Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Been extraordinarily busy lately and have decided to check in here. On topic of the trevenant sprite, the wood grain could use some dampening down, but I don't think it should be removed. IT IS part of the design, we can't base it off the blurry distant screen shots.
709Trevenant_Dream.png

Tone down the grain, but don't remove please. Until we get sugimori art, we have to work with the depictions we have, and wood grain is a present design element.
As for the animated sprites I have slower versions, The faster pace was a last minute thing I did.

Klefki

modified eye, made the third key the right colour, compared to Quany's for some back shading.

As a reminder, Klefki's eyes are round. So if my wonky eye needs changing, making it more of a slant isn't the right direction to go in. ;__;

p.s. Should Carbink also be updated? That was on page 44 and it's done.

EDIT: Back sprite was positioned wrong. The right version is there now. Layell

You mind, if, assuming it's not the pose you did, I make a mid flight one for personal use?

Edit I think the newer Carbink is fine.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Im really close to finishing tyrantrum's front animation edit tho so its ok Layell. dont mind finishing up. Read your post wrong haha...

EDIT: Actually just finished Tyrantrum's front sprite just now so here it is.

tyrantrum-full.gif

Fixed his leg so hopefully it doesnt look like its deflating any more. Noticed the problem was that I made the top part of the leg move as well which just made it look weird so I kept the top of the leg static and let the rest of the leg move with slightly less movement. Was going to make his frills sway a bit but decided not to since its not really needed. Too much extra stuff for little results. Anyway, I'll do the same edit to his back sprite soon.

Oh and I can try adding rare animations to animations who lack them as well if needed. Going to finish what I'm doing first though.

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh, and here are the slightly slowed version, but they may not cut it, so I'll post these links for .xcf files with the separate pieces if anyone wants to re-animate.View attachment 3847View attachment 3848

Front .xcf http://www.mediafire.com/download/w48cyd39uw39rfl/pieces.xcf
Back .xcf http://www.mediafire.com/download/zd8jyf61xk13ikw/back_pieces.xcf
Honestly, the grain really wasn't much of an issue. It made the sprite look a tad messier, but I can see it as a preference rather than one being objectively better than the other. Here's the real problems I had with the sprite and animation.
-The arms look much better at the same height, especially since it matches up with its in-game pose.
-When the arms move downwards, they only move outwards for a single frame. This makes it look too bouncy, with only vertical motion and not enough horizontal. Six frames overall also seems a bit too short.
-Backsprite, right arm, the "hook" should be facing the opposite direction. On a lesser note, I also felt like the same hook should be visible from the front as well.
-The face is still too dang happy.

Of course you still did a great job with it, the above is nothing more than simple fixes that I felt were necessary. Admittedly, I normally would have simply said "nice work, but you should fix these things" rather than doing it myself. But editing animations is a complete chore that I didn't want to burden you with, and I also happened to have an empty plate at the time and wanted something to work on.

Nonetheless, the issues were mostly superficial, the raw quality of your animation is great. I probably didn't need to rush ahead and fix it so quickly, sorry about that.

Honestly, the grain really wasn't much of an issue. It made the sprite look a tad messier, but I can see it as a preference rather than one being objectively better than the other. Here's the real problems I had with the sprite and animation.
-The arms look much better at the same height, especially since it matches up with its in-game pose.
-When the arms move downwards, they only move outwards for a single frame. This makes it look too bouncy, with only vertical motion and not enough horizontal. Six frames overall also seems a bit too short.
-Backsprite, right arm, the "hook" should be facing the opposite direction. On a lesser note, I also felt like the same hook should be visible from the front as well.
-The face is still too dang happy.

Of course you still did a great job with it, the above is nothing more than simple fixes that I felt were necessary. Admittedly, I normally would have simply said "nice work, but you should fix these things" rather than doing it myself. But editing animations is a complete chore that I didn't want to burden you with, and I also happened to have an empty plate at the time and wanted something to work on.

Nonetheless, the issues were mostly superficial, the raw quality of your animation is great. I probably didn't need to rush ahead and fix it so quickly, sorry about that.
I'm not talking about the about the animation, I want there to be new animations, mine was just a test. I'm just talking about the wood grain.
The lack if grain in screenshots is just how it's rendered from a distance. I Do think it should be toned down, but should remain on the sprite imo.
Torterra has it on his tree trunk, and even trevenants model has it. Of course edits are a must,changes should be done, change the grain detail, but don't remove it entirely. Trevenant doesn't have a smooth body.

Last edited:
Also, have we considered surveys, like on survey monkey? it might help get better public opinions on sprites other than just word of mouth.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I did do a facebook survey on the smogon page to see how many people care about animations, and shiny colours among other things. The consensus being more people use animations than I thought (although I do know top tier players turn them off, but I'm not making this just for them!!). I'm not looking to do any more, and those who know sprite style and what they talk about have found I always listen.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not that I care much for some official artwork (see Mega-Lucario and his dreads) but there is some amount of grain on the 3D model and it is faint yes.

Im really close to finishing tyrantrum's front animation edit tho so its ok Layell. dont mind finishing up. Read your post wrong haha...

EDIT: Actually just finished Tyrantrum's front sprite just now so here it is.

View attachment 3849
Fixed his leg so hopefully it doesnt look like its deflating any more. Noticed the problem was that I made the top part of the leg move as well which just made it look weird so I kept the top of the leg static and let the rest of the leg move with slightly less movement. Was going to make his frills sway a bit but decided not to since its not really needed. Too much extra stuff for little results. Anyway, I'll do the same edit to his back sprite soon.

Oh and I can try adding rare animations to animations who lack them as well if needed. Going to finish what I'm doing first though.

The animation of this honestly feels quite choppy, specially parts of the head and the tail.
It could still do with some work to smoothen em up.
Do you actually have the bits and pieces or so around? I could try my hand at smoothening it up if you wish.

Also here's something I've been wondering:
Is there any plans for the XY trainer sprites (the new classes mostly, like team flare) for the avatars on showdown any time soon?
Cause I've been working on those and wouldn't mind giving them as contribution on showdown when finished.

Is there any plans for the XY trainer sprites (the new classes mostly, like team flare) for the avatars on showdown any time soon?
Cause I've been working on those and wouldn't mind giving them as contribution on showdown when finished.
I'm not entirely sure, but I think it was said that there wasn't much need for even more trainer sprites.

EDIT: I know you've done another sprite for Fletchinder, princessofmusic, but as I've not seen it I can't really work on it xD I've edited the colours for Fletchling and Fletchinder to match the colours for Talonflame. (I've put Talonflame's sprites here as well - but I've not edited them at all)

fletchling.png
fletchling back.png

Fletchinder.png
fletchinder back.png

talonflame.png
talonflame back.png

Last edited:
Well, I figured as long as the new sprite has yet to be posted, I'd just show off a few more things I did with my QC.

• Color scheme matches others of its line
  • The head was fixed, I feel that was the most heinous offense
  • New tail
  • Updated wing (little feathers)

Just posting. Can't wait (can wait) to see the new sprite.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The animation of this honestly feels quite choppy, specially parts of the head and the tail.
It could still do with some work to smoothen em up.
Do you actually have the bits and pieces or so around? I could try my hand at smoothening it up if you wish.

na I actually dont have it in parts. Ended up just editing it frame by frame when I started which really takes much longer than it needs to but meh. Too late to do it by parts now. I can try smoothing out the crown a bit more but the tail looks fine to me. I'll see what I can do.

Well, I figured as long as the new sprite has yet to be posted, I'd just show off a few more things I did with my QC.

• Color scheme matches others of its line
  • The head was fixed, I feel that was the most heinous offense
  • New tail
  • Updated wing (little feathers)

Just posting. Can't wait (can wait) to see the new sprite.
I do quite like it's pose

But. The left wing (our right) looks weirdly connected, and the tail also has that.
Also the spikey-hair-thing on his head should be a tad smaller IMO.
But overall it's a nice QC ^^

I do quite like it's pose

But. The left wing (our right) looks weirdly connected, and the tail also has that.
Also the spikey-hair-thing on his head should be a tad smaller IMO.
But overall it's a nice QC ^^
I agree, I was going to make the crest shorter, and the tail is not yet completely posed. But thanks for the feedback, no one has liked my shit in the past in this thread lol. In fact, I already am working on a new sprite, I could post that later.

AwesomeFennekin

Banned deucer.
Needs CQ but it's a Start:

Hope you like and coments please.
There are three things wrong with the sprite:
1. The right legs are a bit derpy and doesn't match the left ones. Can you fix that?
2. The eyes need to be a little bigger, so it doesn't look like a Volcanion Zombie. You cannot see the pupils.
3. The coloring is a bit dark, making it look like a Volcanion Zombie, like the eyes. It needs to be a bit of a brighter red, like the one on Volcanion's model:

Please fix this, and thanks.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys, I'm attempting a Mewtwo X animation at the moment.

BTW, if anyone's looking for a program to easily replace colours in animated gifs (or any static gif or png), check out this one http://aseprite.com/
The user interface takes a little bit to get used too but it does actually seem to have great functionality. The quick reference is necessary to navigate the program.

No have more sprite to be reserved? I wanted to make one, but think I was late. I liked all the sprites, not to say it was a pointless post full.

Ok, so from one of the japanese guidbook things, we got trevenants official artwork. It's a bit blurry and off-colour but we can now see that wood grain is a promenant design element in it's official design. When we get clearer scans, I'll probably edit the pallet of the sprite if there is a stark difference.
1384003059869.jpg

In a addition if it helps, we also now have mega heracross, manectric and gyarados art for more accurate spriting.
1384004990986.jpg

Well, I know I have Mega Medicham in the reserves, but Mega Gyarados needs a sprite more

That looks great! amazing. But, I think the blue needs to be darker, as seen in the official artwork and model. It doesn't have the same colour as normal gyarados.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)