Baton Pass - its role in the metagame and possible solutions to nerf full Baton Pass chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question; what are we trying to save by limiting Baton Pass and not outright banning it? Why is it so wrong to throw the simplest solution to this problem out of the window? Baton Passing boosts is already considered a cheap strategy that is only used by bad players, so why are we keeping it around? The "legit" uses of Baton Pass are either borderline gimmicks (Quick Passing with Scolipede) or used by to escape Pursuit trapping on Pokemon that are outclassed (Espeon). It might have been addressed why earlier in this thread why Baton Pass should stay, but I don't remember. I honestly don't know how a blanket ban would affect lower tiers since I only play OU, but we never jumped through so many hoops before to try to keep something around when everyone already hates it.

Just ban Baton Pass.
"We lose baton pass if we ban baton pass."
Care to give any SPECIFIC examples? What Pokemon depend on Baton Pass so much to be usable? Also, I never said that Swift Swim + Drizzle wasn't a complex ban (I thought people knew and it was implied), and it did nothing stop Rain dominating Gen V. Swift Swim being removed from the picture didn't change the basic strategy: spam Rain-Boosted Hydro Pumps until you win. A "nerf" will still leave Baton Pass with enough tools to potential remain dominant, and I personally do not want to take the risk to wait until the end of Gen VI before we decide to test it because we "nerfed" it like Rain.
I sympathize with your feelings about full Baton Pass teams and if Baton Pass had no use outside of these completely unoriginal and nauseatingly predictable full BP teams, I would probably agree with you. However, Baton Pass is a pretty nifty move that has a lot of potential outside of full BP chains, even if most people don't take advantage of it. For this reason, surely banning it should be viewed as a last resort and not an ideal solution. Let's first address the elements that make Baton Pass chains broken, i.e. Scolipede's ability to get free boosts and Espeon and Smeargle's ability to prevent phazing.

Why didn't you say you wanted Ingrain Smeargle banned as well in the first place? Your argument just went from terrible to actually valid. I'd be all right with a ban of those two; it keeps BP from being a dead playstyle while giving standard stall and offense teams a good chance to beat it. (Of course, it's still an easy mode playstyle and your probably aren't that good if you're using it =P). 3 BP chain is also pretty valid, though, so either of these bans would work out fine for me
Believe it or not, I did, quite some time ago. Here's the post for your convenience.

Srn9130 You have some good points mixed in with a lot of misunderstanding of my argument. I will attempt to clarify the points I believe you misunderstood while attempting to address the points you made.

Just for clarification, you'd be boosting alongside scolipede, not attacking without boosts while it sets up in front of you. So the first calc, along with that first paragraph, is pretty irrelevant.
Next, it's not really about OHKO'ing the current pokemon. Sure, it'd be nice if you had that power, but that's not the point. Let's paint a little scenario to show this:
Here, 3 turns have passed: Mega mawile has set 3 swords dances and Scolipede has set 3 iron defenses:
This means that, after 3 turns, mega mawile is at +6 attack, and scolipede is at +6 defense.
Now, Scolipede can attempt to set up a sub, but mega mawile will break it. Scolipede can protect, that's cool. Obviously can't iron defense, it's at +6. So, all that scolipede can do is baton pass its +6 boosts in defense to another pokemon, probably vaporeon.
Now let's see how much damage a +6 mega mawile does to a +6 vaporeon.

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 273-322 (58.8 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ok, so what can Vaporeon do? It can't sub, it'll break! It can scald, but unless it gets the burn it dies, and it won't OHKO. It can't acid armor, it already has +6. So all it can do is baton pass the boosts in hopes that another member avoids the 2hko.
But no other member will avoid the 2hko. No other member is OHKO'ing mega mawile. All you can do is baton pass the boosts in vain as your entire team is 2hko'd and then swept.
So about your scenario, here's the thing. It's not necessary for the swap in to avoid the 2hko from megamaw. Remember, I am advocating that iron defense scolipede is broken on any team, I'm not arguing that scolipede is broken only on BP. Anyway, in the scenario you posted, play rough does very little damage to scolipede, meaning to attempt to use it is rather risky. Let us say you have paired scolipede with a fire mon such as a bulky charizard. The resulting calc looks like this...

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. +6 252 HP / 0 Def Charizard: 152-179 (42.2 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

This is what happens to megamaw if charizard survives the next turn to attack

-1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 318-374 (104.6 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO

But will megazard survive the sucker punch?

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. +6 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 151-178 (41.9 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Why yes, yes it will.

And all of this is assuming that the opponent led scolipede into mega mawile, which is not a great scenario.

If you want to talk specifically about BP teams, the answer is quite obvious. BP into smeargle, take the hit and live, spore the mawile, and BP over to espeon or mime to start calm minding in prep for a sweep (or just stored power the sucker, it's sp defense is pretty bad).

None of those mons even have decent physical bulk except for gyarados, but ok, let's move on.
And by +0 megamaw incapable of setting up, you mean that mega mawile has +6 and that the switch in will have +6. That was worded in a confusing manner, but that's fine, moving on.

How is it a free swap in? You have to baton pass to a teammate, and they have to take the actual hit before they can do anything. Furthermore, if they don't avoid the 2hko or kill mawile in the following turn (which might not even work thanks to sucker punch), then you have to baton pass into ANOTHER team member who you think will avoid the 2hko, which won't.
So since you don't realize this, your whole argument is pretty dumb.

Not to mention that being "invincible on the physical side" doesn't count when the opponent has +6 attack and you have +6 defense.
You speak as if Scolipede is having a significant offensive presence on baton pass teams or something.
The pokemon that swapped into mawile will be below 50%, unable to boost (because it's already at +6 defense) and cannot phaze because it will be 2hko'd before it can do so.

Again, you have forgotten that the recipient of the +6 defense boosts has to take a hit from +6 mega mawile. It has to avoid a 2hko, or be able to OHKO, and only opposing mega mawile, mega scizor, and Zapdos with heat wave are able to fulfill the following conditions. Even Zapdos is risky because it just dies to sucker punch right after.

Ok...
"free" was probably bad term for it. However, given mega-maw's prominence as a setup sweeper, any good team should have something that can swap into a +0 mega-maw and threaten a KO. If you can do that, the opponent either has to lose his megamaw in exchange for some, but not all of the hp of the swap in in order to have a chance at revenging it, or swap to another mon, who in all likelyhoode is going to be unable to dent it if the replacement is physical, and most special attackers are going to have to take a hit or two due to being outsped courtisy of scoli's speed boosts. As long as your team has a relatively safe swap in for the mon that decided to setup in front of scoli, it's a no win scenario for the opponent. Also note that if megamaw is setting up, that means that scoli has been taking 0 damage from megamaw, meaning that after you revenge this mon, scolipede can come back out and set right back up again. You no longer have your megamaw and chances are your revenge killer is unable to stop scolipede from setting up because reasons we have both agreed upon. What do you do now?

So you're saying that we need to make stall a totally invalid playstyle so that we avoid confusing others. Really?
2 (or more) simple bans combined is a complex ban buddy, and that's exactly what you claim to be avoiding.
I am not saying that at all. What I am saying is that if I tried to argue for two bans in the same post, it would be confusing. I never said that the two bans I am advocating for should'nt be implemented at the same time. I apologize for the confusion, I thought I was clear.

And besides, excuse me for "being folly," but that's exactly what we're trying to do here! We're trying to find one thing that breaks the archetype against both offense and defense. I realize earlier I suggested banning espeon+magic bounce, but not only is that complex, that only really saves stall from baton pass. Offense is still getting the short end of the stick, despite having a better match up naturally.
And yes, again excuse me for "being folly," but I believe we've found a way to break baton pass against both offense and defense: Limiting the number of members with baton pass. It's really just that easy. You could bring 2 ubers down to OU of your choice, but if it's only 2 pokemon, then the chances are that even those 2 uber pokemon aren't gonna be winning 100% of the time against OU teams unless you spam geoxern.
Well, you are not going to find a single thing that breaks BP versus both defense and offense. Defense and offense use different tools to win games, their win-cons are completely different. Things that can counter deoxys-s or DD-Dnite do not usually counter amoonguss or chansey. I do not see why one should expect it to work otherwise for BP teams. Also, you metaphor of bringing 2 ubers of your choice is really bad, as it would literally warp the OU metagame around which two ubers you choose. As I said before, I believe a big part of the reason BP is broken is that it is a team built around screwing over stall that relies on a broken mon to not have a bad matchup versus offense. If we weaken BP versus offense, BP will have to find more space to have offensive checks and counters, weakening itself versus stall. Furthermore, as stated before, I am also advocating a ban on ingrain-smeargle, which will ease the matchup of BP vs Stall anyway for reasons I will elaborate on later in the post.

When did I say scolipede was broken? lol
I even admitted how it can indeed set up on several pokemon in the OU tier.
You didn't. I did and am.

If scolipede is getting a free switch-in, that means that 1. you have no speed boosts or 2. a member of baton pass just died.
Yes, if we are to assume that baton pass wins 6-0 (and it almost always does), then It's correct for me to assume that scolipede cannot come in after a mon is killed. Because when a mon is killed, you're in a very bad position.
Stop assuming that scolipede is useful ONLY on BP. My argument is that scolipede is broken on many teams, especially offensive teams. In the case of BP, focus sash - spore smeargle says "hi".

I really doubt a good player applying decent offensive pressure is going to leave a scolipede with wnough HP do set up again. Scolipede is quite incredibly frail without boosts ya know.
I wonder how much damage mega-mawile will do to scolipede with 3 swords dances?

Mega Mawile Swords Dance vs. Scolipede: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- nice move

If you attack, scoli gets to boost. If you boost, scoli gets to boost. If you switch, scoli gets to boost. In this and most other matchups, all scolipede has to do is boost, and it will work no matter what you do. This is bad. In the cases he can't, he can make like a ninjask, protect once, and swap. The only real problem here is NPers and calm minders, the former are usually pretty obvious and the latter are usually walled by sylveon and mime.

First off, no smart player is going to set SR on a baton pass team, so that's irrelevant
Second, if you see a scolipede on the opposing team, that's a sign to automatically tell you to lead with talon. Are you seriously telling me that a smart player is leading with a pokemon that can't hurt scolipede against baton pass? Because that's the only way that "talonflame doesn't counter scolipede," which is pretty much false anyway.
Once again, my position is broken on other teams too, so it was worth a mention.

Hello. Are you telling me that no offensive team out there can break through a measly scolipede, even after an iron defense.
Are you telling me that special threats commonly seen on offensive teams, like Keldeo, Charizard-y, and NP thundurus cannot break through scolipede?
While you're true that revenge killers are usually physically based, you're so badly overhyping scolipede at this point.

No seriously just take a moment to ingest what you've said.
You're telling me that scolipede, a bug/poison pokemon with 60/89/69 bulk without reliable recovery, is taking on every offensive threat in the OU metagame.

\(-______________________________________________-)/
No, I am not. What I am saying is that you cannot make an offensive team that does not contain at least one mon on it that isn't setup bait for scolipede. On most offensive teams, more then half of their mons are setup bait due to the physical bias of the current meta. Scolipede can choose it's matchups, and it has a lot of favorable ones.

I can see your point of how ingrain is nice against stall.
But is ingrain preventing taunt? Or encore? How about Spore, or any other status move (granted you should have a sub up, but magic bounce makes it less necessary, which is nice)? Or what about Leech Seed? How about every hazard move?
Ingrain is only helping against phazing, there are many more things stall has up its sleeve to hinder baton pass that won't work as long as espeon is here.
Simple, it doesn't. What distinguishes ingrain from magic bounce is that espeon has to be out to use it each and every time there is even the possibility of a phaser, spore, taunt, leech seed, and all those other tools that stall uses, which makes it very vulnerable. Watch the replay I posted. Espeon very nearly died in that replay. Espeon would have died if ingrain had not been in play the entire game. I can bet you my account that had espeon died and chansey lived, sandstorm would've won the match "easily".

Awagarb About your previous post asking Over Zealous to stop switching between boosting just speed and boosting speed and defense, I must ask "why?" Given scolipede's BP set, he can choose, on any turn he is out, whether he wants to try to boost both speed and defense or just boost speed. He does not need to make any adjustments to his build, item, EV spread, or moves to accomplish this. This is a decision that scolipede can make and change every battle, or even every turn if he so chooses. Ninjask can only boost speed, ever. Ninjask does not have this freedom. For comparison, consider the semi-popular double dance build back in gen 5, which is any set that runs both a speed boosting move and an attack boosting move. In any match, if the double dancer gets a free turn to boost, that player must make a decision on whether to boost offense or speed. This decision is normally based on the opponent's team comp and likely swap in. If the player believes that the swap in will be a slower mon, he will boost offense to break through. Otherwise, he will boost his speed and kill the faster mon next turn. This versatility made double dancers very powerful in gen 5. Scolipede is similar.. The rest of your points are valid ones.

Absolutely nothing is broken about baton pass. Nothing. It's stopped by SD Pinsir/Talonflame/SD+Sacred Sword/Prankster taunt/Haze/Perish Song/Red Card/Ditto/Prankster Encore. If you can't be bothered to run ANY of those things that isn't BPs fault, it's yours. This is obviously one of those "I don't use it so I want it banned in order to have one less threat" mentalities. Facing Baton Pass=free win.

Absolutely nothing is broken about baton pass. Nothing. It's stopped by SD Pinsir/Talonflame/SD+Sacred Sword/Prankster taunt/Haze/Perish Song/Red Card/Ditto/Prankster Encore. If you can't be bothered to run ANY of those things that isn't BPs fault, it's yours. This is obviously one of those "I don't use it so I want it banned in order to have one less threat" mentalities. Facing Baton Pass=free win.
It's not just you, because there's a lot of people like you, but, READ THE DAMN THREAD before you make stupid posts.

Now, reading it all would be impractical, but the first 10 pages, including the OP:
  1. If you have no knowledge (or next to no knowledge) of the game at high level of play (be it the top of the ladder of official tournaments) then you're not supposed to post in this thread. I don't want to see one-liners or uninformed posts;

I'm sorry I couldn't go through the whole thread before posting and that probably this has been said before...could it be that the meta just needs to get used to playing against new BP cores? from what I saw on replay at around page 84, most people made clear mistakes when facing the BP teams (like losing control of the field by trying to face a Scolipede with Azumarril) while banning the whole strategy would mean that it actually has no counters. Perhaps it would be wise to let the meta evolve around BP and not narrowing the gameplay to a "Who hit the hardest and fastest" thing only...and I actually hate facing stall...

I really haven't had problems facing BP chains and I feel like I have a solid check and counter on my team with Bulky Volcarona (QD, Fiery Dance, Bug Buzz, Giga Drain) and Thundurus-I (Knock Off, Taunt, thunderbolt, HP Ice). When facing a BP team I usually lead with Thundurus as the natural and only move for a BP chain is to BP to Espeon who takes a hard hit from LO knock off and most likely dies from the next tbolt. If everything else fails, Volcarona can save the day by QD along whatever is on the field and either roasting what's left or bypassing substitutes with bug buzz (except for a CM sylveon).

Finally, not preparing your team to face BP with some of the many options that has being posted means that you are going to lose the match, just as not carrying a way to handle Dual-Birds or a mega-mawile/Bisharp counter would do.

PD: Has someone tried how does volt-turn teams handle against BP? I would thing that hard pressing the BP team and having switch initiative would slowly but safely wear it down as BP feel much like stall teams in that they are forced to predict the incoming hit to sponge the damage while keeping momentum.

It's not just you, because there's a lot of people like you, but, READ THE DAMN THREAD before you make stupid posts.

Now, reading it all would be impractical, but the first 10 pages, including the OP:
Stupid why? Baton Pass is easy to beat, if you can't beat baton pass then you aren't a high level player therefor you can't post here. An entire playstyle that can be beat by 1 Pokemon/move/or item is in no way broken. It's like saying you need to run certain moves/pokemon to beat stall so that means it's broken.

Last edited:
Stupid why? Baton Pass is easy to beat, if you can't beat baton pass then you aren't a high level player therefor you can't post here. An entire playstyle that can be beat by 1 Pokemon/move/or item is in no way broken. It's like saying you need to run certain moves/pokemon to beat stall so that means it's broken.
If you read ANY of the thread, it'd be obvious, so try that. I doubt there's a single page here where there isn't at least some noob who asks something similar and gets shot down. Seriously, don't post if you don't have a clue what you're talking about

This might be mini - modding but can the moderators move this to the Victory Road thread so that we can get educated posts and not one - liners such as "If you can't beat Baton Pass, then you are a bad player". As I understand it, the people there are the supposed "top" players who know what they're talking about.
And yes, I don't quite see why this wasn't in VR from the get go. Sure more people have posted, but maybe half of them had a clue, and the rest just wasted our time (see Sweetshare)

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I listed many ways.
Everything between Prankster Taunt and Prankster Encore are rarely if ever seen, and set up priority alone doesn't count as a way to take BP on. Sure, Mega Pinsir and Talonflame are good at taking on Scolipede, but the opponent won't always mindlessly send him out, as they have other teammates to cripple them, such as Smeargle with Spore, or the Pokemon they intend to sweep with, like Tyranitar after a speed boost. Sacred Sword is only ever seen on Aegislash, so that won't help much against any of the main 4 set up BPers except Smeargle. In fact, does anyone even use Haze or Perish Song these days?

Last edited:

Galladium

Banned deucer.
And yes, I don't quite see why this wasn't in VR from the get go. Sure more people have posted, but maybe half of them had a clue, and the rest just wasted our time (see Sweetshare)
I agree, except that there are people like me who can't access Victory Road, but have still made some sensible posts in this thread. Not everyone that doesn't have access to Victory Road is an idiot.

Let's start with the consensus solution for fixing now: Limiting the number of Pokemon with Baton Pass on their movelist on a team to a maximum of 3 or 4 via a clause. (This is not a Complex Ban, unlike Speed Boost+Magic Bounce or Speed Boost + Baton Pass).

My questions are:
1. Are there any alternative solutions to balancing BP Teams that will be less intrusive from a team building perspective?
2. Is this enough to balance BP Teams? (Let's not worry about "Nerfs too much" first, as I think it would be terrible if we nerfed BP too little and still let it stay abusive.)
3. Are there any ways this could backfire, ie actually make BP teams even more abusive?
4. What outlier strategies are being checked by BP only? (Similar to how SwagPlay was horribly broken, but it was the only thing that could win against BP Teams.)
Those are really good analytic-al questions. I've glossed over the last couple pages, so I'll answer these questions the best I can. To get my bias out of the way, I prefer simply banning Scolipede over everything and then prefer a limit of four after that as of now.

1. From a team building perspective, banning Scolipede and reintroducing the complex ban of Ingrain + Baton Pass (this never should have gone away) should fix most of the problems people are having now. It's absolutely stupid how Scolipede can simultaneously accumulate both Speed and Defensive boosts for very little opportunity cost due to his bulk. By banning Scolipede players have more opportunity to apply pressure at the beginning of the match, and Ninjask will never be a suitable replacement; he is killed way too easily. Also, without Ingrain Smeargle, players have more opportunities to phase.

2. I do not think limiting it to either four or three will really help the way most people want it to. Scolipede will still be a pressing problem. As Webowser has shown using Jukian's replays, all six members are often not very necessary during a match; they're just insurance. Scolipede's quick passes when played right are very dangerous, and BP teams will evolve to work with that and work with varied and potentially dangerous receivers. Also, someone might just "figure out" how BP works best with three or four mons, in which case we will be back where we are now. Either way, Scolipede will still be problematic, and we might have to deal with him sooner or later. Might as well be sooner before we do anything too intrusive from a team-building perspective, imo. Do we have any other pressing issues at the moment? If not, banning Scolipede before introducing a limit to see if that changes anything might even be preferable.

3. I think I partially answered that in Promot #2, but this is a very big maybe.

4. What strategies BP checks? Or what checks BP? The passive wording confuses me.

Those are really good analytic-al questions. I've glossed over the last couple pages, so I'll answer these questions the best I can. To get my bias out of the way, I prefer simply banning Scolipede over everything and then prefer a limit of four after that as of now.

1. From a team building perspective, banning Scolipede and reintroducing the complex ban of Ingrain + Baton Pass (this never should have gone away) should fix most of the problems people are having now. It's absolutely stupid how Scolipede can simultaneously accumulate both Speed and Defensive boosts for very little opportunity cost due to his bulk. By banning Scolipede players have more opportunity to apply pressure at the beginning of the match, and Ninjask will never be a suitable replacement; he is killed way too easily. Also, without Ingrain Smeargle, players have more opportunities to phase.

People already have trouble phazing due to Mr.Mime and Espeon.

Valmanway

Those have always been though; Scolipede (and Sylveon) is what really changed this generation (and Ingrain Smeargle). But phasing isn't the real issue anyway; it's getting past those ridiculous defensive boosts.
Maybe we could do a +2 defense/special defense buff move clause, like Iron Defense or Amnesia can't be used on Baton Pass teams. It's very unlikely that that'll fix much, or even be considered in the first place, but it's an idea.

My team can beat any batonpass team, even if they know the gimmick.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-115986443

Stop trying to restrict people who play this game further -- banning BP is just going to make this game overall less fun. Just get good. Adapt. Stop forcing the metagame with such arbitrary rules like this - this kind of stuff is only going to be toxic to pokemon. How can we expect people to play with two dozen clauses in effect.

Baton Pass is easy to react to. Even if you fuck up, you always get a turn to switch in your counter, because they always have to stat boost and then baton pass. They will always BP into whatever you have ready. Clear Smog. Haze. Perish Song. Entrain. There's no easy defense against this stuff as a BP team.

About your previous post asking Over Zealous to stop switching between boosting just speed and boosting speed and defense, I must ask "why?" Given scolipede's BP set, he can choose, on any turn he is out, whether he wants to try to boost both speed and defense or just boost speed.
You misunderstood my poorly constructed sentence, particularly the meaning of "job".
I didnt meant he should choose one type of boosting and always go with it, just have some consistency with his arguments.

Whenever Scolipede can set up ID, the argument of trivially attained def and speed pops up, as any poke that can surely pass +2 def/speed makes an overwhelming support for BP. This is usually accompanied by saying Ninjask cannot perform the same job and is therefore 100% useless for the team in all scenarios.

When Scolipede cannot boost anything besides speed, the argument morphs into "nothing can stop him from getting max speed" and claims of max speed being an overwhelming support to BP, even if he is functioning essentially as a harder-to-kill-with-priority Ninjask.

When Scolipede is under so much pressure that he cant even boost up to +2 speed safely, that +1 speed is considered an overwhelming support to his team.

When Scolipede cannot do absolutely anything, he can be sacked for a free switch, providing overwhelming support to his team. ( I am sure this would be the next one )

Stop trying to restrict people who play this game further -- banning BP is just going to make this game overall less fun. Just get good. Adapt. Stop forcing the metagame with such arbitrary rules like this - this kind of stuff is only going to be toxic to pokemon. How can we expect people to play with two dozen clauses in effect.

Baton Pass is easy to react to. Even if you fuck up, you always get a turn to switch in your counter, because they always have to stat boost and then baton pass. They will always BP into whatever you have ready. Clear Smog. Haze. Perish Song. Entrain. There's no easy defense against this stuff as a BP team.
Your entire replay is based around Perish Song and your opponents BP Team didn't have Mr. Mime. If it did, you'd have lost. Also, nice team btw, Water Absorb Politoed and Durant have been making a comeback recently.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

First, why are you using water absorb Politoed?

Second, the opponent wasn't using an all out Baton Pass team; it was a team with only 3 BP users. That is not what the thread is about.

Seriously, it's cool that you beat a 3 mon baton pass team with a bad team. But this thread is for either a) Viable ways to beat 6 mon baton pass teams, or b) ways to nerf baton pass teams.

Lastly, Mr. Mime shuts down Perish Song. If you encounter him, on a 6 mon BP team, you'll need to rethink your strategy.

Valmanway

It's because of those clauses that Pokemon isn't such a miserable experience. Do you really want to see Moody everywhere? Without clauses, OU would be rather close to being Ubers.

It's because of those clauses that Pokemon isn't such a miserable experience. Do you really want to see Moody everywhere? Without clauses, OU would be rather close to being Ubers.
I personally think he wants to fight a Minimize / Double Team team who all have Subs and OHKO moves (Bonus Points: they have Quick Claw which almost always activates)

Valmanway

Those moves you mentioned are either downgrades to other moves or just too terrible to use. Clear Smog is basically a poor man's Haze (unless you're scared to death of Taunt), which is basically a poor man's Roar. Perish Song is rarely seen ever since Mega Gengar's banishment, the only somewhat viable users of it being Politoed and Celebi, who both prefer other moves, and Mr. Mime takes care of it anyways. Finally, Entrainment is too gimicky to pass off as good, since the opponent can just switch out and get their ability back, and Scarf sets will have to switch out either way after using the move. Those moves are too situational and way too gimmicky to work against anything but Baton Pass teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)