Lanturn

Status
Not open for further replies.

The advanced search option did not come up with a Lanturn topic, so I made one here. Please note that is topic is dedicated to discussing this Pokemon competitively, but not whether or not it will be banned!

# 171 Lanturn
Typing: Water / Electric
Base Stats: 125 HP / 58 Atk / 58 Def / 67 Spd / 76 Sp. Atk / 76 Sp. Def

Ability 1: Volt Absorb- This Pokemon is immune to Electric-type moves, and heals up 1/4th of its Max HP when hit by one.
Ability 2: Illuminate- When this Pokemon is in the first slot of your party, it increases the likelihood of wild encounters.
Dream World Ability: Water Absorb- This Pokemon is immune to Water-type moves, and heals up 1/4th of its Max HP when hit by one.

Movepool: All moves with competitive value will be bolded.

Lv1: Bubble
Lv1: Supersonic
Lv1: Thunder Wave
Lv6: Thunder Wave
Lv9: Flail
Lv12: Water Gun
Lv17: Confuse Ray
Lv20: Spark
Lv23: Take Down
Lv27: Stockpile
Lv27: Swallow
Lv27: Spit Up
Lv30: Electra Ball*
Lv35: Bubblebeam
Lv40: Signal Beam
Lv47: Discharge

Lv52: Aqua Ring
Lv57: Hydro Pump
Lv64: Charge

TM06 - Toxic
TM07 - Hail
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM13 - Ice Beam

TM14 - Blizzard
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM21 - Frustration
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM25 - Thunder

TM27 - Return
TM32 - Double Team
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Troll*
TM55 - Boiling Water*
TM57 - Charge Beam
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM70 - Flash
TM72 - Volt Change*
TM73 - Thunder Wave
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
TM93 - Wild Bolt*
HM03 - Surf
HM05 - Waterfall
HM06 - Dive

Flail
Screech
Amnesia
Psybeam
Whirlpool
Agility
Mist
Shock Wave
Brine
Water Pulse

Secret Power
Endure
Captivate
Sleep Talk
Natural Gift
Icy Wind
Sucker Punch
Snore
Aqua Tail
Bounce
Heal Bell

Electra Ball: Special Electric / PP:10 / BP: ---/ Acc: 100 Effect:
The user slams an electric cluster into the opponent. The faster it is than it's opponent, the greater the power.

Troll: Special Normal / PP:15 / BP: 60/ Acc: 100 Effect: It attacks the opponents with song. If everyone sings together you can use the move in successive turns and have its power increase.

Boiling Water: Special Water PP: 15 Power: 80 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: May burn opponent. (30%)

Volt Change: Special Electric/PP: 20/BP: 70/Acc: 100/Effect: After this attack is used, if this attack is successful, if the user has at least 1 HP, and if user's party has at least one non-active Pokemon and the opposing Pokemon's party has at least one unfainted Pokmon that isn't an egg, this attack causes the user to switch even if it cannot switch. (The new Pokemon becomes active immediately. Effect of Destiny Bond and Grudge takes precedence over this attack's effect.)

Wild Bolt: Physical Electric PP: 15 Power: 90 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: Returns to user 1/4 of HP lost by opponent due to this attack (recoil).

Overall: Lanturn hasn't changed very much from Generation IV. One new move stands out, though: Boiling Water. Boiling Water in particular is a wonderful addition, allowing Lanturn to burn physical attacker that used to give it trouble. Additionally, this move is a TM, so it can run this with any of its 4th gen moves. Water Absorb is rather lackluster, as Lanturn already resists Water but is only neutral to Electric.

Key Traits:

1. Great Typing:
Water/Electric is wonderful typing; defensively, it yields a quad resistance to Steel and resistances to Fire, Water, Ice, and Flying. On offense, Water+Electric dual STAB has great coverage with Ice Beam, resisted by only Shedinja, Lightningrod Seaking, and Lanturn itself (see Volt Absorb).

2. Volt Absorb: Aside from his Electric STAB, this is what separates Lanturn from other Bulky Waters. Not only does it eliminate Lanturn's Electric neutrality, but it heals Lanturn for 25% of its HP every time it switches into one!

3. Great Supporting Movepool: Lanturn has a variety of status-inflicting moves: Toxic, Thunder Wave, and now Boiling Water are all great options to cripple the enemy. Lanturn can also support his own teammates with Heal Bell, taking status ailments off his entire team.

4. Lackluster Stats: This is why Lanturn isn't a top-tier Pokemon: aside from its amazing base 125 HP, its stats are terrible. 76 in the Special stats, 58 in the Physical stats, and 67 Speed just don't cut it in Standard play.

5. No Reliable Recovery: Aside from Rest, Volt Absorb, and Leftovers, Lanturn has no means of recovery. This is as big of a thorn in his side as Stealth Rock is for Fliers.

Possible Sets:

Status Beacon
Lanturn @ Leftovers
Volt Absorb
Calm nature (-Atk, +Sp. Def)
EVs: 40 HP / 216 Def / 252 Sp. Def
~Boiling Water/Surf
~Discharge/Thunderbolt
~Ice Beam
~Toxic/Confuse Ray/Heal Bell/Thunder Wave

• Boiling Water and Discharge provide great coverage and can cripple switch-ins while causing damage
  • Ice Beam is for Grass- and Dragon-types that resist both your STAB moves
  • Last moves depends on what you prefer: poison, confusion, or a cleric
  • EVs optimize Lanturn's defenses (particularly Sp. Def) while allowing it to survive 5 Seismic Tosses
Optional Changes:

• Thunderbolt or Surf are for more power, and Thunder Wave is for reliable paralysis
  • An alternate spread of 40 HP / 140 Sp. Atk / 176 Def / 252 Sp. Def gives Lanturn a little more power behind its Special Attacks
===
SubCharge
Lanturn @ Leftovers
Volt Absorb
Modest nature (+Sp. Atk, -Atk)
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 148 Sp. Def / 56 Spe
Hydro Pump/Surf
Charge Beam
Ice Beam
Substitute

• Set takes advantage of Lanturn's resistances and bulk to attempt a sweep or open teams up for one
  • Substitute is there to scout, block status, and makes setting up on walls a lot easier
  • Charge Beam boost Lanturn's Special Attack, allowing it to beat walls it normally can't, such as Blissey
  • Hydro Pump is preferred over Surf because it nets 2HKOs that Surf can't, such as on Tyraniatar, Machamp, Scizor, and Metagross
  • EVs optimize Lanturn's Sp. Atk, give it 101 HP Substitutes, and let it outspeed standard Vaporeon; the rest is dumped into Sp. Def
Additional Comments:

• Signal Beam may be used to counter Celebi
  • If running Rain Dance or Drizzle Politoed, Thunder may be run over Discharge
  • Hydro Pump is an option if you prefer raw power
  • Two notable Hidden Powers: Grass (for Water/Ground-types) and Fire (for Abomasnow, Nattorei, and Forretress)
  • Substitute can be used to scout; just run 52 EVs in HP, which gives Lanturn 101 HP substitutes
  • Rest can be used for recovery, but you better have Sleep Talk or a cleric
Teammates and Counters:

• Drizzle Politoed: it clears sand and hail while giving Lanturn 100% acc. Thunder, dual Water STAB, and an Electric lure
  • Lanturn hates residual damage, so having a Rapid Spinner is helpful
  • In general, Flying-, Bug-, and Grass-types are great partners, covering Lanturn's weaknesses and luring in its resistances
  • Chansey and Blissey wall Lanturn to death unless you have Toxic
  • Water/Ground-types; all but Swampert have an ability granting them a Water immunity, and Swampert has a strong STAB Earthquake
  • Grass-types, especially Celebi, Nattorei, Abomasnow, and Grass/Poison dual-types, are very dangerous without the right moves
  • Dugtrio can trap and kill Lanturn with Earthquake if it doesn't come in on a Water STAB or Substitute
  • In general, any strong Grass or Ground STAB will at least 2HKO Lanturn
Discuss, provide additional sets, etc. It's a bit more elaborate now too.

Just a quick response, but he faces a lot of competition from rotom-w, who now shares the electric/water typing with him. The only real advantages to using Lanturn would be boiling water and heal bell.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Just a quick response, but he faces a lot of competition from rotom-w, who now shares the electric/water typing with him. The only real advantages to using Lanturn would be boiling water and heal bell.
And Volt Absorb. Rotom-W can't counter Starmie as well as Lanturn.

Lanturn and Rotom-W are very different...you can't really compare them, as they have different purposes.

I kinda worry about this guy in Gen V. He's one of my favorites on my team because I can use him in OU with a good amount of success and with a good amount of people thrown off by its unusual typing and resistances. But Doryuuzu running around and the potential increase in sandstorm teams means a lot of EQs will be flying around and this guy doesn't like it one bit. Plus I worry he might be outclassed by Rotom-W who now has the same typing but Levitate.

I ran this set on PO a while back for my Lanturn:

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Calm nature (-Atk, +Sp. Def)
EVs: 40 HP, 140 Sp. Atk, 76 Def, 252 Sp. Def
~Surf
~Thunderbolt
~Thunder Wave
~Ice Beam

I used Thunderbolt over Discharge since if I wanted to paralyze I could just Thunder Wave. It's mostly similar to your set above except that I split up Defense EVs into Special Attack to give its attacks a little more oomph, which can make it deal pretty good damage to Heatran using Earth Power (which doesn't hit this too hard) and Dragons with Ice (if I can survive them somehow).

With Gen V, I can run this set again but with Boiling Water instead of Surf which now gives him two status to inflict.

EDIT: Oh an above poster is right, Rotom-W does have some different purposes than Lanturn now that you think about it, I probably shouldn't have compared the two. I still worry about this fish because of all the sand flying around and a certain mole...

Yay. Somebody remembers the Politoed's Drizzle?
Lanturn can be a potent PKMN in the Rain, and if this Rain is permanent, your enemy Says FFFFUUUU.

Nature: Modest.
Item: Expert Belt (with the tree moves you can hit an awesome lot of OU PKMNs, and EB can offer you more power).

- Thunder.
- Hydro Pump.
- Ice Beam.
- Confuse Ray.

Yes, the classic Rain Dancer Moveset, but more offensive, and you don't need Rain Dance and Damp Rock, you only need the support of Politoed's Drizzle (from Dream World).
- Thunder have a 70% of Accuracy, but in Rain, increases to 100%. 120 BP + STAB + 30% of chances of paralize your opponent. Only Groundscan resist this. Grasses and Dragons can deal with it, but the paralize Stage its a problem.
- Hydro Pump hits very hard with STAB and the power boost in the rain (STAB + Rain Boost = Increase of 100%, Sweet Arceus), so you hit with a powerful move with 240 BP. Too Awesome.
- Ice Beam destroys almost any Dragon with a hit, also, kills your "archienemy" Torterra, who takes neutral damage of your Water STAB, is inmmune to your Electric moves, and because Torterra's both STAB are the Types against Lanturn is weak.
- Confuse Ray its a very annoying move. 50% of the time your enemy damage itself, but if the opponent has been paralized for your Thunder, you may induce the legendary "Parafusion" Stage, let you chances to destroy the enemy with any attack taht you have. This cause a lot of Switches.

Well, Lanturn is apparently the same, but Boiling Water is an Awesome move (I wait this move 4 Generations, with the same name [lol]), and the newly Drizzle user, Politoed, give you a permanent rain in lower tiers. This is a beautiful Arceus's gift to our old and cool Lanturn.

See you.

Confuse Ray? Why not Substitute?

Also, I'm pretty sure STAB+Rain is an increase of 2.25.

X*1.5*1.5=2.25X

Anyway, SubCharge Beam comes back for another round of free lols!
@Leftovers
Volt Absorb
Modest
52 HP / 252 SpA / 148 SpD / 56 Spe
Hydro Pump
Charge Beam
Ice Beam
Substitute

Rotom-W has no Ice Beam.

Also, Lanturn cockblocks Rotom-w, who I imagine will be the only one with a chance to make it into OU.

@ below: cool story bro?

Well, now that homework is out of the way I've expanded Lanturn's description.

@nickja217: Mentioning Rotom-W was something I was seriously considering, but I left it out last night because I was tired. If Rotom-W seems relevant enough I'll add a small compare-and-contrast section.

@chicobo329: Added your alternate EV spread in optional changes for the set; it's listed in Lanturn's Gen IV analysis, so why not? Doryuuzu isn't specifically added because it fits under "strong Grass or Ground STAB".

@Cristhianmir: You'll need to explain why this set is relevant; "Lanturn" and "all-out offense" don't go together well. Plus, it's pretty sloppy.

@Darkamber8828: Added the SubCharge set in; could be potent with Drizzle Politoed running around.

And yes, I added Lightningrod Seaking to the "resists Water/Ice/Electric" list. XD

Lanturn is outstanding, comparing it to top OU is silly and irrelevant as that isn't where it will be used.

Being able to burn and a scouting move makes Lanturn that much better, I imagine it will be even more troublesome to KO in 5th gen than it was in 4th gen.

Lanturn's Subcharge set is actually pretty effective. It completely sets up on bulky waters (except those with a Ground sub-type) and can then start boosting up. It can hit Ground-types with Hydro Pump, which does good damage due to its high base power. It also beats Blissey one-on-one, which any other set of Lanturn can't do (except maybe rest-talk?).

Lanturn's my favorite 'mon, can't wait to see how he works with Drizzletoad. I usually like thunder wave over confuse ray/toxic on offensive sets because it helps with his lackluster speed. I was seriously hoping he'd get an evo this gen with more usable stats lol.

@Cristhianmir: You'll need to explain why this set is relevant; "Lanturn" and "all-out offense" don't go together well. Plus, it's pretty sloppy.
Sorry 'bout that, I forget it. lol

Well, see, this Lanturn (with Life Orb) can have (but, you need heavy support) a good niche in the OU- and in the Uber- tiers:
- A pure Special Attacker Lanturn, with Thunder, can 2HKO an Kyogre without Calm Mind in the Rain.
- Lanturn's Hydro Pump OHKO Groudon, only if you can counter the Groundon's Drought.
- Lanturn can abuse it resistences and destroy many treaths in the OU with the amazing voerage that offers with HPump, Thunder and IBeam.
- Confuse Ray can potentially give Lanturn many free turns to set up Rain Dance while also working with Thunder's paralysis rate to create the dreaded ParaFusion combo. Laturn can use those free turns to destroy many things without take a constant damage. Also, the Paralysis offers to Lanturn, in some cases, outspeed the opponent.
- Ice Beam hit many things, like Dragons. and if a Groudon is Send-out, it healths can be cuted to the half or more.

Yes, Lanturn's Speed is poor, but in the Rain, Lanturn can destroy many things, and with it good resistences and power-uped STABs under the Rain, and the Paralysis moves, Lanturn can be a very usefull battery in many niches, both OU an Uber (this, as I say, with heavy support).

And, Lanturn can be Awesome when Trick Room is in game.

See you.

Agility LO Sweeper
Lanturn @ Life Orb
Volt Absorb
Modest
EVs: 4 Def/252SpA/252Spe (May require tweaking)
Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Agility

Used to occasional success in 4th Gen OU, switch in on Starmie/Rotom-W/pretty much any bulky water not named Swampert, Agility on the switch. Lanturn's typing gives it useful resistances to Bullet Punch, Ice Shard and Aqua Jet(lol), and with its high HP stat it may be able to outlast CS Ditto (needs testing, LO is a liability here though). Just make sure Blissey/Chansey are gone first...

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Regardless what some ppl say here he faces stiff competition from rotom-w as either a defensive and offensive option for OU.

Levitate is really better than volt absorb as it reduces his weakness to one while getting immune to something that would normally hit for se damage and is a often used attacking type. It also makes him immue to Spikes and T-Spikes wich is excellent for a defensive pokemon.
His only Weakness is Grass and the most used Grass attack in Gen4 was Gras Knot wich hits him for almost nothing (40 BP including SE damage if i am right, but not that sure), however maybe Energy Ball sees more usage and there is always Leaf Storm (beware of Jaroda who sets up with that move) and Shay/Skymins Seed Flare wich both hit him like a truck.

Volt Absorb isnt bad but compared to levitate it makes you immune to something that would normally hit you neutral though the free healing is really appreciated seeing as he got little healing options.

For Recovery/Healing both got pretty poor options Pain Split is cool with rotoms low HP but is not really reliable and , but since DW abilities aren't an issue for them they can still use Rest/Sleep Talk.

They are pretty similar in Support Options Rotom-W gets WoW while Laturn gets Boiling Water, wich i am not a great fan of since 30% is not bad but nowhere near reliable on the other hand WoW acc isnt the best either so its up to personal preference.
Rotom-W got Trick wich is really cool too cripple counters like blissey on the offensive sets wich are usually carry a choice item.
Lanturn gets Heal Bell to get rid of status on him and his Team Mates wich is always great to have.

For attacking options Laturn got the Benefit of getting more than just one Water Stab and only having Hydro Pump for Stab isn't exactly the best for defensive Rotom-W with low PP and not the best acc out there.
For Electric Stabs both get the same stuff and thats all they need.
Additonally Lanturn can get Ice beam where Rotom must use HP Ice for BoltBeam Coverage, though Ice Beam is only really useful for offensive sets and Rotom does this way better in 90% of the times thanks to his better SpA.

IMO Rotom-W is the better option most of the time levitate, better Speed and SpA make him slightly better than Lanturn who got slightly bulkier stats(thanks to his high HP) and an additional Healing Option in Volt Absorb.

Edit: included Ice Beam and Heal Bell

Really, if you're going to use Lanturn you better play its strenghts rather than a Levitate-less Rotom-W... which, truth to be told, aren't many.

The only things I can think of are Ice Beam and Heal Bell, so I'd use a set with that.

Yay. Somebody remembers the Politoed's Drizzle?
Lanturn can be a potent PKMN in the Rain, and if this Rain is permanent, your enemy Says FFFFUUUU.

Nature: Modest.
Item: Expert Belt (with the tree moves you can hit an awesome lot of OU PKMNs, and EB can offer you more power).

- Thunder.
- Hydro Pump.
- Ice Beam.
- Confuse Ray.

Yes, the classic Rain Dancer Moveset, but more offensive, and you don't need Rain Dance and Damp Rock, you only need the support of Politoed's Drizzle (from Dream World).
- Thunder have a 70% of Accuracy, but in Rain, increases to 100%. 120 BP + STAB + 30% of chances of paralize your opponent. Only Groundscan resist this. Grasses and Dragons can deal with it, but the paralize Stage its a problem.
- Hydro Pump hits very hard with STAB and the power boost in the rain (STAB + Rain Boost = Increase of 100%, Sweet Arceus), so you hit with a powerful move with 240 BP. Too Awesome.
- Ice Beam destroys almost any Dragon with a hit, also, kills your "archienemy" Torterra, who takes neutral damage of your Water STAB, is inmmune to your Electric moves, and because Torterra's both STAB are the Types against Lanturn is weak.
- Confuse Ray its a very annoying move. 50% of the time your enemy damage itself, but if the opponent has been paralized for your Thunder, you may induce the legendary "Parafusion" Stage, let you chances to destroy the enemy with any attack taht you have. This cause a lot of Switches.

Well, Lanturn is apparently the same, but Boiling Water is an Awesome move (I wait this move 4 Generations, with the same name [lol]), and the newly Drizzle user, Politoed, give you a permanent rain in lower tiers. This is a beautiful Arceus's gift to our old and cool Lanturn.

See you.
About the power of Hydro Pump, you shouldnt add the percentages, but do it like this
150% of 120 = 180
150% of 180 = 270

But I still think I'd rather go with Boiling water

Really, if you're going to use Lanturn you better play its strenghts rather than a Levitate-less Rotom-W... which, truth to be told, aren't many.

The only things I can think of are Ice Beam and Heal Bell, so I'd use a set with that.
Well Boltbeam is a pretty huge strength as it is, not much can boast that kind of coverage with STAB on it. Eitherway I'm pretty torn on Lanturn since I've loved using the guy for the past 4 generations for his great typing and as a special sponge and support.

With the big change to Rotom-W this gen means he is probably going to be pulling off parafusion far better with his defenses and speed. With that said it pretty much means Lanturn will be stuck to a defensive support role this gen you'd probably be either looking at.

Lanturn w/ Volt Absorb
-Ice Beam/Boiling Water
-Volt Change
-Thunder Wave/Confuse Ray
-Heal Bell

Its pretty straightforward and effective and plays to Lanturns strengths, Confuse Ray may be preferred if you fear ground switch ins.
-

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
not sure if relevant, but I've been using a subcharge lanturn with icy wind instead of ice beam in doubles with pretty good success. I use a zapdos and a rotom-w (will probably replace him in gen 5 because of him losing the ghost typing) with discharge to keep lanturn healthy.

Icy wind is there because things switch less in doubles, icy wind hits both, and the speed drop has gotten him out of quite a few sticky situations

with +2 in SpA, he can wreck shit with hydro pump

he doesnt gets stab on BoltBeam only on T-Bolt so its not that much of an advantage over Rotom-W.
nothing gets dual stab on boltbeam. What was your point again?

BurningMan

fueled by beer
nothing gets dual stab on boltbeam. What was your point again?
He said that Lanturn would get this coverage with stab on it and i corrected him?

btw rotom-f gets pseudo BoltBeam stab with Blizzard just in case you haven't noticed. (its such a shame they dont get any other stab moves too their new typing :/ )

He said that Lanturn would get this coverage with stab on it and i corrected him?

btw rotom-f gets pseudo BoltBeam stab with Blizzard just in case you haven't noticed. (its such a shame they dont get any other stab moves too their new typing :/ )
Yeah well I doubt anyone will run Blizzard outside of Hail, and Rotom-F isn't very useful anymore as it has a Fire weakness now and no Fighting immunity, plus it's neutral to Bullet Punch. Lanturn has much better HP than Rotom-W, which means it can set up on Blissey (101 HP Subs).

You corrected nothing since its pretty obvious he only gets STAB on one half, anyone with any sense could've figured that out.

The actual point there is that its a significant advantage seeing as out of all the actual BoltBeam users in the whole game only Regice/Lapras/Lanturn/Froslass and Castform get any form of STAB on it, with Genosect and the Porygon getting Download as another way of boosting.

Also trying to use Rotom-F outside of a pure Hail team is akin to shooting yourself in the foot, hell even using it in a Hail team it'll probably underperform with Froslass around.

dont use lanturn on offensive sets :S i mean roton W can do it better since it has a mutch higher base spa and speed and the only thing it has over roton w is ice beam offensively and roton W can get hp ice 70 and is compensated by the higher spa base

so use defensive lanturn since the moves it has over roton w just scream defensive
boilling water heal bell and bolt beam for coverage

I find Lanturn awesome for spreading paralysis. Thunder Wave something and change your voltage. It has useful resistances to common attacks and BoltBeam, allowing you to come in easily. The opponent will rarely switch in a ground type to take the Volt Change, fearing STAB Surf. Of course, Rotom forms (frost, wash and mow) can do this and function similarly, with their resistances and levitate, and can also get T-wave off faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)