OU CCAT: Nidoking Edition

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Edited it to only have Leftovers as the viable item. Probably right about losing 37% so quickly. Guts boosted Focus Punching is just too juicy though :)

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
100% support shnen's Rotom-W set.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Nidoking will obviously have a very tough time muscling past things like Blissey, Reuncius or Latias when they're at full health so a strong physical attacker would be nice. Scizor handles all of the aformentioned threats to Nido. Scizor can also picks off pokemon that are faster than Nidoking with Bullet Punch. This works out pretty good resistance wise as well (3/4).

I'll edit more sets in later
I have also used this set, however I ran iron plate and tailwind over pursuit, it didn't do to badly, just another option- oh and thanks, I remember playing you on showdown loads last night :3

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll second the Scizor and Rotom-W combination as I used them on my own team involving Nidoking, however I'd suggest changing Rotom's item and set to Trick Specs, to help deal with defensive teams better.

I'd also like to suggest Taunt+SD Cobalion and Stallbreaker Crobat as teammates.

Crobat @ Leftovers
Trait: Inner Foucs
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Super Fang
- Taunt

Such an underrated set in this metagame. Checks faster sweepers like Latios, revenges pokemon easily, maintains momentum with U-Turn and can help stallbreak with the Pain Split+Taunt combination. A truly excellent Pokemon, espescially with breaking through the pink blobs.

Cobalion is the standard SD+Taunt set on the analysis and I've found its surprisingly effective in OU.

Celebi and Virizion (not both) are two potential teammates. Cele can nasty plot pass and spread paralysis while Virizion can go mixed and get surpise KOs on Blissey. They also contribute to the overall team via stall breaking and bulky water countering.

Quoting myself for JUSTICE

In the theme of bulky offense I'd like to propose a pokemon in a similar vein to The King that can potentially handle many of his checks.

Gallade (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 240 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef / 12 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Leaf Blade/Ice Punch/Psycho Cut
- Shadow Sneak

Comes out of the box and can handle a lot of special attackers quite easily with his impressive Special Defense becoming more deadly and bulky with every boost. Also has access to priority with shadow sneak and has coverage options designed to stop threats to Nido's reign.

Paralysis support can't hurt, but Nidoking has decent enough speed (Timid outspeeds Modest Hydreigon, who doesn't need paralysis) that wearing down bulky mons that Nidoking can't immediately kill is about as important (Earth Power is a 3HKO on standard Gastrodon).

Tinkerbell Celebi can do both and more.

Celebi @ Life Orb
232 HP/252 Sp Atk/36 Spe
Natural Cure
Modest
-Thunder Wave
-Leaf Storm
-Recover
-Hidden Power Fire

This set does many things well, as Leaf Storm nukes stuff, Recover and hp investment provide a surprising amount of longevity despite Life Orb, Thunder Wave fits as an excellent support move, and Natural Cure lets Celebi be a status absorber, which is always useful. HP Fire is mainly for Scizor. Speed creep as necessary.

To top it off, Celebi and Nidoking have great synergy, only sharing an ice weakness. The pink blobs are, of course, problems, but they are a) not that common and b) can be dealt with by other teammates.

Paralysis support can't hurt, but Nidoking has decent enough speed (Timid outspeeds Modest Hydreigon, who doesn't need paralysis) that wearing down bulky mons that Nidoking can't immediately kill is about as important (Earth Power is a 3HKO on standard Gastrodon).

Tinkerbell Celebi can do both and more.

Celebi @ Life Orb
232 HP/252 Sp Atk/36 Spe
Natural Cure
Modest
-Thunder Wave
-Leaf Storm
-Recover
-Hidden Power Fire

This set does many things well, as Leaf Storm nukes stuff, Recover and hp investment provide a surprising amount of longevity despite Life Orb, Thunder Wave fits as an excellent support move, and Natural Cure lets Celebi be a status absorber, which is always useful. HP Fire is mainly for Scizor. Speed creep as necessary.

To top it off, Celebi and Nidoking have great synergy, only sharing an ice weakness. The pink blobs are, of course, problems, but they are a) not that common and b) can be dealt with by other teammates.
I second Tinkerbell Celebi and, if this set is chosen, another potential partner would be:

Lucario@Life Orb
4HP/252 Sp Atk/252 Spe
Inner Focus
Timid
-Nasty Plot
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse
-Vacuum Wave
This thing is a BEAST! Here are some calcs (I use the Smogon damage calculator, but make a pokemon with the same stats for BW pokes. Feel free to check my calcs.)

Lucario@Life Orb +2 252 Timid Aura Sphere vs 252/0 Bold Blissey: 75.9% - 89.4%, OHKO with a bit of residual damage
Lucario@Life Orb +2 252 Timid Aura Sphere vs 252/0 Bold Eviolite Chansey: 63.4% - 75%, a clean 2HKO
Lucario@Life Orb +2 252 Timid Aura Sphere vs 252/168 RelaxedFerrothorn: 101.1% - 119.3%, OHKO
Lucario@Life Orb +2 252 Timid Aura Sphere vs 252/0 Impish Skarmory: 93.4% - 109.9%, OHKO with SR
Lucario@Life Orb +2 252 Timid Aura Sphere vs 252/224 Careful Jirachi: 42.6% - 50.5%, 2HKO with SR and 1 layer of Spikes

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lucario@Life Orb
4HP/252 Sp Atk/252 Spe
Inner Focus
Timid
-Nasty Plot
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse
-Vacuum Wave
This thing is a BEAST! Here are some calcs (I use the Smogon damage calculator, but make a pokemon with the same stats for BW pokes. Feel free to check my calcs.)

Lucario@Life Orb +2 252 Timid Aura Sphere vs 252/0 Bold Blissey: 75.9% - 89.4%, OHKO with a bit of residual damage
Lucario@Life Orb +2 252 Timid Aura Sphere vs 252/0 Bold Eviolite Chansey: 63.4% - 75%, a clean 2HKO
Lucario@Life Orb +2 252 Timid Aura Sphere vs 252/168 RelaxedFerrothorn: 101.1% - 119.3%, OHKO
Lucario@Life Orb +2 252 Timid Aura Sphere vs 252/0 Impish Skarmory: 93.4% - 109.9%, OHKO with SR
Lucario@Life Orb +2 252 Timid Aura Sphere vs 252/224 Careful Jirachi: 42.6% - 50.5%, 2HKO with SR and 1 layer of Spikes
I second this nomination, it destroys any defensive core that would give Nidoking trouble, such as SkarmBliss, FerroCent, and CeleTran.

I would also like to nominate SD Virizion. It can break down bulky waters that will give Nidoking trouble as well, such as Gastrodon, Vaporeon, and Politoed. Here's the set:

Virizion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef) / Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Stone Edge

Alrighty!

Poll is up! We will be using the same voting system as always, meaning 3 points for your 1st nomination and 1 point for your 2nd and 3rd.

Teammates Ballot

With this in mind, the poll will close in 2 days.

Happy voting!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yes, you may vote for your own nomination!

1: Baton Pass + TWave Celebi
2: Calm Mind + LO Latios
3: Swords Dance Virizion

Celebi supports Nidoking well by sponging strong water hits, as well as ground moves. More importantly, Celebi facilitates Nidoking's sweep with paralysis, luring in mons like Latios, Volcarona, and Tornadus, and passing NP / CM boosts to Nidoking, so it can even break through Gastrodon, Chansey, and Blissey.

Latios is a great wall-breaker that can lure and destroy Gastrodon, Chansey, and Blissey with CM-augmented Psyshock. It's awesome speed is helpful in checking powerful threats of this OU meta, particularly Landorus, Terrakion, Virizion, and Infernape.

SD Virizion acts as a perfect complementary offense to Nidoking. Nidoking attracts special walls like a magnet, which Virizion can switch and set-up easily.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Bwahaha! I will vote and you can't do a thing about it!
Jirachi (Wish) & Rotom-W (Scarf))
Jirachi (Wish) & Starmie (LO/Rapid Spin)

Skarmory (Spikes) & Rotom-W (Choice Specs)

Paralysis and team support FTW!

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Lots of good options :0

1) Latios (Calm Mind + LO)
2) Scizor (Choice Band)
3) Rotom-W (Paralysis)

edit: wait, will more noms be allowed after this poll or will we just vote, add a teammate and reset points 5 times?

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think we do another round of team noms to build around LO Nidoking + team mate(s). So yes, I assume we will have more noms to follow, and I think we could re-nom old candidates if they fit in the team well.

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1. Rotom-W (Paralysis) - this set has been really effective for me!
2. Virizion (Swords Dance)
3. Celebi (Baton Pass and T-wave support)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)