Battle Mechanics Research

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You're right it isn't the being trapped status that stopped passing it's the trappign status. Editted my post accordingly.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, now I tested the right thing.

Mean Look\Baton Pass: Does Baton Pass pass on the trapping effect once again, or does the effect still wear off?
Watchog used Mean Look on Ferrothorn then Baton Passed to Talonflame, Ferrothorn was able to switch out to Florges so that mechanic has not changed.

Battle Video: BE7W-WWWW-WWWX-Y3NH

This needs more testing, but I think hyper beam moves might be back to Gen I mechanics. I just had a battle where my rival one-hitted my Klefki with Hydrocannon and then attacked my Heliolisk the next turn. Don't have any fully evolved starters so looking for Giga Impact or Hyper Beam TMs to test, I'll let you know results if I have them but somebody else could probably confirm faster.

This needs more testing, but I think hyper beam moves might be back to Gen I mechanics. I just had a battle where my rival one-hitted my Klefki with Hydrocannon and then attacked my Heliolisk the next turn. Don't have any fully evolved starters so looking for Giga Impact or Hyper Beam TMs to test, I'll let you know results if I have them but somebody else could probably confirm faster.
Tested this in-game with a Chesnaught with Giga Impact. KOed a Glaceon and was forced to recharge the next turn. (It was a 2HKO.)

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Do Fairy Aura and Dark Aura apply to all Pokemon on the field or just allied Pokemon and Xerneas / Yveltal themselves?

Also, is the boost 1.5x or a smaller amount?

Last edited:
Tested this in-game with a Chesnaught with Giga Impact. KOed a Glaceon and was forced to recharge the next turn. (It was a 2HKO.)
I just tested this myself. Heliolisk OHKO'd a Lairon with Hyper Beam (before you ask, level 90 Heliolisk vs. level 25 Lairon), and was forced to recharge next turn. This might only apply to the starter-exclusive Hyper Beam variants.

I just tested this myself. Heliolisk OHKO'd a Lairon with Hyper Beam (before you ask, level 90 Heliolisk vs. level 25 Lairon), and was forced to recharge next turn. This might only apply to the starter-exclusive Hyper Beam variants.
I taught Charizard Blast Burn and had it OHKO Wikstrom's Aegislash. I stayed in when he sent in Probopass, and I had to recharge.

I'm thinking somebody might have been mistaken.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It seems that all non-attacking moves go through King's Shield. Raseri and I tested Encore, Roar, and Taunt, and all three went through King's Shield. We also tested these three moves against Protect and Spiky Shield; for both, Encore and Taunt were blocked, while Roar went through. Add that to the list of moves that go through Protect now (and someone test Whirlwind later, I don't have a WW mon on me!).

Edit: Whirlwind went through all 3, thanks Raz

Rumor: No Guard now causes the secondary effects of attacks (such as Scald's chance to Burn) to occur much more frequently, possibly 100% chance.

It seems unlikely to me that this is true, but it's definitely worth checking out - can anyone confirm or deny this rumor? I don't have the game yet...

Rumor: No Guard now causes the secondary effects of attacks (such as Scald's chance to Burn) to occur much more frequently, possibly 100% chance.

It seems unlikely to me that this is true, but it's definitely worth checking out - can anyone confirm or deny this rumor? I don't have the game yet...
Don't currently have anything with No Guard to test, but I'm pretty sure my Doublade didn't flinch everything slower with Iron Head, so that doesn't sound right.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A friend just told me he was in a double battle, and he had a Gogoat and Floette out. Gogoat was paralyzed, Floette used Aromatherapy, which cured paralysis AND activated Sap Sipper. Far as I know, this doesn't happen in Gen V, and I'm not sure if the poke needed to be statused or not to activate it. Gonna test it out myself later on in a bit, but this could be kinda interesting if it's legitimate.

Also, have Flame Body, Static, Poison Point, etc. been buffed to have a 50% chance of working against contact moves? The amount of burns my Talonflame has inflicted ingame has gotten seriously unreal.

EDIT: Same friend just told me he did it again without a status and Sap Sipper still activated

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A friend just told me he was in a double battle, and he had a Gogoat and Floette out. Gogoat was paralyzed, Floette used Aromatherapy, which cured paralysis AND activated Sap Sipper. Far as I know, this doesn't happen in Gen V, and I'm not sure if the poke needed to be statused or not to activate it. Gonna test it out myself later on in a bit, but this could be kinda interesting if it's legitimate.

Also, have Flame Body, Static, Poison Point, etc. been buffed to have a 50% chance of working against contact moves? The amount of burns my Talonflame has inflicted ingame has gotten seriously unreal.

EDIT: Same friend just told me he did it again without a status and Sap Sipper still activated
If an opposing Pokemon has Sap Sipper, or if the user of Aromatherapy has Sap Sipper, does it activate?

Similarly, does Soundproof now block Heal Bell again?

Asking this question for clarification purposes. Does Bug Buzz, being a sound-based move, bypass Substitutes? Or do only strictly status moves and Boomburst bypass it? The OP mentions only status moves, but some threads around Uncharted Territory like Noivern's say that attacks can as well.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Assault Vest seems to increase SpDef by 50%.

Lv 50 Yveltal
151 SpAtk
Using Oblivion Wing

Lv51 Lapras
116 SpDef

Lapras is holding an Assault Vest: 40-46 damage (19 attempts)
Lapras has no item: 60-70 damage (19 attempts)

Testing was done in game using a double battle where I attacked my ally Lapras.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Asking this question for clarification purposes. Does Bug Buzz, being a sound-based move, bypass Substitutes? Or do only strictly status moves and Boomburst bypass it? The OP mentions only status moves, but some threads around Uncharted Territory like Noivern's say that attacks can as well.
I have only tested non-attacking moves, but I've heard that both Boomburst and Bug Buzz go through. The attacks of some Noivern go through Substitutes because it has Infiltrator, which now allows the user's attacks to go through them. I'll test later today if nobody else gets around to it first.

I just wanted to say that my Pyroars Hyper Voice went through a Substitute as well. So it must be that sound based moves go through a Sub now...

Does defog still remove hazards from opponents' side? Not holding my breath for a change but.....
If anyone is going to test defog, could they also see whether or not it removes hazards from your side as well? It'd actually be pretty cool for defog to have a haze-like effect on hazards and walls and such.

Defog still removes your own set-up hazards. Tested it with a Klefki setting them up and then a Ducklett removing them with Defog. Will see if I can test the other way around with Stealth Rock Onix.

EDIT: OMG OMG OMG THEY WERE REMOVED (tested it multiple times)!!!!!!!!!!

DEFOG IS A NEW RAPID SPIN
(though for both sides)!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Defog still removes your own set-up hazards. Tested it with a Klefki setting them up and then a Ducklett removing them with Defog. Will see if I can test the other way around with Stealth Rock Onix.

EDIT: OMG OMG OMG THEY WERE REMOVED (tested it multiple times)!!!!!!!!!!

DEFOG IS A NEW RAPID SPIN
(though for both sides)!!!!!!!!!!
Me and kd24 just tested this out. I used a Stealth Rock Carbink, he used a Defog Rufflet.

I can confirm that Defog removed the opponent's (aka my) Stealth Rock!

battle video proof: 9GKW - WWWW - WWWX - KFNN

just tested vs spikes as well with theorymon, it does remove them!

Last edited:
A friend and I discovered something by accident in a link battle, in which my klefki's use of Heal Block stopped his gogoat's horn leech cold. In other words, it worked like taunt. We ran another battle just to test the new mechanics (ending with leech seed), and also found out that, like taunt, the prevented moves could not be selected.

4EEG-WWWW-WWWX-KHK4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)