Pokémon Design Misconceptions

Considering that...

...Yanmega keeps its green face with big red eyes its safe to say its a green face.

I feel like I'm ruining this thread by posting every other post. D:

Considering that...

...Yanmega keeps its green face with big red eyes its safe to say its a green face.

I feel like I'm ruining this thread by posting every other post. D:
Except that it's Pokedex entries (for Yanma) say that the green part IS its eyes. Or at least it's heavily implied.

"Its eyes can see 360 degrees without moving its head. It won't miss prey, even those behind it."

Bulbapedia says the green is all eye too, not face.

Honestly, I wouldn't've called that myself were it not for the evidence. Looking at it that way makes it look even derpier than it already does.

Except that it's Pokedex entries (for Yanma) say that the green part IS its eyes. Or at least it's heavily implied.

"Its eyes can see 360 degrees without moving its head. It won't miss prey, even those behind it."

Bulbapedia says the green is all eye too, not face.

Honestly, I wouldn't've called that myself were it not for the evidence. Looking at it that way makes it look even derpier than it already does.
Now that you do mention it, I've been comparing the two again but green parts of Yanma do become the red eyes of Yanmega. The placement of its mouth (mandibles might be the correct term but I don't anyone cares) does make it look like the eyes aren't alike.

But you're right. It looks so derpy right now. lawl

Yanma's green part is its eyes. It even has those two little shiny dots to indicate it's a lens like Flygon has (also hence the abilities)

I never actually realised it actually has a pretty badass mouth which makes Yanmega's mouth make more sense.

Ok guys I fixed up an Armaldo sprite so that the black&red on its head does not interfere with its "true eyes."

Warning: Cannot unsee.

A dragonfly's face.

The blue part is all eye.

Yanma and Yanmega's design are supposed to fit biologically to the actual living insect, and the eyes are no exception.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This wasn't actually my misconception, but I sent a replay to my friend and she thought there was a glitch on Pokemon Showdown, because it allowed Sandshrew (or was it Sandslash?) to get Poisoned, and she believed they were Ground/Poison.

Along similar lines: I found out a few days ago that Carvanha evolved into Sharpedo. I'd thought all this time that they were more like an Illumise/Volbeat-style pair.

implying that a spine necessarily makes an organism better.

YOU ARE
BACKBONEIST

I AM CALLING THE UNITED OCTOPUS FRONT ON YOU
THEY WILL NOT BE PLEASED WITH YOUR BIGOTRY
What makes octopi so special? You octopoda FAVORITIST! The Congress of Squids will be unhappy!

I always liked the way Crobat was baring its teeth, because I thought it was cooler than sticking its tounge out. Then, Gale of Darkness came along, and suddenly Crobat's teeth are actually a massive underbite.
And I'm sitting there going...
wat

What makes octopi so special? You octopoda FAVORITIST! The Congress of Squids will be unhappy!

I always liked the way Crobat was baring its teeth, because I thought it was cooler than sticking its tounge out. Then, Gale of Darkness came along, and suddenly Crobat's teeth are actually a massive underbite.
And I'm sitting there going...
wat
SQUIDS ARE JUST WIMPY OCTOPII

speaking of crobat...

i use a modified version of this as an icon when i chat with my friends.
i regret nothing.

I'm not sure if this one is just me

Does Yamna have a green face with black eyes, or giant green eyes? I don't know anymore!

I thought the green part was some kind of goggles, sort of like flygon. So its whole head is read with black eyes, and the green thing is transparent and covers its face.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

I always thought that makuhita's cheeks were his eyes, and his eyes were eye-brows. I got the mouth right though :).

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Hahahahaha he looks so derpy that way.
I know, right, but I for one love derpy pokemon so I used to love his design. I only figured out because I noticed his cheeks don't change at all when he sleeps on colosseum, and his actual eyes do. Now I can't unsee the true design which is annoying since I prefer my version! :P

Oh! That reminds me. Even though I read tips online about how to obtain a Pichu with the special move Volt Tackle, it did not occur to me for the longest time that it was actually a species-exclusive move. When I had a Luxray in Diamond/Pearl, I was up at the level 60's, wondering "When will it learn Volt Tackle?" I was then disappointed to learn that Spark was as good as it would get. -__-

Because of the anime, I thought Roselia was combusken-sized. It was not until Roserade made its debut, being smaller than Roselia was in the anime, that I looked up Roselia's true size. I still think of Roselia as being Combusken-sized, and Roserade being Gengar-sized (my own interpretation as just becoming larger.)

SQUIDS ARE JUST WIMPY OCTOPII

speaking of crobat...

i use a modified version of this as an icon when i chat with my friends.
i regret nothing.
The thing that's weird about this is that it's almost solely a thing made up by the modelers. (or maybe the reference sheets had it as a joke?)
No other appearence of Crobat (namely the main games and the anime) except for the Ranger games has the stupid buck teeth.

Looking at Pokedex Pro, it seems they finally fixed this

When Froakie came out, I thought a while it's mustache were it's eyes. I think it looks decent that way too :D (that way it's real eyes are ears)

Also though my entire childhood that Poliwag's mouth was it's nose.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
My first impression of Gardevoir is that she has a really long nose...

Speaking of Dynamicpunch, that move bugged me for many years.

I was 10 or so when I first got a Pokémon game (Crystal). And as I'm not a native English speaker, I had a little trouble understanding the text in the games, never mind pronouncing stuff. So for the longest time, I thought that awesome practically-made-for-Feraligatr-move you got from Chuch was named Dynamitpunch rather than DynamicPunch. Its move animation didn't really help either.

I might have figured it out earlier than I did, if I hadn't deposited my Feraligatr at the Day Care shortly afterwards. The Day Care couple happily replaced DynamicPunch with Slash. As the TM is single-use, and no Pokémon learned the move naturally in Gen. II, I didn't see it spelled out again for many years. After all, all my friends also referred to it as "Dynamitpunch". Even when I put the move on my Machoke in Sapphire, I thought the C was a misspelling. I didn't realize my mistake before I looked it up on the Net. Until then, I didn't know how to spell dynamite in English. In Norwegian it's spelled "dynamitt", and ten-year-olds struggle a bit with double consonants.

I still sometimes find myself wishing for it to be renamed Dynamite Punch. It fits the move animation perfectly, it doesn't clash with the Japanese name (Exploding Punch), and it makes a damn lot more sense than calling an explosion-causing punch "Dynamic".
I was like eleven when I got my Crystal, in Japanese, and my Japanese was so limited that I hardly know what's going on.

Back then I had to count the number of rows to hit the save button xD

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
^ Same. I don't think I even noticed that until now...and if I did, I had forgotten all about it.

Also, jynx, that is an absolutely hilarious misconception! XD Made my day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)