Baton Pass - its role in the metagame and possible solutions to nerf full Baton Pass chains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awagarb I understand your point, but I think Over Zealous 's point (call me out if I get this wrong, k?) Is that in any given matchup, scolipede has the option of pretending it's a ninjask and do the exact same strategy ninjask has, precisely as effectively. However, when given a more favorable matchup, such as darn near any physical attacker, scolipede can then setup defense in the opponents face, turning what would normally be a relatively favorable matchup like SD vs speed booster or priority vs speed booster into an exceedingly unfavorable one. Ninjask is weak to priority, ninjask can also be counterboosted and counterboosted quite effectively. Scolipede does not have these significant weaknesses while maintaining darn near every single strength ninjask has, and that's what pushes it into "OP" territory.

*edit*

Also, I've been running some tests with a mono-BP team, or a team with quick pass scoli and 5 other random mons with no BP. I am currently 1.6K and have done more manaphy and megachomp sweeps VIA quickpass then I care to count. I will start posting replays when I get to about 1.7K. I do find it hilarious when people get mad at me for using BP, even though it only contains one BPer, meaning my team would only be invalid if iron defense scoli gets banned (who is holding this otherwise bad team together)

Your entire replay is based around Perish Song and your opponents BP Team didn't have Mr. Mime. If it did, you'd have lost. Also, nice team btw, Water Absorb Politoed and Durant have been making a comeback recently.
If he has Mr. Mime all I need is fake out + knock off from Hitmonlee, I dunno how that helps his team.

Also, all you need is perish song to beat a BP team. Mr. Mime is so niche... I've never even seen one in OU since this gen started.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If he has Mr. Mime all I need is fake out + knock off from Hitmonlee, I dunno how that helps his team.
Mr. Mime has Soundproof, which blocks Perish Song and Roar. And also:

252+ Atk Normal Gem Hitmonlee Fake Out vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mr. Mime: (29.5 - 34.8%) guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

So basically, Mr. Mime doesn't even care about Fake Out.

As for Knock Off:

252+ Atk Hitmonlee Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mr. Mime: (54.9 - 64.7%) guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

So after Lefotvers recovery, the combined damage from Fake Out and Knock Off will leave Mr. Mime with at worst about 6.5% of his health, and that doesn't even consider a possible Iron Defense buff.

Last edited:

Also, all you need is perish song to beat a BP team. Mr. Mime is so niche... I've never even seen one in OU since this gen started.
I don't get it. Hitmonlee doesn't have Perish Song, you switch in Mr. Mime on a Perish Song user.
Also
Mr. Mime is so niche... I've never even seen one in OU since this gen started.
Mr. Mime is on every single competent BP team.

Yeah, it's often Scolipede / Espeon / Vaporeon / Sylveon / Smeargle / Mr. Mime or Zapdos, I kinda forgot for a second. Regardless, that's what Mime does, switch in on PSong users.

My team can beat any batonpass team, even if they know the gimmick.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-115986443

Stop trying to restrict people who play this game further -- banning BP is just going to make this game overall less fun. Just get good. Adapt. Stop forcing the metagame with such arbitrary rules like this - this kind of stuff is only going to be toxic to pokemon. How can we expect people to play with two dozen clauses in effect.

Baton Pass is easy to react to. Even if you fuck up, you always get a turn to switch in your counter, because they always have to stat boost and then baton pass. They will always BP into whatever you have ready. Clear Smog. Haze. Perish Song. Entrain. There's no easy defense against this stuff as a BP team.
It looks like your entire team is built specifically with beating Baton Pass in mind so you winning isn't really evidence that BP isn't broken. If anything it's the opposite. If people have to use teams like yours to beat BP, it's a problem because a team like yours isn't going to do well against any other playstyle. And like someone else said, you probably would have lost if your opponent had had Mr. Mime.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Out of curiosity how many people run unaware users on their team just because they like unaware and not to explicitly counter BP?
Their are only 2 viable Unaware users, Quagsire and Clefable. Quagsire is used pretty much exclusively on defensive teams to deal with boosted sweepers/wallbreakers but has mediocre at best Special bulk. Clefable is usable on more team archetypes and has better stats than Quagsire all around but has a notable opportunity cost in losing Magic Guard and Softboiled and loses to some notable Hyper Offensive threats (like Bisharp, Gengar, and Lando-I with Sludge Wave) even with Unaware.

Guess which pokemon can also do that with the exact same efficiency? Ninjask.
Stop switching Scolipede's job back and forth from defense+speed to just speed whenever it suits you.

Pretty sure trying to use ID in front of something that can one shot you with a simple flamethrower, even at max spdef investiment, constitutes a blatantly stupid risk. Losing the match trying to get +2 def has a pretty bad risk-reward for the Scolipede. You cant "afford" to ID, just substitute, and the more you sub hoping for a NP instead of protecting, the more health you lose and the less likely it is for your opponent to nasty plot.
Werent you the one who said D-dancing (3 times, no less) in front of a Scolipede, even after it had a substitute up, was not an obvious mistake?
I didnt even say you should be nasty plotting against Scolipede, just that it makes even the gathering of speed boosts or calm minds risky, since the only answer to this is switching smeargle to spore and can only be done once without free subs. Zero if Ninetales had lum berry instead of lefties.

Ninetales is also commonly seen with flamethrower, needing at least 24 turns to outstall, roar, which will need perfect prediction again and substitute, which removes the only "safe" method of dealing with a boosting Ninetales, specially if he has flamethrower/solar beam/NP/sub.
Let me guess : you will not only predict his entire set, but every play during the entire match and manage to safely spore him anyway, right?

For someone who doesnt want anyone using prediction to get an advantage during obvious passes to magic bounce, soundproof to soak perish song or even setting up during protect turns, you sure as hell love using prediction as an argument.

...Are we talking about the same thing? You're not even supposed to have a Gliscor. Did you just trade Sylveon for yet another physical wall just so he can cover Vaporeon's weakness to thunder? Either you have no special walls or you already swapped out at least 1/3 of the team without warning, meaning you can continue to morph Scolipede's team to deal with everything in a heartbeat.
Its also under the rain. Against a team filled with special water and ice moves.
There is absolutely no way this is going to work unless it was a choiced move or you had a sub up/lots of calm minds already, but a subbed Gliscor with infinite speed already means doom to everything not immune to toxic.

Overwhelming support means at least +1~2 speed... and baton pass teams can surely overcome most of its counters with just +1~2 speed...
So the logical solution is banning the best quick passer and not the strategy that needs only +1 speed to be broken. What?

I'm really, really sorry you fail to understand how Scolipede is overwhelmingly more effective, bulky, and supportive than Ninjask. It's futile to pretend Ninjask can do what Scolipede can do. It's foolish to think he is an adequate replacement, despite several people across this entire thread listing exactly why Scolipede outclasses Ninjask in every way, provides far more support, far more reliably. But in one last attempt to inform you:

- Scolipede has superior defensive typing and bulk. This means he can switch in even on Stealth Rock, and come into play multiple times throughout the game. Note: Ninjask cannot even switch into the game on account of abysmal defensive typing (x4 weak to Stealth Rocks, which also break his Focus Sash), and nonexistent bulk. This means, beyond a suicide lead, Ninjask is useless.

- Scolipede simultaneously boosts Defense, where Ninjask cannot. This means the chain is no longer threatened by physical presence.

- Scolipede can support the team many times, reliably and efficiently, over the course of a single match, where Ninjask simply cannot.
So give up comparing Ninjask and Scolipede simply because "SPEEDBOOSTLOL!" and stop pretending Ninjask can provide the same reliability, versatility, and functionality as Scolipede.

If you can threaten Scolipede, like with repeated Sun-boosted Flamethrowers, at best, Scolipede can stay in and acquire max Speed. Very few Pokemon can actually force Scolipede out, and most are helpless to stop Scolipede from obtaining x3 Speed and at least x2 Def. I'm not switching Scolipede's role; his role is Uber-like support for the Baton Pass chain. Get this through your mind.

Understand this: there's next to nothing that stops Scolipede from overwhelmingly supporting the team, scarcely a threat that prevents it from obtaining Speed and Def; it's a trivial affair. Spam Flamethrower, Scolipede is free to Substitute until max Speed, exactly what it needs to do, and Baton Pass. Take the idiotic risk of Nasty Plotting, and with Scolipede then behind a Substitute, it's free to Iron Defence at least once.

Scolipede, between Substitute and Protect, allows the user to scout Ninetales, and virtually any set on any Pokemon. With or without a Substitute, Scolipede can Pass to Smeargle, and with Focus Sash and x4 Speed, can easily Spore Ninetales. Under the threat of Roar and phasing, Ingrain. Otherwise, Quiver Dance. In fear of priority, Pass after Spore. It's not using prediction as an argument, it's using practicality and basic knowledge of the metagame and an optimal set. Anotherwords, we must logically assume the user of Scolipede knows how to utilize Scolipede.

While Gliscor is not a member of dEnIsSsS's #2 Baton Pass team, he is certainly a viable and useful member, and to dismiss him as unviable or unworthy is ignorant and cowardly. Many Baton Pass teams run him for sheer physical bulk, good typing, ability to SD, or more importantly, Taunt. Gliscor is a common Baton Pass member to help counter one of Baton Pass' most notorious counters with its own move: x4 Speed Taunt. It also helps defeat other Baton Pass teams, in a similar vein as Heart Swap Smeargle.

Support Characteristic
A Pokémon is Uber if, in common battle conditions, it can consistently set up a situation in which it makes it substantially easier for other Pokemon to sweep

A Pokemon is Uber if, in a given metagame, it is a dominating force and dictates playstyles to such an extent as to be majorly centralizing.
Scolipede has so few counters (not even Prankster Taunt preventing it from at least Speed Boosting once via Protect and Mental Herb). Virtually nothing in the entire metagame can force it out, and fewer can prevent it from doing its job. Virtually nothing stops Scolipede from doing its job many times in a single match.

All of the options you stated still leaves baton pass with an incredible match-up against stall, which isn't fair at all. If we are to nerf baton pass, we are to make it manageable by any archetype (including stall).
What u say is true, with the scolipede plus iron defence complex ban - stall will still have a hard time, not as hard, but still too hard. As this would be a too little nerf in ur opinion (mine too) and as banning ingrain also would be to little a nerf, a very good solution to this problem could be to the following: making a complex ban of scolipede and iron defense and also banning ingrain. This may sound like an awful amount of banning, but wouldnt affect anything else than baton pass, in a very appropriate way and still keep the playstyle valid. If we were to ban scolipede plus iron defence, then baton passers couldnt get the defence boosting alongside with the speed boosting, this would make the baton pass chains progress slower and less overpowered and much easier to deal with for any type of team (except for stall). Then again, if we had that problem solved and we still need to solve the stall problem we could ban ingrain, since its used no where else in the meta - only in baton pass teams. This would require much more skill of the baton passer and the guy who would predict better would win. Heres a situation as an example, skarmory with stealth rock whirlwind and brave bird: now, that scolipede cant boost its defences its going to take alot of predicting to espeon on the whirlwinds and so, since espeon cant take many of thos brave birds and since vaporeon can be whirlwinded. SO the combination of both these bans will keep the playstyle well restricted, giving any other playstyle a fair shot at winning, but still, as a good baton passer, I can honestly say that the playstyle will be kept valid and that there still is ways to get the boost delivered. So this would be a fair nerf for everybody. :)

Haze Quagsire, Perish Song Politoed, Haze Milotic, Haze Crobat are pretty much only used to take the boosts away from BP teams. They are dead weight otherwise though, which may explain why they are not seen much. (Not to mention they aren't even that good at their job)
Haze Milotic is actually pretty decent at doing what it's supposed to do (stop all but the most obscenely powerful setup sweepers) and has been doing so for generations. In fact Haze/Dragon Tail is a staple on most defensive Milotic sets.

I'm really, really sorry you fail to understand how Scolipede is overwhelmingly more effective, bulky, and supportive than Ninjask. It's futile to pretend Ninjask can do what Scolipede can do. It's foolish to think he is an adequate replacement, despite several people across this entire thread listing exactly why Scolipede outclasses Ninjask in every way, provides far more support, far more reliably. But in one last attempt to inform you:

- Scolipede has superior defensive typing and bulk. This means he can switch in even on Stealth Rock, and come into play multiple times throughout the game. Note: Ninjask cannot even switch into the game on account of abysmal defensive typing (x4 weak to Stealth Rocks, which also break his Focus Sash), and nonexistent bulk. This means, beyond a suicide lead, Ninjask is useless.

- Scolipede simultaneously boosts Defense, where Ninjask cannot. This means the chain is no longer threatened by physical presence.

- Scolipede can support the team many times, reliably and efficiently, over the course of a single match, where Ninjask simply cannot.
So give up comparing Ninjask and Scolipede simply because "SPEEDBOOSTLOL!" and stop pretending Ninjask can provide the same reliability, versatility, and functionality as Scolipede.

If you can threaten Scolipede, like with repeated Sun-boosted Flamethrowers, at best, Scolipede can stay in and acquire max Speed. Very few Pokemon can actually force Scolipede out, and most are helpless to stop Scolipede from obtaining x3 Speed and at least x2 Def. I'm not switching Scolipede's role; his role is Uber-like support for the Baton Pass chain. Get this through your mind.

Understand this: there's next to nothing that stops Scolipede from overwhelmingly supporting the team, scarcely a threat that prevents it from obtaining Speed and Def; it's a trivial affair. Spam Flamethrower, Scolipede is free to Substitute until max Speed, exactly what it needs to do, and Baton Pass. Take the idiotic risk of Nasty Plotting, and with Scolipede then behind a Substitute, it's free to Iron Defence at least once.

Scolipede, between Substitute and Protect, allows the user to scout Ninetales, and virtually any set on any Pokemon. With or without a Substitute, Scolipede can Pass to Smeargle, and with Focus Sash and x4 Speed, can easily Spore Ninetales. Under the threat of Roar and phasing, Ingrain. Otherwise, Quiver Dance. In fear of priority, Pass after Spore. It's not using prediction as an argument, it's using practicality and basic knowledge of the metagame and an optimal set. Anotherwords, we must logically assume the user of Scolipede knows how to utilize Scolipede.

While Gliscor is not a member of dEnIsSsS's #2 Baton Pass team, he is certainly a viable and useful member, and to dismiss him as unviable or unworthy is ignorant and cowardly. Many Baton Pass teams run him for sheer physical bulk, good typing, ability to SD, or more importantly, Taunt. Gliscor is a common Baton Pass member to help counter one of Baton Pass' most notorious counters with its own move: x4 Speed Taunt. It also helps defeat other Baton Pass teams, in a similar vein as Heart Swap Smeargle.

Support Characteristic
A Pokémon is Uber if, in common battle conditions, it can consistently set up a situation in which it makes it substantially easier for other Pokemon to sweep

A Pokemon is Uber if, in a given metagame, it is a dominating force and dictates playstyles to such an extent as to be majorly centralizing.
Scolipede has so few counters (not even Prankster Taunt preventing it from at least Speed Boosting once via Protect and Mental Herb). Virtually nothing in the entire metagame can force it out, and fewer can prevent it from doing its job. Virtually nothing stops Scolipede from doing its job many times in a single match.

All true, but so what? It'll be slightly harder to set up, but still effective. You act like BP with Ninjask was nowhere to be seen at the top of the gen 5 ladders, when in fact it was just as common as it is now (at least on PO).

Okay, this post provides further reason to close this thread. The relevant arguments have all been exhausted, clearly. Mr. Mime is a prominent force on baton pass teams, and the number 1 player uses it. From where I sit, the new posts that are being made can be divided into three categories:
1. A player with zero ladder experience beyond 1500 stating that they have never lost to BP, so it can't be that bad.
2. A player with zero ladder experience beyond 1500 suggesting pointless strategies that "hard counter" BP (e.g. Fake Out Hitmonlee is apparently an easy answer to Mr. Mime... wut?).
3. Experienced players correcting the logic posted by the players mentioned in (1) and (2).

This thread won't achieve anything productive from here. There is no benefit to leaving it open. I for one am just waiting to see what relevant action will take place.

It looks like your entire team is built specifically with beating Baton Pass in mind so you winning isn't really evidence that BP isn't broken. If anything it's the opposite. If people have to use teams like yours to beat BP, it's a problem because a team like yours isn't going to do well against any other playstyle. And like someone else said, you probably would have lost if your opponent had had Mr. Mime.
Are you saying that there was no way for your opponent to recognize the Entertainment/Trap gimmick? Try again. Your opponent had no idea what was happening. As a result, he (or she) lost.

Interestingly enough, the player that you beat did not have a team consisting of a full BP chain. Rather, their team consisted of 3 baton pass users (Espeon, Sylveon and Scolipede) combined with 3 standard pokemon (Clefable, Thundurus and Charizard X). This team is an example of a "nerfed" baton pass team, so your victory has absolutely no value when arguing against the nerf. Please understand that this thread is centered around full baton pass chains, not any team where a Pokemon uses baton pass.

EDIT: sorry buds, this was directed at anubite, not you :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AM
I notice that everybody has brought up Ninjask as a replacement to Scolipede, and it's true that it really doesn't. Know what could, though? Whirlipede. While you do lose out on Mental Herb, you actually gain significant bulk through Eviolite:
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 128-152 (39.5 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Whirlipede: 80-96 (28.1 - 33.8%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO
All BP has to do is slap the Mental Herb on another mon, switch Scolipede for Whirlipede, and bam, BP doesn't get a nerf, it simply changes which matchups are favorable and which are not. BP's lead would be change to something able to take strong Special attacks like Specs Keldeo's HPump, while Prankster Taunt would become more of an issue. All in all, BP wouldn't even get nerfed at all; it would simply change to "different, but still broken".
The problem with this idea is pretty fatal: Whirlipede doesn't learn Baton Pass.

My team is built around durant+truant+entrain, nothing else really.

It's pretty easy to beat a team that counters BP. Like, I always have some combo of WW or Perish or priority Taunt... There are so many damn ways to counter BP this thread just doesn't make sense to me. You even get an additional turn to counter.

If I Perish Song and he switches in Mr Mime and I somehow didn't see it coming he gets one turn to do a stat boost, meanwhile I bring in durant and entrain if he tries to BP next turn.... worst case scenario is I just sit there with Politoed and just Perish Song when he BPs. Which is why I said I don't get why Mr Mime is any good - if you have half a brain you'll just wait around to BP to Perish again -- and he'll always be vulnerable to it because he consumes a turn BPing. ANd even if I have to switch out and switch back in again to Perish again, he's a BPer so I can afford to do that.

Support Characteristic

Support Characteristic

Why is Stealth Rock the double standard then? It consistently sets up situations where it makes it substantially easier to sweep an enemy team. This is what's so backwards about this - SR is even harder to properly counter half the time on a team that's vulnerable to it vs any dumb BP gimmick. Yet it's been fine for generations, even when the only real counter was taunt or rapid spin. Even now, SR significantly reduces pokemon viability to the point where OU is highly exclusive.

I'm really sorry that people don't seem to see this double standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is Stealth Rock the double standard then? It consistently sets up situations where it makes it substantially easier to sweep an enemy team. This is what's so backwards about this - SR is even harder to properly counter half the time on a team that's vulnerable to it vs any dumb BP gimmick. Yet it's been fine for generations, even when the only real counter was taunt or rapid spin. Even now, SR significantly reduces pokemon viability to the point where OU is highly exclusive.

Over Zealous's definition applied to a Pokemon being Uber, not to a move. While there is no doubt that Stealth Rocks is a very dominant force in the metagame, I think a comparison between Stealth Rocks and Baton Pass (or Scolipede) is irrelevant for two main reasons.

1. Stealth Rocks can be easily removed through Rapid Spin or Defog. A large amount of viable users of Rapid Spin (ex. Excadrill) and Defog (ex. Latios) means that every team can usually fit one of these Pokemon on without being inferior to teams that don't run Stealth Rocks. In fact, the Defog buff this gen has allowed Pokemon that would normally be hard to use due to Stealth Rocks (Meag-Charizard, Talonflame, Mega-Pinsir) become very viable and powerful threats. In contrast, teams that run dedicated Baton Pass counters like Prankster Haze Murkrow will be at a disadvantage when playing non-Baton Pass teams.

2. Stealth Rocks does not create auto-win/loss situations. Unless your opponent is running a team full of Stealth Rocks weak Pokemon without a spinner or Defog user, Stealth Rocks itself does not dictate who will win. It is the combination of Stealth Rocks and good offensive or defensive pressure that leads to a team winning. Likewise, it is still very possible to win a game in which Stealth Rocks is on your side of the field for the entire match. In contrast, teams that lack dedicated Baton Pass counters face a significant disadvantage against full Baton Pass teams, leading to Baton Pass teams winning almost all of the time. In addition, teams that run dedicated Baton Pass counters will have a significant advantage against Baton Pass teams, leading to a very easy win.

In contrast, teams that lack dedicated Baton Pass counters face a significant disadvantage against full Baton Pass teams
This statement has been shown to be false, as offensive teams (most universally successful playstyle) can easily beat a BP team without having to resort to anything specific it otherwise wouldn't use were it not for BP. Pinsir, Thundurus-I, Landorus-I, Talonflame and a handful of other offensive staples are capable of applying overwhelming immediate pressure on BP and have zero opportunity cost as far as the playstyle is concerned.

honestly, while i'm still a tad hesitant on banning scolipede, i completely agree that ninjask, while he can sort of perform a similar role, is clearly inferior to scolipede. i mean, an ice shard or a priority brave bird fucks its entire life up. it seems that simple to me to end ninjask. harden will barely do anything, priority on both of those moves will beat out sub, and then his sub will fail when he's down to his sash. what can ninjask actually do against ice shard/t-flame?

honestly, while i'm still a tad hesitant on banning scolipede, i completely agree that ninjask, while he can sort of perform a similar role, is clearly inferior to scolipede. i mean, an ice shard or a priority brave bird fucks its entire life up. it seems that simple to me to end ninjask. harden will barely do anything, priority on both of those moves will beat out sub, and then his sub will fail when he's down to his sash. what can ninjask actually do against ice shard/t-flame?
So am I forced to run Talonflame or an Ice Sharder (what, Mamoswine? Cloyster? Donphan, maybe?) in order to beat a BP team if Scolipede is banned?

Again, rather than pointlessly arguing about how Scolipede is superior to Ninjask (which everybody agrees to) we need to test (not suspect) BP with Ninjask to prove how it can or cannot do its traditional job in XY.

It has already been shown that the best pokemon limit for a BP clause is 3, as a team with 4 can still perform too well, and a team with 2 Baton Passers is just not a BP team anymore, and isn't effective at all. Now the Scolipede issue is pending, and should be dealt with as it would be a so simple ban... The question is, would it be effective?

EDIT: Elaborate a bit more.

Last edited:
My team is built around durant+truant+entrain, nothing else really.

It's pretty easy to beat a team that counters BP. Like, I always have some combo of WW or Perish or priority Taunt... There are so many damn ways to counter BP this thread just doesn't make sense to me. You even get an additional turn to counter.

If I Perish Song and he switches in Mr Mime and I somehow didn't see it coming he gets one turn to do a stat boost, meanwhile I bring in durant and entrain if he tries to BP next turn.... worst case scenario is I just sit there with Politoed and just Perish Song when he BPs. Which is why I said I don't get why Mr Mime is any good - if you have half a brain you'll just wait around to BP to Perish again -- and he'll always be vulnerable to it because he consumes a turn BPing. ANd even if I have to switch out and switch back in again to Perish again, he's a BPer so I can afford to do that.

Whether or not you intentionally built it to beat BP is irrelevant. I know I've already said a lot of this but let me just reiterate:
Your team is built around a gimmick that happened to handle your opponent's very well, so you won pretty easily. Their team wasn't even a full Baton Pass chain and it seems unlikely to me (and many others, based on how they've responded to your replay) that you would win against a chain featuring Mr. Mime. Even if you could beat full BP consistently with your team, it still wouldn't perform well against a decent stall or offensive team, so BP would be just about the only thing you would do well against.
Things like Perish Song and Prankster Taunt aren't all that useful outside of dealing with BP and they're not even that good at dealing with it since they are countered by Mr. Mime and Espeon, respectively. When you're running several otherwise outclassed Pokemon/moves just for the sake of having a fighting chance against one playstyle, it's a problem.
As for your argument about Stealth Rock, it's completely irrelevant as well, simply because this thread has absolutely nothing to do with SR. Can we try to stay on topic? Posts like yours are why people are calling for the closure of this thread, which really is a shame for those of us trying to help solve what we view as a problem within the current metagame.

So am I forced to run Talonflame or an Ice Sharder (what, Mamoswine? Cloyster? Donphan, maybe?) in order to beat a BP team if Scolipede is banned?

Again, rather than pointlessly arguing about how Scolipede is superior to Ninjask (which everybody agrees to) we need to test (not suspect) BP with Ninjask to prove how it can or cannot do its traditional job in XY.

It has already been shown that the best pokemon limit for a BP clause is 3, as a team with 4 can still perform too well, and a team with 2 Baton Passers is just not a BP team anymore, and isn't effective at all. Now the Scolipede issue is pending, and should be dealt with as it would be a so simple ban... The question is, would it be effective?

EDIT: Elaborate a bit more.
(there's also weavile, if you're into that)

I'm not saying that you're forced to run them, I'm not even saying I support the Scolipede ban so I definitely am not saying "if Ninjask takes his role, it will be easily managed, because ice shard". My main team doesn't have ice shard or t-flame, so I'd be fucked. As for everybody agreeing, that's just false. I've seen people arguing for the merits of Ninjask like a thousand times in this thread and thought I should point out that one of the most commonly run Pokemon in OU right now (t-flame) is its worst nightmare. Essentially saying, stop bringing up Ninjask, unless you have proof that he's effective, because as far as I can tell, anybody opening with a t-flame will run Ninjask's shit, and that's common (especially if you have t-flame on your team and you see a ninjask BP team, t-flame is the obvious choice). Until I see evidence that Ninjask can effectively fill Scolipede's role in the team, we should ignore him and try and figure out the best way to fix the issue.

Currently, I'm still down with the BP clause of 3. But a complex ban, I'm actually okay with in this scenario (and while complicated and annoying, may actually be the best route)

it seems that simple to me to end ninjask.
what can ninjask actually do against ice shard/t-flame?
Nothing. Thats why you dont lead with Ninjask if the opponent has a super effective priority. (Scolipede cant take a brave bird before at least one iron defense either)
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ninjask: 160-188 (49 - 57.6%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ninjask: 112-132 (34.3 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
If you dont have ice shard/t-flame on your team, Ninjask can still pass 1~3 speed under priority. The only difference is your lead loses more hp than normal and needs Vaporeon/whatever to boost def for your chain. Is this enough of a nerf?

Over Zealous
Downgrading to Ninjask means you :
- now need Vaporeon/Sashed Smeargle to boost defense
- cant set up against non-fighting priority
- have trouble dealing with physical HO in general
- most likely cant start the chain again, which you wont even need to do unless your opponent has several BP checks/scored lucky crits

Scolipede ban wont solve the BP problem entirely, only increase the number of counters, or rather, make the current checks more reliable. If anything, banning Espeon would open twice as many options to deal with BP.
Oh look, seems like I already acknowledged everything bad you are saying about Ninjask when I first talked to you. Funny, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)