Want to write for The Smog? (Yes, you do!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the things I most want to see in the smog is an in-depth Warstory. When I was new to competitive battling, I got to ~1300 on the shoddy ladder. That's quite respectable. However, every time I ran into a top player (>1500 rating) I would lose and have no idea why. I make no obviously bad moves, I don't lose horribly, and yet my opponents are always in control and win easily. since then I've gotten better at the game; now quite often I'm the one who's doling out the losses. However, every now and then I still run into better players and get crushed without really knowing why.

I think such a game, well annotated, makes for excellent reading. Easy way to get the material would be to match up some decent player on ladder (say, 1300 on PO ladder) with a top player like Earthworm or Gouki or panamaxis. Chances are the top player wins without much effort. The game can then be turned into a warstory. It might not be a good battle, but it would be very instructive.

I could probably come up with ideas for some more trivial articles, as well as do a little writing. I think it would be cool to write for smog, would help me fit into the community better.

Ok this isn't really writing related but i'd just liek to know what kind of art I could do for the smog. For instance, who should I ask, or is there anyone who wants art done, because I really want to get into it but I'm not really sure how or what to do

Precipice

Thats bull.
is an Artist Alumnus
One of the things I most want to see in the smog is an in-depth Warstory. When I was new to competitive battling, I got to ~1300 on the shoddy ladder. That's quite respectable. However, every time I ran into a top player (>1500 rating) I would lose and have no idea why. I make no obviously bad moves, I don't lose horribly, and yet my opponents are always in control and win easily. since then I've gotten better at the game; now quite often I'm the one who's doling out the losses. However, every now and then I still run into better players and get crushed without really knowing why.

I think such a game, well annotated, makes for excellent reading. Easy way to get the material would be to match up some decent player on ladder (say, 1300 on PO ladder) with a top player like Earthworm or Gouki or panamaxis. Chances are the top player wins without much effort. The game can then be turned into a warstory. It might not be a good battle, but it would be very instructive.
I completely agree, I've found there seems to be some kind of 'edge' amongst the very top players that even some of the better experienced players seem to lack, It'd be wonderful if somebody could do an in depth analysis of what this might be.

Ok this isn't really writing related but i'd just liek to know what kind of art I could do for the smog. For instance, who should I ask, or is there anyone who wants art done, because I really want to get into it but I'm not really sure how or what to do
contact Swaggersaurus about doing art from the smog. Explain what you want to do, what are your strong points, then show him some example of your work.

I'd be interested in writing an article on the future of the Pokémon franchise, how far can GameFreak keep it going before they lose the interest of us- the customers? What are the oppinions of some of the more prominent members on the forums? Many called this generation 'broken' when it was first released and many still do, have gamefreak lost track of the original beauty of pokemon, or are they simply running out of ideas?

Like I said I would attempt to provide an answer of some form to all of the above questions as well as interviewing some of the senior members for their oppinions.

Hello, I'm a n00b to the Smogon forums (well, a lurker if anything), and the latest Smog caught my interest with its call for writers. I cannot offer in-depth articles on the metagame, but I can offer articles on the franchise itself, such as comparisons of generations and analysis of the future of the franchise, as well as satirical takes on issues within the fandom.

I have experience in writing for news publications, both in an actual newspaper and a Pokemon news site. I wrote a temporary column during the summer on BulbaNews entitled "Looking Forward" (The series can be viewed here) and I currently write for the Montana State University newspaper, the Exponent (the articles I've written are collected here.

I'd be glad to lend a hand in any way I could.

One thing that's often bothered me is the lack of a Warstory writing guide. Time and again I've seen warstories locked because of poor formatting or indeed a poor battle. I do have a guide drafted up on how to write one and I think that perhaps including it in an issue of The Smog would be a fairly good way of informing new players about warstory writing. As with any work it needs peer analysis but I do have the main body written up and ready for anyone to look at on demand.

Although I've only been a part of the Smogon community for a short time, I've always wanted to influence and contribute to the site in any way possible. I'll work on a Grass type analysis for 5th Gen.

I always wanted to write an article on mono-type teams for gen 5, in which teams are the most effective and which are just dead shit.

I would also like to offer my assistance on any way that may be helpful to The Smog, be it gathering information, polls, writing, or anything of the sort.

I would love to write for the smog. Although I've only participated in competitive Pokemon for only two months, I've been lurking and learning for some time. Recenty, I reached #16 on the Smogon Dream World tier.

In particular, I want to write about the changing speed tiers and how they should be viewed in the BW metagame. Things like permanent weather, Mischievous Heart, and new bulky Pokemon such as Nattorei, I believe, have changed the way speed should be considered and thought of.

Hmm, I could definitely help write a few articles. That is, if I'm even considered lol.
A little bit about me.
- I have been playing competitively since Late Gen 2, I stuck around Gen 3 and 4, and I've been studying Gen 5 since the PO Beta was put up.
- I can write some entertaining articles, I've done a few for some other sites regarding Gen 5.
- I'm an active participant in the community, met some Smogoners at recent VGC's, etc.

But yeah, I could do some work.

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
I'm not sure if there's one article about this, but how about an article about two or three attacking types that will calculate their type coverages?
Or maybe the best two or three-type combos that will hit everything for at least neutral damage?

Example:
We're pretty sure that the familiar Fighting-plus-Ghost attacks will make a perfect type-coverage, hitting all Pokemon with at least neutral damage, except the non-existent Normal-Ghost dual type.

Another Example: Fire + Dragon = No pokemon resist this except for Heatran, until the arrival of Reshiram the 5th Gen. Uber, with the ability equivalent to Mold Breaker.

I want to write for the next Smog Issue.
The idea is:
"UU & NU Pokemon in the OU tier"
It features UU and NU pokemon that do well in the OU tiers, and good movesets for them there.
Of course this is 4th gen, I wouldn't write or play 5th gen until the tiers are almost finalized.
So anyways, if you like this idea, I can write for you guys, thank you :D

I have an idea for a recurring article that I would like to see. I don't know if this (or something similar) was proposed before, so if it was, please excuse me. Lots of text below, and I do repeat or change words often. Bring up any parts that need to be clarified, if there's any confusion.

As you all know, competitive play for Pokemon itself is a deep matter. Many strategies are developed, many ideas are thought up of, and many discussions are made. Many members have made their mark on the forums and if one took the time to look, you'll find an incredible amount of information. However, the truth is, a good amount of thoughtful posts are either ignored or not seen by enough people. Either that, or just great posts need to be seen out in the open. Also, for those who do shift through forums, since there are so many places to look, you might not find what you were looking for. Thus, it would seem be appropriate for The Smog, an easy to view and access feature of the site, include such posts/replies.

To the actual idea itself. What I'd like to see is a "Question of the Issue" column in which a specific question ( that is chosen before-hand) be discussed about in the sub-forum and several of those answers/arguments be included in the article. The question could be about anything whether it's your opinion on 5th Gen metagame, whether a certain set on a Pokemon is useful, or even comments on the site itself.

Who gets to run the project or decide which replies be included for the current issue? And how do we go on about deciding what question should be featured? I don't know how to do it exactely, but here's roughly what I had in mind:

For the former, we could do two things. First would be to appoint someone to head the project. After the question is decided, they start the topic which will be open for a period of time. Anyone can submit their responses in it and discuss them with each other. When the topic is closed, the TL/Project "header" must decide what posts should be included in the article with the question. Any amount of posts can be included but it would be best to stick with around 4-6. If short answers are included, then more can be added. If users spent time discussing in the thread and made more than one reply, than the "header" could combine them if they wanted to. Deciding which replies to be included in the article would be up to the judgement of whoever is running it, so we should keep this in mind.

The second thing we could do to decide is somehow appoint someone different to head the project each issue. However we choose these people, I don't know. Maybe nominations and or voting. As for deciding on the questions, it could be either up to whoever is running it, or what I would prefer, a vote by the community. The TL can think of different questions/topics and everyone else can vote on the one to be discussed. Either that or the questions/topics can be submitted by everyone else in the first place with the voting afterwards. Again, if something similar was ever proposed then excuse this, heh. And if it's decided to use this idea, then the ideas above are just suggestions, they don't have to be strictly followed.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Planning to write an article about Hax.
If anyone wishes to assist with the article, let me know :)
(it'd make things easier if you have Smogon IRC)

i am willing to write for the smog. i am a good writer with way to much time on his hands. willing to write anything for now but after i learn the ropes ill have plenty of ideas :)

I think I would be writing articles. I have no ideas right now, but writing on a type made or RMT seems to be a fun way to get a little motivation goes. I intend to go to school in September and I think it would be a good way to keep my writing sharp. I'll try to be on IRC as much as I do, then we can discuss the possibility of making me write some articles.

Hi, I'd like to put my name down for any kind of writing etc which would be part of the Smog. I can write very well and know a lot about 4th gen OU and starting to get into 5th gen.

Was not aware this was even open for suggestions, let alone applications. Well, I love to write and I love the smog. If you guys need anything done, let me know. It'd be an honor to have a hand in making the smog what it is--awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)