Official MLB 2012 Season Thread

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ITT, Red Sox fans try to find something salvageable for this joke of a season/team. Maybe worry about your own team's affairs instead of going "LOL YANKEES LOST". I know I couldn't really give a shit about any other teams, but rather how MY team is going to improve going forward.

In any case, I'm at least looking forward to watching a decently played World Series. It'll no doubt be better than the drivel I've had to endure during the ALDS/ALCS.

In theory, baseball should have the lowest probability of the best team not winning since they have the fewest playoff teams and a seven game series, as well as the longest regular season so bad teams can't luck out into the playoffs. Football on the other hand only has 16 games, so a bad team can make the playoffs, and each game is a one game series. I'd hardly say the best team wins in Football either, since the Giants won last year. If anything basketball is the sport where the best team wins (Heat last year, the Mavs were a very good team the year before, and the the Lakers and Celtics). If you ask me, high scoring sports tend to have the better team winning, since anything can happen with one hit in baseball, while one shot means much less in basketball.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A bit of the flukiness in baseball comes from the extra off days in the postseason, which gives your bullpen extra rest and allows you to go to a four-man rotation (or even a three man rotation on short rest). Still, it's not really any more fluky than any other sport in my opinion. Hockey is pretty obviously the flukiest (hot goalies can carry a team, 8 seeds beat 1 seeds relatively often, etc). Regarding the Cardinals, the addition of Chris Carpenter certainly helps them.

Regarding A-Rod, one of the reporters on ESPN said, as a free agent, he would currently get a 1 year, $5 million deal. It is pretty obvious that if the Yankees trade him, they would eat most of his contract.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
lol @ J-Man getting banned

Anyways, can't wait for the World Series, the Tigers just downright outplayed us and I feel like they'll prob win the WS because of Verlander, he looks unhittable atm, and both STL or SF will find it hard to hit him. Because they swept the Yankees, he'll have plenty of rest to start 2 games in the WS, maybe even 3 if it goes to a game 7. Sorry NL, but the AL is gonna take back the WS Title.

lol @ J-Man getting banned

Anyways, can't wait for the World Series, the Tigers just downright outplayed us and I feel like they'll prob win the WS because of Verlander, he looks unhittable atm, and both STL or SF will find it hard to hit him. Because they swept the Yankees, he'll have plenty of rest to start 2 games in the WS, maybe even 3 if it goes to a game 7. Sorry NL, but the AL is gonna take back the WS Title.
Let's keep in mind that all Verlander has had to go through so far is a poor hitting Athletics lineup and an EXTREMELY cold Yankees lineup. I'm DEFINITELY not saying Verlander is going to get crushed, but the Cardinals are an entirely different beast to face, especially if he's going against them in St. Louis.

I think that the Tigers should really hope the Giants pull out a comeback, because I think the Cardinals are a superior team and will win the World Series if they make it there (unfortunately).

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Remember the A's were hot going into the Playoffs, but Verlander set the tone in Game One with his 11K game, and I won't comment on the Yankees, but Verlander is just as hot as the Cardinals or Giants if they win this series, so I don't see them winning the WS.

JS, the reason the Tigers were even in the ALCS was because of Verlander, winning both of his starts, so don't write off the Tigers just yet.

Remember the A's were hot going into the Playoffs, but Verlander set the tone in Game One with his 11K game, and I won't comment on the Yankees, but Verlander is just as hot as the Cardinals or Giants if they win this series, so I don't see them winning the WS.

JS, the reason the Tigers were even in the ALCS was because of Verlander, winning both of his starts, so don't write off the Tigers just yet.
This is why I don't think they'll win the World Series. They can't have Verlander pitching four games, they can only have him in two. That's only two wins for the Tigers. Scherzer is awesome but certainly no guarantee, and he's shown he can get destroyed when earlier in the season he had an ERA of like 5 iirc. I don't even know the other Tigers starters...I just think the Cardinals have a weird aura of destiny while the Tigers don't quite have enough...in other words, I think the Cardinals are better than the Tigers in every aspect besides starting pitching =/ I really hope the Tigers win though, don't get me wrong.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Or maybe we'll both be wrong and the Giants will somehow win everything, wouldn't that be nice :)

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
THANK YOU BASED GIANTS

Still gonna be rooting for the Tigers though. Giants won the year before and I don't really wanna root for them anyway because they robbed my Reds. But at least they aren't the Cardinals. :] I look down on the Tigers a bit for joining the high-payroll club this year but otherwise I don't have anything against them.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
THANK YOU BASED GIANTS

Still gonna be rooting for the Tigers though. Giants won the year before and I don't really wanna root for them anyway because they robbed my Reds. But at least they aren't the Cardinals. :] I look down on the Tigers a bit for joining the high-payroll club this year but otherwise I don't have anything against them.
I dislike the Tigers exclusively cause of J-man

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry to double post, but guys

Didn't you think that MAYBE Ozzie would get another year

not even a smudgein?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With all that money they spent on players, teams like the Marlins and Red Sox need to win now to get an ROI. I don't think Ozzie has been good in the last couple of years, he probably deserved another year, but I can completely understand why they got rid of him.

ITT, Red Sox fans try to find something salvageable for this joke of a season/team. Maybe worry about your own team's affairs instead of going "LOL YANKEES LOST". I know I couldn't really give a shit about any other teams, but rather how MY team is going to improve going forward.
People hold opinions about two different baseball teams? HOW DARE THEY? We aren't trying to find something salvageable, that ship sailed long ago. We are just laughing at the Yankees, like pretty much every other baseball fan.

The Yankees suck. Especially this year's team. They were one loss away from a 2011-redsoxian collapse and shouldn't have even made the playoffs. Then they put up that performance? They deserve to be criticized. Although according to your reasoning, nobody can criticize the Yankees except Yankee fans because everyone should be concerned about THEIR team. Because seriously, who couldn't love a team whose 60% full stadium boos the 300 million dollar player?

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not saying people can't have different opinions, but to go on saying that the Yankees were that awful when they had the best record in the American League and the Red Sox finished 7th from the bottom in all of MLB is just ridiculous. Don't really know why that was such a hard concept to grasp.

I'm not saying people can't have different opinions, but to go on saying that the Yankees were that awful when they had the best record in the American League and the Red Sox finished 7th from the bottom in all of MLB is just ridiculous. Don't really know why that was such a hard concept to grasp.
It's okay, jrrrrrrr is even more of a dick than me.

Aaaaand I just really wish Jman was still here so we could laugh in his face.

These announcers suck... So bad... I've never really disliked Buck like some people, but come on... Barry Manilow...? Someone fly in Vin Scully and fire these asses...

This is almost as bad as watching YES...

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Aaaaand I just really wish Jman was still here so we could laugh in his face.
We should unban him just for this purpose, then ban him again before he can respond, y/y?

These announcers suck... So bad... I've never really disliked Buck like some people, but come on... Barry Manilow...? Someone fly in Vin Scully and fire these asses...

This is almost as bad as watching YES...
Oh I see what you did there <.<

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)