Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should be able to say nigga in public chat. As a member of the african american community, my ancestors have suffered hearing that word from your people while getting whipped, and now that we've claimed it as our own, we can't use it? Not cool my nigga, not cool.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I should be able to say nigga in public chat. As a member of the african american community, my ancestors have suffered hearing that word from your people while getting whipped, and now that we've claimed it as our own, we can't use it? Not cool my nigga, not cool.
Some people consider it offensive. If you use it excessively, you will be reprimanded/muted, like with swearing.

...hahahaha

but really I don't give a shit what words you choose to use, it's the context that leads to moderative action. "what's up my nigga" will get nothing from me. "you're a dirty (BAN ME PLEASE)" will get you muted. think before you type, and you should be fine.

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Same thing as blarajan except dont give that ancestor bullshit race card. You didnt get whipped now did you?

Im black and find that word very offensive.

Dusk209

No relation.
Not sure if this has been suggested before, but:
Move the hp number somewhere next to the hp percentage, not in the corner of the screen.

Someone else mentioned this in the chat earlier, quote was something along the lines of-

"There's ~900 people online, 200 battles, and about 75 people using chat [more like 25, 75 is a bit of a stretch]. Maybe there should be an AFK kicker so that if you don't battle or chat every five minutes, you get removed from the server. It would really speed things up"

While I'm not sure about how they figured out how many people were online or how many battles were active (it's probably pretty easy, I just don't bother looking for that stuff), it's a good idea. I think there would need to be some way to tell if they're teambuilding or something, because I certainly wouldn't want to lose my team because the server thought I was AFK, or possibly just a timer larger than 5 minutes. Either way, suggestion- automatic removal from the server after being completely inactive for some time.

So, this was something I brought up last night on PS!, and it was somewhat well-received, so I figured I should post it here.

Lots of people who come to PS! want to jump right into battling with their favorite Pokemon, but sadly, the ones not from Smogon don't know competitive battling, so they can't really have fun unless they learn it.

What I'm proposing is a non-competitive tier for people who don't want to learn battling and just want to play with their favorite Pokemon. Although introducing people to competitive battling is nice, not everyone is eager to learn it, and just want to battle.

Now, you're probably thinking, "But wouldn't competitive people just take over the tier by playing competitively?" Well, they could, BUT:

• The IVs/Evs could be randomized and couldn't be set manually
  • Many competitive items could be banned (Choice items, Life Orb, Focus Sash, etc)
  • Natures couldn't be set manually
  • It would be given random moves from the list of the Pokemon's learn-able moveset

This would make sure that the Pokemon are like Pokemon actually from the game, which would make it fun for people not interested in competitive battling.

tl;dr: We could create a Challenge Cup-like tier where you get to choose your Pokemon for new people/casual players.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The thing is, Pokemon Showdown doens't really want to encourage this kind of playing. This is a competitive pokemon sim made for competitive battling. If people wish to avoid the competitive aspect of battling, they are free to do so with each other via challenges.

The thing is, Pokemon Showdown doens't really want to encourage this kind of playing. This is a competitive pokemon sim made for competitive battling. If people wish to avoid the competitive aspect of battling, they are free to do so with each other via challenges.
But that's a major hassle to find people who don't want to, and then set up the battle. There's over 700 people daily on PS.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But that's a major hassle to find people who don't want to, and then set up the battle. There's over 700 people daily on PS.
Still, under your system, you'd have to create basically a whole seperate teambuilder just for that one tier. And seeing as that tier wouldn't be competitively based anyway, there's really no point in putting in the effort when Pokemon Showdown! is a competitively based program.

Still, under your system, you'd have to create basically a whole seperate teambuilder just for that one tier. And seeing as that tier wouldn't be competitively based anyway, there's really no point in putting in the effort when Pokemon Showdown! is a competitively based program.
There wouldn't be a need to make a whole new team builder hopefully. Just use the same one with some small modifications.

And even though PS is competitive, not everyone on it is. Some people might actually want to go there for just battling normally. Me, for example, the fact that I had to learn so much stuff just to battle on there correctly wasn't very appealing, but I didn't have a choice if I wanted to use it. My idea is for people like me who come to the server expecting it to be simple fun battling but then find out that it's not and they have to learn a bunch of stuff to use it right.

mkizzy

formerly kenny
I completely disagree Gengan, it's a competitive battling sim, and of course people new to competitive battling join. Then they learn, if they don't want to competitively battle they leave. The closest thing to your idea (randomized IVs/EVs, etcetc) is Challenge Cup.

Relados

fractactical genius
I completely disagree Gengan, it's a competitive battling sim, and of course people new to competitive battling join. Then they learn, if they don't want to competitively battle they leave. The closest thing to your idea (randomized IVs/EVs, etcetc) is Challenge Cup.
I think the only way Gengan's idea would work if it was a Challenge Cup where you could choose your pokemon (but moves and items would still be randomized).

I think the only way Gengan's idea would work if it was a Challenge Cup where you could choose your pokemon (but moves and items would still be randomized).
That's pretty much what I'm asking for.

I know it's a competitive battling sim, but let's think about those people who still want to play but don't want to learn. Shouldn't we give them an option? I mean, honestly, I'd love to play OU without worrying about the usual STRATEGYSTRATEGYRAINTEAMBLAHBLAHBLAH stuff.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Gengan, the idea of "random battles but you pick your pokemon" is actually a pretty good idea. PS has always tried to support both casual users and hardcore users.

However, it would require some teambuilder customization and other work. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to work on something like this.

I'm also unsure about just how much interest there would be in it. I suspect that PS's current userbase are largely hardcore players, given that its current popularity comes largely from Smogon. I don't think the casual users this format would be targeting would currently be using PS, so such an endeavor would require some sort of awareness/PR push.

In short, it's something that would take quite a bit of work, so while this is something very interesting to think about, in the short term, other features will take priority.

Gengan, the idea of "random battles but you pick your pokemon" is actually a pretty good idea. PS has always tried to support both casual users and hardcore users.

However, it would require some teambuilder customization and other work. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to work on something like this.

I'm also unsure about just how much interest there would be in it. I suspect that PS's current userbase are largely hardcore players, given that its current popularity comes largely from Smogon. I don't think the casual users this format would be targeting would currently be using PS, so such an endeavor would require some sort of awareness/PR push.

In short, it's something that would take quite a bit of work, so while this is something very interesting to think about, in the short term, other features will take priority.
Yeah, I guess your right... It was worth a shot. I don't really know how much effort things like this could take since I'm a tech-idiot.

It would be cool if a Threat list of some sort could be implemented to the side, or note pad to check off threats seen in an opponents team.

Dusk209

No relation.
For suggested ev spreads:

When making an offensive pokemon, you should (almost) always have a speed-bosting nature. PS always picks a power-boosting nature for sweepers, which is less useful.
When making a defensive pokemon with gyro ball, you should pick a speed lowering nature. PS does not do this in it's suggested spreads.

It would be cool if a Threat list of some sort could be implemented to the side, or note pad to check off threats seen in an opponents team.
That's pretty easy to do manually and it'd just take up too much space on the PS teambuilder. A threat list for each tier can be seen here.

Also, it'd be awesome if replays could be implemented soon. It's obviously a feature that people really love, judging from the 2011 Smog awards. If replays were implemented in Pokemon Showdown, it'd be a huge help for tournaments, warstories, providing a log of a battle when you're QC'ing something, etc. Hopefully this can be added ASAP.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For suggested ev spreads:

When making an offensive pokemon, you should (almost) always have a speed-bosting nature. PS always picks a power-boosting nature for sweepers, which is less useful.
I haven't experienced this. When testing it out today, the Suggested EV Spreads (shorten that to SEVS?) for all-out attacking and Nasty Plot were both Speed boosting natures. Same for things with Bulk Up and Swords Dance. Though for things like Rock Polish and Choice Scarf Pokemon, the SEVS boosted Attack or Special Attack.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
PS usually picks a speed-boosting nature for a sweeper with no other speed boost, but a power-boosting nature for a sweeper with something like Unburden or Dragon Dance or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)