In-Game Tier List Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh. Here's my experience, use it how you like. At Driftveil City, team members are Lv. 26 (yes, I am anal-retentive about raising them evenly).

Tepig/Pignite - Slow as crap, but Flame Charge is awesome. Woe be you if you accidentally miss this move. It is god. It is is love. Haven't tried other starters yet, but it certainly made Burgh's Leavanny easy.

Lillipup/Herdier - Easily one of the best Pokemon in the game. lol? no. Take Down will massacre anything that doesn't resist it, plus a few things that do. Highly recommended.

Patrat/Watchog - Eats Exp. early on and craps Speed stat. I ditched it at around Lv. 22. Hypnosis is wonderful when it hits, and Super Fang is meh (I prefer straight-out killing things). Lacks Take Down like Herdier, so its power is... less powerful.

Pansage - Look up the word frail on Wikipedia, and you'll see Pansage's picture. Lousyish level-up movepool, and takes a while to get Seed Bomb. Evolve it after that, don't bother waiting till Lv. 43 to teach it Crunch. Power is meh, coverage is meh, difficult to use. I still have it, and I keep asking myself why. because he looks cool, and i agree.

Sigilyph - Fast, powerful, gets Air Cutter upon levelling up. Appearing right before Elesa is unfortunate, but it still pulls its weight. Haven't really used it enough. Tricky to catch.

Sandile - SLOW. Sand Tomb is a surprisingly useful move, though it hasn't learned much yet. Extraordinarily useful versus Elesa if you can keep it alive. (Try the Eviolite.)

Tirtouga - SLOWER THAN SLOW. SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. NOT FAST. That aside, it has good defense, and it starts with good moves, Aqua Jet especially. Comes at a high level, so that's a plus. Again, appearing before Elesa makes it hard to train. Not enough usage to make a really informed decision.

Throh - Yes, I'm playing White. Raised it for a few levels, then dumped it, though it may arguably compete against Tepig/Pignite for a spot. Teach it Rock Smash and destroy things, including Lenora (probably). Hard to catch, though. you can get Sawk at the same place as Throh by the way, even in White. But regardless, Throh is better anyways.

tepig wrecked gym 2 and drillbur laughs at emolga. Lucky egg pretty much makes the game easy mode aswell..

Tepig etc
Very solid upto gym 7 then its kinda meh against the dragons and the E4 , not enough speed to sweep the Dark one :/ but does he ever have the tm coverage to chop and change to adapt to most "enemys" with fire moves , scald , grass knot , heart scale hammer arm, head smash and wild charge just in time for the E4. mine managed survive ghetsis Hydreigons surf and maim it with hammer arm the first time

( IMPORTANT NOTE when the credits roll it doesnt save until they finish , i learnt the hard way :( )

Stoutland
I really tried to make him work but about 2/3s through he just doesnt have enough power or coverage to really work. A shame as he was almost a really good route 1 poke ... Pick up was nice early game to get ultra balls for Victini and then sand rush helped me in route4/ desert resort. My sixth poke that swapped for zekrom at the end

Pansage
Sucks. So many better grass types, shame as simisage looks cool and monkeys are always awesome ( see timesplitters 2)

Sewaddle
Bug is very useful and i was worried about evolving him in time for slash but he must have high happiness as he evolved about Lv 24-26 without soothe bell. between him and turtiga clay was destroyed . very good against E4 as bug beats caitlin and the dark guy and resists fighting (aslong as you avoid stone miss!)

Carracosta
Pretty much soloed clay and flying gym and chipped in at the ice gym (just as emboar was getting to much exp!). Very solid with priority to patch up snorlax esque speed. Poor speed helps get in a shell smash later on before getting a mini sweep on. adds a nice balance to the team in the e4 as not many pokes hit him super effective, saved me in the ghost one as that chandy seemed to be on roids outspeeding excadrill only to eat an aqua jet to the face

Excadrill
Carried drillbur til dig then from route 4 onwards he surpasses even Scyther in HG/SS in godliness

Electric gym- soloed
Ground- took a breather to let the other level up
Flying- Part steel resists attacks and rock slide tears shit up
Ice- wanted to play but emboar needed the exp
Dragon- i paniced here thinking I had no ice or dragon moves, only to find eq one shotted everyone , to save pp i set up with hone claws/SD (cant remember which) and metal clawed them instead( side note iris's AI seems rubbish as they just DD until they die :/)

Teach it X-Scissor instead of rock slide ( u can reteach it rock slide from the tm after) and it murders the Psychic/dark guy , shadow claw helps against cHAUNTERal but theres better options.
He resists all of zekroms moves awell and the EQs him back to lavender town

Braviary
Understandably low tier wise but i loved his moving sprite so had to have him. save most of the trainers from ice town to dragon ville and used them with the lucky egg and some reviving to get him teh experience needed to get him strong enough to one hit fightings with fly. got him from 36 to 51 just at the end of victory road by basically just using him and then used the 3 rare candies i had to evolve him. Heart scaled him his superpower , sheer force boosted rock slide and crush claw and OMG he tears shit up (probably due to his level but im biased!) superpower clear KO on hydreigon= WIN

Just got to Nimbasa city, is the battle subway worth trying yet?

Also. I dont like Excadrill, Its like when somebody gets too popular and you cant help but hate them.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Forget Rock Smash on Throh, it learns Vital Throw and then Revenge within a few levels of catching it. It's slow enough that you shouldn't really care about always going last anyway.

Forget Rock Smash on Throh, it learns Vital Throw and then Revenge within a few levels of catching it. It's slow enough that you shouldn't really care about always going last anyway.
Strange, I had taught my Throh Rock Smash until like 3rd or 4th gym. Simply put...

WTF WHERE IS MY FIGHTING STAB >:(

To the people saying Joltik needed a lot of babying...I just didn't feel that at all.

You go through the cave, toss a Dusk Ball at every Joltik you see that doesn't have Unnerve. Pick out the best of the litter, give him an EXP share, then do the next route + Celestial Tower. By the time I had to do the Gym, Joltik had leveled enough (don't forget charge beam) to where she could tear through the gym trainers on her own, and was a Galvantula by the time I actually got to Skyla. Once she was down, Galvantula was actually my highest level pokemon. If Exp Share is considered babying...then yes, Joltik required babying. But I never had to go out my way to grind it to be usable, unlike Scolipede.

Scolipede...I'm working my way through Victory Road at the moment. Frankly, I'm only using him because I lucked out and got a shiny version, Lonely with non-crappy IVs (high 10s on average, so not terribly good, but usable). He's definitely pulling him own weight currently, but until you get to the move relearner to give him Megahorn, he was quite underwhelming. Even if he's fully evolved, his movepool would be Bug Bite, Poison Tail and Dig/Bulldoze. His main use for me, really, is his insane speed and STAB Megahorn. Not like that's anything bad, granted. But his other moves at the moment just feel weak. Also, even if it's a relatively brief period, Venipede was annoying to level. He can hold his own once he gets to Whirlipede, but until then...I'd say Low Mid.

Cinccino...I love this thing. He can be a bit unreliable, but he's a lot of fun to use. Obviously you need to get a Technician one. He just wrecks things...when he's not getting a 2 on multi hit moves, although he's hardly a slouch even when that happens. Currently, mine is running Tail Slap/Wake-Up Slap/Rock Blast/Sing. Sing's come in handy a couple times, and it can't hurt to have if shit hits the fan. Rock Blast has pretty much OHKOd anything weak to it. I've actually OHKOd quite a few things before with Tail Slap too...Minccino actually didn't require much babying at all. Caught a few to get a decent Tech one, taught it Dig/Thief, it got Tail Slap in a couple levels, and from there it held its own. Can evolve it before the fifth gym, and Tech'd WU Slap does quite well there. I'd definitely say Upper-Mid.

Samurott, Scrafty...the pros and cons has been discussed before. Scrafty is definitely top, Samurott...Top, maybe a tier below. He seems to die a lot on me. But that may be more my fault. He tears through early game through like crazy.

Team report

So, after finally finishing the main game... it's time to report on the whole team. Beware, it's very, very long... =P

Serperior

Leech Seed/Growth/Giga Drain/Leaf Blade

Obviously my starter, and was pretty good throughout the whole game. Nice in the beginning, it 2HKO to 3HKO'd most trainer's Pokemon and could take quite a hard hit too. His low attacking stats are a total non-issue. He hits just as hard as any other Pokemon.
It began to slow down a bit before evolution, but after that it was as powerful as ever with Leaf Tornado. It was brilliant for quite a while and didn't really slow down before evolving again, because it had the 5th Gym to train in. After evolving into Serperior, it was better than ever, but that's where it started to go downhill. As I finally got together a team of six members, it started falling behind the others and was quite overshadowed by them. There were plenty of opportunities in which I could have sent in Serperior to save the day, but instead I ended up sending out other Pokemon because they just get the job done better. To sum him up, I'd say he's good at what he does, but he's limited and outclassed to an extent.
Upper Mid Tier

Zebstrika

Wild Charge/Thunder Wave/Flame Charge/Thunderbolt

As odd as it sounds, this was a great team member. Got it very early on Route 3, already with Shock Wave as an attack. Hit surprisingly hard and was useful against the majority of the early-game.
It learned Flame Charge in Pinwheel Forest, which was very useful for all the Sewaddle and Venipede that kept appearing. Soon before it evolved, it learned Spark, which did massive damage compared to Shock Wave. I gave it an Eviolite while it was still a Blitzle to help it survive more attacks; it worked very well and it became a solid Pokemon.
After evolving, things just got better. It hit insanely hard at that point in the game. It learned Discharge later, which was actually on par with Spark in terms of power and was a very reliable move to use. I went and got the TM for Thunderbolt as soon as I got Surf, which of course I taught to this guy. It was an absolute killing machine, no lie. It was fun to use, helped me through a lot of the game and kept the momentum going when things got rough (if it weren't for him I'd have easily lost to both N and Ghetsis). He was one of those Pokemon you could send into a sticky situation and have it almost always come out on top.
Top Tier

Sigilyph

Fly/Psychic/Shadow Ball/Air Slash

There was only one issue with this Pokemon; it made everything too easy. Seriously, it just tore through the game when I got it; there's barely any need for me to explain after all the praise it's got already. I've got no complaints, I could have quite easily solo'd the game with it.
Top Tier

Galvantula

Volt Change/Charge Beam/Thunder/Signal Beam

A real pain to level when I first got it after the 5th Gym, but as soon as it evolved, it was a pretty nice Pokemon. It had a nifty typing for the upcoming Gym. The real deal came when I taught it Thunder, where it was clean OHKO'ing quite a lot of the game. I would report much more on it, but I only sent it into favourable situations because Zebstrika was my main Electric-type throughout the game, but I just had to get this little guy as well. I couldn't resist.
High Tier

Ferrothorn

Curse/Ingrain/Gyro Ball/Power Whip

An odd choice for a team member, and the best way to describe its performance is just that; odd. It was ridiculously hard to level up at first, barely damaging anything with its moves and being unable to run from anything due to its Speed (it still can't). It took me about an hour in total to grind it to evolution. After that it started to catch up quite quickly. Its STABs did a lot of damage, and while Gyro Ball sounds great off of such a low base Speed, a lot of Pokemon at that stage are still quite slow, and so it's not as effective unless you use Curse. So if you run into something slow that resists Power Whip, you either have to switch out or start Cursing. On the other hand, if you do run into a fortunate Speed advantage, you can deal absolutely massive damage. It's odd because Ferrothorn relies not on type advantage alone, but the opponent's Speed and coverage moves. It can survive an onslaught from many Pokemon, it just might not always be able to do much back, and if it runs into a Pokemon it could easily kill that has a Fire move, its Speed causes it to switch out as well. In general, it performs very well where it is able to, it just can't switch into any old situation and promise you a quick defeat like many other Pokemon can.
Keeping it in against Ghetsis's Sazandora and Gyro Balling it to death after a Focus Miss was hilarious, though. Made me love it so much more.
Mid Tier

Chandelure

Confuse Ray/Will-O-Wisp/Fire Blast/Shadow Ball

First of all, the first two moves are of no use whatsoever.
When I first caught it, it was able to defeat most of Celestic Tower's Pokemon, with the aid of about 50 Super Potions and 20 Revives. The situation was always kill or be killed for Litwick. After many Audinos and one evolution, it became a lot better and was winning far more than it was losing, having become much more reliable. Evolving it into its final form as early as possible is highly recommended; Chandelure is an absolute beast. It wrecks everything with its dual STAB, and it is the thing I often found myself sending into anything that was threatening my team in order to take care of it. It does come kind of late and is a pain at first, but the pay-off is well worth it. As of post-N's Castle, it has 160 Special Attack while the rest of my team have attacking stats lingering between 90 and 130.
Upper Mid Tier

UPDATING:

Just went through that Electric Cave(Damn encounter every two steps T_T) and now I'm heading to the Celestial Tower before the 6th Gym.

-Samurott LVL 36
Just evolved this beast.
He rapes EVERYTHING.
Scald/Razor Shell/Grass Knot/Return hit everything pretty damn hard.

-Darmanitan LVL 35
An absolute BEAST.
He OHKO's everything with Fire Punch. I don't even know why I let him learn Flare Blitz. Fire Punch alone is overkill.
It's also nice that he can take a hit and is decently fast.

-Gurrdurr LVL 35
He's served me well, but he's been a bit over shadowed by Darmanitan.
Wake-Up Slap isn't strong enough, but Rock Slide is pretty nice to have, and Bulk Up is epic.

-Sigilyph LVL 32
Training it right now.
God tier. I don't care if I haven't finished the game, it's God tier.

-Krokorok LVL 31
He's really nice, but he's a bit too frail.
It's been kinda troublesome training him because of all the Bug and Grass types.
Now that I'm in the Celestial Tower, I might murder a few ghosts ;D

-Spot reserved for Litwick
The last spot on my team. I don't care if it's tough to train :P

Btw, am I over leveled at this point?

Weren't you just over leveled? Everything still gets ultra raped.

Btw...the Celestial Tower's music sounds...strangely familiar...

EDIT: My Litwick is Hasty. + Speed - Defense.
That's fine. It'll die to anything either way.

Weren't you just over leveled? Everything still gets ultra raped.

Btw...the Celestial Tower's music sounds...strangely familiar...
I think it sounds a bit similar to Mt Pyre. I dunno, but I thought the exact same thing when I went there for the first time. Currently, it's my favorite overworld music and also plays in the Great Hall (how's that called in english again?)

Maybe I was a bit overleveled, but it ain't a bad thing because endgame pokes are a bit overpowered, imo. I'm looking at you, Haxorus, Chandelure, and Hydreigon.

Kefka Palazzo™, i agree with you about Krokorok, i have him at level 34 right now.. basically around the exact same spot as you.. [just got hm fly] and im so surprised he's so frail.. i expected and understood him to be a bulky hard hitter.. but boy was i wrong.

also.. why does everyone love sigilyph and Darmanitan so much? doesn't darmanitan gets outclassed pretty bad by the ghost/fire and fire/bug

Just an update since I've turned off for the night. Atm my team has 5 real members, all (pleasingly given my slightly OCD nature) level 26 right after beating the fourth gym.

Pignite (Arm Thrust/Rollout/Ember/Flame Charge) is doing well and has been throughout. His bulk is solid and he can dish it out fairly well too. I'm most concerned about when I hit the late-game and he's too slow to beat anything, given his plethora of weaknesses, but hopefully tactical use of Sitrus Berries and resist ones can help out with that if need be.

Palpitoad (Mud Shot-should be Dig, not used to new TMs/Uproar/Bubblebeam/Aqua Ring) is an excellent team member, doing brilliantly versus the Emonga hordes in the 4th gym now he has the elec immunity. Tad frail towards evolution but not too bad since it can OHKO most of route 4 to level.

Petilil (Giga Drain/Magical Leaf/Sleep Powder/Synthesis) Is pretty much waiting for Aromatherapy so I can evolve her and get Quiver Dance too. Boosting Cleric ftw. She doesn't get much in the way of coverage so I may as well use her as a pseudo-special wall with recovery of sorts, but nonetheless seeding has been useful, if her role has been overlapping with Palpitoad somewhat in hitting Grounds atm. She should help with opposing toads at the next gym nicely, however.

Sandile (Dig/Bite/Sand Tomb/Imprison) is actually really helpful. OHKOs every Psychic so far (except that bitch sigilyph), and even without evolving can take a hit to dish one back. Blackglasses and Smooth Sand can be exchanged depending on the coming fight, which is awesome. Can't wait for him to evolve and get a bit more speed/defence and Crunch. Not been able to abuse Moxie really since I like levelling my guys fairly equally, but hey.

Archen (as recieved) is the newest member, but looks to be a powerhouse already, since it OHKOs anything weak to it even with no EVs - and this is without Acrobatics. Level 37 evolution should be bearable I hope, if I can find it some good TMs to use as coverage options and refrain from switching it into things.

Looking at a Galvantula prevo as the 6th since it gives me reasonable offensive synergy and is badass. The team's main issue seems to be frailty, but if I can use resistances carefully and pick up some very powerful attacks then a lot of stuff opposing should get OHKOd, hopefully. Often it requires strategic sacrifices to win a battle with no item expenditure, but I don't really mind backtracking to heal seeing as they're frequent this time.

Kefka Palazzo™, i agree with you about Krokorok, i have him at level 34 right now.. basically around the exact same spot as you.. [just got hm fly] and im so surprised he's so frail.. i expected and understood him to be a bulky hard hitter.. but boy was i wrong.

also.. why does everyone love sigilyph and Darmanitan so much? doesn't darmanitan gets outclassed pretty bad by the ghost/fire and fire/bug
Fire/bug is shit tier ingame. Chandelure fares just as well as Darmanitan, but Darma has one key advantage: it comes really early in the game whereas Chandy comes really late.

The croco is frail as fuck until it evolves, mind you. Once mine evolved, it never let me down again, kinda like Rick Astley.

Yeah, Darumaka can be caught WAY too early IMO.
It just rips everything apart with Hustle Fire Punch and then it gets Flare Blitz...wow.

I think I'm gonna stick in the tower for a bit, maybe until my Litwick is lvl 35 or so and my Krok reaches lvl 35 too.

Btw, where can I find Audinos? I heard they're great for grinding.

breh

強いだね
It just rips everything apart with Hustle Fire Punch and then it gets Flare Blitz...wow.

I think I'm gonna stick in the tower for a bit, maybe until my Litwick is lvl 35 or so and my Krok reaches lvl 35 too.

Shaking grass.

Outside the tower. Anywhere with grassy patches, actually. Just walk (OUTSIDE the grass) and eventually a patch will shake. Jump to it for a rare encounter; Audino has a 90% encouunter rate in shaky-grass.

How often does Grass shake because I only saw it twice...(one for Audino and one for my awesome Throh).

Samurott is amazing as is the Zebra and as people said the Darma once it evolved. The fossil bird is phenomenal at first stage, I can't wait till it evolves.

I was surprised to find the Krok not as good at taking hits as I thought it would be and is difficult to level.

Why are Cobalion, Terakion, and Virijion at lower levels?

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
How often does Grass shake because I only saw it twice...(one for Audino and one for my awesome Throh).
Just run around outside of the grass without getting into a battle and it will shake eventually.

I feel bad for Audino leveling because it's just so easy, but I can't seem to stop myself. Wish the new exp system wasn't in place

Samurott is amazing as is the Zebra and as people said the Darma once it evolved. The fossil bird is phenomenal at first stage, I can't wait till it evolves.

I was surprised to find the Krok not as good at taking hits as I thought it would be and is difficult to level.

Why are Cobalion, Terakion, and Virijion at lower levels?
Cobalion probably deserves High tier since it can apparently make Gym 7 and beyond pretty laughable, but it's mostly because all of them get a really late appearance-they can show their stuff, but they have little time to show it in compared to things like Darumaka, who is good from Route 4 to the endgame.

Terakion comes latest of all, so I would bump it down to mid.

Just run around outside of the grass without getting into a battle and it will shake eventually.

I feel bad for Audino leveling because it's just so easy, but I can't seem to stop myself. Wish the new exp system wasn't in place
Yeah because running out of EXP before the elite 4 is so much fun... And fighting with underleveled pokemon is such a joy. Losing...and losing. Love it.

I can kill about 2 of those Audinos before I get bored to death. Grinding will never be more fun than actually playing the game.

Yeah because running out of EXP before the elite 4 is so much fun... And fighting with underleveled pokemon is such a joy. Losing...and losing. Love it.

I can kill about 2 of those Audinos before I get bored to death. Grinding will never be more fun than actually playing the game.
E4 are doable once you hit at least level 51. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)