Ladder Anything Goes

there's no other threads for this, but I've been looking at replays from top ladders in AG, and they're all both incredibly weird, but nicely interesting:

Mr.378 vs. krobbi - krobbi actually has a mega slowbro along with his rayquaza for specific scenarios, and he uses it to good effect

Juicy Semen vs. CHORUME - what a fucking name. also, shows a couple of notable tricks, like putting a lum berry on m-ray to swat out swagplay attempts, the strength of a darkrai willing to stall for a long time, and a very massive nuisance in a clefable with mirror coat, moonlight, double team and moonblast. (also, a walrein spamming fissure, in which not one managed to hit. poor walrein)

six glalie vs. BladeofEvil'sBane - I like to assume what this match is going to end up like to be quite obvious, for the most part

So here's a nice Klefki/SwagPlay counter for those that don't want to use up the Mega Slot on Mega Diancie or Mega Sableye.

Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Morning Sun
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Probably doesn't have the most optimal EV spread but that's just what I slapped on my team and called it a day.

logically, you shouldn't need any more than two or three klefki on your team. it wouldn't be a bad team for 6, per-se, just that there's so many other dangerous choices that work well with klefki here; after all, why spend more slots on extra stalling, when you can just swagplay out the problems, and let m-ray and arceus deal with everything else?

speaking of, BladeofEvil'sBane has a good klefki team, that also heavily centers around a lugia to help stall with:

SJB and IU vs. BladeofEvil'sBane

It feels a bit... unfitting that Endless Battle clause is still active in the "Do whatever the hell you want" tier. There's other comparably annoying things to do that are far more consistent and easier to pull off than the Leppa-Heal Pulse trap, which has a ton of conditions to work properly (the trapped pokemon needs: no boost move, no sub, no U-Turn/Volt Switch/BP, no Toxic and preferably no other status move, no Taunt/Encore etc.).

Last edited:
It feels a bit... unfitting that Endless Battle clause is still active in the "Do whatever the hell you want" tier. There's other comparably annoying things to do that are far more consistent and easier to pull off than the Leppa-Heal Pulse trap, which has a ton of conditions to work properly (the trapped pokemon needs: no boost move, no sub, no U-Turn/Volt Switch/BP, no Toxic and preferably no other status move, no Taunt/Encore etc.).
Do you really want to sit at your computer for 3 hours clicking struggle? The conditions don't even matter, what matters is it can be accomplished. Even apart from the fact that nobody should be even contesting this due to the raw stupidity of Endless Battling as a whole, I highly doubt PS! mods would want to have to go ban someone every other hour for pulling that shit off. There's just no reason to allow it.

Eh, having any clause in the designated "Do Whatever" tier just feels, for lack of a better term, aesthetically unpleasing and inappropriate. Like a crayon illustration for a Bible.

And there's certainly things already in the tier no one particularly wants to sit through either (*coughkeyspamcough*). What differentiates the endless battle trap from other protracted and non interactive strategies such as Moody subprotect spam; your arguments would also apply to the Moody clause, were it also banned ("No one wants to sit through 30 turns while a Bibarel just spams subprotect all day, and just multiply that by six!").

And players certainly do not spend three hours hoping their leppa-trapper actually concedes, they simply concede once they realize the trap is not breakable (which at the very worst, happens a few turns after the first struggle, if not within the first few turns of the trap if the player already knows the trap). The ability to concede, and common sense, come into play long before any indefinite battle occurs.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Eh, having any clause in the designated "Do Whatever" tier just feels, for lack of a better term, aesthetically unpleasing to me. Like a crayon illustration for a Bible. And there's certainly things already in the tier no one particularly wants to sit through either (*coughkeyspamcough*); what differentiates the endless battle trap from other drawn out and non interactive strategies such as Moody subprotect spam?
The difference is that Moody SubProtect spam will eventually end with someone winning.

Been having fun in this ladder so far. SwagPlay Klefki really seems to be holding its weight in my team. Speaking of which, I ran into a team of six dittos. Seems like a bad idea to me, but it was kind of fun to battle against.

p2

Banned deucer.
Thundurus-I is really good here

I'm trying out sets which let it counter SwagKey teams by subbing in front of Klefki, leaving it helpless since it needs 2 Foul Play hits to break a sub, right now I've got a spread of 88 HP / 100 Def / 252 Spa / 84 Spe with a Bold Nature.

EDIT: Only 88 HP / 76 Def is needed to stop Klefki breaking Subs

This set avoids Klefki's Foul Play breaking Thundurus' Subs which gives Thundurus free turns to spread Paralysis or just to break Klefki, however this doesn't avoid the Sub breaking from Sableye's Foul Play, but this shouldn't matter too much since it beats Sableye by outdamaging its recovery with Thunderbolt and nobody is going to be using Mega Sableye in this meta with Mega Ray running around.

0 Atk Klefki Foul Play vs. 88 HP / 76+ Def Thundurus: 68-80 (21.1 - 24.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sableye: 202-238 (66.4 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

In my search of a pokemon with Own Tempo and Roar/Whirlwind, Avalugg came up. Could it be a potential SwagKey counter without using up your mega slot?

So I missed most of the whole "SwagPlay" suspect testing.

Can someone explain to me why Klefki is everywhere?
There are a bunch of other Swag-play pokemon to abuse, especially with prankster.
Is it its typing? And how the fuck can this Keychain keep up with Mega Rayquaza and Primal Groudon?

It mainly has to do with Klefki's ability, Prankster, along with good typing. It can't really keep up with PDon, but MRay is susceptible to both TWave and Swagger. This makes it unlikely for MRay to attack, and you can also bully it with Foul Play in order to bring it down quicker.

having a fairy typing means full immunity to dragon, and full immunity to dragon means you're immune to at least one move on mega ray, since they need to have dragon ascent. on top of that, steel typing gives a lot of wonderful resistances, including tanking extremespeeds from arceus-normals.

coincidentally, you'll quickly find out that every single team in AG will have at least one arceus-normal (often two or more) and a mega ray, whether you want them to or not, so those are two mighty useful typings

e: nvm I'm bad

Last edited:
having a fairy typing means full immunity to dragon, and full immunity to dragon means you're immune to at least one move on mega ray, since they need to have dragon ascent. on top of that, steel typing gives a lot of wonderful resistances, including tanking extremespeeds from arceus-normals.

coincidentally, you'll quickly find out that every single team in AG will have at least one arceus-normal (often two or more) and a mega ray, whether you want them to or not, so those are two mighty useful typings
Dragon Ascent is actually Flying-Type. The cookie cutter DD/SD Mega-Rays don't run any Dragon coverage actually since it's redundant with a Flying-type move.

On the subject of SwagPlay, I wonder if Double Team could be viable over Thunder Wave because you can stack the boosts, and at +6 Evasion, a Confused opponent only has a 12.5% chance of successfully landing a hit. Also means Numel doesn't cockblock you quite as hard.

Mega Diancie is probably the second best Mega in AG (after M Ray of course). This set will ruin so many trolling opponents.

Diancie-Mega
item:Diancite
Nature: Calm
0 IV attack
252 hp, 252 sdef, 4 def
-rest
-sleep talk
-moonblast
-hidden power (fire)
Why would you run HP Fire instead of Earth Power when you only wanted to hit Keys? OK, Gengar could be a problem but HP Fire doesn't even do much to it anyway

I faced a number of BP teams and the likes of evasion moves have been making me lose. Has anyone thought of running haze in order to bypass any accuracy issues?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)