Official MLB 2012 Season Thread

"Tigers having a worse record this year is the result of their unbelievably terribad record in one run games. Our "underachieving" had more to do with luck more than everything. Had we won half our one runs games, the division pennant wouldn't had been close at all." - J-man
All right... You win... too tired to care really... Should have just pointed out the injuries as well...

his best is a no hitter so technically he wasn't at his best
The way this was phrased has nothing to do with that, this phrased it as if he were having a bad night, a shaky performance, so you are just being unfunny and lame. Even were none of that true, a better performance than tonight would involve better luck more likely than it would involve being better, and the difference is statistically absolutely irrelevant.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Put words in my mouth why dontja. There were injuries that also cost the Tigers wins as well. Not having Doug Fister healthy for the whole season made life difficult. Contributors from last year regressed beyond what was expected of them to regress.

Half our starting pitchers were on the DL for most of the year and we'd had most of our important players on the DL at some stage in the season. You guys were pretty healthy all year lol so that's no excuse when most teams can't say the same. Having said that, you've caught fire at the right time, and I hope you sweep the Yankees!

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well, at least we weren't shutout <.<

Unless we turn into the 04 Red Shit Sox, we better start planning for next year

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think I've ever watched a worse game from a team facing elimination. I knew they were going to cash it in, but 8-1? Holleeeyyy sheettttt

Congrats Detroit, they really earned it in these playoffs.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
At least there's next year

Please make this Marlins trade talks be true, just to have something to cheer about.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Fuck the Yankees.

The Red Sox season is now complete.
yes because a 69-93 season is a much better outcome than winning the division, winning a series in the playoffs, then losing your captain to injury

not that i dont enjoy a nice bit of Schadenfreude once in a while

ps: unless Loria is more stupid than he looks (which is entirely possible), Arod won't be traded unless the Yankees eat at least 80 million of his contract. if Arod was a free agent i doubt any team would pay more than like, maybe 8 million per year TOPS for a 3rd baseman/dh who is clearly declining.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
People seriously hate the Cardinals? Because they're "not a top 5 team"? Guess what? They are a top 4 team and they were a top 1 team last year. Statements like that really annoy me, and this is coming from someone who has to deal with NYGiants fans.

People seriously hate the Cardinals? Because they're "not a top 5 team"? Guess what? They are a top 4 team and they were a top 1 team last year. Statements like that really annoy me, and this is coming from someone who has to deal with NYGiants fans.
I'm a Reds fan [/explanation]

Playoffs in baseball generally don't mean that they are top 1 - baseball is the sport in which the most random variance occurs and this is highlighted even more so in smaller sample sizes.

Unless Game 6 last year or Game 5 this year weren't complete flukes, that is.

The playoffs in baseball are literally the least accurate depictions of the three major sports of who the "best teams" really are. It literally comes down to who is "hotter" than everyone else. Robinson Cano is not a fucking sub .200 hitter, but the facts are that he hit a cold streak in the playoffs so he sucked dick and so did his team. The Cardinals won the World Series last year because they were on a ridiculous high after miraculously making the playoffs in the first place and they rode their excitement and hot bats to some extremely undeserved wins against superior teams (literally every team the Cards went through last season was superior).

It is so ridiculously satisfying as a Red Sox fan to watch the Yankees get utterly dominated like that. It was almost worth a season of Bobby Valentine to watch.

The playoffs in baseball are literally the least accurate depictions of the three major sports of who the "best teams" really are. It literally comes down to who is "hotter" than everyone else. Robinson Cano is not a fucking sub .200 hitter, but the facts are that he hit a cold streak in the playoffs so he sucked dick and so did his team. The Cardinals won the World Series last year because they were on a ridiculous high after miraculously making the playoffs in the first place and they rode their excitement and hot bats to some extremely undeserved wins against superior teams (literally every team the Cards went through last season was superior).
That's total bullshit, ALL playoffs come down to who is the hotter team. You think the one game playoffs in football or march madness have less variance? You think that because they let the 8-seeds in in basketball and hockey, it somehow gives more credibility to whomever wins?

That's total bullshit, ALL playoffs come down to who is the hotter team. You think the one game playoffs in football or march madness have less variance? You think that because they let the 8-seeds in in basketball and hockey, it somehow gives more credibility to whomever wins?
Did you watch March Madness last year? Yep, the best team won. There are, of course, outliers, but usually the team best built for March Madness wins.

In MOST NFL playoffs, the best team wins (obviously 2007 and stuff are outliers).

In the MLB playoffs though, the best team almost never wins. Go through the history. It's outrageous. It's all about being "hot".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)