argument make?
You're basically saying "if fire were like dragon, then overheat=draco meteor=broken"... well duh?
And you can nerf something without raping it. We just need more Pokemon that resist or hell are even immune to dragon. Like... a light type!

Also, the steel thing is just dumb. "Oh well it makes sense that steel should be good defensively, fuck the gameplay the only important thing is that it stays relatively true to real life! Let's screw up the game because of 'sense!"
Not?

And steel is just bruuuuken. Resisting 11 types? Come.On. Hell it ain't even bad offensively to compensate for that.
The point is, if dragon weren't everywhere steel wouldn't be THAT abused... and the draggy type is not the broken part (well it plays a role but not a main one) but the monstruous stats and movepools they get (DDance, DracoFuck, Outrage) now most of these attacks are learned by a huge amount of pokes (DDance is even on ridiculous things like Arbok and Outrage is learned by half the fully evolved pokes) but not every single one of them uses, hell, Jirachi has DracoFuck *cough*meteor*cough* and it doesn't use it, why? because Dragon is not a good type to use for attacking unless you get STAB AND Monstruous Attacking Stats (Latias anyone?)

Just my opinion on this

its like every other rpg? sure, lets add swords and shields too while giving accesory slots to our pokemons that allow then to win free stat boosts and moveslots! HOW DOES THAT SOUND FOR YOU!? light is retarded because we DONT need one, there is nothing cool in a pokemon based around light besides the fact he will give us horrible seizures, people use bullet punch on scizor because its a fucking 90 power priority move when he is the one using, iron head jirachi is for flinching porpuses and meteor mash is coming from MOTHERFUCKING base 135 atack, steel IS horrible on the offensive, its just that the pokemons that use steel have a good reason to use because of they stats/ability and/or lack of better options. also i like zoroark because i think he is cool, just like some persons like charizard for a reason and dont like blastoise for another. its a matter of personal taste just like musics, no point in discussing about it since everyone got different opnions.

Can we get some chill pills up in this bitch?

How about we move away from the topic of new types...

What new type combos would people like to see? I'd like to see some more interesting combos with Ice, that are actually usable (read: not SR weak). Something like ice/fight would be good, with 2 great stab types

Yeah steel type is so awful offensively, NOBODY uses Bullet Punch, Iron Head and Meteor Mash mirite?

And why not add a new type? Why fuck around so much with the older types when you can add a new exciting type [and the resulting cool Pokemon] AND solve your problems?

DERP LIGHT IS SO RETARDED - what the fuck's retarded about Light?
It's like in every other RPG ever. Plus I don't take this shit from someone who thinks Zoroark is a well designed Pokemon.
well light type only makes sense in America to be honest. Also like most people have said they only added new types to balance out physic. Okay steel is broken if only there was a pokemon that resisted steel and had an abillity to trap them. We could call it magnit pull.

Sorry about the post I'm just so annuyed by all of this fanboy talk.

Yeah steel type is so awful offensively, NOBODY uses Bullet Punch, Iron Head and Meteor Mash mirite?
Take away Bullet Punch's priority (and Scizor's Technician), Iron Head's flinchax and give Metagross some non-bullshit STAB (Psychic manages to be even worse than steel!) and let's see how many people will still bother to use them.

Well of course nobody would bother with Bullet Punch if it were a 40 power move without any benefit, or if Iron Head didn't have flinch...

But they do. And the typing is decent enough for them to work...

As for dragon moves, yeah, they're bullshit, so either they get nerfed or the whole type does.

Also what the fuck does everyone have against Light type?
Seriously, did you guys complain this much when Dark was introduced?

And as for type combination, I've been over this a hundred times:
Grass/Dragon, Fire/Dragon, Fire/Water/Electric + Bug, Ghost/Normal, Dark/Light [HATERS GONNA HATE] etc

Also Lucalibur your posts have reached such massive levels of idiocy and incomprehensibility that I won't be bothering with them.

Also what the fuck does everyone have against Light type?
Seriously, did you guys complain this much when Dark was introduced?
It's mainly over the crap that comes from the discussion of said type. There's enough people thinking the Psychic type in Japan is the Light type, anyway.

Really? Psychic always felt like the neutral type. Dark being the dicks, Psychic being neutral-esque, and Light being the good guys.

I mean what's holy/pure/etc about Psychic?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
its like every other rpg? sure, lets add swords and shields too
Stop being purposefully dense. Light has been established as a classical element centuries before the first video game, and it persists in both American and Japanese games. The Type chart draws from classical elements, and we've tossed around enough bad new type ideas to come to the logical conclusion that a Light Type is all that Pokemon is missing. If you don't think it is something Pokemon needs you're entitled to your opinion, but when you start calling your opponents fanboys (over criticizing the game no less, I think you have a poor grasp of what it means to be a fanboy), saying our ideas are retarded, and using bullshit arguments like how Light only makes sense in America (they would obviously call it Good in Japan, if you'd only exercise the portion of your brain that draws conclusions), you just come off as an insufferable ass. One that can't properly capitalize at that.

Ghost/Steel with Levitate.
Fighting/Flying Farfetch'd evolution (near-same sprite except DW leeks/onions and a karate-kid bandana!).

its true that light is a common element in other rpgs but the thing i am saying is that we dont need the light type to balance the type chart in pokemon because minor things could fix the same problems, if the type chart was really horrible to that point then i would agree on adding the light type, its just that we dont need that shit right now. if one type had to be added then the first type that comes to mind would be light but we dont need ANY new type at all.

We didn't complain when the Dark type was introduced because we were too young to give a damn. And if you were old enough to care then and are still on this site then... well you sir, have a problem with life.

its true that light is a common element in other rpgs but the thing i am saying is that we dont need the light type to balance the type chart in pokemon because minor things could fix the same problems, if the type chart was really horrible to that point then i would agree on adding the light type, its just that we dont need that shit right now.
Christ there's more than just balancing. And besides, as we argued like dicks about, the type chart IS unbalanced. Just look at the massive focus on steels and dragons in OU. And look at how some types just suck ass, like Poison.
How is it fair that steel gets to resist 11 types, be effective against 2, while Poison gets one super effectiveness and resists like, four types, two of which are barely needed? [Seriously, what bug moves are there in OU? Megahorn from the soon-to-be-BL Heracross? And lolpoison]

It needs balancing, and it needs the Light type to complement the elemental chart. You know, for fun? To add a bit of stuff to the game?
Why is this such a difficulty concept to grasp?

Plus come on, just think about it - white version gets a Light type Legendary, Black gets a Dark one, and the big bad is a Light/Dark chaotic entity. You want it... You know you do... [And it's the only way to top Arceus, just make up some story about him being some side-effect to Arceus or something]

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It needs balancing, and it needs the Light type to complement the elemental chart. You know, for fun? To add a bit of stuff to the game?
Why is this such a difficulty concept to grasp?
The status quo my friend. In competitive Pokemons, changes to the status quo are scary things. They're already afraid that Gen 5 will bring enough OU Pokemon that their teams couldn't possibly cover every threat, and adding a new type only makes the problem worse. That's what they are really afraid of.

has i said some minor changes can solve the same problems, also you forgot X-scissor and u-turn(how can you forget u-turn?) poison get bad coverage so we just need to fix this, make SE against water and take away some shit like ground resisting poison, there we almost fixed one problem, steel being broken on the defensive is for good reason, it surely resist a lot of shit but having 3 common weakness (VERY common weakness) and being crap on the offense make the steel almost only-defensive viable (besides the case of pokemons like scizor and metagross). notice how in gen 1 ghost used to have no effect against psychic and now it turn out ghost is SE against psychic! if gamefreak changed the types like that once then why not again? sure psychic was broken in the past but if steel is so broken and poison sucks so much like everyone think it does then i would prefer to change the types rather then add a new one. we already discussed about dragon and i think the only problem with the dragon typing is the fact the base power of the atacks is a little bit too high for something that hit so much stuff neutral.

I've mentioned this before, but I'd personally love a specially-based Fire/Dragon with really high speed. Say a spread of 70/85/95/135/95/120, and make it the next pseudo-legend. Yum.

Also, would a Dragon-type Fire Blast be overpowered? Because currently, Outrage is a great physical STAB, but on the special side, you can only use DM once before needing to switch out, and Dragon Pulse is a bit too weak. Something like a Dragon FB would be perfect for the above 'mon.

has i said some minor changes can solve the same problems, also you forgot X-scissor and u-turn(how can you forget u-turn?) poison get bad coverage so we just need to fix this, make SE against water and take away some shit like ground resisting poison, there we almost fixed one problem, steel being broken on the defensive is for good reason, it surely resist a lot of shit but having 3 common weakness (VERY common weakness) and being crap on the offense make the steel almost only-defensive viable (besides the case of pokemons like scizor and metagross).
Those weaknesses don't mean a lot when you consider all the great pairings steel has, and as I keep repeating steel isn't that bad offensively.

Also regarding the bug thing, I was mostly talking about powerful bug moves, since most u-turns are just unstab'd and the damage really isn't the big deal sbou them.

I've mentioned this before, but I'd personally love a specially-based Fire/Dragon with really high speed. Say a spread of 70/85/95/135/95/120, and make it the next pseudo-legend. Yum.

Also, would a Dragon-type Fire Blast be overpowered? Because currently, Outrage is a great physical STAB, but on the special side, you can only use DM once before needing to switch out, and Dragon Pulse is a bit too weak. Something like a Dragon FB would be perfect for the above 'mon.
Oh dear God what the hell have you created?
That thing is a goddamn monster and you want to give it a dragon fire blast?

it is bad when it comes to typing, a lot of steel moves get high power (meteor mash, scizor bullet punch, etc) so it give the impression steel is a good offensive type. hey at least is better then poison(yeah, poison really sucks)

edit:no dragon fire blast please! we DONT need this kind of thing....(first thing me and artix agree)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Poison is like Flying and Steel: its not good (Steel may be good on its own defensively, but not alone) or used for the main typing but it helps as a Primary or Secondary typing.
What sucks for flying is the attacks themselves. The best special flying attack for non-uber pokemon is Air Slash, which has a pathetic 75 base power and unreliable accuracy to boot.

On the Physical side, there's Drill Peck and Brave Bird.

As nice as Brave Bird is, most bird pokemon don't have the HP stat to go spamming it all the time, and the one pokemon who could really abuse it (Aerodactyle) doesn't even get it.

Speaking of getting it, Brave Bird is only available to birds, which leaves out a lot of other pokemon who would love to abuse their Flying type STAB. Drill Peck is even less distributed. Gyarados and Gliscor would both have near-perfect STAB coverage if they had a reliable flying move.

As it is, a lot of flyers are left with Aerial Ace as their best option-- which is flat out ridiculous. My guess is that if there were simply a move along the lines of a well-distributed flying type Crunch on physical and flying type surf on special, flying attacks would see a lot more play in OU.

If Flying got attacks along the lines of Close Combat and Hydro Pump . . . then we'd probably some pretty destructive offensive flying types . . .

the best we really got is staraptor and he would be great if was not by rotom...yes...rotom...i hate rotom....but that aside i always loved the flying pokemons, i love the fact they can fly around the blue sky in freedom! they deserve a lot more then they got, at least movepool wise. its just like the poison type, they could use a buff.

I'd love to see a Fighting / Flying type Pokemon that would be able to take advantage of STAB Close Combat and Brave Bird... A more interesting version of Staraptor, if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 17)