Media itt: movie/film discussion - Beware Spoilers

Piranha 3DD (Piranha 3 Double D) looks like it'll be some more campy 3D horror fun! Also, in the same vein, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter 3D!
I thought Piranha 3D was more humour than horror, the piranhas were a bit over-the-top and the strange obsession with boobs in the movie takes away from the horror-atmosphere. Still looking forward to it though, 3D was a lot of fun to watch, even if it was pretty stupid.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Avengers- Best Fucking Movie of the year. Let's see if The Dark Knight Rises and The Hobbit can top it off for me.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Yeah, Avengers is outstanding - probably the most fun I've had in a cinema. The whole place burst into applause at the end which was quite special and something I've never been a part of before.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I may as well chime in with praise for the Avengers. It did really hit the spot in the way a superhero film should. Plenty of action, an easy to follow story, and all the humour of Iron Man. That's from someone who's always preferred DC, and didn't really enjoy Thor/Capt America all that much. I enjoyed Cobie Smulders inclusion as well, she can actually play a character other than Robin Scherbatsky.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It was interesting how the character who got the most laughs, oohs, ahs, and straight up applause in my theater was the Hulk. Maybe because this was the first movie where his role wasn't to be really sad and sympathetic, but to wreck the shit out of shit. He stole the final battle.

Avengers was pretty fucking awesome. It wasn't perfect, but it was amazingly entertaining and Whedon's gift for dialogue has remained very much intact.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Well it's hard to argue that a movie is perfect Seneschal, but I don't think it had any problems. Last year Fox raised the bar for ensemble movies, this year Marvel broke the bar completely. Now DC needs to get their shit together because we need a Justice League movie like this.

It was interesting how the character who got the most laughs, oohs, ahs, and straight up applause in my theater was the Hulk. Maybe because this was the first movie where his role wasn't to be really sad and sympathetic, but to wreck the shit out of shit. He stole the final battle.
same in my theater

I didn't go to a very crowded theater, but I went to the midnight release so everyone who went was really dedicated to the film - we had people in costume and everything, as I'm sure many of you did too.

Avengers was brilliant. I love Joss Whedon, and his dialogue was the clincher for me. I have never laughed so hard during a superhero movie before, but the amount of sass he puts in and the amount of witty one-liners in the film was just amazing.

Hulk stole the show in general - that and Tony Snark having a sass-off with Loki.

Amazing film. At the moment I wouldn't hesitate to call it one of the best superhero films I've ever seen. There were a few flaws, but all minor, and many of them aren't even a fault of the movie itself, but rather of the superhero genre (and those faults are quite superficial as is).

Avengers. Hooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy ssssssshhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt that was just... So fucking good. Please, someone make a GIF of Hulk throwing Loki around like a rag doll. There was not a single person who didn't go ballistic after that.

is there anyone who has seen avengers who isn't a marvel fan? i haven't liked many of their movies, and i know enough about marvel to tell when they've done something wrong. iron man was good and first class was pretty cool, i just want to know if i would enjoy avengers more in theaters or what, especially since movie tickets are expensive nowadays. also would i have to see iron man 2/thor/etc to catch up or does the avengers deviate enough from those to make sense without them?

i'm a huge DC fan though and i will be at dark knight for midnight.

i am also excited for brave because pixar and it comes out on my birthday and i will be in disneyland on that day. stellar combo.

did anyone see indie game: the movie last night? it was a satellite broadcast with live Q and A. a documentary about the production of fez, super meat boy, and braid. i thought it was very good save for some corny indie bits (obviously).

I'll chime in with everyone else and say The Avengers was a great movie. Went to see the midnight showing with a group of friends and it was fantastic. Like Fiedler said, the Hulk was probably the one who generated the most applause.

What made me laugh was when every time we got a view of Scarlett Johansson's ass, the guys in the theater would go "Wooooooooooooooo!"

The Avengers was awesome. It honestly didn't even need to have a plot and I still would've watched like 4 hours of it.

the only thing was that there were tons of tweens/teens with their mothers and they laughed for so long after the funny lines that you couldn't hear anything for like a minute after. then there were the obnoxious teenagers who think it's funny to mock them.

midnight premiering spiderman and tdkr for sure

Well it's hard to argue that a movie is perfect Seneschal, but I don't think it had any problems. Last year Fox raised the bar for ensemble movies, this year Marvel broke the bar completely. Now DC needs to get their shit together because we need a Justice League movie like this.
Sure, I agree it's hard to make a case that any movie is perfect. [VERY MILD SPOILERS AHEAD] My main quibble with The Avengers though is the fact that the bad guys were rather generic and weren't really fleshed out at all other than 'hey look, we're really evil'. I'd argue that in the end this doesn't matter too much, as Loki was the primary antagonist and the film was much more about the superheroes themselves and their struggles to work together than the threat of the alien invasion. I'd agree with the other comments in this thread that this is probably the funniest superhero movie, and one of the funniest blockbusters that I've ever seen.

is there anyone who has seen avengers who isn't a marvel fan? i haven't liked many of their movies, and i know enough about marvel to tell when they've done something wrong. iron man was good and first class was pretty cool, i just want to know if i would enjoy avengers more in theaters or what, especially since movie tickets are expensive nowadays. also would i have to see iron man 2/thor/etc to catch up or does the avengers deviate enough from those to make sense without them?
I don't think that seeing all of the preceding films is necessary to enjoy The Avengers, but it would probably help in many instances to understand certain jokes/callbacks/plot points. There are a few bits of the movie that I don't think I would have enjoyed so much if I hadn't seen Iron Man, Thor or Captain America, so I'd recommend watching them beforehand if you can. That said, I haven't seen Iron Man 2 and a lot of people say that that was pretty much a 2 hour trailer for this film, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

is there anyone who has seen avengers who isn't a marvel fan? i haven't liked many of their movies, and i know enough about marvel to tell when they've done something wrong. iron man was good and first class was pretty cool, i just want to know if i would enjoy avengers more in theaters or what, especially since movie tickets are expensive nowadays. also would i have to see iron man 2/thor/etc to catch up or does the avengers deviate enough from those to make sense without them?.
a friend of mine who came with us at midnight said he usually doesn't like marvel movies but he enjoyed the avengers, so take that as you will.

as far as the previous movies, plotwise, thor and captain america are the two you should probably watch first. the primary antagonist in the avengers is loki who was also the antagonist in thor and the plot is based around the tesseract which first appeared in captain america. the plot makes sense without them, but they help explain the background of the characters.

iron man 2 introduces scarlett as the black widow but other than that you won't really -need- to see that or the incredible hulk but of course watching all of them first enhances the avengers experience!

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
My main quibble with The Avengers though is the fact that the bad guys were rather generic and weren't really fleshed out at all other than 'hey look, we're really evil'.
You had Loki who was a good character and the army who did their job of making the final battle one of the best in film history. I had heard a critic say prior "Can't we do something more original than have a war in a city?" but the enemy was visually unique and presented unique challenges to each different hero. They were pretty unprecedented.

So the mothership disabling them kind of hurts this theory (but doesn't have to destroy it). But those were Skrulls. Yeah, the movie tried to be cute and pass them off as non-shapechanging warriors, but why? Was it a mistake? Remember, the portal has been opened, there was mass confusion, and the next movie will involve their real leader (apparently Thanos). I think the next movie is going to involve a more secret invasion...

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
In Millar's Ultimates, the Chitauri actually refer to themselves as the Skrulls - they say it's just one of the many names that they are known as throughout the universe - and the avengers movie was inspired by Millar's Ultimates moreso than any other comic so it's a safe assumption. also am i the only one who thought, for a second, that that post-credits alien dude looked was baron zemo :$

as far as the previous movies, plotwise, thor and captain america are the two you should probably watch first. the primary antagonist in the avengers is loki who was also the antagonist in thor and the plot is based around the tesseract which first appeared in captain america. the plot makes sense without them, but they help explain the background of the characters.
i heard thor was ok but good things about the captain. i know enough about thor/loki to get me by, i try to keep up because i have friends who are big fans. i'll give captain america a shot and go from there. if anything i'll see avengers next week.

i did see iron man but i don't think i'd want to sit through iron man 2 if it is what everyone says it is. i am caught up with black widow as far as i know, another friend of mine is very fond of her so i do my best to get familiar.

Something completely unrelated to The Avengers - Intouchables. I don't know if it's shown in most American/British cinemas, since it's a French movie and all, but if you get the chance to go see it, do so. Honestly, you won't regret it one second. It's truly touching at times, and then the next minute absolutely hilarious. Better than The Avengers, if you ask me - and that says quite something.

You had Loki who was a good character and the army who did their job of making the final battle one of the best in film history. I had heard a critic say prior "Can't we do something more original than have a war in a city?" but the enemy was visually unique and presented unique challenges to each different hero. They were pretty unprecedented.

So the mothership disabling them kind of hurts this theory (but doesn't have to destroy it). But those were Skrulls. Yeah, the movie tried to be cute and pass them off as non-shapechanging warriors, but why? Was it a mistake? Remember, the portal has been opened, there was mass confusion, and the next movie will involve their real leader (apparently Thanos). I think the next movie is going to involve a more secret invasion...
according to wikipedia, Chris Evans signed on to play Captain America in 6 movies - a Captain America trilogy and an Avengers trilogy imo, therefore:

I think the guy bowing down to Thanos (Loki's superior in this movie) will be the primary antagonist in the Avengers 2, and Thanos would then be the primary antagonist in the Avengers 3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)