Pokémon Design Misconceptions

Here's hoping someone can relate to this

So back when the Pokemon TCG Gameboy game came out and I was playing it (while also collecting the cards), Jungle Pidgeot had me really confused.

With the low-res blown-up image and the busy mock-holographic background I really couldn't make out what the hell I was looking at. I kept thinking it was an angel, with the brown part of the top wing being its head. The feathers of both wings totally look like long blond hair flowing as the angel's flying towards the top-right corner.

For anyone who can't see the real Pidgeot in that picture, here is a scan of the actual Jungle Pidgeot.

^ I can see Pidgeot just fine, it's just a bit too pixelated, which is why you probably couldn't figure out how it looks like.

It's interesting btw that it has Hurricane, a move it received in Gen V. Such a hipster, that Pidgeot.

It's interesting btw that it has Hurricane, a move it received in Gen V. Such a hipster, that Pidgeot.
Yeah, there are several moves that somehow appeared in the TCG way before the games, like Destiny Bond, Psyshock, Hurricane and probably a couple more.

yeah, I've heard about this before, and I really like it. ever since it's been how I've thought of speed. the only thing is that theoretically then fast pokemon would be better at dodging attacks due to a better reaction time, but alas it isn't perfect
Spped actually does help you evade attacks in pokemon conquest.

Not really a design misconception per se, but it always irked me how some Pokémon (i.e. Escavalier) were said to be able to move at great speeds, although their Speed stat is kinda terrible. You hear about Pidgeot flying at Mach 2, yet it is outsped by stuff like Persian, Miltank and even Magmar. Then it dawned on me: the speed stat reflects reaction speed, not top speed.

It even explains Slow Start. Regigigas, having just woken up from its slumber, is still tired and confused during the first few turns of battle, and it takes some time to fully realize what's going on around it.
I've always thought this. The problem is: what is trick room?
Then again, how does trick room work anyway?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^I don't know, but if somebody managed to make a good artist's conception, it would probably be a pretty solid entry in the current MAC.

Also, I've always perceived Pokémon as more offensively oriented than defensive. If they were to use their supreme reaction speed to dodge, they wouldn't be able to fire off an attack. Instead, they prioritize attacking, preferring to take the blow and retaliate rather than jump aside and lose a turn. Or something. Anyway's it's pretty clear that the Speed stat does not represent maximum velocity of movement. Perhaps it refers to acceleration (which can be tied well in with reaction speed - it's not always about detecting the opponent's move, but also about being physically able to respond to it and/or attack first).

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I have completely figured out trick room:

The user of trick room attempts to sing the Jigglypuff song, they do it pretty well, however they do not sing it will enough to put the opponents to sleep, they sing it well enough though to make the opponents very tired and as such have slower reaction speeds. The slow pokemon do not speed up, they are only faster in comparison to the faster pokemon who are sped down.

^Then how do you explain it when more than 2 Pokemon are on the field?

For example, if Bronzong uses Trick Room while Munchlax, Pikachu, and Ninjask are on the field, then Ninjask becomes slower than Pikachu, who becomes slower than Bronzong, who becomes slower than Munchlax.

The anime had some weird 'teleportation' mechanic going on when Trick Room was used, but that doesn't really explain it either.

^Yup, it's like this:

Trick Room in the anime creates this sort of enclosure that warps space within it. They never go into detail exactly how this works, just that slow Pokemon move much faster than normal (to the point that they're practically teleporting around inside it). I'm sure there's a very Star Treky explanation about reversing the laws of physics and motion, but just think of it as a "magic box" cuz that's all we're given.

I used to think that Lenora's badge was a cigarette at first xD Only after I played Black through the second time I realised it was meant to represent the spine of a book.

Speaking of badges, don't you guys think that the second badge from Hoenn looks like a racket with a little ball?

And the 3rd one from Hoenn as well looks like the superior view of a scarecrow lol.

Alright, I CAN'T be the only one that thought Slowbro evolved into Slowking. It just looked like it would. Every other Poke that had "King" in their name were the last in their family's evolutionary line, so I thought Slowking was the same way.

Nidoran --> Nidorino --> Nidoking

Slakoth --> Vigoroth --> Slaking

Krabby --> Kingler

Horsea --> Seadra --> Kingdra

Goldeen --> Seaking

Slowpoke --> Slowbro --> Slowking

Alright, I CAN'T be the only one that thought Slowbro evolved into Slowking.
You are not. I'm with you man. Years I thought it was that way.

Speaking of Kingdra, I thought it was named Kindra for years. Probadly because I'm not native english-speaker I didn't notice my mistake.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
I still accidently think of Politoad as a grass type sometimes, simply because it's green
I initially thougth that Politoed was Water/Psychic because of the spiral on its belly.

Oh, if it was really true... At least competitively, being able to use Pursuit (from CB Tyranitar) to OHKO these pesky rain-summoning frogs would be SO good...

When I was little I always thought Golbat in R/B was putting it's 'hand' into its mouth, like it was eating something. It took a while before I realized it had its tongue sticking out.

Also I didn't realize that in R/B Graveler has no feet and that it's hovering. I always thought it lower set of arms were its feet and that it was leaning back in a really stupid way.

Here's links to the sprites, I can't get hold of actual copies.
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/2/23/Spr_1b_042.png
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Spr_1b_075.png

not a Pokemon misconception, but my friends were always convinced Bugsy was a girl.

It blew my mind when they told me then, but when I found out I was right I had the last laugh

I never realized that was a hat and not white anime hair with a headband for years. Doesn't help that the RS artwork has his hair virtually completely covered by the hat and I always play as May.

Red 2013-03-12 20:01:30
mmm i didnt
i used to see http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/f/f4/Spr_b_3r_384.png that third.. uh... spike... thing as one whole lower jaw
i saw it rounded off for the longest time until one day i realized it wasnt connected/one whole thing and i was like woooah

Silver 2013-03-12 20:03:17
third spike?

Red 2013-03-12 20:04:03
the horn thinger
you know how it has four
theres two at the top
and then you can see a third

Silver 2013-03-12 20:04:29
omg

omg

omg

IT WAS MY FIRST GAME AND I NEVER NOTICED

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
TOXICROAK'S TYPING.

I still, up to this day, exactly up to this very moment, cannot for life of me remember its type matches, or even its typing. "Oh fuck, it's Poison/Dark no Poison/Bug wait wasn't it Fighting/Dark or Dark/Bug huh whatever what is it weak to shit I can't use Bullet Punch, it resists it god it's immune to Psychic, how do I beat it wait how much is it taking from Grass Knot and Low Kick huh would Water be SE on it HELP"

Every single time I face one, without failure.

TOXICROAK'S TYPING.

I still, up to this day, exactly up to this very moment, cannot for life of me remember its type matches, or even its typing. "Oh fuck, it's Poison/Dark no Poison/Bug wait wasn't it Fighting/Dark or Dark/Bug huh whatever what is it weak to shit I can't use Bullet Punch, it resists it god it's immune to Psychic, how do I beat it wait how much is it taking from Grass Knot and Low Kick huh would Water be SE on it HELP"

It's Poison/Fighting.... So I have no idea how that happened...

Unless you got tricked by a Zoroark...?

TOXICROAK'S TYPING.

Gen 4 gave us Drapion. Drapion is Poison/Dark.

Every time I face one, I remember it's Bug/Poison because Skorupi. So yeah, it goes down like this

EX used Psychic

It doesn't effect foe Drapion.

"WAIT WHAT? GOD DAMMIT!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)