Middle Cup ORAS

I must say, excellent work Mazz! You show great passion and initiative. Metagame leaders take note.
Thanks for the kind words :] unfixable really helped set me up for this though, I gotta give her a fair bit of credit too. Some of the analyses and ideas are hers too.

Back to the thread though - any progress on that Hunger Metagames tournament? I figure we'll start ours next week, so I'm curious as to what kind of builds are being seen.

...I dunno and highly doubt my words before sparked things for MC to start becoming an official tier, though if it did then it's shocking.

Although I did notice when looking around a bit, MC doesn't appear to be the official term for the metagame, which if we do get a ladder on there, I suggest that be the term for this. Might be interesting to see how things will turn out.

Now I doubt they'd be considered, but a dumb thought that hit me was if the rule for only middle evolutions were to ever lift and allow LC pokemon in, I think most of the LC ubers would be able to fit in (not so much scyther though)

...Kinda wish I could nab a MC battle though. x3

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
#FreeGligar

So to not make this a shitpost, here's a set I've been using lately:

Pignite @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Superpower
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic / Protect / Head Smash

So defensive Pignite is actually a pretty cool mon, being a good check to mons like Doublade and Monferno, and probably the best Fire or Ice switchin you'll ever see (Too bad the most popular Ice-type is Piloswine). Basically, this set is used for pivoting into the things it checks, like Doublade, and spreading status with Will-O-Wisp or Toxic, and Pignite has a decent 93 Attack stat with powerful STAB moves even without Attack investment. The final slot can be used to cripple bulky water-types with Toxic, scout for lures or Choice Scarfers with Protect, or lure in Fletchinder and destroy him with Head Smash. While it isn't the best Pokemon ever, Pignite has a nice niche in it's defensive set that can fit onto a nice amount of balance teams that have trouble with mons like Doublade and want to cripple physical attackers.

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Some opinions on the new VR:

While I do not like using usage to equate viability, I still have to say I haven't seen a single Lampent in my days of playing Middle Cup and while it does seem like a plausible Monferno counter if it isn't running Rock Slide and a good Calm Mind or Trick Room sweeper, it's speed still lets it down against offensive teams if it's not running OTR, and while it's quite strong, it still struggles to get through specially defensive threats such as Porygon2 (Especially if Trace), so unless we get some evidence that Lampent can actually thrive in the meta, I'd drop it to B-High.

I have used Staravia before, and I think it isn't good enough for A-Low. It's a powerful wallbreaker with Reckless and can form an effective BirdSpam core with Fletchinder, but it struggles heavily to get through Rhydon and Steel-types (HP Water with LO only 3HKOs Donner sadly), and it gets worn down really easily and is frail as well. It's still a decent mon, but not good enough for A-Low imo.

Not totally sure if Machoke deserves B-High because of the competition it receives from Gurdurr, but No Guard Dynamic Punch and some other things like Heavy Slam might make it worthy, but I'll need to try it out though.

Drop this thing to like C-Low imo, it's literally trash, it seems to check things like Magmar from the blind eye and can also Defog, but in reality it literally can't check anything without Eviolite. It gets 2HKOed by Focus Blast from Magmar even with maximum Special Defense investment, and if you run SpD, you get trashed by Monferno, and if you run PDef, you can't check Magmar either. (Well you can't check them either way actually, which is just sad) You might also think it checks Rhydon, but when you calc, Adamant LO Stone Edge has a 80% chance to 2HKO Vibrava, and that's unboosted. Basically, this thing's poor stats really let it down, and make it on the verge of unviable imo.

Lairon should rise to C-Top. Choice Band Lairon is actually sort of disgusting in damage output, as it 2HKOs-OHKOs pretty much everything that doesn't resist it (Head Smash has a 31.3% chance to OHKO Bold Prinplup with no SR up, for example), and with Steel and Fighting or Ground coverage to deal with stuff like Rhydon, you have a really cool wallbreaker in your hands. Sadly it's really slow and it's typing is bad defensively, but thanks to having no switchins other than Marshtomp (Praise the Mudskipper) and also checking Fairies reliably, I think Lairon is good enough to rise.

Some other noms I might post about are Herdier to C-Top, Zweilous to B-Top, and maybe Dusclops to B-Low, but these are my premilinary noms for now.

I'm not entirely sure why this is ranked in B-Low. I think that Gothorita is so flexible and can fit so many archetypes. It is great on stall because it can selectively trap Pokemon and with its hellish scarf trick it can stall out weaker Pokemon with its decent bulk. On offense it can use its power with a scarf to outspeed and KO many Pokemon. This Pokemon has so much synergy with defensive Pokemon like P2 and offensive Pokemon that just want a wall or priority user gone. The severe lack of Knock Off in this tier plays to Gothorita's advantage with the only user I can think of that outspeeds being scarf Krokorok.

I just think that B-Low is underselling how effective Gothorita is at doing its job which is to trap and kill things. And while Gothorita can't easily come in on certain Pokemon the presence of Gothorita can often force your opponent into tough situations where they essentially have to choose a mon they don't mind losing. Just move this to B-High at least; however, I can see it at A-Low.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

I think that Skiploom should be moved up to C-Low. Skiploom isn't the greatest mon ever, but it has a decent niche as a supporter or Swords Dance sweeper. It has a lot of support moves like Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, and is also the only viable user of Memento in the tier as I know of, which makes it a great partner for many set-up sweepers, especially with it's access to U-Turn to pivot them. It also has a decently powerful Acrobatics to dent stuff like Sliggoo. The other set I mentioned, Swords Dance, isn't as good as the support set, but it's still an okay sweeper because +2 Acrobatics is surprisingly powerful, 2HKOing stuff like Clefairy and has a decent chance to OHKO Sliggoo at +2 as well. Seed Bomb helps Skiploom get past Rock and Ground types like Rhydon and Krokorok as well, and it has a decent but not great 80 Speed as well and thanks to Sleep Powder can find many set-up opportunities and can still support it's team by putting something to sleep. Sadly Skiploom still has a lot of problems such as it's mediocre power, competition from other sweepers and supporters, but it's unique niche as either a great supporter for sweepers or as a niche sweeper of it's own make it a bit better than the rest of it's D rank bretheren, and thus Skiploom should be brought up to C-Low in my opinion.

Threw

cohiba
I'm not entirely sure why this is ranked in B-Low. I think that Gothorita is so flexible and can fit so many archetypes. It is great on stall because it can selectively trap Pokemon and with its hellish scarf trick it can stall out weaker Pokemon with its decent bulk. On offense it can use its power with a scarf to outspeed and KO many Pokemon. This Pokemon has so much synergy with defensive Pokemon like P2 and offensive Pokemon that just want a wall or priority user gone. The severe lack of Knock Off in this tier plays to Gothorita's advantage with the only user I can think of that outspeeds being scarf Krokorok.

I just think that B-Low is underselling how effective Gothorita is at doing its job which is to trap and kill things. And while Gothorita can't easily come in on certain Pokemon the presence of Gothorita can often force your opponent into tough situations where they essentially have to choose a mon they don't mind losing. Just move this to B-High at least; however, I can see it at A-Low.
First off, I don't know how you built a stall team in MC that's even half decent. I'd legitimately love to see any replays of that if you have them or play the team myself.

But onto the argument: Gothorita's bulk is actually nothing special at all, and because this is such an overwhelmingly offensive metagame, you'll mostly be coming on in something and sacking Goth just to trick the opposing mon a Scarf, which a ton of the time won't even be that big a bother. The only time it would be super annoying is if you Tricked it onto Togetic or something, but that's an incredibly small niche for something that is otherwise just really bad (75 SpA?? 55 Spe??). A majority of the time, it's honestly a waste of a slot, and once it does its job, it's pretty much useless and extremely far from a guaranteed KO anyway. There are a million better Scarf users. Honestly, idk if it should even be as high as it is but w/e.

I think that Skiploom should be moved up to C-Low. Skiploom isn't the greatest mon ever, but it has a decent niche as a supporter or Swords Dance sweeper. It has a lot of support moves like Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, and is also the only viable user of Memento in the tier as I know of, which makes it a great partner for many set-up sweepers, especially with it's access to U-Turn to pivot them. It also has a decently powerful Acrobatics to dent stuff like Sliggoo. The other set I mentioned, Swords Dance, isn't as good as the support set, but it's still an okay sweeper because +2 Acrobatics is surprisingly powerful, 2HKOing stuff like Clefairy and has a decent chance to OHKO Sliggoo at +2 as well. Seed Bomb helps Skiploom get past Rock and Ground types like Rhydon and Krokorok as well, and it has a decent but not great 80 Speed as well and thanks to Sleep Powder can find many set-up opportunities and can still support it's team by putting something to sleep. Sadly Skiploom still has a lot of problems such as it's mediocre power, competition from other sweepers and supporters, but it's unique niche as either a great supporter for sweepers or as a niche sweeper of it's own make it a bit better than the rest of it's D rank bretheren, and thus Skiploom should be brought up to C-Low in my opinion.
I'm not even going to address the SD set considering this is not only a mon that has no bulk whatsoever and thus sets up on nothing but also has base 45 Atk and therefore forces absolutely nothing out (doesn't even OHKO max HP Rose!!). lol I guess I just addressed it :p

For the support set, we already have a much better Pokemon with Sleep Powder and Stun Spore (the aforementioned Rose), and Dusclops has Memento if you're in need of that. And again, normally a support mon has at least some bulk, but this doesn't, so...yeah. I think D rank is perfectly fine.

First off, I don't know how you built a stall team in MC that's even half decent. I'd legitimately love to see any replays of that if you have them or play the team myself.

But onto the argument: Gothorita's bulk is actually nothing special at all, and because this is such an overwhelmingly offensive metagame, you'll mostly be coming on in something and sacking Goth just to trick the opposing mon a Scarf, which a ton of the time won't even be that big a bother. The only time it would be super annoying is if you Tricked it onto Togetic or something, but that's an incredibly small niche for something that is otherwise just really bad (75 SpA?? 55 Spe??). A majority of the time, it's honestly a waste of a slot, and once it does its job, it's pretty much useless and extremely far from a guaranteed KO anyway. There are a million better Scarf users. Honestly, idk if it should even be as high as it is but w/e.
When I referenced stall I was making the notion, but yes, stall is extremely difficult to pull off. I guess what I should have said was bulky offense. And goth shouldn't be switching in unless it is guaranteed, like you know without a doubt the opponent is going to SR. I said goth's bulk was decent. It can take a hit or two, but not much else. And to be fair, 60/70/85 bulk isn't something to scoff at. Sure it isn't the best bulk, not even on an offensive Pokemon but it can do what it needs to. I view it similar to Diglett in LC. It can't switch in (unlike Diglett goth can switch in on some attacks) and sometimes it is a waste of a slot. But this doesn't stop it from effectively trapping certain Pokemon and taking advantage of teams that have said Pokemon. When teams bring goth they bring goth knowing that if their opponent doesn't bring what it is supposed to check it can very well be dead weight; however, generally the teams bring goth because the other 5 members only need goth to check certain threats that the 5 can't collectively deal with. The ability for a Pokemon to make bringing something like Gurdurr (or pretty much any Fighting-type for that matter) as well as bringing Poison-types a liability is huge. Not to mention goth gets plenty of coverage to hit other mons like Tbolt/Energy Ball/Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball. And finally, it isn't a minor annoyance if goth tricks a scarf onto your defensive Pokemon. It can cost you the game, especially when you need that mon for specific threats. You mention how offensive the meta is (which it is) but you fail to realize that goth can potentially open the door for offensive Pokemon once goth gets rid of whatever walls it or what not.

Threw

cohiba
sometimes it is a waste of a slot.
it can very well be dead weight
Doesn't anything that fulfills this description at any time just scream B-Low to you? The Diglett comparison is simply a poor one, because the thing has (if I'm not mistaken) the best Speed tier in LC, which basically makes it a guaranteed revenge kill with Arena Trap against anything weakened (this is speculation, I honestly don't play the tier at all, but I have a feeling I'm near the mark). A Pokemon such as Gothorita whose usefulness is so entirely match-up based (i.e., it's only useful if you're facing balance, not only because offense is typically fine with sacking something but also because Goth is hilariously weak, so it can't even revenge kill properly - max SpA Psychic isn't even guaranteed to OHKO Gurdurr, for example) has no place moving up.

And finally, it isn't a minor annoyance if goth tricks a scarf onto your defensive Pokemon.
I never said anything of the sort. In fact, you'll note I said the exact opposite. However, again, this is entirely too match-up-based a niche.

Zweilous @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Head Smash

Zweilous has niche in its unique typing, which allows gives it an immunity to Psychic type moves and six resistances, and its ability Hustle, which boosts its attack. With its already high attack coupled with Hustle and Choice Band, Zweilous becomes a fearsome wallbreaker in the metagame, being able to at least 2HKO most of the tier. However, Zweilous has many drawbacks. It has a 4x weakness to Fairy type moves, making Clefairy and Togetic threats, although they can be KOed by Head Smash. Weaknesses to Fighting and Ice types allow Monferno, Gurdurr, and Piloswine to pick off Zweilous with their respective priority moves. Hustle also acts as a double-edged sword, reducing the accuracy of its attacks. Finally, its base 58 speed is rather slow in the metagame, which allows faster mons to wear down Zweilous. Overall, Zweilous has potential to become one of the best wallbreakers in the metagame although it has some flaws.

Monferno @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave / Hidden Power Ice

Monferno @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch / Rock Slide
- U-turn

Due to experience in PU, where Monferno is known to be one of the best wallbreakers in the tier, I've found that Nasty Plot and Choice Scarf Monferno works quite well.
Nasty Plot boosts Monferno's special attack to high levels and works better against physically defensive mons, such as Rhydon and Doublade. It also doesn't have to deal with Flare Blitz recoil or drops from Close Combat and still deals a lot of damage despite its decent special attack. Choice Scarf allows Monferno to act as a revenge killer or cleaner and is able to outspeed and KO mons. However, Fletchinder is a huge threat to Monferno as it can OHKO it with Acrobatics, but it cannot switch into Monferno's Rock Slide and Stealth Rock halves its health. Physical variants also get worn down by Flare Blitz and/or Life Orb recoil and can get KOed due to Close Combat drops.

Dusclops @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Ice Beam / Shadow Ball

Dusclops has niche in its amazing bulk, but has very little offensive presence. Offensive sets don't seem to be as effective on Dusclops due to its low offensive stats and lack of a strong physical STAB move. As a result, Dusclops has fallen from the top of the tier and is now basically setup fodder due to being passive. However, Dusclops can take advantage of its high bulk and can become a bulky calm mind sweeper. Most of the unboosted tier fails to 2HKO it and Dusclops can take advantage of this to set up. Dusclops has weaknesses to both Knock Off and Taunt and lacks a reliable recovery.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
I've actually been trying out Dusclops recently, here's the set I've been using:

Dusclops @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Night Shade / Seismic Toss
- Pain Split
- Toxic / Ice Beam / Taunt

Basically this set functions as a really bulky tank and status spreader, while also being able to heal up via Pain Split (Unreliable though!) Basically Dusclops can switch into the majority of physical attackers in the meta and proceed to burn them, Toxic them, or wear them down via Night Shade or Seismic Toss. Ice Beam can also be used to 2HKO Krokorok, although it's a bit outclassed by Will-O-Wisp if you're running Colbur Berry since you live Knock Off and can cripple Krokorok. Sadly Dusclops suffers from it's main playstyle, stall, not being viable in the meta, and since it's a huge momentum suck, it won't find itself on many teams, if at all. But Dusclops can still be effective in the right situations, and the Calm Mind set mentioned in the above post is also decent as a bulky sweeper. Overall, Dusclops has some big flaws, but it has some positives that make it worth using at times.

Adding my contribution to what will soon go on the pages... at least I think.
Tell me what you guys think. Also, I may add more to this over time while A and B rank analyses are still going on.

I haven't done any MC battles yet, so I can't conclude on checks and counters; teambuilding options are a WIP currently, so check back later.
Anyways, here's my contribution:
Gothorita
While Gothorita faces massive competition by other special attackers in the tier such as Haunter and Lampent and other walls such as Porygon2, there's one thing that sets Gothorita apart, as she is the only user in Middle Cup with the ability Shadow Tag. With Shadow Tag and a somewhat diverse movepool, Gothorita is able to perform the role of a trapper, which when combined with a Choice Scarf, allows her to trap and remove threats that others on her team would have trouble handling. However, due to Gothorita's poor speed, she has to rely on said Choice Scarf for many pokemon, else it is likely she will be outsped by other threats in the tier. Her average physical bulk also means she will have trouble taking attacks from physical attackers if not fully invested.

The Gothic Trapper
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 Special Attack/4 Special Defense/252 Speed
Item: Choice Scarf
Moveset:
Thunderbolt/Energy Ball
Psyshock/Psychic
Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball
Trick

Thunderbolt can be used to hit water types as well as flying types within the tier, but it will be unable to hit ground types. Energy ball can be used to deal with trapped Water, Rock, and Ground types, but Gothorita will have less coverage against flying types if it is taken over Thunderbolt. The difference against Psychic and Psyshock all depends if you want to target special walls or not. Shadow Ball can hit Psychic and Ghost types for super effective damage as well. Trick can be used if you want to lock the opposing pokemon into a status move, but it will mean Gothorita loses her Choice Scarf, meaning she will likely have issues against the next pokemon against her.

Team Options: Since Gothorita's role is to clear the way for the rest of the team to cause havoc for the opposing team, swapping Gothorita into opponents using a boosting or setting move will give Gothorita the perfect time to strike, as it will be able to TrickTrap them and KO them. Once the opponent switches to something that threatens to KO Gothorita, swapping into something like Dusclops or Magmar will give them a rough time. Monferno can also be a good option to take advantage of this, as it's great stats and movepool will deal with opponents that threaten Gothorita so she can still be of great use.

Specially Defensive
Calm Nature
EVs: 4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Special Defense
Item: Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
Moves:
Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt/Energy Ball
Psyshock/Psychic
Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt

This set makes use of Gothorita's Special Defense stat. While normally better an offensive trapper, Gothorita can take a special hit if need be while dealing with current threats as well. Psyshock and Psychic depend on if special walls are the concern or not. Thunderbolt can be used to hit Flying types and Water Types. Shadow Ball is used to deal with Psychic and Ghost types as well. Energy Ball can be used to deal with Water, Rock, and Ground types. Thunder Wave can be used for coverage against faster pokemon by cutting off their speed if they aren't Electric or Ground types, giving Gothorita a slight advantage if lady luck is on her side.

Team Options: A physically invested Clefairy can work very well with a specially defensive Gothorita, able to switch on physical attacks to tank them in her place, even if the lack of Shadow Tag on Clefairy can be an issue. Dusclops and Haunter also can be good options, as they can use Wil-O-Wisp to shut down physical attackers that threaten Gothorita.

Physically Defensive
Bold Nature
EVs: 4 HP/252 Defense/252 Special Attack
Item: Leftovers/Sitrus Berry/Choice Scarf
Moves:
Thunder Wave/Trick
Thunderbolt/Energy Ball
Psyshock/Psychic
Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Calm Mind

When fully invested, Gothorita's Defensiveness can be used to her advantage. Being able to utilize a better defensive bulk, Gothorita can make use of a Calm Mind Set as well as a simple TrickTrap set. While the opponent is trapped into a status move, Gothorita can get off a few Calm Minds and then OHKO most opposing pokemon while having increased special bulk. However, this requires much prediction and/or support to pull off, usually with another pokemon utilizing encore. Thunder Wave along with Leftovers or Sitrus Berry can be used over Choice Scarf with Trick as well.

Team Options: After Gothorita has dealt with the big threats and taken some hits, hard hitters like Magmar, Electabuzz, and Haunter are free to sweep the opponent. With the lack of reliable recovery aside from items, Clefairy is a great choice to have, passing wishes to give Gothorita more HP.

Other Options:
A Focus Sash over Choice Scarf could be used so moves wouldn't be locked and Gothorita can take a hit that would normally OHKO it, but this usually means Gothorita must OHKO the opposing pokemon before she gets KO'd herself. An Assault Vest can be used with an all-out attacking set to make Gothorita a very specially bulky trapper, though she will lack what little recovery she can use, meaning such use is limited. Dark Pulse can be used in place of Shadow Ball for a chance to flinch the opponent, but Fighting and Fairy Types will resist it. Hidden Power Fighting can be used to deal with the Dark Types that can threaten Gothorita as well, but it's low base power means it really only works as extra coverage.

Grovyle
Grovyle has a respectable niche in Unburden, which when activated, is able to outspeed nearly the entire unboosted Metagame. While reliant on it, Grovyle can make a very decent physical attacker with it's respectable physical attack status and access to Swords Dance, which when combined with a Sitrus Berry, means Grovyle will be dealing massive damage to teams and acting as a decent physical wallbreaker as well. However, this leaves Grovyle's item choices limited, as it is still vulnerable to priority, and burns caused by fire attacks will spell it's end. Nonetheless, Grovyle is an excellent grass type to use.

Wallbreaker
Adamant/Jolly Nature
EV's 252 Attack/188 Defense/72 Speed
Item: Sitrus Berry
Moves:
Acrobatics
Swords Dance
Crunch/Drain Punch/Substitute
Leaf Blade

Using a Swords Dance on the turn the Focus Sash is consumed means Grovyle will have a +2 on Attack and Speed, which means next turn will allow it to hit hard afterwards. Acrobatics will double in power with the Sitrus Berry consumed, and with it, which will hurt even more after a Swords Dance boost. Leaf Blade hits for a STAB Grass move with a high critical hit ratio. Pursuit can trap Psychic and Ghost types and deal a massive number on them. Drain Punch will allow Grovyle to recover some health and hit Porygon2 for super-effective damage. Substitute can be used to try and force Grovyle down into consuming it's Sitrus Berry, but it can be difficult to pull off a swords dance if not done beforehand.

Other Options:
X-Scissor can be used to hit Dark and Grass types similar to how Leaf Blade works. Focus Sash can be used over Sitrus Berry, but is unreliable due to requiring a risk of a OHKO. Thunder Punch can be a good idea to hit Flying Types after an Unburden boost. Brick Break can also be utilized against Dual Screens users, though it is unreliable over other coverage moves otherwise.

Haunter
Haunter is one of the scariest special attackers in the tier, having an astronomical base 115 special attack and a base 95 speed along with immunities to Normal, Ground, and Fighting type attacks, meaning Haunter can be extremely useful. However, while Haunter may be very good in attacking, it's low HP and defensive stats mean that it won't be able to take many hits, and is likely to be OHKO'd by Super Effective attacks. However, even with such a crippling flaw, Haunter remains one of the best offensive threats in Middle Cup.

All-Out attacker.
Modest/Timid Nature
EV's: 4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Speed
Item: Life Orb
Moves:
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Giga Drain
Dazzling Gleam/Thunderbolt

Life Orb makes Haunter a large threat by adding more power to an already colossal special attack status. Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb hit for a very powerful STAB while Giga Drain can heal back any HP lost by Life Orb recoil. Dazzling Gleam can be used to hit Dark Types as well as Dragon Types very hard while Thunderbolt can hit Flying types hard while also possibly causing paralysis.

Team Options: Despite such an amazing Special Attack stat, Special walls like Sliggoo will still be an issue. Having physical attackers such as Magmar and Gabite on the same team can deal with them. Whirlipede can get some spikes off and then Haunter can come in on a Rapid Spin and take advantage of the Spikes that are set, allowing Haunter to get off some massive damage. Prinplup and Lairon with Steath Rock can also work in a similar way.

Hex
Timid Nature
EV's 4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Speed
Item: Black Sludge
Moves:
Hex
Will-O-Wisp/Toxic
Sludge Bomb
Disable/Substitute

Hex is a bit gimmicky, but can still be very useful. Hex doubles in base power when the opponent has a status move, which can do a massive number on the opponent with a STAB combination. Disable can be used to stop moves that could be troublesome to Haunter while Substitute can be used after a switch in to ensure longevity and a safe status toss. Sludge Bomb has a 30% chance to poison along with STAB Poison damage, which if it does poison, means Haunter can use Hex to finish the opponent.

Team options: Other pokemon that afflict status moves work extremely well with this Haunter Set, as any status effect activates Hex. Whirlipede works very well with Haunter in this set as Haunter can activate Hex after Toxic Spikes poisons the target and Haunter can block Rapid Spin. Paralysis and Sleep moves from other pokemon such as Weepinbell will also allow Haunter to gain an edge and blast the opposing pokemon with Hex.

Other Options: Psychic can be a good option to deal with Poison types and opposing Haunter. Clear Smog can handle setup sweepers by resetting their boosts back to normal. Curse can be useful with the right support, but the drop in HP is easy to take advantage of. Dark Pulse can be used to cause flinching, but it will be resisted by Fighting and Fairy types.

Whirlipede
Whirlipede is one of the bulkiest Spikers in the tier and acts as a good lead for hazard stack teams while being able to take a hit with it's decent defensive base stats, which is sadly offset by it's low HP. Speed Boost can also allow Whirlipede to become a bulky sweeper or set up faster. However, Whirlipede's low HP means many super effective moves will still do a 2HKO on it if not possibly an OHKO. Nevertheless, Whirlipede is great for a support pokemon.

Lead Spiker
Jolly Nature
Ability: Speed Boost
EV's: 252 HP/4 Special Defense/252 Speed
Item: Focus Sash/Black Sludge
Moves:
Spikes
Toxic Spikes
Poison Jab/Bug Bite
Protect/Substitute

Being the one on the front lines, Whirlipede should focus on setting up Spikes and Toxic Spikes whenever possible. Poison Jab and Bug Bite both offer STAB coverage, but are situational as one does more damage and the other can steal Sitrus Berries for extra recovery if able. Protect can ensure a Speed Boost will happen while Substitute can be used to have extra longevity if Whirlipede is running a Black Sludge over Focus Sash, one giving recovery while the other ensures Whirlipede won't be OHKO'd on the first turn by any special attackers.

Teambuilding Options: While Whirlipede works as a spiking lead, it works well with Prinplup if it's running Defiant over Torrent, deterring Defog users, as well as Ghost types for spinblocking to keep the entry hazards in. Other hard hitters like Electabuzz and Magmar can take advantage of the spikes setting to get by any Focus Sashes and land some OHKO's

Other Options:
Whirlipede can run a more offensive set, but it's lower attack stats suggest otherwise, and there aren't many better spikers out there either. Running a specially defensive set seems okay in order to try and survive the special attacks that normally threaten it, but it's typing leaves it weak to many common special attackers.

Sliggoo
Sliggoo may be slow, but in terms of Special Bulk, it has an amazing 113 special defense base stat and a moderate 68 HP base stat, meaning that Sliggoo can tank special attacks very well. Sliggoo also has access to very useful abilities in the form of Sap Sipper, which can allow Sliggoo to switch into a Grass type Attack, and Gooey, which can cause havoc on fast physical pokemon by lowering their speed, both which can be very useful. While Sliggoo may fear physical attacks that don't make contact such as Rock Slide, it has plenty of utility to make itself very helpful on it's team.

Physically Defensive
Bold Nature
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 HP/252 Defense/4 Special Attack
Item: Leftovers
Moves:
Draco Meteor
Substitute
Ice Beam/Sludge Bomb
Hidden Power Fighting

While an odd choice given Sliggoo's poor physical bulk, this essentially let's it take a step against what should threaten it. Draco Meteor can be used for STAB damage against opposing pokemon. Ice Beam can be used to hit Flying and Ground types hard while Sludge Bomb can give Fairy types something to worry about. Substitute works well in prolonging Sliggoo's longevity. Hidden Power Fighting can be used for coverage against steel types as well.

Team Options: This set works decently on Stall teams when combined with Dusclops and Porygon2, able to sponge damage and deal some back after Dual Screens and/or status spreading. Getting rid of threats using Gothorita would be a nice touch to deal with some of the Dragon types such as Gabite that threaten Sliggoo, and clear the way for it. Being able to regain HP with the aid of wishpassers such as clefairy would be a nice touch too.

Assault Vest
Bold/Modest Nature
Ability: Gooey/Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP/188 Defense/72 Special Attack
Item: Assault Vest
Moves:
Draco Meteor
Ice Beam/Muddy Water
Sludge Bomb
Thunderbolt

Adding a massive boost to it's already massive Special Defense stat, this set allows Sliggoo to act as an offensive mixed wall. Draco Meteor is still Sliggoo's best STAB move, while Sludge Bomb deters fairy types that would threaten Sliggoo. Thunderbolt can be used to hit water types and can cause paralysis, meaning Sliggoo will be faster than the opponent if it paralyzes. Ice Beam can hit Grass and Ground types hard while Muddy Water can deal a number against Rock, Ground, and Fire types.

Team Options: With a lack of reliable recovery, Clefairy and Wish might be a good idea. A Trick Room setter like Duosion can give this set a valuable edge by allowing Sliggoo to take advantage of it's low Speed. Removing entry hazards with Prinplup or Golbat using Defog will help Assault Vest Sliggoo a lot by making sure it doesn't have anything to worry about.

Other Options:
Hidden Power Ground can be used over Fighting to ensure most Ghost types don't end up immune to it. A specially defensive set can be used to handle the amount there are in the tier, but this will leave Sliggoo open to physical attackers. Dragon Pulse can be used over Draco Meteor if the attack drop is a concern, but usually Draco Meteor is needed for offensive pressure.

Staravia
Staravia is an excellent physical threat in the Middle Cup metagame, with access to Double-Edge and Brave Bird when combined with Reckless. Staravia when combined with a boosting item can wreak havoc on teams that lack physically defensive support. However, despite great power and great speed, Staravia lacks the blessing it's evolution got, as it does not have Close Combat, meaning unless one relies on the very risky and unviable Revenge, Staravia will be walled by Rock and Steel Types in the tier, not to mention a weakness to Stealth Rock and Poor defensive stats.

Angry Bird
Adamant/Jolly Nature
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed
Moves:
Double-Edge
Brave Bird
U-turn
Roost

Staravia's good attack stat is boosted by Life Orb, and with Reckless and two STAB moves boosted by it, it's gonna deal a LOT of damage. Roost can be used to heal from the massive recoil that also comes with it. U-turn can be used to pivot out of bad situations and hit Psychic types very hard in the process.

Team Options: Since Staravia lacks Close Combat like it's older brother Staraptor in OU, Staravia is best paired with types that can handle those that it's weak too. Using a Grass and/or Gound type with Staravia will ensure that the biggest issues will be dealt with by them first.

Revenge Killer
Adamant/Jolly Nature
Ability: Reckless
EV's 4 HP/252 Attack
Item: Choice Band/Life Orb
Moves:
Retaliate/Double Edge
Brave Bird
U-turn
Steel Wing/Roost

Staravia is effective as a revenge killer, coming out as soon as an ally has fainted, showing the opponent why you don't mess with this birdie's buddies. Retaliate when boosted by Choice Band or Life Orb will do a ludicrous amount of damage the turn it comes out if it was brought in by a teammate falling. Brave Bird and Double-Edge are both very powerful STAB moves that will do numbers with Reckless and either item. U-turn can be used to pivot out as well as do a number on Psychic and Dark types. Roost should only be taken with a Life Orb, while if using a Choice Band, use Steel Wing to get by the Rock Types that would otherwise wall Staravia's moves.

Team Options: Pokemon that can deal plenty of damage before biting the dust are crucial for this set, as there are several pokemon that Staravia cannot OHKO by revenge killing, most notably Rock and Steel types. Using U-turn into a bulky pokemon such as Sliggoo or Porygon2 works as a great combination for Staravia to retreat and prepare for another Retaliate.

Other Options: Pursuit can work well for trapping Psychic and Ghost types. Revenge is a very risky move, but can work wonders against Rock and Steel types if prediction and luck are on Staravia's side. A little Special Attack investment along with Heat Wave can catch Steel types off guard, but Staravia's low base Special Attack means this will not even 2HKO without a crit.

Golbat
Golbat is one of the most useful utility pokemon in Middle Cup, as it has Access to Infiltrator and Defog, meaning Substitutes won't keep entry hazards in. Combined with an immunity to spikes, this means Golbat only has to worry about it's Stealth Rock weakness when switching in, and decent attacking stats mean that it can make use at breaking stall within the tier as well. However, Golbat does need to worry about Electric and Psychic types, who can 2HKO Golbat if not careful.

Utility
Jolly Nature
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP/188 Defense/72 Speed
Item: Black Sludge
Moves:
Defog
Brave Bird
Roost
Toxic/Taunt/Poison Fang

Defog is Golbat's main utility move, as it will bypass Substitute and remove entry hazards that are set up. Brave Bird allows for a powerful STAB that will break substitutes thanks to Infiltrator, While Poison Fang isn't as powerful but has a 50% chance of badly poisoning the opposing pokemon. Taunt can be used to shut down attempts to set up while Toxic is a more likely way to badly poison the opponent despite no initial damage. Roost can be used to recover large amounts of HP.

Team Options: An Electric type to deal with Defiant Prinplup may not be a bad idea with this set. Haunter and Gothorita are great options to deal with those that can take advantage of Defog. A bulky wall such as Sliggoo or Porygon2 can work very well with this set after Golbat has gotten off a taunt.

Nasty Plot
Modest Nature
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Special Attack/4 Special Defense/252 Speed
Moves:
Nasty Plot
Sludge Bomb
Air Slash
Giga Drain/Roost

While Golbat's special attack may be below average, it's access to Nasty Plot can come in handy very well. After a boost, Golbat can become rather threatening, with STAB Sludge Bomb and Air Slash both. Giga Drain can be used for recovering HP lost with Life Orb, though Roost can be used to recover a guaranteed amount as well.

Team Options: Combined with a pokemon that uses Thunderwave, Encore, can pass a Substitute, this set can work pretty well. Entry Hazard Removal by other pokemon such as Prinplup work well as Stealth Rock is still a concern for this set. Swadloon setting Sticky Web can work okay to lower the opponents Speed when switching, allowing Golbat to get a Nasty Plot and an Attack off first almost guaranteed with one Speed drop.

Other Options:
Pursuit can be used to do damage to hazard setters when they try to switch out. Shadow Ball can be used to hit Psychic and Ghost types on the Nasty Plot set. Hidden Power Fighting or Hidden Power Ground can be used to deal with Rock and Steel types which would otherwise wall the Nasty Plot set. A Nasty Plot set with Toxic and Venoshock could work with the right support, but it's very gimmicky and can't work on Poison and Steel types.

Lombre
Lombre may not be the dancing pineapple that everybody loves, but it can be just as effective as his NU older brother, though in Middle Cup instead. With Swift Swim, Lombre's low base 50 Speed doubles, making Lombre a very fast special attacker that outspeeds most of the metagame during the downpour. it's unique typing is good for offense as well, adding STAB Grass and Water type moves, the latter gaining a boost from Rain. However, while Lombre is a total beast in the rain, it loses much power when the Rain is done, so Rain Dance is crucial, weather Lombre is sacrificing a move slot for it or not.

Rainy Offensive
Modest/Timid Nature
Ability: Swift Swim
EV's 4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Speed
Item: Life Orb/Damp Rock
Moves:
Leech Seed/Rain Dance
Scald
Giga Drain/Energy Ball
Ice Beam/Hidden Power Fighting

When the Rain Dance is up, Lombre outspeeds much of the metagame. Scald being as useful as it is gets even better under the rain with a boost from Rain and STAB along with it's chance to burn. Giga Drain can allow for STAB recovery while Energy Ball does more damage. Ice Beam can hit Flying types for super effective damage while Hidden Power Fighting works for coverage against some Steel, Dark, and Normal types. Leech Seed can be used in place of Rain Dance to discourage lack of switching and gain some recovery in the process.

Team Options: A moveslot can be opened up if having another teammate such as Palpitoad or Pikachu handle setting up Rain Dance, allowing the latter to Volt Switch into Lombre soon after, who can start sweeping while the Rain is up. A combination with other Rain Sweepers such as Seadra can make for a devastating team. However, it should be fairly obvious that Rain Dance on at least one or two of Lombre's teammates, even if it's itself. Hyper Voice can be an okay filler move with it's high base power.

Other Options: Hidden Power Bug can be an option to hit some Grass and Psychic types while Electric can be taken to deal with Flying types, but Ice Beam usually does the job better. Fake Out can be used to break Focus Sashes, but there's not much of a point in that and it requires prediction and timing since it only works on the first turn.

Clefairy
The pokemon that the famous Pokemaniac Bill turned himself into in the generation 1 games, Clefairy is a very decent wishpasser and great counter to Dragon and Dark Types within the Tier, having very decent special stats, and a good HP stat that can allow it to run Wish along with Heal Bell or Aromatherapy, allowing it to serve the function of a cleric. While as a specially defensive wall it faces competition from Porygon2, an immunity to Dragon type attacks and resistances to some common attacking types as well as the fantastic Magic Guard ability allow Clefairy to hold it's place in the Middle Cup metagame. However, Clefairy has poor physical defense stat, and it's weakness to Steel Types really puts some pressure in it's role. Also, Clefairy's 35 base speed means much of the metagame will outspeed it, meaning it will require Support and great prediction to succeed. Nonetheless, Clefairy is great as a Support Pokemon, and is great for balance teams.

Cleric
Bold Nature
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP/252 Defense/4 Special Defense
Moves:
Wish
Toxic
Aromatherapy/Heal Bell
Protect

Taking the role in Middle Cup similar to Chansey and Blissey in their respective tiers, Clefairy does well in their roles, passing Wishes over to teammates and curing them of status with Heal Bell or Aromatherapy while Clefairy isn't bothered by Burn and Poison, so it can come in on a Toxic or Will-O-Wisp freely, as well as a Dragon-Type attack or an opponent locked into Outrage such as Gabite or Fraxure. Toxic can be used as extra coverage that can be used to stall out opponents that aren't Poison or Steel type and stall them out while the bad poisoning slowly drains their HP or take advantage of the forced switch.

Team Options: Given Clefairy is vulnerable to Poison and Steel Types, other pokemon that can resist both of these will be necessary. Doublade and Klang are excellent chocies, as they are immune to Poison type attacks and resist Steel type attacks. Offensive pokemon such as Monferno are also excellent to pair with Clefairy as the Wish Support will help with their longevity should they lack recovery themselves or have suffered much Life Orb Recoil as well.

Calm Mind + 3 Attacks
Modest Nature
Ability: Magic Guard
EV's: 244 HP/12 Defense/252 Special Attack
Moves:
Calm Mind
Moonblast
Psychic/Thunderbolt/Psyshock
Fire Blast/Ice Beam

With Magic Guard and a fairly decent 60 Special Attack stat, Clefairy can make a decent Calm Mind sweeper that doesn't have to worry about Life Orb recoil. Moonblast is Clefairy's best STAB move, which can do a lot after a Calm Mind or two. Psychic and Fire Blast can provide good coverage against the types Clefairy is weak to, while Thunderbolt and Ice Beam can hit Prinplup and Sliggoo for a decent amount of damage. Psyshock ensures that Special Walls will have another thing coming for them if they try to wall Clefairy after a Calm Mind.

Team Options: Clefairy needs to get in a good chance to get a Calm Mind up, else it won't do as much damage as it needs. Toxic Spikes from Whirlipede can discourage staying in, which is a decent option. Togetic passing off a Substitute can give Clefairy some time, but Golbat and Lampent still threaten it. Swadloon setting a Sticky Web may not help too much, but can work well possibly when the opponent switches into something slow such as Sliggoo.

Other Options: A Physically Defensive set with Assault Vest is a bit gimmicky, but can work well if given some support options and Clefairy has Moonblast. Thunder Wave can be used over Toxic to give allies an advantage, but the lack of damage means Clefairy has to have someone else alive on the team to win.

Marshtomp
With 70 base Defense and Special Defense, Marshtomp can act as a Mixed Wall or a Bulky Offensive Pokemon. It's typing also only leaves it with only one 4x weakness to Grass, but also resistances to common attacking types, resistance to Stealth Rock, and an immunity to Electric Types, allowing it to switch into Thunderbolt and Volt Switch.

Marshtomp, however, is not without it's flaws, most notably being a lack of Recovery outside of Leftovers as well as a low Speed stat as well as lack of Priority, meaning Marshtomp will be outsped by much of the Metagame. Also, Marshtomp's best boosting move is Curse, which makes Marshtomp even slower. Regardless, Marshtomp is great for teams that need something that can sponge hits and deal damage back.

Curse
Adamant Nature
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/252 Attack/4 Defense
Moves:
Curse
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Punch/Body Slam

Curse will boost Attack and Defense by one stage at the cost of a Speed Drop by one stage, which when switching into a Electric Type move, can get off a curse if they are lacking Grass-type Coverage. Waterfall and Earthquake are Marshtomp's main STAB moves, that will do a lot of damage after a single boost. Ice Punch can be used to hit Flying and Grass types for super-effective damage with a chance to freeze. Body Slam may cause a chance to Paralyze, which can either force a switch or give Marshtomp the upper hand even with lower Speed.

Team Options: Togetic Passing a few boosts to Marshtomp could come in handy. Swadloon and Whirlipede setting Entry Hazards with Sticky Web and Spikes also could be useful as it will give Marshtomp and edge. Having Staravia or Monferno to take out the Grass Types that threaten Marshtomp as well as Electabuzz or Haunter to take out the Physically bulky walls greatens Marshtomp's longevity and usefulness to the team.

Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/252 Attack/4 Defense
Item: Assault Vest
Moves:
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Punch
Power-Up-Punch/Superpower/Body Slam

With an Assault Vest held, Marshtomp becomes very specially bulky as well as able to stay on the offensive. Waterfall and Earthquake still deal the best STAB damage for Marshtomp, while Ice Punch aids with extra longevity in taking on Grass, Ground, or Flying types trying to switch into Marshtomp's attacks. Power-Up-Punch is the only way for Marshtomp to gain boosts with an Assault Vest, while Superpower does more damage despite the drop in Attack and Defense afterwards. Body Slam can cause a chance of Paralysis, allowing Marshtomp to gain an advantage with the opponent's drop in Speed.

Team Options: Having Clefairy on the team to restore Marshtomp's HP is a wise decision, as it'll give Marshtomp some more longevity. Trick Room setters can give Marshtomp a great deal of support by reversing speed.

Other Options: Stealth Rock is not a bad idea as Marshtomp can make full use of being a Stealth Rock Setter on a Physically Defensive set. Life Orb can be run instead of Leftovers, but then Marshtomp has no Recovery and has limited use. Choice Band can buff Marshtomp's attack greatly, while Choice Scarf can make up for it's poor speed if running an Offensive Set.

Last edited:
I like the effort you put into this and it always makes me or anyone happy to see people contribute; however there are a few things to change that I can say off of a brief run down.
1. Consistency. This is extremely important for Smogon analyses. When you are talking about a typing say Water-type or Water-,Ground-type. Capitalize item names like Life Orb or Focus Sash.
2. Team options; this is essential for teambuilding and for an analysis that tries to help people enter or learn the tier.
3. Some of the sets, namely Grovyle's, aren't very good. Instead of Sash run Sitrus and with Unburden you only really need to run enough speed to outspeed everything after the boost. Basically, don't run max speed.

I think that this is a good start but it needs work. I think that looking at other analyses and simply practicing can go a long way.

I like the effort you put into this and it always makes me or anyone happy to see people contribute; however there are a few things to change that I can say off of a brief run down.
1. Consistency. This is extremely important for Smogon analyses. When you are talking about a typing say Water-type or Water-,Ground-type. Capitalize item names like Life Orb or Focus Sash.
2. Team options; this is essential for teambuilding and for an analysis that tries to help people enter or learn the tier.
3. Some of the sets, namely Grovyle's, aren't very good. Instead of Sash run Sitrus and with Unburden you only really need to run enough speed to outspeed everything after the boost. Basically, don't run max speed.

I think that this is a good start but it needs work. I think that looking at other analyses and simply practicing can go a long way.
Yeah, this is the first time doing so, and Grovyle looking at it again I think really shows the fact that I haven't gotten to do a MC battle yet (Nobody was willing at all when I tried looking, else this would be different), so mostly going by distinguishes between their older and younger sibling evolutions, and Treecko I think it's safe to say I've had the worst luck on berry juice sets.

Teambuilding options I haven't tackled yet mostly since I was somewhat rushed when I made these analyses, I'll try getting around to them after finally getting at least a few battles of or at the very least watching some if I can find any. Thanks for the feedback though, when able I'll fix them up, or add a few more later when I have time.

I guess these might as well be first impressions. ^-^;

Last edited:
Gonna chime in to say I'm up for MC matches on Showdown, under the name "Billy the Uncle". I have a semi-crappy team I threw together out of boredom and I look forward to try (and hopefully improve) it.

So if you see me in the Other Metas room, feel free to hit me up =)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)