Baton Pass - its role in the metagame and possible solutions to nerf full Baton Pass chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
that replay shows nothing at all. you were playing with some serious fire hoping blaziken didnt wake up and then you seemed to just be passing around for kicks and giggles. your oppenent didnt even know about magic bounce... its a 1000 rated ubers match and you used hidden power on your espeon...
Yes but 3 Uber pokemon could often take out full teams of OU pokemon(I think).
I think I made reasonable passes. I'd have to watch it again. HP fighting on Espeon kills Tyranitar and bisharp, so I don't see your point. What else was I supposed to do? Forfit cis I made. Blaziken sleep? Also it does show how broken it is.
And I know that was 1000. As I said I just started it.

Edit:Just looked My switches were reasonable to an extent. What switches should I done better? I still have yet to master BP teams

Last edited:

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I'm going to start by saying this. I don't like the idea of banning something just because it's "overcentralizing". I feel like overcentralizing is just another way of saying "I don't like this". As annoying as some of these moves can be (like stealth rock for instance), if they aren't broken (meaning ZERO counters) I think they should be allowed. I think we should focus on things that are actually broken instead of talking about what we like and don't like.

I've refrained from posting on this thread because restating the things I've been saying since the beginning would be pretty pointless, but I will say the rate at which uneducated posters spring up is absolutely astounding. Take this post for example:
I'm going to start by saying this. I don't like the idea of banning something just because it's "overcentralizing". I feel like overcentralizing is just another way of saying "I don't like this". As annoying as some of these moves can be (like stealth rock for instance), if they aren't broken (meaning ZERO counters) I think they should be allowed. I think we should focus on things that are actually broken instead of talking about what we like and don't like.
WHAT?

First off, you clearly don't know what broken means. Mega Blaziken can be countered by Chandelure, Kyogre by Gastrodon, Swagger by Chansey, and so many things that are banned despite having counters.

Edit: Ok, Blaziken can have EQ or Stone Miss (balloons) and Kyogre has HP Grass, but neither of them can afford to use either of those in a meta game as big as ubers (if we let them in, OU would become a lot like ubers).

Actually, I'm not going to follow that up. I've disproved enough that I don't even have to explain why claiming this is being banned because people "don't like it" shows a pathetic lack of understanding of the metagame

Basically, I'm in favor of this thread being closed and whatever action the council likes best to be tested. If it's not, I'd appreciate an explanation on why having to explain the same things to new people every day benefits the discussion.

Last edited:
I've been having horrible luck. I keep dropping down like 100, do like 5 matchs and get bad luck as they crit me, and then I do good. It just keeps repeating. And as soon as I lose Espeon I usually quit, because I'd have to start a chain with my weskend Pokemon and I don't want to risk that.
Not sure if I should keep doing this tho.

Where was Baton Pass in BW without Scolipede?

Xatu can't run Magic Bounce + BP (Natu learns BP in XD, which came out before Magic Bounce).
Ah, my bad. I was thinking of it exclusively as a recipient in my post so I didn't think about it not having BP. You get my point though. Xatu's pretty irrelevant in OU as long as Espeon exists so I don't even know why I bothered mentioning it.
Or you lead with a pokemon that commonly has Taunt and stuff and you just attack and kill Espeon cuz it will likely switch in.
I fail to see how leading with a Pokemon that "commonly has Taunt and stuff" is a reliable way of beating BP+Espeon, unless you're confident that you can predict your opponents' moves correctly every time. Odds are, you're going to end up Taunting yourself or letting your opponent get off free boosts pretty often.
Very few, if any Pokemon have zero counters. Mewtwo is countered fairly well by Spiritomb and Ho-Oh is countered by Golem. Does that mean that Mewtwo and Ho-Oh don't belong in Ubers? The issue isn't whether something has ZERO counters, it is whether or not it only has obscure counters, i.e. things that counter specific pokemon well, but are otherwise outclassed. A metagame becomes overcentralized when players are forced to run these otherwise outclassed Pokemon just to counter very specific Pokemon or playstyles.

Hiding from the massive weather wars since they have a history of being weak against huge special pressure? Pretty sure this was answered several times already.
Lets pretend for a second that the only change is Scolipede getting speed boost and fling this team into gen 5 :

252 SpA Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Scolipede in Sun: 356-422 (109.8 - 130.2%)
Keep in mind that he has nasty plot too, so you cant even safely get speed boosts, then pass and calm mind (or vice versa).
Vaporeon wont be using acid armor either against sun teams for very obvious grassy reasons of the solar variety.

Good luck facing rain teams too, with perish song lead, stab hydros everywhere, 120 bp thunder and stab hurricane, all of which make your turns boosting defense a pain, but you will need them against Azumarill.
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Espeon in Rain: 271-319 (99.6 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

You would basically be at a disavantage against 2 of the most popular strategies instead of "auto winning" against a large number of teams if perma weather was still a thing this gen.

Where was Baton Pass in X/Y before the Swag ban?
Hitting their own faces once or twice trying to switch into a counter, causing the entire chain to collapse. The only thing that can stop this is Espeon, who is weak to foul play. You cant even get rid of your atk boosts if you do manage to pass during prankster confusion, so yeah.
Alternative answer : Using swagger themselves. Most Swagplay users just jumped into the next copy-paste team that required almost no skill to function.

All major threats to BP are gone, a new type is immune to D-Tail, you wont face 5 layers of hazards without a spinner, etc.
There are many, many new variables, so stop pretending a hidden ability is the only relevant thing that happened this gen in BP's favor.

Slipperly Slope arguments are a logical fallacy (though I've read that in very specific situations it is applicable, but I'm not confident enough in the source to back that claim up), and people have already posted that they have tested teams of 3-5 BPers and found that 4-5 is still broken, and possibly 3. In fact, having less Passers can actually make the chain more efficient by letting you run checks/counters to Fly-Spam and HO, the only playstyle that has a chance against BP chains. As others have said, a core of Scolipede, Espeon, and Sylveon is enough to screw over other playstyles, and you could run something like Mold Breaker Excadrill as the last recipient (immune to T-Wave and Toxic) and proceed to steamroll your opponent. I think we need to limit the number to 2 and nib this in the bud NOW.
Of course slippery slope scenarios are possible. You don't need a source, just use your brain. The fallacy comes into play when you make the argument that if we do A, B MUST happen, followed by C, etc. If you can provide evidence that B in fact will occur if A, then you have a sound argument and the slippery slope is a valid scenario.

Let's start with the consensus solution for fixing now: Limiting the number of Pokemon with Baton Pass on their movelist on a team to a maximum of 3 or 4 via a clause. (This is not a Complex Ban, unlike Speed Boost+Magic Bounce or Speed Boost + Baton Pass).

My questions are:
1. Are there any alternative solutions to balancing BP Teams that will be less intrusive from a team building perspective?
2. Is this enough to balance BP Teams? (Let's not worry about "Nerfs too much" first, as I think it would be terrible if we nerfed BP too little and still let it stay abusive.)
3. Are there any ways this could backfire, ie actually make BP teams even more abusive?
4. What outlier strategies are being checked by BP only? (Similar to how SwagPlay was horribly broken, but it was the only thing that could win against BP Teams.)

Srn9130 So I read through your post, and there are a couple of things that I would like to point out.

First off, scolipede is not broken against stall. I fully agree that against stall, smeargle and espeon are far more key members to a BP team.

But stall isn't the only playstyle.

Scolipede is broken against offensive teams, due to being able to use nearly every physical mon as setup bait. Even mega pinsir and talonflame are not counters, they need to be out BEFORE scolipede comes out, because they cannot ohko a +2 scoli, meaning scoli gets to pass his +2 and he has done his job Furthermore, he has done his job and probably has enough health to do so again. So no, talonflame and megapinsir do not counter scoli, they can only check him (they do so very well, but still). Taunt thundy-I can only counter him after mental herb has been burned, so before that, scoli still gets his quick pass, meaning thundy-I isn't a full counter either (though this one comes pretty darn close).

Due to his ability to setup +2 defense and +1-2 speed against nearly any offensive mon and a decent number of defensive mons as well, this makes him very hard to deal with for offensive teams. Vaporeon isn't as big of a deal because you have the option of 2hkoing her (or just use a taunter with non-abyssmal speed, mental herb isn't great on vap), greatly increasing the number of counters. Zapdos is harder to counter, but easier to check due to requiring a turn of vulnerability to setup agility and the inability to boost defense, leaving it vulnerable to strong physical attacks (not to mention being rather slow pre boost).

Ninjask is less broken because it can't use darn near an entire meta as setup bait to boost defense AND speed, and that's huge.

Some calcs for your pleasure.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 186-218 (57.4 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 152-180 (46.9 - 55.5%) -- 69.9% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 194-230 (59.8 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 78-92 (24 - 28.3%) -- 92.6% chance to 4HKO

and just for fun...

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 103-123 (31.7 - 37.9%) -- 92.6% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza V-create vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 242-286 (74.6 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Groudon Stone Edge vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 104-124 (32 - 38.2%) -- 96.3% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 127-150 (39.1 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 64-76 (19.7 - 23.4%) -- possible 5HKO

Ok, am I the only one finding a mon capable of using friggen E-KILLER ARCEUS AS SETUP BAIT exceedingly disturbing? If being able to setup in front of one of ubers most dangerous physical sweepers isn't utterly terrifying, I dunno what is. Ninjask never was, and never will be able to pull any of that off, and that is why banning iron defense scolipede will be enough to balance BP teams versus offensive teams.

*edit*

the-bumper-car You probably know my position, I think iron defense scolipede is broken on any team, not just BP. I do not think limiting BP members will fix that simply because BP isn't the problem (versus offense. BP versus stall is a very different matchup). If you aim to balance BP versus all teams, my opinion is that a ban of iron defense scolipede and ingrain smeargle would be most prudent. I do not believe a cap is necessary at the time.

Of course slippery slope scenarios are possible. You don't need a source, just use your brain. The fallacy comes into play when you make the argument that if we do A, B MUST happen, followed by C, etc. If you can provide evidence that B in fact will occur if A, then you have a sound argument and the slippery slope is a valid scenario.
The reason slippery slopes aren't realistic arguments is because we discuss and judge each issue independently. Precedent is considered for each situation, but we'll never make an action solely because that's what we did in another similar situation. If something's not ban worthy, there's very little danger of it getting banned.

What I'm questioning is why Rotosect mentioned slippery slope at all.

I think I'm going to give my thoughts on this. If I get anything wrong, I'll be happy to delete the post. Note that I haven't read the whole thread, so please understand if I miss anything.
Some of the counters I run for BP teams are rather obscure. Many a time when I ask for a battle in the OU chat, some guy comes up to me with his BP team and asks for a battle. Because of that, I've had to run the ridiculous set of a physical attacker prankster thundurus with crunch, u turn, taunt and T-wave. As I am aware this would be next to useless while I'm actually laddering, I never use this set in the OU ladder lol. However, this comes in handy facing BP teams, as the sheer stupidity of it can catch people off guard, and they find their primary counters umbreon and espeon taking a heavy hit on every switch, also forcing a chain to break.
I am aware there are other better counters, but let's consider this. Leech seed can really mess up a BP team, it doesn't affect grass types when bounced back, and it's commonly run as is. Taunt in itself has a great distribution, and it's not as easy as it was to predict, people run sets like Taunt noivern, Taunt Mega-gyarados, and taunt gliscor as I've seen sometimes in the upper ladder.
Despite this, I feel an overpresence of BP teams can somewhat limit teambuilding, sometimes causing people to always carry something that is passed on by BP just in case. I'm not sure this problem can be solved by limiting BP users to 3-4 users in a team, as it is possible the last 2 at the end of the chain might be something like a garchomp, which, with +3 everything is pretty much uncounterable.
Would it be alright to prevent a baton passer passing into another passer?
I'd be happy if someone could explain why my suggestion is stupid, because I have a feeling it is.

I think I'm going to give my thoughts on this. If I get anything wrong, I'll be happy to delete the post. Note that I haven't read the whole thread, so please understand if I miss anything.
Some of the counters I run for BP teams are rather obscure. Many a time when I ask for a battle in the OU chat, some guy comes up to me with his BP team and asks for a battle. Because of that, I've had to run the ridiculous set of a physical attacker prankster thundurus with crunch, u turn, taunt and T-wave. As I am aware this would be next to useless while I'm actually laddering, I never use this set in the OU ladder lol. However, this comes in handy facing BP teams, as the sheer stupidity of it can catch people off guard, and they find their primary counters umbreon and espeon taking a heavy hit on every switch, also forcing a chain to break.
I am aware there are other better counters, but let's consider this. Leech seed can really mess up a BP team, it doesn't affect grass types when bounced back, and it's commonly run as is. Taunt in itself has a great distribution, and it's not as easy as it was to predict, people run sets like Taunt noivern, Taunt Mega-gyarados, and taunt gliscor as I've seen sometimes in the upper ladder.
Despite this, I feel an overpresence of BP teams can somewhat limit teambuilding, sometimes causing people to always carry something that is passed on by BP just in case. I'm not sure this problem can be solved by limiting BP users to 3-4 users in a team, as it is possible the last 2 at the end of the chain might be something like a garchomp, which, with +3 everything is pretty much uncounterable.
Would it be alright to prevent a baton passer passing into another passer?
I'd be happy if someone could explain why my suggestion is stupid, because I have a feeling it is.
It's not "stupid", but it implies messing with game mechanics, so it's not going to be done.
The only action with that effect that could be applied (i.e. that doesn't modify mechanics) is forbidding more than 1 BP user in the same team, which is a very disfavored alternative to face this problem.

Last edited:
It's not "stupid", but it implies messing with game mechanics, so it's not going to be done.
The only action with that effect that could be applied is forbidding more than 1 BP user in the same team, which is a very disfavored alternative to face this problem.
I guess I'll have to agree with you on that. I guess I mean something a bit like sleep clause and such, but that's a completely different story

Last edited:
I guess I'll have to agree with you on that. I guess I mean something a bit like sleep clause and such, but that's a completely different story i guess
I've explained this before, and it's not your fault you didn't read it (Hell I wouldn't read most of these pages myself if I was just jumping in).
The difference between sleep clause and Limiting the amount of times you use BP is it's easy to make it so when one Poke is sleeping, you can't put anything back to sleep. It's harder to enforce a limit for the amount of pokemon using BP in a match. Instead, you have something more like species clause, where you can't even enter the match with more than 3 Pokes with BP.

Sleep goes away, and if you have 6 BP mons, and the limit is three Pokemon using BP, that makes 3 of those Pokemon 100% useless. Why do that when you can just limit the number of Pokes that can bring BP into a battle?

Ah, my bad. I was thinking of it exclusively as a recipient in my post so I didn't think about it not having BP. You get my point though. Xatu's pretty irrelevant in OU as long as Espeon exists so I don't even know why I bothered mentioning it.
It's cool; I thought about bringing it up when I first hopped on this thread, but wasn't sure why nobody was running it. Showdown told me it was an illegal combo, so I looked it up.
Hiding from the massive weather wars since they have a history of being weak against huge special pressure? Pretty sure this was answered several times already.
Lets pretend for a second that the only change is Scolipede getting speed boost and fling this team into gen 5 :

252 SpA Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Scolipede in Sun: 356-422 (109.8 - 130.2%)
Keep in mind that he has nasty plot too, so you cant even safely get speed boosts, then pass and calm mind (or vice versa).
Vaporeon wont be using acid armor either against sun teams for very obvious grassy reasons of the solar variety.

Good luck facing rain teams too, with perish song lead, stab hydros everywhere, 120 bp thunder and stab hurricane, all of which make your turns boosting defense a pain, but you will need them against Azumarill.
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Espeon in Rain: 271-319 (99.6 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

You would basically be at a disavantage against 2 of the most popular strategies instead of "auto winning" against a large number of teams if perma weather was still a thing this gen.

Where was Baton Pass in X/Y before the Swag ban?
Hitting their own faces once or twice trying to switch into a counter, causing the entire chain to collapse. The only thing that can stop this is Espeon, who is weak to foul play. You cant even get rid of your atk boosts if you do manage to pass during prankster confusion, so yeah.
Alternative answer : Using swagger themselves. Most Swagplay users just jumped into the next copy-paste team that required almost no skill to function.

All major threats to BP are gone, a new type is immune to D-Tail, you wont face 5 layers of hazards without a spinner, etc.
There are many, many new variables, so stop pretending a hidden ability is the only relevant thing that happened this gen in BP's favor.

Yes, we have lost weather, and Game Freak has laid a boon on the competitive battling community by removing those broken strategies from the meta. We now live in a renaissance of variety and creative team building, where the top rungs of the ladder aren't kept aloft by silica gyres emanating from the Hippopotamus' grotesque pores, then muddied by the Toad's maelstrom, baked to a crust in Vulpine fire, and blown clean again with the descent of the Dark Tyrant. We no longer have a three-team metagame that shuns deviation and experimentation; we demonstrated our Adaptability, donning new Vests, feathered Overcoats, then proved our Defiance had all along been worthwhile. We innovated; ancient, forgotten species rose through the tiers and usurped the positions of former threats. We dusted the cobwebs off a Hidden Machine and brought it to light, discovered its purpose, and basked in the irony of the endeavor; we laughed; then, the Spiders came with their silken thread and played tug-of-war with our reclaimed contraption. We danced with Fairies. We got serious. We Focused Energy through a Lens, and the Tree bore fruit. We Harvested. We Harvested. We Harvested. Our Voices Boomed, bursted in all directions and our ideas, our words, would seek no Substitute. We were free. We realized the Protean nature of Pokémon and finally trained them to their full potential. We pioneered; we strayed from the old standards. We found great rewards in the things we invented and we found great companionship in those we had raised from eggs. We had fun. We were happy.

But the Bug was jealous. The Bug remembered the past, the Dark Ages; The Bug remembered the cookie-cutter metagame of its infancy. The Bug remembered it was spurned, Never Used. The Bug was status fodder. The Bug remembered its trainers tossing it into searing Will-O-Wisps and stinging electrical Waves just to get a Speed Boost. No, the Bug decided it would have better than that; it cursed the newfound "fun" and "happiness," and "freedom." The Bug would become the metagame, it would be tier zero at all costs. In its avarice, the Bug became an Iron-clad darkhorse, gaining Speed and searching for a new scapegoat, gaining speed and searching for a scapegoat, gaining speed and producing a scapegoat. The Bug was strong. The Bug never struck the innocent though; it instead recruited the Army of Eons to do its dirty work, harnessing their Stored Power to blast creativity into the void. The Bug would have no competition. The Bug had taken the ground; those of the sea had to break themselves, become defenseless, to achieve the Bug's power, and the Cicada plagues from the sky were felled by lobbed Rocks. The Bug would have his day. The three teams of yore had long been dismissed, and in their place stood one: The Bug. And so we were left to stagnate in our despair, to seethe in the box the Bug created.

TL;DR: Weather trumps everything. We shouldn't neglect a rising evil because we've seen worse. Also:

I believe whatever change occurs has already been stated in this thread.

TL;DR: Weather trumps everything. We shouldn't neglect a rising evil because we've seen worse.
Amazing post, but I really want to know how "fat bug's best friends werent OP last gen because all their arch nemesis were only nerfed/banned recently" turned into "We should neglect this broken thing because weather was even worse".
If anyone is neglecting a great evil, its the crowd who wants the entire blame on one pokemon to cause a small dent on the strategy instead of actually fixing the problem.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
The reason slippery slopes aren't realistic arguments is because we discuss and judge each issue independently. Precedent is considered for each situation, but we'll never make an action solely because that's what we did in another similar situation. If something's not ban worthy, there's very little danger of it getting banned.

What I'm questioning is why Rotosect mentioned slippery slope at all.
Because the issue with Baton Pass teams went from "6 pokemon who posses just enough tools to counter almost every major threat in the OU tier" to "Scolipede+Espeon+Sylveon+Vaporeon is still broken". Just read the the comments from the first 20-30 pages compared to the most recent ones and it's painfully obvious.
Why didn't anyone besides me suggest a five BP limit? Why is everyone immediatly jumping to 2, 3 or 4?
That's a slippery slope if you ask me.

Because the issue with Baton Pass teams went from "6 pokemon who posses just enough tools to counter almost every major threat in the OU tier" to "Scolipede+Espeon+Sylveon+Vaporeon is still broken". Just read the the comments from the first 20-30 pages compared to the most recent ones and it's painfully obvious.
Why didn't anyone besides me suggest a five BP limit? Why is everyone immediatly jumping to 2, 3 or 4?
Because people tested 5 BP teams, and they're still as broken as, if not even more broken than, 6 BP teams. They can still run Scolipede+Espeon+Sylveon (which is the true BP core, IMHO) and their choice of two of Zapdos, Smeargle, and/or Vaporeon. What people are testing now are if 4 BP Teams are still broken (which I suspect they are).

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What I don't like about Baton Pass teams is that even players on a beginner level can potentially sweep an entire team made and used by an experienced and seasoned player. It's a lot like the whole Swagger fiasco; it just takes away from the fun, and is a very "easy mode" play-style, taking away the need of skill for the most part and turning it into a race to kill the lead before it sets up. But I say we should point fingers at Speed Boost in a Baton Pass team. Scolipede and Ninjask can just Protect stall to get a speed boost or two with little to no risk and make damn near anything unfairly fast, which may be the main reason as to why the play-style is so broken in the first place. I say there should at least be a Speed Boost + Baton Pass clause, much like the Swift Swim + Drizzle clause in B/W, so it doesn't make it a broken play-style.

Erm, many people have been saying 3/4 for a while now.
I suggest 3 because it brings forth a bit of balancing, where as 4 gives you the 4 vital Pokemon you can work a BP chain with, and doesn't really stop the abusive aspect of the "strategy".
A BP chain can do without Vaporeon and Mr.Mime if we're being honest here, the Pokes you see on almost all decent BP chains are Scoli, Espeon, Smeargle, and Sylveon. So, personally, I think dropping it to three would force people to have to choose which of the three they want thus giving the opponent the chance to use whatever the opposing team is missing to their advantage.

Last edited:
I don't think it needs to be banned, baton pass, or Espeons use of it. (No I do not use baton pass in my team) However I do use Taunt. Before I added taunt Sableye to my team, which I added yesterday, I didn't have much of a problem with Baton pass... If you KO the stat raiser, or use taunt they can not baton pass... HA Quagsire also helps a lot, he ignores the stat changes and can use encore on them so they have to keep raising their stat (Espon keep using calm mind) Or return, which will reset the stat changes anyway.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Scolipede is broken against offensive teams, due to being able to use nearly every physical mon as setup bait. Even mega pinsir and talonflame are not counters, they need to be out BEFORE scolipede comes out, because they cannot ohko a +2 scoli, meaning scoli gets to pass his +2 and he has done his job Furthermore, he has done his job and probably has enough health to do so again. So no, talonflame and megapinsir do not counter scoli, they can only check him (they do so very well, but still). Taunt thundy-I can only counter him after mental herb has been burned, so before that, scoli still gets his quick pass, meaning thundy-I isn't a full counter either (though this one comes pretty darn close).
You're certainly correct that it can set up iron defense everywhere haha.
However, there are a few certain aspects you're missing to this: Boosting.
Even IF scolipede is setting up iron defenses, if there's a mega mawile right next to ya setting up Swords Dance, you're gonna be in some deep shit no matter HOW many defensive boosts you get. So you have to watch out for that too.
Also, why in the world are you not leading with talonflame or mega pinsir against baton pass anyway. You ought to lead with something that can hurt scolipede on an offensive team, so doing something stupid like leading with Garchomp (w/out fire blast) to only give a free turn switching out into something else isn't something a smart player would do. You cannot waste the crucial turns you have at the beginning of the match.

Due to his ability to setup +2 defense and +1-2 speed against nearly any offensive mon and a decent number of defensive mons as well, this makes him very hard to deal with for offensive teams. Vaporeon isn't as big of a deal because you have the option of 2hkoing her (or just use a taunter with non-abyssmal speed, mental herb isn't great on vap), greatly increasing the number of counters. Zapdos is harder to counter, but easier to check due to requiring a turn of vulnerability to setup agility and the inability to boost defense, leaving it vulnerable to strong physical attacks (not to mention being rather slow pre boost).
If you have a pokemon that can boost attack or special attack sharply (NP thundurus, SD mega Pinsir, and a few more obscure ones like SD char-x)
it can probably actually handle scolipede quite well!
Yes, Scolipede is setting iron defense safely on a disturbing number of pokemon, I agree. But it's not as good against offense as you say.
Ninjask is less broken because it can't use darn near an entire meta as setup bait to boost defense AND speed, and that's huge.
*Calcs*
Yep. Ninjask is far inferior to what scoli does.
Ok, am I the only one finding a mon capable of using friggen E-KILLER ARCEUS AS SETUP BAIT exceedingly disturbing? If being able to setup in front of one of ubers most dangerous physical sweepers isn't utterly terrifying, I dunno what is. Ninjask never was, and never will be able to pull any of that off, and that is why banning iron defense scolipede will be enough to balance BP teams versus offensive teams.
You said it yourself! Banning iron defense scolipede balances BP versus offensive, but not defensive! So thanks to your ineffective ban, the entire meta must run offensive teams in order to not be run over by baton pass. Is this what we want to do? The purpose of what we're trying to do here is to make baton pass possible to handle by any team archetype! This includes STALL!!!!
Just banning scolipede doesn't do this, which is why we shouldn't do it.

the-bumper-car You probably know my position, I think iron defense scolipede is broken on any team, not just BP. I do not think limiting BP members will fix that simply because BP isn't the problem (versus offense. BP versus stall is a very different matchup). If you aim to balance BP versus all teams, my opinion is that a ban of iron defense scolipede and ingrain smeargle would be most prudent. I do not believe a cap is necessary at the time.
That's not really true....
You can just phaze or just throw around powerful special attacks if iron defense scolipede is on a team without espeon or a special wall.
Now, judging by how you phrased your sentence right there, you're suggesting that ingrain smeargle is why stall can't break through Baton Pass, as iron defense scolipede is what some offensive teams aren't breaking through.
Ingrain smeargle really really REALLY isn't the main problem here! How do you guys start pointing out members of baton pass OTHER than the MOST OBVIOUSLY BROKEN ONE ON THERE!!?!?!!? If you really want to get rid of a pokemon, it's friggin ESPEON holding that goddam team together! If you want to nerf baton pass against stall, it's ESPEON that you need to get rid of! Perhaps that isn't the case for offensive teams, but there's no one pokemon to get rid of that's taking on entire offensive teams regardless, even after a few boosts. Scolipede comes close, but like you said, there are several ways to get around it.

Sigh. . .
The point in me posting that replay was to show it isn't impossible like you say it is. . .
I got on put those three together, got on an alt and went at it.

I simply stopped at 24/3 because it took no skill to get me there and it was obnoxious using it. I felt bad for using it at all.
What I'm trying to prove was pretty obvious actually. . .

It is not impossible to pull a win with a 3 Poke BP chain. It takes a bit more skill and is also a bit more manageable. That is the point in this thread.

It's unfortunate you didn't grasp that the first time. . .
I dont like it how you say it takes a bit more skill and is a bit more manageable... becaus it wud take insane skill to succeed with it and it wud be easy to manage. And btw we shud rely stop arguing, because were i dont deny your opinion of limiting the amount off baton passers, as it is very possible it will happen. What we now argue is just some things that dont affect the thread at all and is for that reason unnecessary :)

Srn9130 You are certainly correct that many mons can setup along side you, however, since scolipede usually is faster, he will almost always get his boosts first. Furthermore, relatively few physical mons can ohko given equal boosts. Lastly, scolipede can pass to whoever he feels like, so if the enemy decides to get into a setup race with scoli, scoli will always at least get a pass off, leaving it to the recipient to counter the opposing setuper. Let us use your megamaw example...

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. +2 252 HP / 252 Def Scolipede: 106-126 (32.7 - 38.8%) -- 99.3% chance to 3HKO

Since scoli outspeeds even without speed invest or speed boosts, no prediction is required here. This means that megamaw's only option is to boost along side scoli. Since scoli is unlikely to stay out once he hits +6, the next calc is kinda irrelevent, but since it is generally agreed that his phys bulk is mediocre, it's a helpful base case.

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. +6 252 HP / 252 Def Scolipede: 211-249 (65.1 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Now think of all the mons that actually have good phys bulk, such as dnite, gyrados, charizard, entei, and a slew of other good mons that can come in on what is essentially a +0 megamaw incapable of setting up. They now have essentially a free swap in. However, unlike most times when you swap in a counter, this time the opponent is screwed because he is now facing a powerful offensive threat that is essentially invincible on the physical side as well as having near infinite speed. Do you know how many threats would kill to have that? Think of all the dragons that hate ice shard, think of all the mons that can be revenged by CB tflame, think of all the teams that rely on priority or scarfers to take out boosted threats that outspeed and kill their team, those options are now GONE. Literally your only hope is that the mon that swapped into mega-maw either does not boost and you have a mon that can phase it, OR that the mon that swapped into mega maw gets cocky, tries to boost, and gets 2hko'd by megamaw. That's way too good of a win condition for the reliability in which scolipede gets his boosts.

You said it yourself! Banning iron defense scolipede balances BP versus offensive, but not defensive! So thanks to your ineffective ban, the entire meta must run offensive teams in order to not be run over by baton pass. Is this what we want to do? The purpose of what we're trying to do here is to make baton pass possible to handle by any team archetype! This includes STALL!!!!
Just banning scolipede doesn't do this, which is why we shouldn't do it.
The reality of the situation is that it will likely take more then a single ban to balance BP. I have been focusing on iron-defense scolipede because 1. I feel he's more broken then anyone else on BP and 2. Because trying to advocate 2 bans at the same time would confuse others, points would've likely gotten mixed up, and I feel that it would've been more effective to argue for one ban at a time. As you have stated, banning iron defense scoli balances BP verses offense, which is one of our goals. The other goal is to balance it versus defense. Offense and defense are two very different things, and it would be folly to assume that one thing breaks an archetype against both of them.

That's not really true....
You can just phaze or just throw around powerful special attacks if iron defense scolipede is on a team without espeon or a special wall.
Now, judging by how you phrased your sentence right there, you're suggesting that ingrain smeargle is why stall can't break through Baton Pass, as iron defense scolipede is what some offensive teams aren't breaking through.
Ingrain smeargle really really REALLY isn't the main problem here! How do you guys start pointing out members of baton pass OTHER than the MOST OBVIOUSLY BROKEN ONE ON THERE!!?!?!!? If you really want to get rid of a pokemon, it's friggin ESPEON holding that goddam team together! If you want to nerf baton pass against stall, it's ESPEON that you need to get rid of! Perhaps that isn't the case for offensive teams, but there's no one pokemon to get rid of that's taking on entire offensive teams regardless, even after a few boosts. Scolipede comes close, but like you said, there are several ways to get around it.
First off, scolipede is not broken because there exists mons that he cannot setup on. Every mon has opponents that he cannot setup on, even e-killer arceus. What makes scolipede broken is the ridiculous number of mons he CAN setup on. I love how you are assuming that scoli can only be led and cannot come in after a mon is killed. Scolipede works as a lead simply because he is able to setup in front of the vast majority of the OU tier, which makes him broken. If it were any other pokemon, you would be laughed at for trying to lead with your setup sweeper, but scolipede manages to work because in the vast majority of it's matchups, it can pass its +2 defense and speed and still have enough HP to do so a second time. The fact that he cannot setup in front of tflame is irrelevant, one of the calcs I showed tflame being unable to counter scolipede because if it swaps in on an iron defense, it fails to come close to ohkoing, even with SR up. It isn't just some offensive teams that have difficulty breaking through scolipede, ALL OF THEM DO, because the vast majority of things that can kill speed boosted threats are physically based.

You have also suggested that espeon is a bigger problem for stall then ingrain smeargle (it sure as heck ain't more broken then scolipede for anything but stall, there is no long list of uber mons that espeon can successfully setup calm mind in front of and live to tell the tale). I personally disagree. I believe ingrain smeargle is broken versus stall because it requires only one free turn to make the entire team immune to phasing, forever. Ingrain also makes it much harder to wear down espeon through scald burns, weak phys attacks and s-toss, due to essentially doubling lefties healing. Espeon is powerful, but the reason it is balanced is that it needs to be out in order to block most of stall's weapons. Ingrain smeargle only needs one free swap in in order to permanently remove one of stalls greatest weapons and greatly hinder the other. Wearing down espeon is stall's win-con vs BP, once espeon is gone, stall basically auto-wins. Ingrain makes it too difficult to wear down espeon, breaking the matchup.

To further support my point, here's a replay where a stall player would have won had it not been for ingrain.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-110739069

Quoting my own analysis for convenience.

During this replay, denis gets ingrain off early, which allowed his espeon to have roughly twice as many substitutes up while at the same time allowing both espeon and vaporeon to shrug off burn damage. Ingrain healing also made it nearly impossible for s-toss chansey to stop the boosting, as it was turning 4hkos into 5 or 6 hkos, which turned out to be super relevent in the endgame as it allowed sylv to get one more boost off and allowed espeon to live just long enough to take out chansey. Lastly, the early ingrain basically meant that denis feared NOTHING from sandstorm's skarm, who could've turned around the fight by threatening with whirlwind and using BB instead. This threat was not possible, however, due to ingrain smeargle.

TL;DR ingrain smeargle was the reason sandstorm lost this match, and that gives me reason to believe that banning ingrain smeargle will help stall fight BP more effectively with scald burns, s-toss, subs actually costing hp, and being able to threaten non-espeon opponents with whirlwind, giving stall more counterplay options.

Amazing post, but I really want to know how "fat bug's best friends werent OP last gen because all their arch nemesis were only nerfed/banned recently" turned into "We should neglect this broken thing because weather was even worse".
If anyone is neglecting a great evil, its the crowd who wants the entire blame on one pokemon to cause a small dent on the strategy instead of actually fixing the problem.
I think banning Scolipede is less effective than a cap, but Scolipede (its ability to go +3 in a turn and pass it much more consistently than Smeargle, Venomoth, Shell Smashers, &c.) pushed the strategy into unfair territories. I fully expect a cap to be implemented if there was one for the ADV metagame.
I like the cap, and I like it at 3, but it does need suspecting.
It's tough. I'd be fine with a cap, but we definitely need a vote. A vote on whether BP chains should retain a presence in the OU metagame (or simply be nerfed), then how to accomplish the first vote's result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)