ORAS FU Metagame Discussion (old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can Wailord get a rank? I was using banded wailord and it's kinda nice XD I know kingler exists but band wailord explosion and it can't be burned.

(Did not put much thought or effort into this post)

one set ive been using to some success is a weather setting masquerain lead

Masquerain @ Heat Rock/Damp Rock
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Sunny Day/Rain Dance
- Tailwind
- Sticky Web
- U-turn

Can Wailord get a rank? I was using banded wailord and it's kinda nice XD I know kingler exists but band wailord explosion and it can't be burned.

(Did not put much thought or effort into this post)
Obviously a gimmick, just like leftovers shedinja or choice specs beedrill

Not an huge fan of banning Dynamic Punch tbh, if it breaks Machocke why not just ban the Pokemon like every other upper tier does?_? It's not like UU has banned Coil instead of Zygarde, for example.

Also Gary2346, what is the verdict on Blue Striped?

Last edited:
Reactions: EV
Surprised Gastly isn't even in the viability listing. It's got a really decent niche and the amount of ghost types in the tier means it's like the only offensive ghost in FU. It can also hold it's own with 90 base sp.atk and a decent movepool, and has great immunities with being a ghost and having levitate to go with it.
Gastly is super frail tho as even arboks gunk shot 2hkos (that 4x resisted btw) but I to think it has a minor niche in the combination of being an offensive ghost type with a handy scarf set, which beats supringly many pokemon, like Sawsbuck, Quilladin and even gogoat if SR is up

Also, it has base 100 sp.atk, not base 90

Gastly is super frail tho as even arboks gunk shot 2hkos (that 4x resisted btw) but I to think it has a minor niche in the combination of being an offensive ghost type with a handy scarf set, which beats supringly many pokemon, like Sawsbuck, Quilladin and even gogoat if SR is up

Also, it has base 100 sp.atk, not base 90
I don't see any point in running Scarf Gastly over Scarf Seviper which has Infiltrator and Flamethrower as well as actual bulk to take resisted/weak hits and the ability to outrun pretty much the same amount of stuff

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I thought Scarf Wailord with Water Spout would be a cool set to run, but I was very underwhelmed by its power. I suppose Specs with sticky web could work, but even then it's still so slow. However, it IS viable and should probably be ranked in C on the viability rankings.

one set ive been using to some success is a weather setting masquerain lead

Masquerain @ Heat Rock/Damp Rock
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Sunny Day/Rain Dance
- Tailwind
- Sticky Web
- U-turn
Do sun teams really need Sticky Web? They already outspeed everything in the tier that you could possibly want to run (I guess besides like Sunflora?). And without Sticky Web, this set it outclassed completely by Volbeat, which has Prankster.

I don't see any point in running Scarf Gastly over Scarf Seviper which has Infiltrator and Flamethrower as well as actual bulk to take resisted/weak hits and the ability to outrun pretty much the same amount of stuff
Ye its pretty niche, but with those immunities and slightly higher speed, it does have some use, probably worth D rank if anything

Errrm wow murkow actually seem viable. Its a good troller and can win due to hax near the end especially that now it gets access to prankster, sexy beast.

Lurkrow (Murkrow) @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Confuse Ray
- Taunt
- Roost
Numel uses it for setup fodder 0/10 would not use

On a serious note murkrow is much better if you run Brave bird over confuse ray, because confusing is cancer and super unreliable. Dark pulse can also be used if you hate recoil.

Srry 4 double post but im on mobile, will fix when I get home

So i just noticed how good meditite is in this tier, especially after getting baton passed into by torchic works well with band :]

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not an huge fan of banning Dynamic Punch tbh, if it breaks Machocke why not just ban the Pokemon like every other upper tier does?_? It's not like UU has banned Coil instead of Zygarde, for example.

Also Gary2346, what is the verdict on Blue Striped?
No unfortunately....They haven't gotten back to me yet on what the verdict is. Just assume it's PU for now.

Okay just a heads up the FU council and some notable users that I personally selected are doing a mini suspect voting thing at the moment where we are voting on whether or not to ban certain stuff that has been brought up. The only reason we're holding off on doing an actual suspect test is because obviously our player base is not big enough at the moment. Don't worry, I made sure my voters are of top quality. Here's the full list of what's being voted on and why. Remember, anything that was brought up to me by my council or deemed broken by many users was added to this list, so some of the suspects might seem a bit weird but that doesn't mean they're getting banned. We should be done with the voting by the end of this week, and I'll let you guys know the results.

Electabuzz: One of the council members told me they thought it was broken, so I had to put it on here. It's being suspected because it is extremely centralizing in the meta, and at times it is sometimes seen as limiting team building.

Machoke: Another very centralizing Pokemon that lacks very little switch-ins or reliable answers. It is strong, very bulky, and nearly impossible to OHKO or sometimes even 2HKO. Guts make it nearly impossible to beat defensively, as it's not crippled by burn and statusing it only makes it stronger. Dynamicpunch is an extremely gay move that can sweep teams without even trying. It's definitely one of the most requested suspects, and for good reason.

Fraxure: The best sweeper in the tier hands down. Its bulky with Eviolite, so it can set up on a lot of things, and its strong so it only really needs one boost to sweep through most teams. Taunt shutsdown defensive Pokemon and prevents them from phazing or statusing it. Its combination of bulk, power, and easy set up opportunities make it very suspect worthy.

Kingler: One of the strongest Pokemon in the tier. Its great defensive bulk lets it set up on even shit like Life Orb Rapidash, and its so strong that an unboosted Crabhmmaer can OHKO most offensive Pokemon. Agility sets sweep very easily, and the SD Sub Salac set is unwallable as well. Knock Off cripples a lot of physical walls. In general, there are very little defensive answer to Kingler, and not too many offensive ones either.

Gogoat: Very bulky and versatile, being able to run a multitude of sets and living almost any non super effective hit. It also has great coverage and reliable recovery, which makes it rather unpredictable and hard to wear down.

Sticky Web: The best move in the tier aside from Knock Off. Leavanny is an amazing web setter, as well as Kricketune so it's rather easy to set the move up, and both aren't that bad of Pokemon so they're well worth using for Sticky Web. This move lets you abuse powerhouses such as Ursaring and Rampardos that are normally slow as fuck and easy to revenge. Add to the fact that FU lacks solid hazard removers, which only makes the move that much better.

Dynamic Punch: Some would say that this is the only reason Machoke is very unmanageable. Every time this move connects, which is 100% of the time, the match comes down to a coin flip, adding a huge amount of uncompetiveness to the game each time this move is used. So this move is being suspected because it has been deemed very uncomeptitive, and it should be removed from the tier.

Murkrow: A strong revenge killer with Life Orb, as well as a bulky sweeper or defensive pivot with Eviolite. It has access to many support moves such as Thunder Wave, Taunt, and Tailwind, allowing it to abuse its Prankster ability to the fullest extent. It is being suspected because a member of the council has said it's way too easy to set up Calm Minds and sweep, on top of that fact that its priority Thunder Wave is too easy of an E-Button.

You're free to discuss this if you want but remember don't start freaking out or else I'll just ignore you post.
I honestly don't understand why you're posting this and not a council member, but I guess I should digress

The only two that I believe should get banned is possibly Gogoat and Sticky Web. The standard bulk up set for Gogoat is extremely good thanks to his great offensive movepool and awesome bulk if invested. I honestly don't think Sticky Web should be banned, but I run a sticky web team and I've had many people bitch and moan about it being overpowered, so it should be thought about

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I honestly don't understand why you're posting this and not a council member, but I guess I should digress

The only two that I believe should get banned is possibly Gogoat and Sticky Web. The standard bulk up set for Gogoat is extremely good thanks to his great offensive movepool and awesome bulk if invested. I honestly don't think Sticky Web should be banned, but I run a sticky web team and I've had many people bitch and moan about it being overpowered, so it should be thought about
But I am part of the council technically, so I don't really understand your concern lol. I'm in charge of organizing the path the council takes on whether or not we're testing something or not, so it only makes sense ?_?

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
No reason to use Wailord over Octillery lol, be it physical or special. Wailord is faster sure, but Octillery has an enormous movepool from both sides, including Flamethrower, Energy Ball, Gunk Shot, Rock Blast, Signal Beam, Seed Bomb, Acid Spray and etc. Maybe defensive whale could work with Pressure and Aqua Ring/Clear Smog, but offensive is just a worse octopus.

So I got into FU today and decided to go in with my regular playstyle; Hyper Offensive.

Has anyone else noticed the amount of KILLERS in this meta?! Arbok, Fraxure, Electabuzz and many more can be played so offensively! I tried out an Articuno set I made up and it destroys:

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Freeze-Dry

I suggest you all give this set a shot, I can imagine other items being better though (haven't really been experimenting with the item at the moment but leftovers isn't the only option). I found this set to be really useful early/mid game. However, it is quite a risky set, I noticed some teams I played against pretty much bull dozed my Articuno within seconds and others didn't really stand a chance at all. Articuno definitely isn't the safest pick in this meta based on my experience so far :P

Gary

So I got into FU today and decided to go in with my regular playstyle; Hyper Offensive.

Has anyone else noticed the amount of KILLERS in this meta?! Arbok, Fraxure, Electabuzz and many more can be played so offensively! I tried out an Articuno set I made up and it destroys:

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Freeze-Dry

I suggest you all give this set a shot, I can imagine other items being better though (haven't really been experimenting with the item at the moment but leftovers isn't the only option). I found this set to be really useful early/mid game. However, it is quite a risky set, I noticed some teams I played against pretty much bull dozed my Articuno within seconds and others didn't really stand a chance at all. Articuno definitely isn't the safest pick in this meta based on my experience so far :P
Articuno is a criminally underrated Pokemon in FU at the moment, and the only thing really holding it back is Stealth Rock and the fact that it MUST be paired with a hazard remover, most of them all being shit minus Prinplup although it does nothing for offense. It's very strong, decently fast, and insanely bulky for an offensive Pokemon, making it a great choice for hyper and bulky offense. I've had success with Scarf, Specs, Life 3 attacks, SubRoost, and Agility.

Although your set is pretty standard, one thing that you should run in my opinion is HP Ground > HP Fire. There is absolutely nothing relevant that HP Fire hits in this metagame that HP Ground doesn't hit; HP Ground has the added advantage of smacking Lairon very hard as well as Magcargo and E-Buzz. Also if you don't need to hit any of the above, then you can always opt for Ice Beam, as it hits MUCH harder than Freeze Dry and gives you a backup STAB against neutral hits such as Electabuzz, Arbok, and Urasing. Also on offensive Roost sets, there is VERY little reason not to run a Life Orb, because the extra damage output goes an incredibly long way while Lefties just kind of makes it weak.

Well i don't see a problem with any of them tbh because thay all have many counters, when a pokemon has at least one counter or none then it deserves to be banned depending who's its on and who it is but in this state of PU mainly to FU i can see more things that can maybe come into FU from PU that would help even more that wouldn't be broken in FU. But that is of course the Council's decision but this is just a suggestion to help and show you what would be banned or not depending by what i said if you even take by what i said. Its the only legit way to go by it. For example: So many flying types like articuno and emolga can kill dynamic punch machoke and for sticky web there is wartortle the best thing ever; haze,toxic,and rapid spin, great moves for mons that carry it while a good amount of defoggers. For Gogoat i'd say it can be broken a little but when you think about it, a lot of walls like gourgiest, foonguss, and even more FU,LC,PU mon walls can destroy it. Mainly a clear smog foonguss for the best example how foonguss can work around it :]. For kingler many mons with protect when it comes into entry are mainly walls that can take its hits while then easily switch out to something that can resist that certain hit the opponent goes for. Fraxure is indeed walled by a lot of physical walls that can toxic it or will-o-wisp it. There are lot of pokemon with those status moves in the tier. While i see many don't use as much because they know about that, But who is of course going to let it set up anyways if it in in the battle like with any sweeper, unless you don't have the synergized counter. Electubuzz scarfed or specs can easilly be walled by gourgeist, gogoat and by way more other walls while if evilite it most likely wont have the advantage it can get choiced or at least less then, but it can be walled by things like LC mons for example calm mind clefairy which has many counters. All my point is i hope i helped you and the councils and these are the reasons these bans would be not necessaryor well discussed to banned that is. But suggestions what to ban? I wouldnt know yet cause i'm only like around (above)top 10(and Below) many times on the FU ladder since FU was new and i have yet more to discover but if you'd want anymore help Gary2346 i can sure help! :) Whenever i actually see a broken mon, i'd surely tell you!

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if anyone else has brought this up, but Machoke can use Heavy Slam over Bullet Punch to wreck Spritzee and Clefairy who would otherwise counter it. Losing out on Bullet Punch is not really a big deal because it's shitty priority anyway that you rarely ever use. Choice Band sets with Guts might be cool too, faring worse against offensive pokemon but much better against defensive ones. If Marowak can work with 45 speed in PU, then Machoke can probably do the same here.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
GrimoireGod there is only the average sets sub-bulkup-dynamic punch-bulletpunch/knockoff or dynamicpunch-poisonjab-knockoff-bulletpunch. the ideal sets.
Sub is bad on Machoke since it has no way to refill its health. It doesn' need Bullet Punch since it's very weak and doesn't come close to deal with Fairies (
252+ Atk Machoke Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 54-64 (15 - 17.8%) -- possible 6HKO).

Also GrimoireGod I used and saw some people using Heavy Slam on choke and it can OHKO 0/0 Wigglytuff and can 2HKO Clef and Spritzee on the switch. The perfect Machoke set rn at least for me is Close Combat / Knock Off / Heavy Slam / Earthquake with Guts. It lets Machoke beat its usual checks. EQ is for Arbok, Seviper and the underrated Trubbish as well the underapreciated Swalot. Guts fucks WoW Ghosts and Koffing (galbia ) and is more honorable in general.

Pullet punch is so weak on machoke that you dont loose much by switching it for EQ (which lets you beat Metang a lot faster)

The ideal set it probably something like:

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Heavy slam
- Earthquake / Bullet punch / Bulk up

Heavy slam hits both Spritze and Clefairy twice as hard as poison jab and quilladin takes more from D-punch anyways.

Guts looks cool but I have no options on it atm

GrimoireGod there is only the average sets sub-bulkup-dynamic punch-bulletpunch/knockoff or dynamicpunch-poisonjab-knockoff-bulletpunch. the ideal sets.
are you trying to say that machoke is average? because it not, its like the second best mon in the tier.

EDIT: Don had a scarf and outspeed me

SacredGengar Average can be used in many ways and you used it so plain it sounded like both the term average as in ''OK'' or ''middlegrounded'', and like the term for ''what most people use''. Another choice of words could have prevented that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)