move 1: Rest
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Dragon Dance
item: Chesto Berry / Lum Berry
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Adamant
evs: 144 HP / 160 Atk / 40 SpD / 164 Spe

<p>Excellent dual STABs in Waterfall and Outrage coupled with Dragon Dance make Kingdra become a top threat capable of sweeping unprepared teams. In addition, Kingdra's excellent defensive typing, along with its deceptively bulky stats allow it to take strong special hits and Dragon Dance with a comfortable amount of HP remaining. Suicune and Starmie, two of Kingdra's would-be counters, usually hope to bait Outrage, only to find themselves unable to stop Kingdra from setting up two or three Dragon Dances while Kingdra is able to Rest and restore itself to full health thanks to Chesto Berry. Chesto Berry will not cure anything but sleep, so Pokemon relying on Will-O-Wisp or Toxic will think that they have 'beaten' Kingdra, only to give him an opportunity to set up more before healing off status with Rest. With its boosted Waterfall, Kingdra is able to beat many Pokemon without locking itself into Outrage and becomes very difficult to stop if the opponent no longer has a defensive wall such as Skarmory or Forretress.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The HP and Special Defense EVs are chosen so that Kingdra will survive at least two attacks from Life Orb Starmie and +1 Suicune. This special bulk allows Kingdra to Dragon Dance without fear of a 2HKO. A minimum of 164 Speed EVs should be used to outpace Choice Scarf Flygon after two Dragon Dance boosts. While the idea of this set is to Dragon Dance in spite of status moves and bulky Water-types thanks to Chesto Berry, Lum Berry is an acceptable substitute. With Lum Berry, Kingdra can cure itself of confusion if it is forced to Outrage before it is able to Rest. Lum Berry makes the set vulnerable to status users that Kingdra would otherwise have little difficulty setting up against, though.</p>

<p>Because the crux of this set is to set up on opposing bulky Water-types, strong Fire-type attackers such as Heatran and Infernape make excellent partners to this set. In addition, sweepers such as Tyranitar are good teammates after Kingdra sets up and eliminates the opposing Bulky Water-types. Because Kingdra's only weakness is to Dragon-type attacks, Steel-types are able to switch in and set up on the opponent's attempts to revenge kill Kingdra; Heatran, Jirachi, Scizor, and Metagross are ideal for this role. Rather than Kingdra's typical counters, this Kingdra is hindered by very defensive Pokemon. Kingdra almost always finds itself unable to beat Pokemon such as Skarmory, Swampert and Metagross. Again, Heatran makes an ideal partner for beating down these defensive threats; Heatran can even run Hidden Power Grass to lure and eliminate Swampert.</p>

Fuck you Atticus. I was hoping this set wouldn't go public, cause it's currently the best Kingdra set IMO. Oh well, cat's out of the bag.

Or

Approved (1/3)

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Steels, especially Scizor and Skarmory, are fantastic partners to this set because it sets up all over many Heatran and both can weaken the opponent's team (with U-Turn and Spikes respectively) and resist Dragon.

Fuck you Atticus. I was hoping this set wouldn't go public, cause it's currently the best Kingdra set IMO. Oh well, cat's out of the bag.
cats been outta the bag.. there are posers trying to take credit for the set and even suggesting inferior evs to other people in places like RMT. This set is an Atticus-made/perfected and Cave Ape-made/endorsed set! If I had a sticker, I would approve! Hurry up remlabmez and other junkies

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Do you really need that additional coverage that adding a second attack provides? It looks like both STABs on their own provide great mono coverage so you might as well use Sleep Talk...

I mean you're not an idiot so I'm sure the set works just fine but I can't really think of many reasons to use Waterfall...

Great set. The only thing I might add is 216 spe evs outspeeds jolteon and aero and can allow you to not worry about anything that isn't scarfed. Kingdra also maintains considerable bulk, so setting up on those and knowing you only need +1 to win can be pretty valuable imo.

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Do you really need that additional coverage that adding a second attack provides? It looks like both STABs on their own provide great mono coverage so you might as well use Sleep Talk...

I mean you're not an idiot so I'm sure the set works just fine but I can't really think of many reasons to use Waterfall...
you need waterfall for steels but its mainly used so you dont get locked into outrage. outraging really limits the set's lifespan to 2-4 turns but if you can waterfall to kill it gives you the option to what you want to do on your next turn.

the mono waterfall restalk set is really out of the question as you get completely walled by vaporeon and this set is meant to take advantage of waters like vaporeon/cune etc.

Chris was refering to mono-Outraging Dragon Dancer, which sets up on bulky waters all day and all night, and after a boost or two will 2HKO steels anyway (Metagross, Scizor, Jirachi don't exactly beat Kingdra very easily other than Meta blowing up).

Chris was refering to mono-Outraging Dragon Dancer, which sets up on bulky waters all day and all night, and after a boost or two will 2HKO steels anyway (Metagross, Scizor, Jirachi don't exactly beat Kingdra very easily other than Meta blowing up).
Dragon+Water are two great STABs that should be taken advantage of. Unlike the dd sleep talker, this one provides immediate offense which is needed for a lot of offensive teams to blow holes at any point of the mid-game when needed. Rest is the selling point to heal up and blow holes again. Keeps up offensive momentum, simple really.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[22:59:19] <Zy> So yeah
[22:59:24] <Zy> you said you didn't wanna type it up
[22:59:29] <Zy> I am offering.
[22:59:51] <Atticus> sure
[22:59:55] <Atticus> i dont mind at all
[22:59:57] <Zy> Coolio. Thanks.
[23:00:02] <Zy> I'll get it up tomorrow, probably

like the dd sleep talker, this one provides immediate offense which is needed for a lot of offensive teams to blow holes at any point of the mid-game when needed.
The DD Sleep Talker only has about 10 less total attack then this guy, and can set up on more things (Life Orb Starmie for example). I'm kinda with Chris in that I really don't see the benefit of this set compared to that

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
the benefit is that you dd once or twice, rest off damage, heal instantly, dd some more until you're almost dead and start attacking and raping instantly.

it's a much more straightforward against those who think you're running RestTalk and thus only have one attack, so as they switch in their Steel you can just DDance again thanks to chesto and waterfall their ass.

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The DD Sleep Talker only has about 10 less total attack then this guy, and can set up on more things (Life Orb Starmie for example). I'm kinda with Chris in that I really don't see the benefit of this set compared to that
i really dont know what the hell youre talking about with 10 less attack (292 atk vs 226 atk), and just so you know the given spread is only 3KOd by LO bolt/beam meaning you can DD twice, rest and start attacking, the problem with only having outrage is steels, your earlier comment really perplexed me as +2 Outrage wont 2KO any bulky steel in the OU metagame, where as waterfall does 2KO most and has the chance to flinch, also confusion is huge, a 50% chance of hitting yourself vs a steel (or anything for that matter) is annoying where as with waterfall you can control some, albeit not all of your moves so you aren't forced to either a) lose your kingdra to confusion or b) switch out because you don't want to take the risk

this set sets up on lo starmie fine, as lo tbolt only does 34.6% - 40.7%.
i don't get why you are arguing against this set, it works great just as is.

edit:
also you should probably mention agiligross as partner since one of the few things that revenges this set is scarf flygon, and jolly agiligross can take advantage of that and attempt to sweep.

Agreeing that you should've kept this on the dl, because now I have to actually prepare for this thing -_-. At any rate you might want to list Swampert as a counter since it can take a +2 Outrage and either Roar, which is usually what most Perts do to Kingdra outside of rain in my experience, or force you to Rest early with Earthquake.

i really dont know what the hell youre talking about with 10 less attack (292 atk vs 226 atk),
The RestTalk DD Kingdra set has been changed to Adamant and 275 Attack, along with a Special Defensive base precisely for setting up literally infinite DDs against a number of pokemon.

I'm going to try the set, but I would wonder why this and the main Dragon Dance set wouldn't just be merged in some way (add Rest as a slash over Substitute). Just about EVERY somewhat bulky Kingdra set is going to be good simply because its Kingdra and has unique typing and good defensive stats. From an analysis standpoint, the only thing different about this set is the EV spread, which is nothing more than a paragraph explaining it.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
GP Checks please.

[SET]
name: Chesto Rest
item: Chesto Berry / Lum Berry
evs: 144 HP / 160 Atk / 40 SpD / 164 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>When using Dragon Dance, Life Orb and Outrage are usually Kingdra's best options, but this results in Kingdra being taken out quickly and walled by Steel-types quite often. On the other hand, using the RestTalk version with Waterfall will make Kingdra walled by bulky Water-type Pokemon. This set remedies both aforementioned problems by carrying both Outrage and Waterfall while still having a means of recovery. The idea of this set is that you Dragon Dance once or twice in the face of Steel-types or bulky Waters and are then able to KO them easily once you heal back to full health with Rest before attempting a sweep. By taking out the pesky Water-types and defensive Steel-types, Kingdra can prevent other sweepers on its team from losing momentum while attempting its own sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs are fine-tuned in order to prevent Starmie or +1 Suicune from 2HKOing Kingdra with Ice Beam, letting it Dragon Dance without fear and then Rest off the damage. The Speed EVs allow Kingdra to outspeed +1 positive base 100s, namely Choice Scarf Flygon, after two Dragon Dances. The spread can be adjusted, so long as these requirements are still met. You can use a Lum Berry instead of Chesto, since it will cure Outrage's confusion, although most of the time you will use the berry while waking Kingdra from Rest. Even against burn or paralysis it is a better idea to just Dragon Dance and Rest it off before using Kingdra's Chesto Berry to restore yourself instantly.</p>

<p>Heatran, Gyarados, and any other sweeper who lures in Water-types like Swampert and Suicune are great partners to this set, since Kingdra can eliminate them, making it easier for them to sweep. They also pull the Water-type in, giving Kingdra an easy switch and set-up opportunity. Despite taking high damage from a boosted Waterfall, Steel-types can still be a problem. Skarmory will phaze you, and Metagross is forced to use Explosion, which can easily be played around.</p>

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
This was my first time proofreading with the diff app, so please bear with me! xD

[SET]
item: Leftovers
evs: 144 HP / 160 Atk / 42 SpD / 164 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>When using Dragon Dance, Life Orb and Outrage are usually Kingdra's best options, but this results in Kingdra being taken out quickly and walled by Steel-types quite often. On the other hand, using the RestTalk version with Waterfall will make Kingdra walled by bulky, Water-type Pokemon. This set remedies both aforementioned problems by carrying both Outrage and Waterfall while still having a means of recovery. The idea of this set is that you Dragon Dance once or twice in the face of Steel-types or the bulky wWaters and are then able to KO them easily once you heal back to full health with Rest before attempting a sweep. By taking out the pesky Water-types ofand defensive sSteel-types, Kingdra can prevent other sweepers on its team from losing momentum while attempting its own sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs are very accurately fine-tuned in order to prevent Starmie or +1 Suicune from 2HKOing Kingdra with Ice Beam, so this letsletting it Dragon Dance without fear and then Rest off the damage. The Speed EVs allow Kingdra to outspeed +1 positive Bbase 100s, namely Choice Scarf Flygon, after two Dragon Dances. The spread can be adjusted, so long as these requirements are still met. You can use a Lum Berry instead of Chesto, since it will cure Outrage's confusion, although most of the time you will use the berry Resting off any damagewhile waking Kingdra from Rest. Even against Bburn or Pparalysis it is a better idea to just Dragon Dance and Rest it off before using Kingdra's Chesto Berry to restore yourself instantly.</p>

<p>Heatran, Gyarados, and any other sweeper thatwho lures in Water-types like Swampert and Suicune are great partners to this set, since Kingdra can eliminate them, making it easier for them to sweep. They also pull the Water-type in, giving Kingdra an easy switch and set-up opportunity. Despite taking high damage from a boosted Waterfall, Steel-types can still be a problem. Skarmory will phaze you, and Metagross is forced to use Explosion, which can easily be played around.</p>
Final version:

[SET]
item: Leftovers
evs: 144 HP / 160 Atk / 42 SpD / 164 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>When using Dragon Dance, Life Orb and Outrage are usually Kingdra's best options, but this results in Kingdra being taken out quickly and walled by Steel-types quite often. On the other hand, using the RestTalk version with Waterfall will make Kingdra walled by bulky Water-type Pokemon. This set remedies both aforementioned problems by carrying both Outrage and Waterfall while still having a means of recovery. The idea of this set is that you Dragon Dance once or twice in the face of Steel-types or bulky Waters and are then able to KO them easily once you heal back to full health with Rest before attempting a sweep. By taking out the pesky Water-types and defensive Steel-types, Kingdra can prevent other sweepers on its team from losing momentum while attempting its own sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs are fine-tuned in order to prevent Starmie or +1 Suicune from 2HKOing Kingdra with Ice Beam, letting it Dragon Dance without fear and then Rest off the damage. The Speed EVs allow Kingdra to outspeed +1 positive base 100s, namely Choice Scarf Flygon, after two Dragon Dances. The spread can be adjusted, so long as these requirements are still met. You can use a Lum Berry instead of Chesto, since it will cure Outrage's confusion, although most of the time you will use the berry while waking Kingdra from Rest. Even against burn or paralysis it is a better idea to just Dragon Dance and Rest it off before using Kingdra's Chesto Berry to restore yourself instantly.</p>

<p>Heatran, Gyarados, and any other sweeper who lures in Water-types like Swampert and Suicune are great partners to this set, since Kingdra can eliminate them, making it easier for them to sweep. They also pull the Water-type in, giving Kingdra an easy switch and set-up opportunity. Despite taking high damage from a boosted Waterfall, Steel-types can still be a problem. Skarmory will phaze you, and Metagross is forced to use Explosion, which can easily be played around.</p>

Good job to both Atticus and Zy!

Hmmm. Having used this set, I think that the first paragraph doesnt really grasp the point of it. Its an entirely different set than the rest talker or mono attacker, so I dont understand the comparison. If I were to write the analysis, I would start with something like this:
With excellent dual STABs in the moves Waterfall and Outrage, along with a stat upping move, Dragon Dance, Kingdra becomes a top threat able to sweep unprepared teams. In addition, Kingdra's excellent typing, along with deceptively bulky stat dispersal, allows it to take strong special hits and Dragon Dance with a comfortable amount of HP remaining. Kingdra's would be counters, like Suicune or Starmie, both of which hope to bait Outrage, now find themselves unable to stop Kingdra from grabbing 2 or 3 Dragon Dances while Kingdra is able to rest up to full health thanks to Chesto Berry. With its boosted Waterfall, Kingdra often finds itself able to now beat these Pokemon without locking itself into Outrage and becomes very difficult to stop if the opponent no longer has a Defensive wall like Skarmory or Forretress.
Idk thats just my two cents. I could be completely wrong, but thats at least what I find when using it.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
Well, it does mention that, just not in as much detail. I can understand adding things about not needed Outrage vs Suicune, but I think having an opening line comparing it with other Kingdra is somewhat a good idea.

Why compare it to other Kingdra? I don't think the point of an analysis is to explain why one set is better than another set, which seems to be what you're doing. Rather, it is to give the reader an explanation on how to use the given set, because it is more than likely they will be looking at the analysis for how-to's after deciding they want to use Chest Rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)