Little things you like about Pokémon

Gengar: Gengar is called the Shadow Pokemon so for its Mega Evolutions it literally becomes a shadow thus why it loses Levitate (it's now connected to the floor) and gets Shadow Tag (as a shadow it can grab and hold onto other's shadow).
Another neat thing about this is that in the XY dex, you can rotate a Pokemon round to look underneath them... you can't look underneath Mega Gengar.

In ORAS, all three starters come with a STAB move. And the rivals' starters, mercifully, are not equipped with said STAB. Or the stat-lowering move you normally get.

I've noted elsewhere how GF restricting movepools of important trainers' mons is often frustrating. In this case, it makes the battle difficult (no chance of the rival spamming Growl five times) but not too difficult (no chance of the rival Embering/Absorbing/Water Gunning their way to easy victory). Perhaps it's because it's such an early battle, but perfect balance right there.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
In ORAS, all three starters come with a STAB move. And the rivals' starters, mercifully, are not equipped with said STAB. Or the stat-lowering move you normally get.

I've noted elsewhere how GF restricting movepools of important trainers' mons is often frustrating. In this case, it makes the battle difficult (no chance of the rival spamming Growl five times) but not too difficult (no chance of the rival Embering/Absorbing/Water Gunning their way to easy victory). Perhaps it's because it's such an early battle, but perfect balance right there.
I sort of like how they did it in XY as well. In XY your first rival battle is with Shauna who has the starter weak to yours, meaning even though it has a STAB your Pokemon resists it while you can take her down easily with your STAB. It not only teaches you how to battle but also about type advantage.

I'll make a new one!

Compared to other RPGs, I like how in Pokemon it's much easier to see where you're going wrong in a battle. In many other games, you can't see things like the opponent's health or there might be just a single obscure strategy that can bring down the boss or something. With Pokemon, aside from type immunities (of which they tell you when you try to use it), there is nothing like that to make anything unnecessarily harder. Aside from stats and typing, pretty much everything that you do while fighting Pokemon A will work just as well as when fighting Pokemon B.

I was working on a new team (having two cores, one Grass/Water/Fire, the other Dragon/Steel/Fairy) and I hit a wall: I had nothing with Defog or Rapid Spin. I was considering getting rid of Scizor for Excadrill since I though getting Defog on Scizor meant using a Generation IV Scizor (i.e., no perfect IVs). Then I learned something that made me happy: Scyther has Defog as an egg move. Sure, it still relays on the old HM to get the initial parent, but that's good enough for me.

EDIT:Speaking of the Scyther, I just transferred two Defog Scyther from SoulSilver to Black 2 to Alpha Sapphire. During which, I think the guy at the Poké Transfer made several Doctor Who references:
1) "Allons-y!" - The catchphrase of the Tenth Doctor
2) "Molto bene!" - Said similarly by the Tenth Doctor in the episode "Midnight"
3) "F-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c!" The catchphrase of the Ninth Doctor
This, of course, amused me.

Last edited:
I was just messing around in the Pokedex in AS, seeing what I needed next in my quest to finish Kanto, and discovered the size version. I just love how they slowly go by a silhouette of your trainer, with the size being that the dex entry says! Of course, Nidoking is too small... but it was nice to see the sizes compared to a trainer in-game.

I was just messing around in the Pokedex in AS, seeing what I needed next in my quest to finish Kanto, and discovered the size version. I just love how they slowly go by a silhouette of your trainer, with the size being that the dex entry says! Of course, Nidoking is too small... but it was nice to see the sizes compared to a trainer in-game.
That reminds me of something in Sinnoh's Pokédex; when you're checking the weight, it actually throws the Pokémon down on a see-saw scale with your trainer at the other end. If you put down something especially heavy like say, Snorlax or Dialga; your trainer would go FLYING INTO THE ATMOSPHERE. I always found it a fun little thing as a kid.

Going back to Littleroot at the end of the adventure. I mean, all the games give off this great feel of the adventure being over and you returning home to your family, but Littleroot's music added to the entire feel giving off a bit of sadness and just making you wanna stop and just sit down for a minute.

Debatable competitive viability aside, I really like the design concept Mega Aggron seems to exude. Most of the Megas are kind of expanding or adding onto the Mon's design and Physiology: Altaria gets fluffier, Zard-X gets all those spikes and claws, Swampert bulks up, Gardevoir's "Dress" plumes out, etc.

Aggron appearance definitely changes, but it feels more like "refining", both literally and aesthetically. Its design loses most of the black, becoming pure metal across like they refined the iron in its body to pure Steel, which the type reflects by dropping the Rock typing, and the ability filter, as pure Steel is harder to score/damage than Iron tends to be.

So I recently put a Speedboost Torchic up on the GTS for a Squirtle. No biggy, it had no IVs or egg moves or anything, just something from a friend. I just needed a Squirtle to continue the Pokedex.

I got back a Rain Dish HA with four egg moves Squirtle. Immediately gave a Nice to the person who sent me that. For all the flaws in the GTS, at least some good comes from it when you unexpectedly get something amazing.

I like how quickly the current games save. We probably take it for granted, but compared especially to the infamous fourth gen games, especially Diamond and Pearl, the current games save almost instantaneously in comparison.

Except for when you accidentally save while still connected to the internet, at least on my AS. Don't do that, or you'll be stuck in "Don't turn off the power, Game Synch is in progress" mode for at least a minute!

I like how quickly the current games save. We probably take it for granted, but compared especially to the infamous fourth gen games, especially Diamond and Pearl, the current games save almost instantaneously in comparison.

Except for when you accidentally save while still connected to the internet, at least on my AS. Don't do that, or you'll be stuck in "Don't turn off the power, Game Synch is in progress" mode for at least a minute!
Which you can go into the Game Sync menu screen and disable automatic syncing when saving while connected to the internet.

I like how there is a whole game made from the anime-Pokemon Yellow. I love how Pikachu gradually comes to love you and how he follows you around. Speaking of which, pokemon gold, silver, HG and SS were really good game because they continued this.

I also love the music and atmosphere some of the games have.
I like how mega kanghaskan has the ability parental bond and how they did something with the baby.
I love the Sinnoh region games and the spear pillar and Arceus and just the whole concept
I love the character of Giovanni in the original games and in the gold and silver games-the fact it is Italian in origin makes him like an italian mafia boss and also how it is based on the word 'geo' makes him fitting for a ground gym leader

So, I just love how huge the fandom for Pokemon is. Because as a fandom, I think it's very diverse. We have the competitive players (obviously) but so many more.

The YouTubers, who are mostly competitive.
The theorists.
Song writers, which is a personal favorite of mine because we get songs like these.

The shippers, of course. I'm not a huge shipper... but I still support Brandon and May, Red and Yellow, etc. :3
Artists.
Writers.

It's just so diverse! I could go on for more. But this is what makes Pokemon shine for me, because I could search and find so many great things to do.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Don't know where else to post it. Remember a while back when we talked about the TCG card that told a story? Well I got a one card story for you, and it bring the feels. The newest TCG set, BREAKthrough has released a new Cubone card. And while we've had previous sad Cubone cards:

The newest Cubone takes the entire cake... and drops it on the floor because there's no happiness here:

Sumiyoshi Kizuki, your art is great, but seriously WTF? Why not have a Water-type walk up to it and spray water on its face for good measure.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Cubone just cannot see a happy healthy family without breaking into tears.
Gee, I wonder why. Maybe it has daddy issues...

Anyway, just so there's some substance to this post, the most hearwretching part about the card to me is that Cubone isn't just angrily/jelously looking at the mom and child, it's also hugging its bone club which you may remember is also from its mother (its her femur bone).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Remember that the Cubone myth can be read in a less heartbreaking way too. The skull helmet and bone club might be something that belonged to Cubone's mother, rather than being part of her body. A female Cubone could leave her club and helmet upon laying an egg, and then wander off to find herself a new set of armour from the skeleton of some other creature. There's no room for such a big femur bone inside the body of a Cubone or Marowak anyway, so at least the club can't possibly have come from the mother's own body.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Remember that the Cubone myth can be read in a less heartbreaking way too. The skull helmet and bone club might be something that belonged to Cubone's mother, rather than being part of her body. A female Cubone could leave her club and helmet upon laying an egg, and then wander off to find herself a new set of armour from the skeleton of some other creature. There's no room for such a big femur bone inside the body of a Cubone or Marowak anyway, so at least the club can't possibly have come from the mother's own body.
Interesting re-interpretation, but eitherway the Cubone is still left abandoned.

I just find a lot of the stuff I love about Pokemon comes from the fanbase and sideworks as much as the games themelves, so I'm really glad our fanbase isn't represented by a vocal, toxic minority as many seem to be on the internet.

Also, for depressing Cubone images, this always takes the cake for me.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I just find a lot of the stuff I love about Pokemon comes from the fanbase and sideworks as much as the games themelves, so I'm really glad our fanbase isn't represented by a vocal, toxic minority as many seem to be on the internet.

Also, for depressing Cubone images, this always takes the cake for me.
I'd say its maybe because Pokemon is an older community who had their franchise settle its place in pop culture and expanding over multiple of mediums from games, print, television, movies, TCG, plush toys, figurines, and tons and tons of other merchandise. Like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fans I feel they want MLP:FiM to get a similar recognition but I think they tried too hard to put My Little Pony in places where it didn't need to be brought up. Looking at an older franchise, the Sonic franchise is just a bit younger than the Pokemon franchise though its fans are known to be a bit caustic probably due to some mishandling that have happened with the games. I suppose another advantage that Pokemon has is that it has three companies who cooperatively own it: GameFreak, Pokemon Company, and Nintendo; each handling a different aspect of the franchise as well as checking each other's ideas and deciding what's maybe best.

Tl;dr: Pokemon is a well taken care of franchise that has lasted for years and through many mediums. Because of this fans don't feel they need to defend it or have major things to complain about.

Hmm, that comic gives me an idea for the "Mysteries and Conspiracies" thread...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
When they announced they were releasing Red & Blue on the eShop I'll admit I was a little skeptical, like I felt it was just a cash grab. Then they do this:

TTuTT

Plus they're not only coming with a serial code to get Mew for the Gen VI games but also a ticket to get Mew in these visions of Red & Blue (you'll also get a serial code if you buy it from the sShop (though doesn't mention anything about the ticket for those games so that might be a 2Ds exclusive))!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)