B&W Research Thread

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
From the tests I've done, seems that the move that Me First copies will now always target the target of Me First, given that the copied move allows you to select a target.

It'd be good to get confirmation on this. I didn't do nearly enough trials for this test to be conclusive. I just had a hunch after finding out Mirror Move worked this way now.

Don't know if this is known yet, but I have personally witnessed my Miracle Skin Sigilyph dodge both Leer and Heal Block. No evasion/accuracy mods, no Brightpowder.

Ninja_13:

This is to be expected. Wonder Skin changes the accuracy of non-damaging attacks against its bearer to 50 (before other accuracy-modifying effects.) This is unlike most other effects that modify accuracy, such as evasiveness and BrightPowder. In this way, for example, Leer and Heal Block, which both have an accuracy of 100, will have an accuracy of 50 instead. As another example, Hypnosis, which has an accuracy of 60, will have an accuracy of 50 (not 30) instead.

I don't know how late I am with this, but mental herb allows immediate use of sky attack. On the battle subway, a Sigilyph charged a sky attack then 'mental herb allowed Sigilyph to be fully charged he then used sky attack.

edit: Scratch that.
I fail. It was a power herb. I'm too tired to play pokemon I think. :(
Haha

Just something doubles related which isn't explicitly stated in the OP. I'd try and test myself but am really busy this weekend :\, so if noone else does I'll try it eventually.

Firstly, are Fast/Wide Guard on the same counter as Protect/Detect/Endure? Secondly, does Feint break Endure and Wide Guard (it's blocked by Quick Guard)?

Ninja_13:

This is to be expected. Wonder Skin changes the accuracy of non-damaging attacks against its bearer to 50 (before other accuracy-modifying effects.) This is unlike most other effects that modify accuracy, such as evasiveness and BrightPowder. In this way, for example, Leer and Heal Block, which both have an accuracy of 100, will have an accuracy of 50 instead. As another example, Hypnosis, which has an accuracy of 60, will have an accuracy of 50 (not 30) instead.
Where did you get this information from? As far as i know Miracle Skin has only been tested with Thunder wave

Judas DN:

That knowledge came from my own tests, not from any other site.
Yeah, I had only posted that because Smogon and Serebii both said it was only status-inflicting moves, which I assumed meant things like Thunder Wave. In fact, I think somebody posted something like I did earlier in this thread, but I think it was dismissed, since the move had imperfect accuracy anyways.

In a double battle if the opponent uses flinch moves against the same opponent, how does the chance to attack calculated
i.e.
Togekiss uses Serene Grace Air Slash
Jirachi uses Serene Grace Iron Head

in a double battle

against a Mew. *

*Mew is slower than both

How does the chance for flinch get calculated, does it get calculated at the intervals of the attack, or does it stack up

Sy123:

My belief is that effects that cause a Pokemon to flinch set a flag on the Pokemon, so that when the Pokemon's turn comes, it will flinch if the flag is set. Such effects can only set the flag; it won't be cleared until the end of the round. This belief, however, hasn't been tested.

So if I use Zen Headbutt with Golduck it has 20% chance to have the 'flag' on it, and even if I Iron Head with Jirachi it wont make a difference if the flag is there?
(theoretically)
And if its not there then the Jirachi has a 60% chance of making the flag go on the defending pokemon, therefore the formula to calculate the percenatage of attack for the defending pokemon if hit by two flinching moves is:

(100-a) x (100-b) = Defending pokemon can attack

Correct me if I am wrong, and this is theoretically

Judas DN:

I'd rather not explain what tests I used. However, one way to confirm my belief is to use a very low accuracy move against a Sigilyph with Wonder Skin, such as Sing and Supersonic, both of which have an accuracy of 55%. Do this lots of times to get lots of samples. With Wonder Skin, these attacks should hit about 50% of the time, rather than 27.5% of the time.

Sy123:

It looks like you're correct.

Thus, for example, if a Pokemon with No Guard is active, attacks by other Pokemon, where neither attacker nor opponent has No Guard, can miss.
What about stuff like Heat Wave or Muddy Water in doubles? Is it only guaranteed to hit the pokemon with No Guard, or both?

The flags for the items KIng's Rock and Brightpowder vanished from the transition from Generation 4 to Generation 5.

How are these determined now?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
The flags for the items KIng's Rock and Brightpowder vanished from the transition from Generation 4 to Generation 5.

How are these determined now?
The 'BrightPowder' flag didn't exist in 4th gen. Eventually I discovered that what everybody assumed was the BrightPoweder flag was actually the Mirror Move flag. It just took Serebii until 5th gen to change their MoveDex.

EDIT: So to answer your questions:

1. I have no idea what determines whether a King's Rock works with a move, but it doesn't seem to be a flag in the 'flags' section of the move data.

2. Any move that has a normal accuracy check and can miss is affected by BrightPowder. There's no special flag for it.

What's the order of weather activating abilities when two are sent out at the same time? Does the slowest Pokemon change the weather last?

EDIT: I just realized that I actually can test this myself.

Kyogre lv45 and Snover lv33; Double battle with both on the same side, Snover is slower.
Rain activated first, Hail second.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
What's the order of weather activating abilities when two are sent out at the same time? Does the slowest Pokemon change the weather last?

EDIT: I just realized that I actually can test this myself.

Kyogre lv45 and Snover lv33; Snover is slower
Rain activated first, Hail second.
Awesome. Now perhaps you could test what happens if they both switch in on the same turn. I believe in 4th gen, the switch order depended on the Speed of the Pokemon that were switching out. So, what I want to know is this:

1. Does the faster Pokemon still always switch out first?
2. Does a weather-inducing ability work immediately upon switching in, or do all other switches in the round happen and then abilities take effect?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Just something doubles related which isn't explicitly stated in the OP. I'd try and test myself but am really busy this weekend :\, so if noone else does I'll try it eventually.

Firstly, are Fast/Wide Guard on the same counter as Protect/Detect/Endure? Secondly, does Feint break Endure and Wide Guard (it's blocked by Quick Guard)?
Well just yesterday in the Super Doubles Subway I watched a Throh use Wide Guard one turn (stopped my EQ lol) and then use protect the next turn, but the protect failed. Seems to me like they must be on the same counter. Kind of surprised me.

And along similar lines to TMN, I wonder if they changed the way weather takes effect in Gen 5. In Gen 4, if say rain was up, and you switched in Groudon or were able to use Sunny Day right away:
1) The sun would come out RIGHT away.
1) Solarbeam would fire THAT turn.
2) Water damage would be halved THAT turn.
3) Strangely, any swift swim mons would still have their speed doubled until the NEXT turn.

I just wonder if their speed drops that turn now.

@ Mattj - seems to me that the stuff (like say Solarbeam) that happens that turn as a move is decided when the move is used - so whatever weather is active then will take precedence. Turn order in terms of moves or w/e the technical term is probably is decided sorta right as the turn begins, so before any switches take place (and before the weather changes). I could be wrong, as especially with After You etc being introduced turn order is no longer set in stone, but that's how I'd imagine it still is if noone's noticed it happen differently yet.

breh

強いだね
Do Air Lock and Cloud Nine eliminate weather entirely when the Pokemon is sent in in 5th gen? I apologize if this is well known.

EDIT: I asked that this is tested because I've seen videos where weather completely goes away after the introduction of a Rayquaza... am I just missing something?

Do Air Lock and Cloud Nine eliminate weather entirely when the Pokemon is sent in in 5th gen? I apologize if this is well known.
They only eliminate effects of the weather while they're on the field - they don't eliminate weather (Cloud Nine for sure, fairly confident Air Lock is the same). This is part of the reason using a weather move on a poke is often a better alternative to help counter weather, I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)