Little things you like about Pokémon

Probably been mentioned over and over, but here it comes - The soundtrack.

Specifically, I always love the Champion Battle, Legendary Themes (some more than other), and above all the Evil Team Boss theme. My absolute favorite one is the Archie/Maxie theme from ORAS. I just love EVERYTHING about it:

For something less 'casual', I love underleveled Pokemon. It just makes me happy to be like Lance and have Pokemon under the level where they usually evolve. Be it level 3 Electrodes traded in LGFR, level 7 Pidgeottos from HGSS' Viridian Forest, level 26 Magnetons from HGSS, level 32 Slowbros from FRLG, or anything else (come to think of it, there's a lot of these in the remakes lol)

Talking of which, while I'm not exactly a fan of the anime, I do like that in Yellow they put in minor touches to make it feel more anime-esque. Like yeah, major things like getting all three starters and fighting the rocket trio is kind of expected; but I love that they took the extra time to put Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest and not allow you to catch Weedle (even if Beedrill is the best gen 1 pokemon).
Bullshit. Caterpie is the best Gen 1 Pokemon

Last edited:
Talking of which, while I'm not exactly a fan of the anime, I do like that in Yellow they put in minor touches to make it feel more anime-esque. Like yeah, major things like getting all three starters and fighting the rocket trio is kind of expected; but I love that they took the extra time to put Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest and not allow you to catch Weedle (even if Beedrill is the best gen 1 pokemon).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
If we're going to talk about music again can I quickly say I think I found a new favorite Route music? I was for some reason looking up themes for snowy places and though to look up the music for the snowy Routes. As you expect most are calm, gentle, and even swooping themes though nothing that really has a upbeat as they're trying to be atmospheric. I then came across Gen IV's Route 216:

Now it starts off like most of themes I describe do. Calm and gentle, very somber and atmospheric... and then :43 hit.

Suddenly I went from walking through a light snowfall to a winter festival! And it stays like that throughout the rest of the song, it never goes back to the calm and gentle part. A bit odd but I like upbeat tune so much you don't really care.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Going off that, I like how they have different music for Soaring depending when you're flying during the day or at night.

For some reason this brought my thoughts to some of the great incidental music tracks in ORAS:

Heavy Rainfall/Drought Theme: Themes that just scream "doomsday is here". Now Heavy Rainfall sounds like it could be used as an actual music track for like a Aqua Base dungeon. It feels like there's an incoming doom coming and its filling everything with a sense of dread. Comparing the two original RSE versions of the music it was my favorite. However what ORAS has done with Drought makes it my favorite of the ORAS versions of the music. Where ORAS Heavy Rainfall says doom is coming, ORAS Drought says doom is HERE. It's super unsettling with all the extra sound effects and distortion going on in the background as this rather simple tune plays which has more layers added and becomes faster. It actually gives the sense its so hot that everything is drying out and melting, even the music! Heavy Rainfall also sort of needs that background noise of rain falling to give it its punch, but ORAS Drought provides all the context it needs by itself.

Rayquaza Saves The Day: I know that's not what the track is called, but that's what it is. This theme is just so anime, I love it! It's so heroic as you suddenly hop on Rayquaza's back to launch into space to cleave the meteor into pieces! I don't think there's anyway for this scene to be anymore awesome... and that's when Deoxys appears. Those chimes gives me chills every time I hear them.

I like that little Kalos Symbol that every Pokemon caught in XY has and am sad that we didn't get a Hoenn one for ORAS. Instead they just use the same Pokeball symbol that's used for all Pokemon from older gens as well.

I like that trainers in XY use Pokemon with decent movesets. Just sad that it's difficult to notice with all the options the game provides to make things easier.

I like how XY has so many places that radiate a certain amount of beauty, the routes just don't really look all the same and I really like the Reflexion Cave.

I also like that XY, while being criticized for its lack of postgame content, holds off with most Mega evolution stones until after the E4. Gives you a little bit of a reason to revisit certain places.

I like that little Kalos Symbol that every Pokemon caught in XY has and am sad that we didn't get a Hoenn one for ORAS. Instead they just use the same Pokeball symbol that's used for all Pokemon from older gens as well.

I like that trainers in XY use Pokemon with decent movesets. Just sad that it's difficult to notice with all the options the game provides to make things easier.

I like how XY has so many places that radiate a certain amount of beauty, the routes just don't really look all the same and I really like the Reflexion Cave.

I also like that XY, while being criticized for its lack of postgame content, holds off with most Mega evolution stones until after the E4. Gives you a little bit of a reason to revisit certain places.
It's also good that they held off the M-Evo stones because if you had access to 6 Megas (one for each party member) the game would be even easier than it already is

I am really liking that Nintendo has decided to do global releases now. Like, I remember the first week of XY being released and there was literally no information about any of the new pokemon on the internet. I didn't know what pokemon where good/bad and caught any of them I found. I actually had to patiently wait for a pokemon to evolve or learn a move instead of expecting a certain level. It was a really enjoyable experience and reminded me of my early days of pokemon. Good move Nintendo.

I am really liking that Nintendo has decided to do global releases now. Like, I remember the first week of XY being released and there was literally no information about any of the new pokemon on the internet. I didn't know what pokemon where good/bad and caught any of them I found. I actually had to patiently wait for a pokemon to evolve or learn a move instead of expecting a certain level. It was a really enjoyable experience and reminded me of my early days of pokemon. Good move Nintendo.
This also prevents people from thinking certain Pokemon are hacked. I remember when Platinum was released in Japan I got a Gabite through GTS that was supposedly captured in Victory Road (something which can only be done in Platinum) so I got scared and released it thinking Nintendo was going to come at me for having hacks lol

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not to mention, we don't have to refer to new Pokémon by their Japanese names for the first year within the release of a new generation...

Not to mention, we don't have to refer to new Pokémon by their Japanese names for the first year within the release of a new generation...
My original Pokemon Black team was actually named like this. My whole team of Serperior, Simipour, and Hydreigon got turned into Jaroda, Sazandora, and whatever Panpour's Japanese name was (yes, Panpour, not Simipour. Don't know why)

Last edited:

Simisage is tolerable, it just needs a haircut, but I can't stand Simisear. Simipour is okay too, but I prefer the Pans to the Simis.
That's better. Especially since poor Simisear suffers from one of the worst poses in Pokémon history.
And yes, the Pans are cuter than the Simis. I just really like Simisage and his pompadour of DOOM.

Simipour, if he had open eyes, reminds me of my friend with that haircut so he's fine in my book. And Simisage reminds me of a kickass version of Elvis.

On the other hand Simisear is eh...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'm semi-convinced that the Simi-s are suppose to be based on a subculture stereotype. The most obvious is Simisage whose tall hair is like that of a "Yanki", a Japanese delinquent youth who are most known for their tall hair (and riding motorcycles).

If we're to assume the other Simi-s are based on a subculture stereotype as well (Simisage's Japanese name, Yanakkie, is a bit of a pun as the "yan" could refer to "yanagi" (willow) or "yasai" (vegitable, the symbol for "sa" can be read as "na"), and combined with the latter part of its names sounds like "yanki"), well, Simisear's pose (and typing) could be taken as it looking like a flamboyant (also known as "flaming") homosexual.

But what about Simipour? Honestly I have no clue which is where this theory becomes shaky. Its definitely more effeminate that the other two so could possibly be a female subculture. It nor Simisear's name hints towards a subculture which puts more credence that Simisage's case is just due to its name pun, though if that was the case than Simisear's appearance along with its typing is suspicious.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I don't know how intentional this is, but it highly amuses me:
1996: Hello everyone! I'm a Snorlax. Don't mind me, just relaxin'.
1998: 'Scuse me, just stretchin'.
1999: Alright, I think it's time to get up.
2000: Just gotta wiggle back and forth to get some momentum...
2002: OOF! Well that didn't quite work.
2004: Eff it, I'm tired again. Takin' a nap.
2006: OH KAY! Take two.
2008: Take it easy.
2009: Gotta brace myself here.
2010: Here I go!
2014: Woo~ Did it! *Trainer orders him to use Rest* But I just... *sigh*

In the rare case you get an in-game mon down to 0 Friendship, some of the raters have some rather amusing observations. In fact, only Johto lacks one (edit for clarity: an amusing one. I don't find either of them funny):

RSE/ORAS, Verdanturf: "This is a little hard for me to say… Your Pokémon simply detests you. Doesn't that make you uncomfortable?"
FRLG: "…Um, it's not easy for me to say this, but… Is there some reason why your Pokémon would hate you so much?"
XD: "… This is awful. It detests you to a degree I hardly ever see. Are you sure you'll be okay?"
Platinum, Hearthome: "Oh, my… I think this one really hasn't taken too kindly to you."
BW/BW2, Icirrus: "By any chance, you… Are you a very strict person? I feel that it really doesn't like you…"
XY, Laverre: "What's this? Are you a disciplinarian? Or do you plan to use the move Frustration?"

Considering you need a lot of fainting and herbal medicine to get a mon to hate you so much, it's only fitting that the raters acknowledge your, erm, efforts in such a manner.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)