Other Silly Things You've Seen On The OU Ladder: V2

Status
Not open for further replies.
0- SpA Ferrothorn Hidden Power Steel vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Weavile: 60-72 (17.4 - 20.9%)
Barley a 5HKO.

In all seriousness, using Weakness Policy on anything other than Aegislash or Dragonite is pretty silly.
Weakness Policy Unburden Drifblim with Stockpile and Baton Pass is pretty legit. Stockpile boosts can bait unknowing foes to hit it with SE damage in an attempt to get it to GTFO.

Just fought a defiant Thundurus-I. Odd, considering its physical movepool is pretty bad and he ran Thunderbolt/HP ice. I lost to him because of Stone Miss and he won by 2% health.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Just fought a defiant Thundurus-I. Odd, considering its physical movepool is pretty bad and he ran Thunderbolt/HP ice. I lost to him because of Stone Miss and he won by 2% health.
His physical movepool is good enough to prevent the usual special walls from being a threat to him. That's why neither Tyranitar nor blissey were considered counters to him last gen and that's one of the reasons why he was banned. If you're running four attacks and some coverage moves, there isn't any reason not to use defiant over prankster since defog is popular.

Hell, the ones that I've run into ran bulk up, knock off, wild charge, and filler (usually hp ice. Sometimes brick break / superpower). Defiant thundurus is a perfectly viable set.

Random Shit volume 25: Car Stuck in Ice Edition
-CM/Barrier/Recover/Dazzling Gleam M-Alakazam. STAB? What's that?
-Oddish.
-Flamethrower Gourgeist.
-Two Pokemon with a combined 325 base Attack but near zero OU usage: Rampardos and Slaking. (Yes, I know why they're NU.)
-Defensive Zapdos, it appears. It had Roar and a Rcoky Helmet, but that's all I saw of it before it went down.
-A guy who forfeited after one turn when Chandelure absorbed his Sableye's WoW.
-Trick Room/Explosion Bronzong with Normal Gem.
-A team with Lumineon, Rapidash, and Murkrow.
-Sitrus Berry Inner Focus Dragonite.
-Dig Leafeon. Against a Furfrou, of all things.
-A M-Pinsir running Frustration and apparently 0 happiness. And FWIW, it had Hyper Cutter before mega-evolving.
-Protect Starmie. Huh?
-Hypnosis/Curse/Acrobatics Crobat with White Herb. But that wasn't the story of this battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-85988453
-Red Card Dragonite.
-A Forretress player apparently not realizing that (Toxic) Spikes can stack.
-Shell Bell Sableye.
-Dynamicpunch/Hammer Arm Golurk. That somehow managed to outspeed a Latios at -1. Yeah, it was holding a Quick Claw, but that wasn't how.
-Brave Bird Mandibuzz.
-Swagger Amoonguss.

His physical movepool is good enough to prevent the usual special walls from being a threat to him. That's why neither Tyranitar nor blissey were considered counters to him last gen and that's one of the reasons why he was banned. If you're running four attacks and some coverage moves, there isn't any reason not to use defiant over prankster since defog is popular.

Hell, the ones that I've run into ran bulk up, knock off, wild charge, and filler (usually hp ice. Sometimes brick break / superpower). Defiant thundurus is a perfectly viable set.
Huh, I didn't realize that. I thought it's main niche was priority support moves and a special moveset to back it up. Defiant seems like a surprise set though, and I don't really care for those.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Random Shit volume 25: Car Stuck in Ice Edition
-CM/Barrier/Recover/Dazzling Gleam M-Alakazam. STAB? What's that?
-Oddish.
-Flamethrower Gourgeist.
-Two Pokemon with a combined 325 base Attack but near zero OU usage: Rampardos and Slaking. (Yes, I know why they're NU.)
-Defensive Zapdos, it appears. It had Roar and a Rcoky Helmet, but that's all I saw of it before it went down.
-A guy who forfeited after one turn when Chandelure absorbed his Sableye's WoW.
-Trick Room/Explosion Bronzong with Normal Gem.
-A team with Lumineon, Rapidash, and Murkrow.
-Sitrus Berry Inner Focus Dragonite.
-Dig Leafeon. Against a Furfrou, of all things.
-A M-Pinsir running Frustration and apparently 0 happiness. And FWIW, it had Hyper Cutter before mega-evolving.
-Protect Starmie. Huh?
-Hypnosis/Curse/Acrobatics Crobat with White Herb. But that wasn't the story of this battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-85988453
-Red Card Dragonite.
-A Forretress player apparently not realizing that (Toxic) Spikes can stack.
-Shell Bell Sableye.
-Dynamicpunch/Hammer Arm Golurk. That somehow managed to outspeed a Latios at -1. Yeah, it was holding a Quick Claw, but that wasn't how.
-Brave Bird Mandibuzz.
-Swagger Amoonguss.
• Defensive Zapdos is actually pretty good. I've never seen it w/out leftovers, but still. It can decently check Lucario, which most pokemon can't brag.
• Frustration w/ 0 happiness is ALWAYS better than Return with 255 happiness due to Ditto. And Hyper Cutter is totally viable, in order to ignore Intimidate.
Everything else is a bit odd, but some are still viable.

I think if I saw PuP Greninja, it would be worth putting up on this thread. Greninja is pretty frail, so it's going to have a terrible time trying to set up a boost except on a Donphan or something that's just lived a hit thanks to sturdy. Water Shuriken also isn't going to help in the least against Talonflame unless it switches in after you've got a flying resistance courtesy of Protean.

People have mentioned a Choice Band set, which I considered when Greninja was new. Ultimately I gave up on it since the only passable coverage moves it learns are U-Turn and Rock Slide. I actually considered putting spikes on the set just in case it ends up with nothing better to do late game when spinners/defoggers might be out of the picture.
It's by no means a counter to Talonflame; but it can keep Talonflame from being able to revenge Greninja. If Greninja is Jolly, Water Shuriken's priority will probably outspeed Brave Bird's priority since most people run Adamant (and many don't even run max speed investment), and KO if Talonflame has taken prior damage (and you're not so unlucky to get 2 hits). As for PuP, I've personally seen at least two of them. The idea isn't to hit something that's already switched in on you; it's to use when you predict your opponent to switch out which is pretty often given Greninja's versatility. Once you're at +1, waterfall definitely hurts. You can even deal around 65% to non-physically defensive Ferrothorn (though of course you wouldn't do this unless Ferro was low enough that 65% would KO it), and end up at +2. A physical set will also boost U-turn's power, which will incidentally benefit from any attack boosts you got from a PuP on the opponent's switch.

I'm not trying to argue it's as viable as the special set; of course it's not. But it's not completely silly.

Ooh, I have a good one.

Latios with Adamant orb. Because as we all know, it needs increased power to steel moves to counter fairies. Even if it only works on dialga.

Also it had dragon claw. Because... Mixed latios is... All the rage now...?

Last edited:

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Ooh, I have a good one.

Latios with Adamant orb. Because as we all know, it needs increased power to steel moves to counter fairies.

Also it had dragon claw. Because... Mixed latios is... All the rage now...?
Does it even get the boost? Like what? I thought the boost was only for Dialga.....

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Really? I'm pretty sure everybody runs Jolly in order to have a chance to win mirror matches.
This is correct, but there are people who run Adamant (and enough EVs for M-Pinsir) for the power it gives. Usually, they have an answer to opposing Talonflame.

What I saw on the ladder today

Venusaur used Swords Dance!
Venusaur's Attack sharply rose!
Turn 12

The opposing Blissey used Toxic!
But it failed!
Turn 13

The opposing Blissey used Toxic!
But it failed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)