Official MLB 2012 Season Thread

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
O-R-I-O-L-E-S Orioles!

Watching these games is so stressful but I love it. I'm still worried about game 5, but anything can happen.

Meanwhile Nationals also got to a game 5. My hopes for a beltway World Series still live.

(also not MLB related but the Steelers lost, its a good day in Baltimore)

Also A-Rod again lol.

O-R-I-O-L-E-S Orioles!

Watching these games is so stressful but I love it. I'm still worried about game 5, but anything can happen.

Meanwhile Nationals also got to a game 5. My hopes for a beltway World Series still live.

(also not MLB related but the Steelers lost, its a good day in Baltimore)

Also A-Rod again lol.
I'd say the Yankees chances are still higher despite their offensive woes, because Baltimore's offense hasn't really been any better. Yankees probably have the edge because Sabathia is better than either Hammel or Tillman honestly, but clearly anything is possible at this point!

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I agree with you, which is why I said I was worried about game 5. I said even before game 4 that I was worried about CC going in game 5 with our bullpen worn down, and the extra innings tonight only reinforces that thought. I wouldn't be surprised to see (assuming Hammel starts) Tillman pitch an inning or two in relief to keep him fresh, and because he should be able to go through the line-up once before running into any major issues. I still think (despite the nice Ibanez move in game 3) that the edge between managers goes to the Orioles, and, in an all-or-nothing game, I think that could be key. I clearly am worried but I am trying to think positive.

I agree with you, which is why I said I was worried about game 5. I said even before game 4 that I was worried about CC going in game 5 with our bullpen worn down, and the extra innings tonight only reinforces that thought. I wouldn't be surprised to see (assuming Hammel starts) Tillman pitch an inning or two in relief to keep him fresh, and because he should be able to go through the line-up once before running into any major issues. I still think (despite the nice Ibanez move in game 3) that the edge between managers goes to the Orioles, and, in an all-or-nothing game, I think that could be key. I clearly am worried but I am trying to think positive.
As a Baltimore Ravens fan, I'm kind of an Orioles fan on the side so at least I still have something to root for! I honestly think having both Hammel and Tillman available could be a great asset...if you REALLY have to, you could have Hammel go 5 and Tillman go 3 or something in relief. Meanwhile, you just have to hope your lineup can hit Sabathia.

Hey.... Hey Wikey? What was that... What did you say about the Paper thin (or whatever it was) Tigers and losing to the A's? Yeah... About that... We got this pitcher named Justin Verlander.... He kind of shut the A's down....

Edit: MAN, all four series going to game five.... This is probably the best LDS in the history of the LDS.... Some Epic October baseball, we can all agree? Also... WTC, how did the Yankees not get primetime tonight? Not only does it shock me because they always get Primetime, but looking at the composite scores, Yankees-O's has literally been the closest series as well. That's something I'd want to watch at 8pm

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is how I felt standing in that stadium from the 7th on:

The Yankees did not deserve to win that game based on the horrid offensive performance they showed. And they wasted a great pitching effort by Hughes too. GG Baltimore.

Hey.... Hey Wikey? What was that... What did you say about the Paper thin (or whatever it was) Tigers and losing to the A's? Yeah... About that... We got this pitcher named Justin Verlander.... He kind of shut the A's down....

Edit: MAN, all four series going to game five.... This is probably the best LDS in the history of the LDS.... Some Epic October baseball, we can all agree? Also... WTC, how did the Yankees not get primetime tonight? Not only does it shock me because they always get Primetime, but looking at the composite scores, Yankees-O's has literally been the closest series as well. That's something I'd want to watch at 8pm
Too bad you guys are the underdogs in every game he doesn't pitch because your team underperforms like crazy.

Not saying my team doesn't underperform too, but the Tigers are just embarrassing sometimes.

Yeah, I called them the Paper Tigers. It's an old Chinese (I think) expression meaning something that looks scary but can't actually hurt you. I just dont see what they have other than a few home run hitters and Verlander. They made the playoffs with the worst record even though they should have an inflated record from beating up their division.

Tigers having a worse record this year is the result of their unbelievably terribad record in one run games. Our "underachieving" had more to do with luck more than everything. Had we won half our one runs games, the division pennant wouldn't had been close at all.

Tigers having a worse record this year is the result of their unbelievably terribad record in one run games. Our "underachieving" had more to do with luck more than everything. Had we won half our one runs games, the division pennant wouldn't had been close at all.
One run games are not "luck". They come down to clutch hitting and bullpen pitching, something the Tigers are shit at in both areas.

One run games are not "luck". They come down to clutch hitting and bullpen pitching, something the Tigers are shit at in both areas.
Tigers were first in BA with RISP (Or was it BABIP?) last I checked and had a darn good bullpen.... WTC you talkin' about? One run games come down to one team beating the other on one more play. The Tigers got beat on one more play more times for me to say it was the fault of the Tigers. Most of the Sabermetric guys in my community agree luck was a key factor against the Tigers this year. Our record in one run games? 18-27, good for a clip of 40%. At 50%? Our record would be 92-70. Heck, look at the Orioles and their ridiculous record in one run games. Try telling me that wasn't luck...

Tigers were first in BA with RISP last I checked and had a darn good bullpen.... WTC you talkin' about? One run games come down to one team beating the other on one more play. The Tigers got beat on one more play more times for me to say it was the fault of the Tigers. Most of the Sabermetric guys in my community agree luck was a key factor against the Tigers this year. Our record in one run games? 18-27, good for a clip of 40%. At 50%? Our record would be 92-70. Heck, look at the Orioles and their ridiculous record in one run games. Try telling me that wasn't luck...
The Orioles WEREN'T luck lol, they have one of the best bullpens in baseball and clutch hitters. The Tigers bullpen is exceedingly mediocre, I have no damn clue how you can think you have a "darn good bullpen". Jose Valverde is probably one of the worst closers in baseball, his miraculous year where he didn't blow a save or something was a crazy anomaly.

One-run games are not entirely luck, but there is a significant element of randomness involved. Often teams that severely over- or underperform their run differential are subject to regression to the mean. A good bullpen and good clutch hitting can help minimize the amount of regression a team suffers, but relievers fluctuate a lot, and cannot be depended upon year-to-year. Generally there are very few relievers who are consistently among the top in the game; those who are usually make the Hall of Fame: the likes of Fingers, Gossage, and Rivera. Currently there are only a few relievers who I'd trust to consistently be at the top: Kimbrel, Papelbon, and Aroldis Chapman. Clutch hitting is also unreliable year-to-year, albeit less so than reliever performance, but enough to make a difference.

On a side note, Craig Kimbrel's 2-seam fastball is ridiculous. Every time I see him on TV it looks like Mariano's cutter, plus a couple miles per hour.

Laughing. My. Fucking. Ass. Off.

What a wonderful playoffs. The four teams left includes my three least favorite teams, and then one that's pretty close to the bottom. I'm not even watching anymore baseball this season, this is just pathetic.

I don't really watch baseball at all other than some games in the postseason. I watched this cuz I was bored...6-0, so I turned it off. I put it back on later and I was like, "oh, the nationals will win; they can't choke this hard". CARDINALS too good.

Just once.

Just fucking once could the umpires be on our fucking side? Or at least not actively jobbing us?

This loss is 100% Davey's fault (did he have a stroke this morning?) but we might have survived if the ump had called anything resembling a fair strike zone. Or at least s consistent but unfair one. Storen had a fucking entire strike out called a walk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)