Type Reflectors

Quantum Tesseract , I don't think that, sometime good people stop laddering because they don't have time or for another reasons. Or even the main reason someone is higher in this ladder is because he ladds a lot. The GXE with at least 100games and 80 shows you're decent in my opnion. Anyway, sorry for this, it isn't the goal of this topic.

Concerning best Mega by type here is my opinion:

• Steel: M-Altaria, because it completes well with Steel weakness (Fire, Ground, Fighting (and in another case, water)).
• Fighting: Alakazam-M , Metagross- M. M-Alakazam with Focus Blast is really strong, it outspeeds everything too and Trace is a nice ability. For M-Gross, the main reason is its speed and flying, Psychic neutral weakness and Hammer Arm is so painfull for opponent.
• Dragon: M-Aggron: Why it? Because it counters a lot of Fairy type in this metagame. (M-Altaria and Clefable are overused and that's a good thing for Dragon to run M-Aggron) and for its Ice and Dragon resistances too.
• Water: M-Gyarados. It's the best thing with its ability to counter some teams with Levitate, Water Absorb Pokemon.
• Electric: M-Latias (CM set), M-Metagross for its covery moves. They're both good and Latias can do the M-Latias job, so, probably M-Metagross.
• Fairy: I don't know for this, I don't find Fairy type need a mega in this metagame.
• Fire: M-Manectric: It helps a lot Fire type with Electric moves and it gains STAB for Overhat/Flamethrower.
• Ice: M-Altaria: same reasons than in Steel type.
• Bug: I don't know, perhaps M-Pinsir or M-Heracross but I say that as Monotype player.
• Normal: M-Lopunny, it's very helpful against Ghost type.
• Grass: M-Charizard Y, that's the one viable with M-Venusaur.
• Poison: M-Medicham, Fighting/Poison is really good and Psychic isn't used a lot in this meta, so it's fine for it and it gets Poison Jab as STAB poison move.
• Psy: M-Altaria for same reasons than in Steel and Ice types.
• Rock: M-Altaria for same reasons than in Steel Psychic and Ice types.
• Ground: Mega-Metagross: it helps a lot against Ice type and it gives a good offensive presence. (And the Volcanion, Shaymin, M-Metagross core is really powerful ).
• Ghost: M-Lopunny because it helps against Ghost and Dark weaknesses.
• Dark: M-Altaria because blablabla, always same reasons.
• Flying: M-Altaria because in monotype, M-Altaria, Zapdos, Skarmory core is so strong (that's one of many reasons Malaria has been banned from Monotype btw).

→ M-Altaria is the best Mega in this metagame because it helps a lot against Type weaknesses.

Neat team! I have some qualms, obviously, with how knock off weak everything bar Megalop is, and Togekiss, your other absorber, still doesn't appreciate losing its item. I can see how you deal with it, but if Lopunny goes down Bisharp just puts in work against your team, and your only hope is prediction games with Gengar. I'ts not terribly common though, so thank goodness for small mercies. If I had to mak a suggestion, it'd probably be to give sarmory counter or something, but I'm not sure how worthwhile that is.
Amusingly, I think that your ghost team is more weak to fairy than dark. Your team has some problems with decently common picks such as jirachi (only beaten by gengar, although skarm can phase), clefable (you stated your troubles, it isn't the worst but), and mega absol, who just sets up and sweeps- especially with a layer of spikes up to break sturdy. I'm not sure what you can do here except run more steels, which is supoptimal for many reasons. Regardless, gratz on peak.
Bisharp isn't any kind of prediction game at all -I just drop a Will o Wisp on it and it's neutered. Teams carrying Bisharp are almost never able to Heal Bell it, and even the ones that can usually don't try, instead preferring to Swords Dance, stay in, and try to sweep me anyway.

Jirachi isn't a problem unless it's running mixed. Physical Jirachi can't get past Skarmory or Alomomola and Special Jirachi can't get past Chansey. It's pretty easy to manipulate Special Jirachi into switching into Alomomola's Knock Off (To clear out Leftovers) and then, later, Scald, too, at which point it's trivial for Chansey to pressure it/kill it with Seismic Toss, even if it's running Wish+Calm Mind.

If there was an item to actually punish Knock Off, I'd be running it on Togekiss. As-is, I don't see much point to doing something like putting Mail on it. In matches with no Knock Off, Leftovers is nice, but in matches where it loses its Leftovers it usually doesn't lose anything big.

Mega Absol is definitely something I have to play right, particularly if it's on a Fairy team where it's both quite likely to be running Play Rough and is also neutral to Drain Punch, but generally my worst case scenario is having to sacrifice a Pokemon or two to get it out of the way, and more often what happens is Mega Lopunny Switches in on the Swords Dance and gets rid of it. In practice I'm a lot more terrified of Mega Charizard X, which can force me to just Fake Out+sacrifice multiple times -and the few I've seen usually drop Earthquake for Roost, putting me into a horrible prediction game.

Ghoul King , can u add more replays for your RMT, please?
I think only one isn't enough for a RMT.

What do you do against Dragon Dance/Sub/Waterfall/EQ Gyarados Ground/Water? It seems good against your team.
Nice team however, perhaps the Togekiss set and spread have to be edited to be more bulky in my opinion.

(Ps: You don't need to show your temporary rank to post one RMT, ladder doesn't prove anything most of time as they are many skilled people who don't ladd).
I didn't expect to reach #1, so I didn't save replays for most of my laddering. I might grab more and edit them in later, but I don't actually have any because I wasn't expecting to need any -I almost never hit #1 on any ladder, and have been losing often enough I was assuming I was somewhere below #10 until my opponent was all "Welp, there goes my place as #1 on the ladder".

Gyarados is tricky, but Sub-Dragon Dance almost always lets me get a free Whirlwind (As in, they Substitute as I switch in, and then Dragon Dance and are forced out) and after that I'm on the watch for their shenanigans. Usually what happens after that is that at some point I have Chansey out, predict the Gyarados switch-in, and hit it with Toxic, and then bring in one of my Physical walls and basically stall it out. It usually gives up on the Substitute at that point, and so I can often, if the walling is going awry, switch in Gengar as a sacrifice or to finish it off with Shadow Ball, and if it goes down on the switch-in Mega Lopunny uses Fake Out to add another turn of Toxic to it.

Togekiss is already Specially Defensive. It can't be more bulky. I wanted Calm Mind, but it doesn't have it, so I ran Nasty Plot. Making it Physically Defensive would compromise its role on the team, and shifting to more mixed bulk would also compromise its role.

I posted that I hit #1 on the ladder to prove that it happened, nothing more. I didn't want to make a post and have it turn out that I'd dropped to #4 in the meantime or something silly like that.

Outside of that, what are people's opinions on the best follower mega for each type? Ghost is probably Megalop, Fairy is Absol or the same, steel is probably Latias...
I'm definitely of the opinion that Mega Lopunny is king for Ghost, with Mega Altaria is a good second that might fit some Ghost teams better (I could also see an argument for Mega Slowbro, as it makes a solid Knock Off absorber due to its absurd bulk and can actually tank an Iron Head from Bisharp as well, while spreading Burns and threatening a Calm Mind sweep), and that Mega Latias acting as a Special wall/Stored Power sweeper is one of Steel's best possible Megas. And yeah, Mega Absol is one of Fairy's better options -I could see an argument for Mega Sableye, though. (It gets Dazzling Gleam, and Dark Pulse+Dazzling Gleam is pretty good coverage for Calm Mind sets willing to forgo Will O Wisp)

Water: M-Gyarados. It's the best thing with its ability to counter some teams with Levitate, Water Absorb Pokemon.
Did you know Mega Garchomp gets Surf and Aqua Tail? Dragon/Water is an amazing defensive typing too, and a solid offensive pairing.

Ice: M-Altaria: same reasons than in Steel type.
... if I were to run an Ice team, I'd far rather have Mega Charizard X rather than another Steel-weak Pokemon. Shares a Rock weakness, but Rock coverage is comparatively uncommon, and in particular the Rock type isn't a common/good type on the ladder like Steel is. Either that or focus entirely on offense and run Mega Medicham with Ice Punch -it's not like Ice is going to make a successful stall team anyway.

Poison: M-Medicham, Fighting/Poison is really good and Psychic isn't used a lot in this meta, so it's fine for it and it gets Poison Jab as STAB poison move.
Hardwalled by Ghosts and Poison types. In my opinion, Steel and Fire are the main teams Mega Medicham can shine reasonably well in.

Flying: M-Altaria because in monotype, M-Altaria, Zapdos, Skarmory core is so strong (that's one of many reasons Malaria has been banned from Monotype btw).
A Flying team can probably do some interesting things involving unusual Pokemon gaining Flying typing rather than, you know, running a Monotype team. I wouldn't be so quick to assume Mega Altaria is still a great choice for it. Oddly, Mega Lopunny strikes me as a decent choice for Flying -it resists Rock and is neutral to Ice and Electric while threatening STAB attackers of the first two types and in turn its weakness to Fighting is covered by the entire rest of the team and it's pretty easy to carry stuff that resists its Fairy and Flying weaknesses. Skarmory and Zapdos can both switch into anything that threatens Mega Lopunny.

Bisharp isn't any kind of prediction game at all -I just drop a Will o Wisp on it and it's neutered. Teams carrying Bisharp are almost never able to Heal Bell it, and even the ones that can usually don't try, instead preferring to Swords Dance, stay in, and try to sweep me anyway.
What? When you drop a will o wisp, you just gave them a free sd (the turn you stay in). Your Gengar is scarfed- you cant just drop a WoW and then ko with focus blast. Using a turn to burn a +0 Bisharp is passive damage and decreased ability to boost- that's it. Besides, the fact that people "don't try" doesn't make it less of a threat.
Jirachi isn't a problem unless it's running mixed. Physical Jirachi can't get past Skarmory or Alomomola and Special Jirachi can't get past Chansey. It's pretty easy to manipulate Special Jirachi into switching into Alomomola's Knock Off (To clear out Leftovers) and then, later, Scald, too, at which point it's trivial for Chansey to pressure it/kill it with Seismic Toss, even if it's running Wish+Calm Mind

If there was an item to actually punish Knock Off, I'd be running it on Togekiss. As-is, I don't see much point to doing something like putting Mail on it. In matches with no Knock Off, Leftovers is nice, but in matches where it loses its Leftovers it usually doesn't lose anything big.
I would think that the subtoxic set would also be a big threat, as would the support set, but I can see that not being as big of a problem because of their rarity. Just out of question, though, what is your plan if they don't switch it onto Koff/Scald?

The general Koff punisher is a rocky helmet. Maybe consider running it (also hurts other physical attackers), but idk how worthwhile it is. As it happens, though, you cant add mail- mail doesn't exist in gen 6.

Concerning Togekiss, I wanted mean balanced bulk would be better as you already run 2 3 walls (Chansey, Alomomola and Skarm. 248HP/252Def/8Sp.def with Thunder Wave/Dazzling Gleam/Roost/Air Slash (No Stab but it's still 60% to flinch) because Nasty Plot is useless if u run a slow Pokemon who isn't enough bulky (physical here).
Concerning my theory about Gyarados/Sub/DD, I knew it you were going to say Whirlwind but it works only one time. Next, it can't save u anymore. (Don't think I'm unfriendly with u, I just give my opinion about your team and how it could be improved.

Did you know Mega Garchomp gets Surf and Aqua Tail? Dragon/Water is an amazing defensive typing too, and a solid offensive pairing.
Yes I know but the Mold Breaker ability is really good in this meta because I see a lot of Pokemon with Levitate, Water Absorb, Multiscale/Dnite. And as u said, "Ghost is a top type", so, M-Gyarados is better in my opinion. If you want a Dragon/Water, there is Latias/Latios (Special), Dnite, regular Garchomp, Haxorus (Physical).
That's my reasoning about this point.

... if I were to run an Ice team, I'd far rather have Mega Charizard X rather than another Steel-weak Pokemon. Shares a Rock weakness, but Rock coverage is comparatively uncommon, and in particular the Rock type isn't a common/good type on the ladder like Steel is. Either that or focus entirely on offense and run Mega Medicham with Ice Punch -it's not like Ice is going to make a successful stall team anyway.
Jellicent is better has steel counter: Will-O-Wisp with Water/Ice and a decent bulk can ruin steel type (Chandelure can't beat Jellicent as this last one has lost its Ghost type).
But I give you the point in this type, it's just a preference of Mega. Both are good and have advantages/ inconvenients.

Hardwalled by Ghosts and Poison types. In my opinion, Steel and Fire are the main teams Mega Medicham can shine reasonably well in.
If you only take one Pokemon like this, of course, it's useless.
Like M-Altaria is bad against Fairy and steel types, like M-Zard X is bad against Ground/water types (The M-Zard X offensive set), ....
Every Pokemon get a check. M-Medi gives to Poison something good as Mega Pokemon in Poison types are difficult to go with that.

"A Flying team can probably do some interesting things involving unusual Pokemon gaining Flying typing rather than, you know, running a Monotype team. I wouldn't be so quick to assume Mega Altaria is still a great choice for it. Oddly, Mega Lopunny strikes me as a decent choice for Flying -it resists Rock and is neutral to Ice and Electric while threatening STAB attackers of the first two types and in turn its weakness to Fighting is covered by the entire rest of the team and it's pretty easy to carry stuff that resists its Fairy and Flying weaknesses. Skarmory and Zapdos can both switch into anything that threatens Mega Lopunny."

→ U don't play Monotype often to say M-Altaria isn't good in Flying type I think. The best way to play Flying in this meta isn't HO but Bulky. That's why privilege the core I said is better.
I talk with my Monotype experience for this case. These 3 Pokemon can handle a large amount of Pokemon, even in this tier.

What? When you drop a will o wisp, you just gave them a free sd (the turn you stay in). Your Gengar is scarfed- you cant just drop a WoW and then ko with focus blast. Using a turn to burn a +0 Bisharp is passive damage and decreased ability to boost- that's it. Besides, the fact that people "don't try" doesn't make it less of a threat.
99% of the time, they Sucker Punch or use Pursuit. They Swords Dance while I'm switching, usually to Mega Lopunny as it can take anything Bisharp does while Burned and then tank a Sucker Punch on the following turn and OHKO with Drain Punch. If I've lost Mega Lopunny, I can still switch in Alomomola, Wishtect, or go gutsy and anticipate a Swords Dance and smack them with Knock Off (To remove the Life Orb and reduce their damage output, if they have one) or Scald (Does something like 40%, leaving them almost no time at all in conjunction with the Burn damage) after putting up the Wish.

I would think that the subtoxic set would also be a big threat, as would the support set, but I can see that not being as big of a problem because of their rarity. Just out of question, though, what is your plan if they don't switch it onto Koff/Scald?
Sub-toxic is hard-walled by Skarmory and resents the 25% HP given up when I Whirlwind it out. Thanks to resists, even if it's a Specially-oriented Sub-toxic, it can't really KO Skarmory fast enough. Chansey can also shrug off a Toxic -take it, put up a Wish, switch out to Skarmory, switch back in, Sofboiled, Wish, etc.

If we're talking Fairy Jirachi in specific, the primary plan is to at some point win a predict with Gengar -either Trick-Choice it when it's a set that hates that, or just get in damage, die, and finish it off with Mega Lopunny. Most other Jirachi types I can just Drain Punch to death easily.

The general Koff punisher is a rocky helmet. Maybe consider running it (also hurts other physical attackers), but idk how worthwhile it is. As it happens, though, you cant add mail- mail doesn't exist in gen 6.
Eh. 1-time 1/6th of their HP isn't very useful to me, particularly given that Tornadus-Therian is the main Knock Offer that I ever switch Togekiss into and it has Regenerator. I'll stick to Leftovers.

Concerning Togekiss, I wanted mean balanced bulk would be better as you already run 2 3 walls (Chansey, Alomomola and Skarm. 248HP/252Def/8Sp.def with Thunder Wave/Dazzling Gleam/Roost/Air Slash (No Stab but it's still 60% to flinch) because Nasty Plot is useless if u run a slow Pokemon who isn't enough bulky (physical here).
Nasty Plot lets Togekiss break enemy stallmons, use Tornadus-Therian as set-up fodder to threaten to either kill Tornadus-Therian or kill whatever switches in, and just generally makes it a lot scarier for the enemy to deal with. Making it Physically Defensive would dramatically improve the odds of Tornadus-Therian killing it with Hurricane (It can get a 2HKO even through Leftovers if it's running Life Orb and Togekiss is Physically Defensive, albeit the odds are poor), and Tornadus-Therian is only meaningfully checked by Togekiss on my team.

Spreading around Paralysis isn't even useful to my team, as most of my team is slow walls and the two exceptions outspeed almost everything in the entire meta, including that Gengar will outspeed most Dragon Dancers if they've only boosted once. Paraflinch is also too slow of damage output and doesn't let Togekiss get past stuff like Calm Mind Magic Guard Clefable (Leftovers will undo too much of my damage every turn, so they only need the occasional successful turn to Softboiled stall me), which is one of the threats I struggle with most -I'd rather boost and be in a position to 2HKO it, most likely scaring it out. Full Paralysis also actually hurts my case against stall teams I'm trying to PP stall and can prevent me from getting Burn or Toxic on things I struggle to kill any other way

Concerning my theory about Gyarados/Sub/DD, I knew it you were going to say Whirlwind but it works only one time. Next, it can't save u anymore. (Don't think I'm unfriendly with u, I just give my opinion about your team and how it could be improved.
Did you not bother to read the part where I hit it with Toxic on the switch-in later? I also usually have at least one layer of Spikes up before it switches in again. Even if it gets a Substitute up and a Dragon Dance up, I can have Mega Lopunny break the Substitute with Fake Out and Gengar revenge with Focus Blast. Mega Lopunny also has a roughly 50% chance to survive a Jolly +1 Earthquake from Ground Gyarados if it's uninjured -I certainly don't want to count on these situations, but they're options if somehow I don't Toxic it and can't Whirlwind it out.

Jellicent is better has steel counter: Will-O-Wisp with Water/Ice and a decent bulk can ruin steel type (Chandelure can't beat Jellicent as this last one has lost its Ghost type).
But I give you the point in this type, it's just a preference of Mega. Both are good and have advantages/ inconvenients.
? Mega Charizard X can outright sweep many Steel teams all by itself. Jellicent... can't. They don't even begin to compare.

If you only take one Pokemon like this, of course, it's useless.
Like M-Altaria is bad against Fairy and steel types, like M-Zard X is bad against Ground/water types (The M-Zard X offensive set), ....
Every Pokemon get a check. M-Medi gives to Poison something good as Mega Pokemon in Poison types are difficult to go with that.
... Mega Charizard X is basically impossible to consistently check without Type/Ability combinations that don't exist in the regular game and aren't possible to get in Type Reflector. Dragon Claw+Flare Blitz+Earthquake hits almost everything in the entire meta -you can't get a Fairy/Flying Flashfire Pokemon. In fact, it mostly runs Earthquake for Heatran normally (Which many teams can't run in its usual role in Type Reflector!)

→ U don't play Monotype often to say M-Altaria isn't good in Flying type I think. The best way to play Flying in this meta isn't HO but Bulky. That's why privilege the core I said is better.
I talk with my Monotype experience for this case. These 3 Pokemon can handle a large amount of Pokemon, even in this tier.
What? I didn't say Mega Altaria isn't good in Flying. I said Flying can run completely different teams from in Monotype, so I don't consider your Monotype experience a useful foundation for drawing conclusions about whether Mega Altaria is actually a good Mega for Flying in Type Reflector. It may well be that Mega Altaria is fantastic for Flying teams, but the Monotype experience is just too different. Monotype doesn't get stuff like Steel/Flying Jirachi: Physically Defensive Jirachi is only marginally less Physically bulky than Skarmory -as in damage difference is less than a percent of health- while being faster, harder-hitting, more Specially bulky, able to hit on Special competently in addition to Physical, and providing options like Wish passing. Skarmory is still the superior hazards manager, but that's beside the point -the point is that Monotype Flying doesn't get Jirachi at all, let alone as a Steel/Flying type.

While Zapdos seems likely to remain a staple 'mon on Flying type teams in Type Reflector just because it's by far the best Electric type at being a wall sort of 'mon (Bulk, recovery, Pressure), that doesn't mean that core isn't beaten out in utility by some other core for a Flying team.

99% of the time, they Sucker Punch or use Pursuit. They Swords Dance while I'm switching, usually to Mega Lopunny as it can take anything Bisharp does while Burned and then tank a Sucker Punch on the following turn and OHKO with Drain Punch. If I've lost Mega Lopunny, I can still switch in Alomomola, Wishtect, or go gutsy and anticipate a Swords Dance and smack them with Knock Off (To remove the Life Orb and reduce their damage output, if they have one) or Scald (Does something like 40%, leaving them almost no time at all in conjunction with the Burn damage) after putting up the Wish.
Why is this at all relevant? A well played Bisharp will still be getting a kill whenever it comes in, and if they have cleric support your only way of denying them from sweeping is to KO them, which is hard as you lack a counter.

Sub-toxic is hard-walled by Skarmory and resents the 25% HP given up when I Whirlwind it out. Thanks to resists, even if it's a Specially-oriented Sub-toxic, it can't really KO Skarmory fast enough. Chansey can also shrug off a Toxic -take it, put up a Wish, switch out to Skarmory, switch back in, Sofboiled, Wish, etc.
I was referring to the subtoxic set, which generally runs iron head, toxic, substitute, and Fire Punch. Your Skarmory cant do much to it, (especially as the balance teams it goes on tend to run wish support), allowing it to fish for a burn every time you come in with Skarmory. Since seren grace fire punch does a solid 25%, all your skarmory can do is phase it, and it has a 25% chance to burn, you can switch in about 3 times before getting burned (on average). That cripples your skarmory and means that with a layer of spikes up it can beat you (iron head only needs to flinch once), and nothing else on your team bar Gengar does more than tickle it 1v1.

Nasty Plot lets Togekiss break enemy stallmons, use Tornadus-Therian as set-up fodder to threaten to either kill Tornadus-Therian or kill whatever switches in, and just generally makes it a lot scarier for the enemy to deal with. Making it Physically Defensive would dramatically improve the odds of Tornadus-Therian killing it with Hurricane (It can get a 2HKO even through Leftovers if it's running Life Orb and Togekiss is Physically Defensive, albeit the odds are poor), and Tornadus-Therian is only meaningfully checked by Togekiss on my team.

Spreading around Paralysis isn't even useful to my team, as most of my team is slow walls and the two exceptions outspeed almost everything in the entire meta, including that Gengar will outspeed most Dragon Dancers if they've only boosted once. Paraflinch is also too slow of damage output and doesn't let Togekiss get past stuff like Calm Mind Magic Guard Clefable (Leftovers will undo too much of my damage every turn, so they only need the occasional successful turn to Softboiled stall me), which is one of the threats I struggle with most -I'd rather boost and be in a position to 2HKO it, most likely scaring it out. Full Paralysis also actually hurts my case against stall teams I'm trying to PP stall and can prevent me from getting Burn or Toxic on things I struggle to kill any other way

Did you not bother to read the part where I hit it with Toxic on the switch-in later? I also usually have at least one layer of Spikes up before it switches in again. Even if it gets a Substitute up and a Dragon Dance up, I can have Mega Lopunny break the Substitute with Fake Out and Gengar revenge with Focus Blast. Mega Lopunny also has a roughly 50% chance to survive a Jolly +1 Earthquake from Ground Gyarados if it's uninjured -I certainly don't want to count on these situations, but they're options if somehow I don't Toxic it and can't Whirlwind it out.

? Mega Charizard X can outright sweep many Steel teams all by itself. Jellicent... can't. They don't even begin to compare.

... Mega Charizard X is basically impossible to consistently check without Type/Ability combinations that don't exist in the regular game and aren't possible to get in Type Reflector. Dragon Claw+Flare Blitz+Earthquake hits almost everything in the entire meta -you can't get a Fairy/Flying Flashfire Pokemon. In fact, it mostly runs Earthquake for Heatran normally (Which many teams can't run in its usual role in Type Reflector!)
Charizard-X is also not a stall/balance mon, and stops you from running Mega Altaria (who, surprise, beats Charizard-X, which sweeps ice as well).

I'm also completely clueless as to what your trying to say here. Earthquake off itemless, not tc nonstab 130 base attack isn't very threatening, so anything that beats its stabs without being weak to the move works just fine. It has a few solid counters (Standard Azumaril, Maltaria, Landot of a non fire or dragon weak type, most water/dragon fairy types, most Fairy water/dragon types, most gliscor) as well as a ton of checks, like mega Slowbro, all the previous mons, faster dragons (like latios), rock types, excadrill in sand/with scarf...

What? I didn't say Mega Altaria isn't good in Flying. I said Flying can run completely different teams from in Monotype, so I don't consider your Monotype experience a useful foundation for drawing conclusions about whether Mega Altaria is actually a good Mega for Flying in Type Reflector. It may well be that Mega Altaria is fantastic for Flying teams, but the Monotype experience is just too different. Monotype doesn't get stuff like Steel/Flying Jirachi: Physically Defensive Jirachi is only marginally less Physically bulky than Skarmory -as in damage difference is less than a percent of health- while being faster, harder-hitting, more Specially bulky, able to hit on Special competently in addition to Physical, and providing options like Wish passing. Skarmory is still the superior hazards manager, but that's beside the point -the point is that Monotype Flying doesn't get Jirachi at all, let alone as a Steel/Flying type.

While Zapdos seems likely to remain a staple 'mon on Flying type teams in Type Reflector just because it's by far the best Electric type at being a wall sort of 'mon (Bulk, recovery, Pressure), that doesn't mean that core isn't beaten out in utility by some other core for a Flying team.
It probably is pretty useful, though, as your team will still by and large have the same weaknesses. Mega Altaria resists electric, isn't weak to rock, is only 2x weak to ice (unlike landot), has a great typing, great stats... you still have the same reasons as always to pick it. Flying can run completely different teams, but to be honest I don't know why it would- what it has is already really, really good, especially as it got some of its best mons back.

Look, the way I see it, you have two choices- either accept that your team has flaws, and make it better, or hold it up as an example, and potentially struggle against good players. These holes in your team are very real, and saying that "usually, it doesn't happen like that" is simply a terrible argument. I genuinely don't understand why you would post a team in a thread to be RMT'd and then ignore all the rates you get in favor of your current version. If you just wanted to post it as an example, that's fine, but in that case it probably would have been better off in the sample teams thread.

Why is this at all relevant? A well played Bisharp will still be getting a kill whenever it comes in, and if they have cleric support your only way of denying them from sweeping is to KO them, which is hard as you lack a counter.
What? No.

252+ Atk Life Orb burned Bisharp Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 138-164 (53.2 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It doesn't even get the KO on Gengar when I Burn it, and most people seem to expect me to stay in at that point and let me escape successfully. If they don't let me escape, Mega Lopunny comes in and easily revenges.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb burned Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 333-394 (62.3 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

This is Bisharp having gotten Burned and Swords Danced while Gengar switched to Alomomola. Alomomola uses Wish while this happens.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb burned Bisharp Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 224-265 (41.9 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If I Protect while they attack, I can Wishtect stall for a few turns while Burn damage racks up, as Wishtect actually outpaces their damage output. In actuality every match I had where this came up I either Wishtected once and then predicted a second Swords Dance and smacked them after the second Wish or predicted a Swords Dance after the first Wish -with Knock Off to take out their Life Orb we get

+4 252 Atk burned Bisharp Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 258-304 (48.3 - 56.9%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO

this, which is still not enough to KO Alomomola in short order, and they've taken a minimum of four turns of Burn damage+the Knock Off, not counting Life Orb damage if they were running it.

Bisharp is a threat, but unless I play really badly I'm generally most likely to lose Gengar and lose Alomomola's Leftovers and those are my only casualties. Gengar is, frankly, my most disposable party member, the one I'm most prone to sacrificing if I've misplayed badly enough that I need a sacrifice, so that's not usually a terrible loss, while Alomomola's Leftovers are only critical for a few specific matchups. They're nice to have, of course, but I can get by without them in most cases.

Mega Lopunny, meanwhile, is 100% a counter once Mega Evolved to anything short of Banded Bisharp predicting it with Brick Break.

(Adamant Life Orb also has a 25% chance of a OHKO with Brick Break, admittedly)

Mega Lopunny rarely goes down in my matches -it's startlingly difficult to kill, helped by the fact that Talonflame is so rare. (Understandable, given you either have to be running it as team leader for a Fire team or as part of a Flying team for it to retain STAB on its Gale Wings moves)

I was referring to the subtoxic set, which generally runs iron head, toxic, substitute, and Fire Punch. Your Skarmory cant do much to it, (especially as the balance teams it goes on tend to run wish support), allowing it to fish for a burn every time you come in with Skarmory. Since seren grace fire punch does a solid 25%, all your skarmory can do is phase it, and it has a 25% chance to burn, you can switch in about 3 times before getting burned (on average). That cripples your skarmory and means that with a layer of spikes up it can beat you (iron head only needs to flinch once), and nothing else on your team bar Gengar does more than tickle it 1v1.
It only has a 20% chance to Burn, not a 25% chance. It takes an average of 5 hits to Burn Skarmory, and is still nothing to actually count on in a reasonable time frame. It's not until 30+% that moves reasonably reliably trigger somewhere in the first 1-3 hits. Jirachi itself is most likely to be trying to switch into Alomomola, risking losing its Item and risking being Burned, and if it's Burned it really can't do much to Skarmory.

Meanwhile, I'm going to be stacking Spikes on it, it's not going to be immune to them if it's not on a Flying team, it actually only does 25% to Chansey with Iron Head (This makes it plausible to, for instance, soak a Toxic aimed at Alomomola with not too much fear that they'll predict and hit it with Iron Head instead), and that particular set can be switched into by both Gengar and Mega Lopunny, particularly thanks to my Wish support, as neither of its attacking moves is a OHKO, Gengar is immune to Toxic, and Mega Lopunny is my Heal Beller and will keep its health up with Drain Punch.

Charizard-X is also not a stall/balance mon, and stops you from running Mega Altaria (who, surprise, beats Charizard-X, which sweeps ice as well).

I'm also completely clueless as to what your trying to say here. Earthquake off itemless, not tc nonstab 130 base attack isn't very threatening, so anything that beats its stabs without being weak to the move works just fine. It has a few solid counters (Standard Azumaril, Maltaria, Landot of a non fire or dragon weak type, most water/dragon fairy types, most Fairy water/dragon types, most gliscor) as well as a ton of checks, like mega Slowbro, all the previous mons, faster dragons (like latios), rock types, excadrill in sand/with scarf...
I'm puzzled as to why you think faster Dragons make for a good check to Mega Charizard X. It's really easy for it to Dragon Dance while not being Mega Evolved, soaking any Dragon STAB fairly easily as a result, and then Dragon Claw them -or Flare Blitz them if they're on a Steel team.

My point about Earthquake is that the vast majority of Pokemon that can switch into both Flare Blitz and Dragon Claw can't switch into Earthquake so easily... though I do have to wonder if some other coverage move is more relevant to Type Reflector. Steel Wing might make more sense since Fairy checks are probably more common while Heatran is uncommon, since it loses its niches on most team types.

I'm not sure why you think Mega Charizard X isn't a balance 'mon. I can see thinking it's not stall, but it seems to me to be exactly the kind of thing balance runs.

It probably is pretty useful, though, as your team will still by and large have the same weaknesses. Mega Altaria resists electric, isn't weak to rock, is only 2x weak to ice (unlike landot), has a great typing, great stats... you still have the same reasons as always to pick it. Flying can run completely different teams, but to be honest I don't know why it would- what it has is already really, really good, especially as it got some of its best mons back.
Well, unlike Monotype it can get (an actually competent) Unaware, for one. I'll admit Flying has a lot of the important tools in the context of Monotype, but I honestly find it unlikely that a good Monotype Flying team ported directly into Type Reflector couldn't be basically directly upgraded by swapping in some non-natively Flying Pokemon.

Look, the way I see it, you have two choices- either accept that your team has flaws, and make it better, or hold it up as an example, and potentially struggle against good players. These holes in your team are very real, and saying that "usually, it doesn't happen like that" is simply a terrible argument. I genuinely don't understand why you would post a team in a thread to be RMT'd and then ignore all the rates you get in favor of your current version. If you just wanted to post it as an example, that's fine, but in that case it probably would have been better off in the sample teams thread.
These "holes" are not "holes". The only one you've pointed to as a flaw that is a flaw is Bisharp, and frankly I'm a Ghost team of course I'm weak to Bisharp. I could be less weak by running Mandibuzz, for example, but I feel I lose too much elsewhere if I sub it in over anything I'm currently running, and I'd still be weak to Bisharp. This is less a flaw of my team and more a difficulty inherent to running a Ghost team, really. The difficulties I have against Fairy are much more relevant and if you'd offered any advice for how to patch those I might be saying "Ah! That is a good idea." rather than saying "This is how I deal with X" -because I deal with Bisharp just fine, all things considered. It really is Fairies and to a lesser extent Steel teams that give me the most trouble, and I'd love to make tweaks to address that.

Sub-Toxic Jirachi is something I wear down and maybe have some difficulty against -frankly, I was assuming you were talking something more threatening to my team than the Sub-Toxic set you're describing/that I'm seeing in the Calculator, like a mixed attacker that can actually break Skarmory and Chansey and Alomomola. That set is "not easy to deal with", it's not "threatening and liable to break my team all by itself".

EDIT: Also? You asked how I deal with these. I answered. You didn't say "This is a flaw you should patch up."

Also also? The Dark type that actually historically gave my team a lot of trouble: Weezing. Until I implemented Nasty Plot on Togekiss, it could literally solo my entire team, with the only thing I could do to deal with it being to have Gengar Trick-Choice it, which was almost impossible to actually arrange. Bisharp was a joke by comparison.

Last edited:
Just wanted to make a post because everyone is talking about pokemon gaining/changing types which is all well and good, but you know what's underrated? LOSING types.

Here's an example I made.
Underrated (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Electric type
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump/Rest
- Thunderbolt

Wall with 0 weaknesses. Yeah. That happened. Fairly standard sets work. I'd recommend the Chesto/Rest set just cuz HPump doesn't work that well without the typing.

There are more out there, that's just the first that came to mind. Anyway, this is just my contribution. Just noticed that this could be done and could be useful.

EDIT: This section of the post is for other possible pokes with types lost as types gained.
Pure Dragon Kyubs (outclassed by Electric tho)
Pure Dragon Dragonite (For support Dnite niche. Other sets outclassed by Normal.)
Pure Normal Diggersby only for Agility+Last Resort (A little outclassed by Ghost)
Pure Rock MAero (for support purposes. 1000% better defogger without SR weakness.)
Pure Water Starmie (Also outclassed by Electric. I sense a trend...)

Last edited:
ground+water azumarill
Volcanion fire+ground
Heatran bug/flying+steel
While normal+dragon Chansey is a bad type

Hello, I've waited played enough games in this new OM to talk about this,
I'm not agree with Dragon, Psychic Ghost, Dark and Normal types.

Dragon: It's probably one of the easiest types to play in this Metagame: The synergy between Dragon types are very good and can cover all types in this metagame.
Jirachi T-Wave/Iron Head can deal with all fairies and Ice type. In addition of that some Pokemon like M-Blastoise, M-Charizard Y, Serperior and Landorus-T are good as Offensive presences.
In my opinion, this type deserves at least the A Rank.

Psychic Type: This type doesn't benefit a lot new Double types but "regular monotype" is the strongest type because it could cover a lot. I'm not saying it works in this meta (from the few psychic teams I've seen and played) but you can deal with some types. → C Rank.

Ghost type: I don't know if just use Normal/Ghost as justification is a synonym of top type. I've to Admet that Kyu-B Sub/Roost/Shadow Claw/Dragon Claw is very powerful as PorygonZ but you can deal with this type without big issues as can give you Steel, Electric, Normal and Dragon. → B Rank.

Dark Type: The issue here is once your Fighting/Fairy check is dead, you're sweep by a Fairy type. Weezing is a good thing in this type, as Gengar or every Knock Off Stab but it isn't enough strong to be in top types. In my opinion, it just deserves B rank.

Normal Type: You've said that powerful STAB is good, so I don't understand why you said even with that it's a D rank.
3 things:
- M-Lopunny as Leader (To give you the Scrappy thing you need to hit and 0HKO many Pokemon.
- Extreme-Speed Spam: Entei, Lucario (SD), Dragonite (band or Weakness Policy), Arcanine are Pokemon who can abuse this STAB move. By example, Dnite band is able to end a team alone with only Espeed. Nothing can deal with it if you don't have your counter for it (Just remember the band is used with Outrage, EQ, Fire Punch, Espeed, this moveset is able to hit every type).
- Noivern Boomburst Specs: The only reason why Exploud is only RU is because it's slow. In contrast with Noivern, the Choice Specs Set outspeed almost the metagame (and 0HKO many Pokemon).
What about Fighting team? → Togekiss Fairy/Normal is enough if well used to counter many Fighting Pokemon.
Normal is a very good type who can handle every types, that's why I think it's A rank.

I don't want make a post without share some sets I've created (Even if I've seen some similar in this threat)

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch

Weaknesses: Fighting, Fire, Ground
Resistances: Bug, Dragon, Electric, Fairy, Flying, Grass, Ice, Normal, Psychic, Rock, Steel
Immunities: Poison
→ It's a nice type, the x4 to Ground can be deal with all Levitate (Gengar, Rotoms) and flying (Zapdos) Pokemon, so, it isn't a big issue.
The good thing here is M-Gross outspeeds a lot of Dragon and can 0HKO them with Ice Punch or even some Ground Pokemon, that's why I like using it in my Electric team: Fast and Powerful.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Weaknesses: Ground, Rock, Water
Resistances: Bug, Electric, Fairy, Fire, Flying, Grass, Ice, Steel
Immunities: None
→ The double type is good but I use it mainly for its STAB Flamethrower, Overheat move.
As Steel is became the most common type here, play M-Manectric in Fire type is a good thing, except Dragon/Steel type, it can deal with others and even Chandelure Steel/Ghost Flash Fire.

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Weaknesses: Fighting, Fire, Grass, Steel, Water
Resistances: Poison
Immunities: Electric
→ Double type looks bad like this but I use Glalie-M in my ground team to be able to deal with Dragon easily. All Dragon except Latias/Latios (Levitate) may be killed by this thing.
People will say "Why do you use it while you've Mamoswine?" → Frustration (M-Glalie) does more damage than Icicle Crash Life Orb (From Mamoswine) and Freeze dry is better on Glalie-M. In addition Glalie-M is faster.

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
Happiness: 0
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Weaknesses: Electric, Fighting, Grass
Resistances: Fire, Ice, Steel, Water
Immunities: Ghost
→ The only reason I play it in my Water team is for its ability Sap Sipper, nice double types: 2 weaknesses for 4 resistances and 2 immunities, I think it's a really decent Pokemon even if it will be useless against some Pokemon (Ghost/Levitation).

Porygon-Z @ Leftovers
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 194 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Agility

Weaknesses: Dark
Resistances: Bug, Poison
Immunities: Fighting, Ghost, Normal
→ A good sweeper (The Specs set is more powerful and offensive that this one (with Thunderbolt and Icebeam instead Nasty Plot and Agility).

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse

Weaknesses: Dragon, Fairy
Resistances: Fire, Steel, Water
→ Looks bad with the double type but it can stall most Special sweepers (Gengar is one example) except Fairy/Dragon. I especially play it for that role and as Pivot.

Well, I've many others sets to share but I will stop with the last one.
Marvel Scale is terrible it should be COMPETITIVE

Electric+Poison/ghost/steel Rotom-Wash is a good idea

Edit by The Immortal: DO NOT DOUBLE AND TRIPLE POST; USE THE EDIT BUTTON

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, guys. I'm going to make a post on a pokemon that can work on a ton, and i mean a ton of different types: Jirachi. Jirachi's main flaw in OU is that its typing isn't very good for it's movepool or defensively. However, there are several good options.
Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Type: Pure Steel OR Steel/Water OR Steel/Electric OR Steel/Ghost
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch OR Thunder Punch for Electric
- Healing Wish

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave/Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Body Slam/Meteor Mash/Thunder Punch (electric only)
- Protect (Ghost)/Healing Wish/Meteor Mash(Electric)/Body Slam

Note that Body Slam is a must-have for Electric types, as it can paralyze Ground types, and as any Electric player will know, Ground has already almost won in a battle v. an Electric team.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Toxic/Body Slam/TWave
- Wish
- Protect

So, with this out here, prepared to be annoyed, as Ghost, Steel, and Electric are very common and Water isn't that rare. You can put one on your team if you want. I use it on the 2 teams I have.

Last edited:
Wow! I come back from a bit of a break (sorry about that btw, I'm swamped with school) to see another one of my megas is LCotM. Crazy!

On my phone right now but I will make sure to throughly read through this thread later today and look at the concerns of anything possibly being broken, and if any of you have any questions feel free to ask me!

Reactions: nv

I haven't as much Type Reflector as others, but its a cool meta and I think it could benefit from a guide to the various types you can base teams around.
I'll be covering the following info:

Pros/Cons: Self explanatory.
STAB: I listed damage moves of sufficient usefulness as well as distribution (ie: not listing Sacred Fire because it's only available on exiting Fire types.
Reflectors: First-slot options for defining your team's type, which means only primary-typed Pokemon are listed. I only included OU/UU ranked mons, as well.
Possible Team Members: Five Pokemon that benefit from the type change or benefit the overall team. Note that I'm only listing Pokemon who would see a type change, as well as Pokemon that can utilize a new STAB move. There are great and prominent Pokemon that I passed over for this reason (ie: Sylveon on Steel or Talonflame on Flying).
Type-changing Megas: These are Mega Pokemon that may benefit the type through providing new resistances. Naturally, a monotype team cannot resist one of their weaknesses outside of abilities and immunities, at best they can be neutral. Mega Pokemon get around this fact (ie: Mega Aggron provides a Fairy resistance on Fighting teams for Fighting/Dark/Dragon teams).

Expect typos and mistakes!

Pros: STAB is well-distributed, most prominent Bugs use it as their primary type (aka: can be used as Reflectors).
Cons: You have a number of painful weaknesses (namely [Stealth] Rock), Bug STAB is often low-damage and has poor coverage.
STAB: U-turn, X-Scissor, Signal Beam, Megahorn, Bug Buzz
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Landorus possesses one of the most powerful U-turns in the game with a Bug typing, and Ground/Bug provides many of the same resistances as Ground/Flying.
Also appreciates STAB on U-turn, but it also likes its Scizor-esque Steel/Bug typing, which brings its 4 weaknesses down to 1.
Can utilize Signal Beam over Ice Beam to beat Grass types, and Water/Bug isn't walled by Water like Water/Ice.
Also has Signal Beam, and trades its x4 Ground weakness to a neutrality. May allow it to more effectively trap certain Steels that could previously beat it.
Another Signal Beam user, and Psychic/Bug is pretty decent coverage alongside Focus Blast. Mainly notable for Magic Guard to make your team less SR-weak.

Type-changing Megas:
You'll gain the following resistances by putting these Megas on your team:
:

:

:
Pros: Knock Off and Sucker Punch are some of the best offensive moves around, STAB is well-distributed, Psyshic/Ghost matchups are pretty easy.
Cons: You struggle against Fighting and Fairy, and good coverage for those types is hard to find.
STAB: Crunch, Dark Pulse, Foul Play, Knock Off, Night Slash, Pursuit, Sucker Punch
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Foul Play Dark Diggersby is popular in Hidden Type due the ability for Huge Power to apply to the enemy with deadly results. You also get STAB Knock Off.
Dark/Ghost is a great typing, and Banette tends to already run Dark moves like Sucker Punch and Knock Off.
Would really appreciate STAB priority, which Sucker Punch gives it. Of its two existing STABs, Fighting is more disposable.
Makes good use of Knock Off (or even Dark Pulse) and appreciates the second typing for stuff like Psychics, which can't even deal with it using Focus Blast.
Mega Launcher STAB Dark Pulse is neat, allowing you to beat back pretty much any spinblocker.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:
Pros: Provides a ton of useful resistances, your STAB is very good for dishing out neutral damage.
Cons: Your STAB only hits other Dragons super-effectively, you are dealt with by two of the better types (Steel and Fairy), Dragon STAB has so-so distribution
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Typically runs Dragon Pulse for neutral coverage anyway, so extra damage on your coverage is appreciated.
Steel/Dragon typing is cool, and if you're running a special set, you're the only non-Dragon to get Draco Meteor.
Scarf sets can run Outrage to blast through opponents that don't fear Earthquake, like a stronger Garchomp.
Water/Dragon is a very good defensive typing, and you can fire off STAB Mega Launcher Dragon Pulses.
As a bulky phaser, Steelix would probably prefer Steel/Dragon to Steel/Ground, with STAB Dragon Tail making it better at its job.

Type-changing Megas:

:

:

:
Pros: You only have one innate weakness, it's easily covered by Flying types and Levitators.
Cons: Electric STAB can be tricky to find outside of Electric types, you also only have a few resistances.
STAB: Discharge, Thunder Fang, Thunder Punch, Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, Wild Charge
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Should be on every Electric team. Dragon/Electric is not only better defensively than Dragon/Ice, but you finally have physical non-Dragon STAB. Scary good.
One of the few Pokemon with access to good Electric STAB in Bolt Strike -- you have to give up your Fire STAB, though.
You not only provide Levitate to deal with Grounds, but you trade a situationally-useful Sludge Wave for Thunderbolt.
Fire/Electric leaves you very open to Ground types, but Reckless Flare Blitz + Wild Charge is a pretty deadly STAB combo.
Defensively, you trade some real resistances for a Ground weakness, but you also make great use of Discharge.

Type-changing Megas:
:
Pros: Fairy is an excellent defensive typing as well as an offensive one, many types already pair well with it.
Cons: STAB can be hard to find, you end up struggling against Steel, limited Reflector options.
STAB: Dazzling Gleam, Moonblast, Play Rough
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
A rare non-Fairy with both Play Rough and Moonblast, not to mention it has the kickass typing of Steel/Fairy.
Dark/Fairy is a cool typing with dual immunities and solid coverage in Knock Off and Play Rough.
You gain a more useful defensive typing as well as STAB on Moonblast, which Cresselia will often use anyway.
Water/Fairy is a cool defensive typing that might allow you to do your job as a spinner better, plus you get STAB Dazzling Gleam.
Play Rough/EQ is perfect neutral coverage, which may give you an edge over Excadrill.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:
Pros: Has a variety of strong STAB options, matches up pretty well against Steel teams.
Cons: Defensively less favorable than a lot of teams, most of your STAB moves have downsides (stat drops, low accuracy, etc.).
STAB: Aura Sphere, Brick Break, Close Combat, Cross Chop, Drain Punch, Focus Blast, Hammer Arm, Low Kick, Mach Punch, Superpower, Vacuum Wave
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Ghost/Fighting is perfect neutral coverage, though relying on Focus Blast accuracy is unfortunate.
Ditch that Ice typing for something that actually resists Rocks! You get Low Kick for STAB alongside the ever-reliable Knock Off.
While Ground/Fighting is fairly repetitive STAB, you have STAB No Guard Dynamic Punch with some perks of Machamp (like Stealth Rock).
While you face competition from other Fire/Fighting types, Flare Blitz/Close Combat/Extreme Speed + filler is a powerful combo.
Will STAB Contrary Superpower raise you from the depths of NU? Maybe not, but at the very least you weren't using that Psychic STAB anyway.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:
Pros: You have one of the best STAB types in the game, good matchup against Steel and Fairy teams.
Cons: You have a number of troubling weakness (Rock), good physical Fire STAB is hard to fine outside Fire types.
STAB: Fire Blast, Fire Fang, Fire Punch, Flamethrower, Heat Wave, Overheat
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Take on opposing Steels with Fire Blast/Flamethrower without being burdened with an SR weakness thanks to Magic Guard.
Has access to multiple Fire-type moves, the Houndoom-exclusive Dark/Fire typing and it is immune to Ground.
Provides an important Water immunity for Fire teams, while retaining strong Fire STAB.
Zard Y doesn't even use its Flying STAB, and hates its x4 Rock weakness. You can also provide Drought support.
Want a physical Heatran with recovery, a bit more Speed and a lot more hax? You know where to go.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:
Pros: Your STAB is very spammable, Ground types will never touch you.
Cons: Incredibly limited Reflector options, terrible STAB options outside of existing Flying types, team-wide Stealth Rock weakness, essentially necessitates the use of exiting Flying types like Talonflame to make full use of STAB combos.
STAB: Acrobatics, Aerial Ace, Air Slash, Bounce, Fly, Hurricane
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Not only do you have Skarmory's great defensive typing, but you have Bounce as a STAB option should you choose to use it.
Not SR-weak, and gets Technician-boosted Aerial Ace to use alongside its Fighting STAB.
Adaptability makes up for the low power of Aerial Ace, and Water/Flying is pretty good coverage.
Has to resort to HP Flying for STAB, but having Volt Absorb to negate your x4 weakness is really nice.
Probably not great, but STAB Hurricane may be useful -- at the very least, you're better other legal Grass/Flying types.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:
Pros: Great defensive typing, Shadow Ball has high distribution.
Cons: Limited Reflector choices, poor options for physical STAB.
STAB: Hex, Shadow Ball, Shadow Claw, Shadow Sneak
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Adaptability Tri Attack + Shadow Ball is a powerful STAB combo that hits almost everything neutrally.
Hex + Toxic Spikes + Scald is a pretty good combo for spreading status and dealing damage, plus you have Jellicent's unique type.
You miss STAB on Close Combat, but gain a STAB priority move in Shadow Sneak.
You have the same weaknesses, with a Bug resist and Fighting immunity. STAB Shadow Ball is arguably better than Psyshock.
Not only do you get to ditch that unfortunate Dragon/Ice typing for Giratina's Dragon/Ghost, but you also get STAB Shadow Claw.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:
Pros: Wide range of STAB options, wide range of Reflectors, useful resistances to types like Water.
Cons: High number of weaknesses, Grass often combos poorly with other types.
STAB: Bullet Seed, Energy Ball, Giga Drain, Grass Knot, Leaf Blade, Power Whip, Seed Bomb, Wood Hammer
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Water/Grass is a sweet defensive typing, and STAB Giga Drain helps keep your health high.
You already use Grass Knot to cover Ground types like Hippowdon, so getting STAB on it is nice.
Not only should this have been its typing already, but it makes Flower Veil a functional ability and you get STAB Giga Drain/Energy Ball.
Bug/Grass is a bad typing, but Skill Link Bullet Seed is one of the most powerful STAB Grass attacks you can find.
Rock Head Wood Hammer is neat, as is a Grass type that's neutral to 3/5 of the type's weaknesses.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:

:

:
Pros: STAB is widely available for both damage types, you can easily shut down Electric teams, you can cover all your weaknesses.
Cons: Your STAB struggles against plentiful Levitators as well as Flying types.
STAB: Earth Power, Earthquake
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Looking for a budget Primal Groudon? Volcanion has the same typing with Water Absorb instead of Desolate Land.
Shaymin gets STAB Earth Power and is neutral to 2/3 of Ground's weaknesses (and x4 weak to the other but shush).
Sap Sipper provides a useful Grass immunity, plus you're Water-neutral and can utilize STAB Earthquake.
With DD/SD, Mold Breaker Earthquake and 147 Attack, you become offensive Garchomp on steroids.
With access to both Thick Fat and Sap Sipper, Miltank provides Stealth Rock, recovery and STAB EQ for your team.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:
Pros: Ice hits many prominent types super-effectively, Ice Beam and Ice Punch are found on a number of non-Ice types.
Cons: Defensive synergy is terrible, SR-weakness is aggravating, Reflector choices are limited, the Steel matchup is an uphill battle.
STAB: Avalanche, Blizzard, Ice Beam, Ice Fang, Ice Punch, Ice Shard, Icy Wind
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
You can serve as a much-needed SR-neutral Rapid Spin user, with Ice Shard to boot.
Magic Guard helps mitigate the team's Rock weakness, and Ice Beam is solid STAB.
Provides a Fighting immunity and a Ground immunity with out using the terrible Ice/Flying typing. Plus, Icy Wind.
You're SR-neutral and get STAB on Sheer Force Ice Punch -- the Fighting type helps against Steel teams, too.
Sheer Force STAB Ice Beam is solid special damage, plus Nidoking has a bunch of cool coverage like Flamethrower.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:

:
Pros: Your STAB options are plentiful and powerful, only adds one potential weakness.
Cons: Can't hit anything super-effectively, has to lean on other primary types for resistances, only worth using for STAB on stuff like BB/ES.
STAB: Body Slam, Boomburst, Double-Edge, Explosion, Extreme Speed, Facade, Fake Out, Hyper Voice, Quick Attack, Return, Self-Destruct, Tri Attack
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
STAB Boomburst (plus Fire/Fighting/Flying coverage and high Speed).
STAB Extreme Speed (plus DD, Ground/Fire coverage and Multiscale).
STAB Boomburst (plus Ground STAB to hit Rocks/Steels, Roost and Defog)
STAB Extreme Speed (plus SD and Fighting STAB to hit Rocks/Steels)
STAB Explosion! :o (plus Ground STAB, Intimidate and useful resistances)

Type-changing Megas:
:
Pros: Defensively deals with Fighting and Fairy types, STAB spreads status and is fairly well-distributed.
Cons: STAB has poor coverage on its own, no available Reflectors are even tiered as OU, struggles with Steel.
STAB: Clear Smog, Cross Poison, Gunk Shot, Poison Jab, Sludge Bomb, Sludge Wave
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Gunk Shot + Flare Blitz deals with most Steel types and can be boosted by SD or Band.
You gain most of the benefits of Amoongus, but you trade Spore for greater offensive pressure.
Poison Jab maintains your Fairy-killing abilities, but you reduce your number of weaknesses to one.
STAB Mold Breaker Earthquake deals with Steel teams fairly well, plus you have Poison Jab for Grass types.
With Scald and Sludge Bomb, you'll be able to spread status and then Recovery off damage.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:
Pros: STAB had decent distribution, you have variety in Reflector choices.
Cons: Deals poorly with Dark and Steel teams, lacks notable resistances outside of Fighting.
STAB: Extrasensory, Future Sight, Psychic, Psycho Cut, Psyshock, Stored Power, Zen Headbutt
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
While you'll miss your Ghost typing, Psychic/Dark is neutral to two of Psychic's weakness (you even have Psychic STAB).
Sheer Force Zen Headbutt + Flare Blitz is solid, especially for dealing with the Steel types your team hates.
Justified punishes Dark type spam, and you have STAB options for both SD and NP sets.
Raikou sometimes runs Extrasensory to hit targets like Venusaur, so getting STAB on it isn't bad.
Tinted Lens ensures that you can't be walled by Steels, while Bug STAB hits Dark types hard.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:
Pros: Has key resistances to Fire/Flying/Normal, Rock Slide/Stone Edge has high distribution.
Cons: Adds five potential weaknesses, special STAB is rare/weak.
STAB: Ancient Power, Head Smash, Power Gem, Rock Blast, Rock Slide, Stone Edge
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Your Attack is higher than Terrakion and you have the same STAB, only you can't miss.
Can run Stone Edge or HP Rock while neutralizing your x4 weakness with Water Absorb.
Your typing is unfortunate, but Reckless STAB Head Smash + Flare Blitz will hurt.
Your Ghost typing neutralizes Rock's Fighting weakness, and you can make use of STAB Power Gem.
Your stats leave you fairly outclassed in standard play, but Sap Sipper + Stone Edge might give it a niche.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:

:

:
Pros: Unmatched defensive typing, handily deals with the also-good Fairy, your weaknesses can be covered with abilities/type immunities.
Cons: Your offensive STAB is so-so in both power and distribution, Fire/Ground/Fighting are popular offensive STAB options.
STAB: Bullet Punch, Flash Cannon, Gyro Ball, Heavy Slam, Iron Head, Iron Tail, Steel Wing
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Not only is Dragon/Steel a great defensive typing, but it's offensively solid as well -- Iron Head does damage at 170 Atk
Chesnaught basically becomes Ferrothorn with Synthesis recovery -- you even have low-Speed Gyro Ball.
While you'll miss STAB Earth Power, Sheer Force STAB Flash Cannon and a Heatran typing might be worth it.
You have Steel STAB options for both damage types, and Electric/Steel with Levitate mocks Ground moves.
Aegislash typing with recovery, Wisp and Leech Seed? Yes please. Gyro Ball hits decently hard as well.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:
Pros: Massive amount of Reflector choice, solid offensive and defensive options, only 2 weaknesses.
Cons: The best move (Scald) is mostly limited to existing Water types, STAB in general is hard to find.
STAB: Aqua Jet, Aqua Tail, Hydro Pump, Muddy Water, Scald, Surf, Waterfall
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Dragon/Water is a great defensive typing for a Defogger or offensive Pokemon, and you're a rare no-Water Hydro Pump user.
Your type leaves you with one rare weakness, and STAB Aqua Tail supplements Earthquake well. An Electric resist is also useful.
STAB Scald is cool on defensive sets, or even on an offensive Nasty Plot set, making it a much faster/more varied Slowking.
Sap Sipper is a useful asset for your team, and you can utilize either Aqua Tail or Muddy Water for STAB.
Dragalge used to be a Water type, and it can be again! Adaptability Scald/Hydro Pump may be preferable to Draco Meteor.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Assist need a suspect/ban? I know that a meta like this is inherently matchup based, but stuff like this is absurd
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/typereflector-372302943
I played v/ that same guy, and won. I don't really think it's ban worthy, considering other than the assist pokes and the assisted, there isn't really anything very good. It isn't even really that centralizing. I just stalled the sun out after killing the sun setter. Aside from that, its only really a 1.5x difference from normal games, and especially considering that normally those teams are subpar, this is fine. I think what you are feeling is that it took you by surprise, and it also it shouldn't even be viable. However, although it is viable, it isn't broken.

TL;DR It's a trolly strat that turned out good, so watch out, but you don't actually need to worry much in teambuilding, so you'll be fine.

EDIT: Made a team like this for myself. So far I have won ONCE. Lost THREE times. It's not op; It's way too viable for what it is.
EDIT 2: Played more, got closer and closer to 50/50. Basically autowin v. steel (unless Tran or Chandy). However, any flash fire will solely rek the team, although it can be dealt with by a few 'mons.

Last edited:
Pros: Has key resistances to Fire/Flying/Normal, Rock Slide/Stone Edge has high distribution.
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Your Attack is higher than Terrakion and you have the same STAB, only you can't miss.
Can run Stone Edge or HP Rock while neutralizing your x4 weakness with Water Absorb.
Your typing is unfortunate, but Reckless STAB Head Smash + Flare Blitz will hurt.
Your Ghost typing neutralizes Rock's Fighting weakness, and you can make use of STAB Power Gem.
Your stats leave you fairly outclassed in standard play, but Sap Sipper + Stone Edge might give it a niche.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:

:

:
Great post overall! I'm just wondering why Starmie and Slowking weren't included as potential Rock teammates but Mismagius was -like, Grumpig is unlikely to be worth it and Ampharos is no Mega Ampharos, but Slowking is basically only not OU because it's too similar to Slowbro and Starmie totally is OU.

Inspired me to actually get around to making a Fighting team, anyway. We'll see how it goes.

I haven't as much Type Reflector as others, but its a cool meta and I think it could benefit from a guide to the various types you can base teams around.
I'll be covering the following info:

Pros/Cons: Self explanatory.
STAB: I listed damage moves of sufficient usefulness as well as distribution (ie: not listing Sacred Fire because it's only available on exiting Fire types.
Reflectors: First-slot options for defining your team's type, which means only primary-typed Pokemon are listed. I only included OU/UU ranked mons, as well.
Possible Team Members: Five Pokemon that benefit from the type change or benefit the overall team. Note that I'm only listing Pokemon who would see a type change, as well as Pokemon that can utilize a new STAB move. There are great and prominent Pokemon that I passed over for this reason (ie: Sylveon on Steel or Talonflame on Flying).
Type-changing Megas: These are Mega Pokemon that may benefit the type through providing new resistances. Naturally, a monotype team cannot resist one of their weaknesses outside of abilities and immunities, at best they can be neutral. Mega Pokemon get around this fact (ie: Mega Aggron provides a Fairy resistance on Fighting teams for Fighting/Dark/Dragon teams).

Expect typos and mistakes!

Pros: STAB is well-distributed, most prominent Bugs use it as their primary type (aka: can be used as Reflectors).
Cons: You have a number of painful weaknesses (namely [Stealth] Rock), Bug STAB is often low-damage and has poor coverage.
STAB: U-turn, X-Scissor, Signal Beam, Megahorn, Bug Buzz
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Landorus possesses one of the most powerful U-turns in the game with a Bug typing, and Ground/Bug provides many of the same resistances as Ground/Flying.
Also appreciates STAB on U-turn, but it also likes its Scizor-esque Steel/Bug typing, which brings its 4 weaknesses down to 1.
Can utilize Signal Beam over Ice Beam to beat Grass types, and Water/Bug isn't walled by Water like Water/Ice.
Also has Signal Beam, and trades its x4 Ground weakness to a neutrality. May allow it to more effectively trap certain Steels that could previously beat it.
Another Signal Beam user, and Psychic/Bug is pretty decent coverage alongside Focus Blast. Mainly notable for Magic Guard to make your team less SR-weak.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:
Pros: Knock Off and Sucker Punch are some of the best offensive moves around, STAB is well-distributed, Psyshic/Ghost matchups are pretty easy.
Cons: You struggle against Fighting and Fairy, and good coverage for those types is hard to find.
STAB: Crunch, Dark Pulse, Foul Play, Knock Off, Night Slash, Pursuit, Sucker Punch
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Foul Play Dark Diggersby is popular in Hidden Type due the ability for Huge Power to apply to the enemy with deadly results. You also get STAB Knock Off.
Dark/Ghost is a great typing, and Banette tends to already run Dark moves like Sucker Punch and Knock Off.
Would really appreciate STAB priority, which Sucker Punch gives it. Of its two existing STABs, Fighting is more disposable.
Makes good use of Knock Off (or even Dark Pulse) and appreciates the second typing for stuff like Psychics, which can't even deal with it using Focus Blast.
Mega Launcher STAB Dark Pulse is neat, allowing you to beat back pretty much any spinblocker.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:
Pros: Provides a ton of useful resistances, your STAB is very good for dishing out neutral damage.
Cons: Your STAB only hits other Dragons super-effectively, you are dealt with by two of the better types (Steel and Fairy), Dragon STAB has so-so distribution
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Typically runs Dragon Pulse for neutral coverage anyway, so extra damage on your coverage is appreciated.
Steel/Dragon typing is cool, and if you're running a special set, you're the only non-Dragon to get Draco Meteor.
Scarf sets can run Outrage to blast through opponents that don't fear Earthquake, like a stronger Garchomp.
Water/Dragon is a very good defensive typing, and you can fire off STAB Mega Launcher Dragon Pulses.
As a bulky phaser, Steelix would probably prefer Steel/Dragon to Steel/Ground, with STAB Dragon Tail making it better at its job.

Type-changing Megas:

:

:

:
Pros: You only have one innate weakness, it's easily covered by Flying types and Levitators.
Cons: Electric STAB can be tricky to find outside of Electric types, you also only have a few resistances.
STAB: Discharge, Thunder Fang, Thunder Punch, Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, Wild Charge
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Should be on every Electric team. Dragon/Electric is not only better defensively than Dragon/Ice, but you finally have physical non-Dragon STAB. Scary good.
One of the few Pokemon with access to good Electric STAB in Bolt Strike -- you have to give up your Fire STAB, though.
You not only provide Levitate to deal with Grounds, but you trade a situationally-useful Sludge Wave for Thunderbolt.
Fire/Electric leaves you very open to Ground types, but Reckless Flare Blitz + Wild Charge is a pretty deadly STAB combo.
Defensively, you trade some real resistances for a Ground weakness, but you also make great use of Discharge.

Type-changing Megas:
:
Pros: Fairy is an excellent defensive typing as well as an offensive one, many types already pair well with it.
Cons: STAB can be hard to find, you end up struggling against Steel, limited Reflector options.
STAB: Dazzling Gleam, Moonblast, Play Rough
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
A rare non-Fairy with both Play Rough and Moonblast, not to mention it has the kickass typing of Steel/Fairy.
Dark/Fairy is a cool typing with dual immunities and solid coverage in Knock Off and Play Rough.
You gain a more useful defensive typing as well as STAB on Moonblast, which Cresselia will often use anyway.
Water/Fairy is a cool defensive typing that might allow you to do your job as a spinner better, plus you get STAB Dazzling Gleam.
Play Rough/EQ is perfect neutral coverage, which may give you an edge over Excadrill.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:
Pros: Has a variety of strong STAB options, matches up pretty well against Steel teams.
Cons: Defensively less favorable than a lot of teams, most of your STAB moves have downsides (stat drops, low accuracy, etc.).
STAB: Aura Sphere, Brick Break, Close Combat, Cross Chop, Drain Punch, Focus Blast, Hammer Arm, Low Kick, Mach Punch, Superpower, Vacuum Wave
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Ghost/Fighting is perfect neutral coverage, though relying on Focus Blast accuracy is unfortunate.
Ditch that Ice typing for something that actually resists Rocks! You get Low Kick for STAB alongside the ever-reliable Knock Off.
While Ground/Fighting is fairly repetitive STAB, you have STAB No Guard Dynamic Punch with some perks of Machamp (like Stealth Rock).
While you face competition from other Fire/Fighting types, Flare Blitz/Close Combat/Extreme Speed + filler is a powerful combo.
Will STAB Contrary Superpower raise you from the depths of NU? Maybe not, but at the very least you weren't using that Psychic STAB anyway.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:
Pros: You have one of the best STAB types in the game, good matchup against Steel and Fairy teams.
Cons: You have a number of troubling weakness (Rock), good physical Fire STAB is hard to fine outside Fire types.
STAB: Fire Blast, Fire Fang, Fire Punch, Flamethrower, Heat Wave, Overheat
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Take on opposing Steels with Fire Blast/Flamethrower without being burdened with an SR weakness thanks to Magic Guard.
Has access to multiple Fire-type moves, the Houndoom-exclusive Dark/Fire typing and it is immune to Ground.
Provides an important Water immunity for Fire teams, while retaining strong Fire STAB.
Zard Y doesn't even use its Flying STAB, and hates its x4 Rock weakness. You can also provide Drought support.
Want a physical Heatran with recovery, a bit more Speed and a lot more hax? You know where to go.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:
Pros: Your STAB is very spammable, Ground types will never touch you.
Cons: Incredibly limited Reflector options, terrible STAB options outside of existing Flying types, team-wide Stealth Rock weakness, essentially necessitates the use of exiting Flying types like Talonflame to make full use of STAB combos.
STAB: Acrobatics, Aerial Ace, Air Slash, Bounce, Fly, Hurricane
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Not only do you have Skarmory's great defensive typing, but you have Bounce as a STAB option should you choose to use it.
Not SR-weak, and gets Technician-boosted Aerial Ace to use alongside its Fighting STAB.
Adaptability makes up for the low power of Aerial Ace, and Water/Flying is pretty good coverage.
Has to resort to HP Flying for STAB, but having Volt Absorb to negate your x4 weakness is really nice.
Probably not great, but STAB Hurricane may be useful -- at the very least, you're better other legal Grass/Flying types.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Adaptability Tri Attack + Shadow Ball is a powerful STAB combo that hits almost everything neutrally.
Hex + Toxic Spikes + Scald is a pretty good combo for spreading status and dealing damage, plus you have Jellicent's unique type.
You have the same weaknesses, with a Bug resist and Fighting immunity. STAB Shadow Ball is arguably better than Psyshock.
Not only do you get to ditch that unfortunate Dragon/Ice typing for Giratina's Dragon/Ghost, but you also get STAB Shadow Claw.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:
Pros: Wide range of STAB options, wide range of Reflectors, useful resistances to types like Water.
Cons: High number of weaknesses, Grass often combos poorly with other types.
STAB: Bullet Seed, Energy Ball, Giga Drain, Grass Knot, Leaf Blade, Power Whip, Seed Bomb, Wood Hammer
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Water/Grass is a sweet defensive typing, and STAB Giga Drain helps keep your health high.
You already use Grass Knot to cover Ground types like Hippowdon, so getting STAB on it is nice.
Not only should this have been its typing already, but it makes Flower Veil a functional ability and you get STAB Giga Drain/Energy Ball.
Bug/Grass is a bad typing, but Skill Link Bullet Seed is one of the most powerful STAB Grass attacks you can find.
Rock Head Wood Hammer is neat, as is a Grass type that's neutral to 3/5 of the type's weaknesses.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:

:

:
Pros: STAB is widely available for both damage types, you can easily shut down Electric teams, you can cover all your weaknesses.
Cons: Your STAB struggles against plentiful Levitators as well as Flying types.
STAB: Earth Power, Earthquake
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Looking for a budget Primal Groudon? Volcanion has the same typing with Water Absorb instead of Desolate Land.
Shaymin gets STAB Earth Power and is neutral to 2/3 of Ground's weaknesses (and x4 weak to the other but shush).
Sap Sipper provides a useful Grass immunity, plus you're Water-neutral and can utilize STAB Earthquake.
With DD/SD, Mold Breaker Earthquake and 147 Attack, you become offensive Garchomp on steroids.
With access to both Thick Fat and Sap Sipper, Miltank provides Stealth Rock, recovery and STAB EQ for your team.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:
Pros: Ice hits many prominent types super-effectively, Ice Beam and Ice Punch are found on a number of non-Ice types.
Cons: Defensive synergy is terrible, SR-weakness is aggravating, Reflector choices are limited, the Steel matchup is an uphill battle.
STAB: Avalanche, Blizzard, Ice Beam, Ice Fang, Ice Punch, Ice Shard, Icy Wind
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
You can serve as a much-needed SR-neutral Rapid Spin user, with Ice Shard to boot.
Magic Guard helps mitigate the team's Rock weakness, and Ice Beam is solid STAB.
Provides a Fighting immunity and a Ground immunity with out using the terrible Ice/Flying typing. Plus, Icy Wind.
You're SR-neutral and get STAB on Sheer Force Ice Punch -- the Fighting type helps against Steel teams, too.
Sheer Force STAB Ice Beam is solid special damage, plus Nidoking has a bunch of cool coverage like Flamethrower.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:

:
Pros: Your STAB options are plentiful and powerful, only adds one potential weakness.
Cons: Can't hit anything super-effectively, has to lean on other primary types for resistances, only worth using for STAB on stuff like BB/ES.
STAB: Body Slam, Boomburst, Double-Edge, Explosion, Extreme Speed, Facade, Fake Out, Hyper Voice, Quick Attack, Return, Self-Destruct, Tri Attack
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
STAB Boomburst (plus Fire/Fighting/Flying coverage and high Speed).
STAB Extreme Speed (plus DD, Ground/Fire coverage and Multiscale).
STAB Boomburst (plus Ground STAB to hit Rocks/Steels, Roost and Defog)
STAB Extreme Speed (plus SD and Fighting STAB to hit Rocks/Steels)
STAB Explosion! :o (plus Ground STAB, Intimidate and useful resistances)

Type-changing Megas:
:
Pros: Defensively deals with Fighting and Fairy types, STAB spreads status and is fairly well-distributed.
Cons: STAB has poor coverage on its own, no available Reflectors are even tiered as OU, struggles with Steel.
STAB: Clear Smog, Cross Poison, Gunk Shot, Poison Jab, Sludge Bomb, Sludge Wave
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Gunk Shot + Flare Blitz deals with most Steel types and can be boosted by SD or Band.
You gain most of the benefits of Amoongus, but you trade Spore for greater offensive pressure.
Poison Jab maintains your Fairy-killing abilities, but you reduce your number of weaknesses to one.
STAB Mold Breaker Earthquake deals with Steel teams fairly well, plus you have Poison Jab for Grass types.
With Scald and Sludge Bomb, you'll be able to spread status and then Recovery off damage.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:
Pros: STAB had decent distribution, you have variety in Reflector choices.
Cons: Deals poorly with Dark and Steel teams, lacks notable resistances outside of Fighting.
STAB: Extrasensory, Future Sight, Psychic, Psycho Cut, Psyshock, Stored Power, Zen Headbutt
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
While you'll miss your Ghost typing, Psychic/Dark is neutral to two of Psychic's weakness (you even have Psychic STAB).
Sheer Force Zen Headbutt + Flare Blitz is solid, especially for dealing with the Steel types your team hates.
Justified punishes Dark type spam, and you have STAB options for both SD and NP sets.
Raikou sometimes runs Extrasensory to hit targets like Venusaur, so getting STAB on it isn't bad.
Tinted Lens ensures that you can't be walled by Steels, while Bug STAB hits Dark types hard.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:

:

:
Pros: Unmatched defensive typing, handily deals with the also-good Fairy, your weaknesses can be covered with abilities/type immunities.
Cons: Your offensive STAB is so-so in both power and distribution, Fire/Ground/Fighting are popular offensive STAB options.
STAB: Bullet Punch, Flash Cannon, Gyro Ball, Heavy Slam, Iron Head, Iron Tail, Steel Wing
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Not only is Dragon/Steel a great defensive typing, but it's offensively solid as well -- Iron Head does damage at 170 Atk
Chesnaught basically becomes Ferrothorn with Synthesis recovery -- you even have low-Speed Gyro Ball.
While you'll miss STAB Earth Power, Sheer Force STAB Flash Cannon and a Heatran typing might be worth it.
You have Steel STAB options for both damage types, and Electric/Steel with Levitate mocks Ground moves.
Aegislash typing with recovery, Wisp and Leech Seed? Yes please. Gyro Ball hits decently hard as well.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:

:
Pros: Massive amount of Reflector choice, solid offensive and defensive options, only 2 weaknesses.
Cons: The best move (Scald) is mostly limited to existing Water types, STAB in general is hard to find.
STAB: Aqua Jet, Aqua Tail, Hydro Pump, Muddy Water, Scald, Surf, Waterfall
Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:
Dragon/Water is a great defensive typing for a Defogger or offensive Pokemon, and you're a rare no-Water Hydro Pump user.
Your type leaves you with one rare weakness, and STAB Aqua Tail supplements Earthquake well. An Electric resist is also useful.
STAB Scald is cool on defensive sets, or even on an offensive Nasty Plot set, making it a much faster/more varied Slowking.
Sap Sipper is a useful asset for your team, and you can utilize either Aqua Tail or Muddy Water for STAB.
Dragalge used to be a Water type, and it can be again! Adaptability Scald/Hydro Pump may be preferable to Draco Meteor.

Type-changing Megas:
:

:
Okay, first of all, this was an extremely helpful post. That said, however, it seems like for some of these you haven't made a team for, and since it would be hypocritical for me to talk about anything other than ghost in that, let's talk ghost.

Reflectors (OU/UU):

Possible Team Members:

Type-changing Megas:
:

:
One general issue I see here is the inclusion of MAudino. I would only take the megas from OU/UU as well as the setters, considering MAudino isn't remotely viable here. I do appreciate the inclusion of Kyubs here, as some people haven't realized that it gets shadow claw, but there are some 'mons way better than what is here right now. I already coevered the every-type Jirachi, but since you are obviously including megas in the team members section, MLopunny is by far the way to go. It can help a ton against Dark to not only be neutral with, but resist dark type. In a Ghost v. Ghost matchup, it can be a major boon. Also, it can switch in with the ever-useful (except v. Dark) Normal/Ghost typing and attack with the Normal/Fighting typing.

A poke that many haven't noticed works well on Ghost is Manaphy. It gets Jellicent's typing, as well as secondary STAB (yes, it does get Shadow Ball). It's not like it's a huge deal or the best teammate, it's just a significantly better version of an already good poke.

One other surprisingly useful mon is Raikou. The main reason for this is the secondary STAB that is often used even when not as STAB. It is worth noting that, although it gives a poor nature, raikou can learn Aura Sphere, and not only does Electric/Ghost have near-perfect neutral coverage (immune by Normal/Ground, resisted only by combonations of these: Dragon, Ground, Grass, Electric, Dark, Normal), but the addition of Fighting gives it not only the every one-type neutral coverage of Electric and Ghost AND Ghost and Fighting AND Electric and Fighting, but the combination.

Finally, saving the best for last here, I think your list of teammates can't be complete without Chansey. Chansey retains its lack of weaknesses (only one), while gaining 2 new immunities and 2 new resistances. It is also MLopunny bait, and here's a special set for you that can hurt HJK MLopunny.
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

I advise you to edit your post, or make a new one, because aside from a few flaws, your list is an invaluable resource, and it would be made better by it being an archive as well.

EDIT: Forgot to mention you didn't put Mega Blastoise in Fighting, but you did in Dark. Ut's even better in Fighting.

One general issue I see here is the inclusion of MAudino.
It looks as if this was just a list of megas that happen to resist that type. Some of them even resist that type in their base form too, which doesn't really make sense here. Also I was wondering whether the table, extensive though it already is, should also mention types and/or abilities that cover for weaknesses (for instance Poison reflectors could run a Dark and a Flying/Levitate to get around its weaknesses).

By including Pokemon on the list, it's literally just me saying "this gains something for this type." I kept it to five per type because I could go on forever, so it's not comprehensive. They're not the five best Pokemon for that type, and as I said at the start, I mostly included Pokemon that utilize new STAB, so stuff like Chansey was excluded. I can update the list, just don't take it as a complete guide -- that makes more sense on a per-type basis, rather

As for Mega Audino, I don't think it's viable on any type, but it provides resistances/immunities for that type, which is why it was included. I can add ability-based immunities, too -- I'll do it when I get home.

By including Pokemon on the list, it's literally just me saying "this gains something for this type." I kept it to five per type because I could go on forever, so it's not comprehensive. They're not the five best Pokemon for that type, and as I said at the start, I mostly included Pokemon that utilize new STAB, so stuff like Chansey was excluded. I can update the list, just don't take it as a complete guide -- that makes more sense on a per-type basis, rather

As for Mega Audino, I don't think it's viable on any type, but it provides resistances/immunities for that type, which is why it was included. I can add ability-based immunities, too -- I'll do it when I get home.
For Ghost, I would say Manaphy>Tenta on your list, as well as maybe Raikou>MGallade (for sole reason of MGallade being worse than MLopunny. Since you mentioned the per-type basis, I will make a guide for Ghost type.
On most Ghost teams. Okay secondary STAB, but overall a good 'mon.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid/Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Trick

An alternative if you really need a fire type.

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid/Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Pokes that benefit from this type.
Gains a new STAB, great neutral STAB coverage, and impecable typing.
Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf/Specs
Timid/Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Trick

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Agility
- Nasty Plot

Gains a second STAB and the awesome typing of Jellicent.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam/Rain Dance

Gains a second STAB and slightly better typing. Near-perfect neutral STAB coverage.
Raikou @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The reason to use this over Specs would be for Aura Sphere.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
Rash Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Aura Sphere

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect/Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Protect would be entirely for MLopunny (High Jump Kick variant).

There are many more with pretty standard sets with a couple changes. Here is the list.
Lati@s (Shadow Ball over Psyshock)
Jirachi (Same set you already use)
Kyurem-B (Shadow Claw over Ice Beam)
Tentacruel (Just add Hex)

Will add to this list if anyone has a suggestion.

Finally, the pokmon that will help a TON in mirror matches, matches vs. Dark, and to a lesser extent, matches vs. Steel:
Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Cute Charm -> Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch

This just deals with SO many threats. Make changes to this set as you wish.

Decided to bump this thread and wanted to see what everyone thinks about Stoutland.

Although Stoutland is a decent Pokemon on its own, I think it actually has a place to shine here. I used it on a Fairy-type Reflector team during the beginning of this meta, and it was very effective. Stoutland with a Fairy type gains STAB Play Rough. Sand Rush is also extremely easy to take advantage of due to the fact that Hippowdon, a sand-setter, gains the Ground-Fairy typing, which is a very good defensive typing. A set I used with Stoutland was Return/Play Rough/Superpower/Fire Fang, and it is really good.

Reactions: nv

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Ghoul King of all my experiences with ghost, I noticed that I always had trouble with Fairy Teams, especially since there are so few viable offensive steels that can run ghost to help with that matchup. Even then, I find Fairy teams to be a difficult matchup with offensive ghost. Your team is more balanced but still has a bigger issue with Fairy teams than it does with Dark ones. Dark teams aren't all that good tbh.

I've built a number of teams and let me say that Spikes absolutely RULES this metagame. Rapid Spin, while thought of as a non-factor before, is now pretty important for any non-HO team that wants to win consistently. There is a huge lack of flying types in this meta, mostly because you usually have to run Tornadus-T to have any flying types at all (if you run a flying team you're still probably running torn), and hazard control seems much more rare. The much higher frequency of grounded mons that don't appreciate chip damage makes spikes extremely effective. HO is a nice playstyle here as a result.

The aforementioned lack of flying types means that Ground teams are pretty beastly too. These teams have plenty of tools to beat uncommon grass teams, water teams, etc. that might give them issues. Donors are an issue, but Scarf Lan-t usually gets the job done for HO and there are things like Gliscor and Krookodile that are largely unexplored but could have nice utility (i'm interested to try the latter, the ladder seems pretty dark-weak). Digging into users, however, there are tons of them. Salamence and Dragonite seem too obvious but having what is essentially Garchomp with DD is nice for both. Mence can go mixed and intimidate/moxie are both nice, while Dnite has Extremespeed and Multiscale to help it set up. Choiced sets are nice as well; I used a scarfmence for a while and really enjoyed the results, and I'm sure Bandnite would be pretty good as well.

The post above mentions Shaymin as a Grass-type, but more notable to me is Serperior. STAB HP Ground is really shitty, but the extra power is nice against steel types, and most importantly, Serperior shits on water teams. It's high speed and power makes it really good against water in a matchup that's normally very bad for its team. Fast water-types with Ice Beam can be a problem, but most water teams favor bulk over power anyways. In that post, the mention of megas makes you think that you need one to survive those matchups, but in practice, you really don't. Mega Gyarados sounds like a big deal for the matchup with Water teams that often carry Ice coverage, but the reality is that it's usually not a big deal. I still run Mega Lopunny on one of my Ground Teams and ZardX on the other just because both are so good at what they do in the tier. You really don't need a Megados for those matchups. The aforementioned Serperior does well against water teams, as does Volcanion, which gains a psuedo Desolate Land typing with water absorb. Furthermore, Water/Ground Gyarados is a really cool sweeper against balanced teams as they usually want nothing to do with it, especially the cash Moxie set.

Anyways, it might be time to discuss a suspect on Mega Lopunny. I'm not saying it's broken, but it is the best mega on almost every team and single-handedly demolishes Steel teams without Skarmory alongside many other team types that can't run something bulky enough to handle it. Again, I wouldn't ban it, but I'm sure there are people who would want to and I'm interested to hear what they have to say.

Ghoul King of all my experiences with ghost, I noticed that I always had trouble with Fairy Teams, especially since there are so few viable offensive steels that can run ghost to help with that matchup. Even then, I find Fairy teams to be a difficult matchup with offensive ghost. Your team is more balanced but still has a bigger issue with Fairy teams than it does with Dark ones. Dark teams aren't all that good tbh.

I've built a number of teams and let me say that Spikes absolutely RULES this metagame. Rapid Spin, while thought of as a non-factor before, is now pretty important for any non-HO team that wants to win consistently. There is a huge lack of flying types in this meta, mostly because you usually have to run Tornadus-T to have any flying types at all (if you run a flying team you're still probably running torn), and hazard control seems much more rare. The much higher frequency of grounded mons that don't appreciate chip damage makes spikes extremely effective. HO is a nice playstyle here as a result.

The aforementioned lack of flying types means that Ground teams are pretty beastly too. These teams have plenty of tools to beat uncommon grass teams, water teams, etc. that might give them issues. Donors are an issue, but Scarf Lan-t usually gets the job done for HO and there are things like Gliscor and Krookodile that are largely unexplored but could have nice utility (i'm interested to try the latter, the ladder seems pretty dark-weak). Digging into users, however, there are tons of them. Salamence and Dragonite seem too obvious but having what is essentially Garchomp with DD is nice for both. Mence can go mixed and intimidate/moxie are both nice, while Dnite has Extremespeed and Multiscale to help it set up. Choiced sets are nice as well; I used a scarfmence for a while and really enjoyed the results, and I'm sure Bandnite would be pretty good as well.

The post above mentions Shaymin as a Grass-type, but more notable to me is Serperior. STAB HP Ground is really shitty, but the extra power is nice against steel types, and most importantly, Serperior shits on water teams. It's high speed and power makes it really good against water in a matchup that's normally very bad for its team. Fast water-types with Ice Beam can be a problem, but most water teams favor bulk over power anyways. In that post, the mention of megas makes you think that you need one to survive those matchups, but in practice, you really don't. Mega Gyarados sounds like a big deal for the matchup with Water teams that often carry Ice coverage, but the reality is that it's usually not a big deal. I still run Mega Lopunny on one of my Ground Teams and ZardX on the other just because both are so good at what they do in the tier. You really don't need a Megados for those matchups. The aforementioned Serperior does well against water teams, as does Volcanion, which gains a psuedo Desolate Land typing with water absorb. Furthermore, Water/Ground Gyarados is a really cool sweeper against balanced teams as they usually want nothing to do with it, especially the cash Moxie set.

Anyways, it might be time to discuss a suspect on Mega Lopunny. I'm not saying it's broken, but it is the best mega on almost every team and single-handedly demolishes Steel teams without Skarmory alongside many other team types that can't run something bulky enough to handle it. Again, I wouldn't ban it, but I'm sure there are people who would want to and I'm interested to hear what they have to say.
I'm just gonna talk about the Mega Lopunny thing. It is by no means the best on every team. The vast majority of Steel teams use Skarmory. In addition, regardless of MLopp, Steel remains the best thing in the meta, and one check might help balance it. Also, primary fighting and fire types are good v. steel. Should we suspect those?

Also, Mach Punch can do a ton against it, and so can many other priority moves. steel DNite w/ ESpeed? Works.

Mega Lopunny isn't overcentralizing or broken or anything like that. It's a great Pokemon, but that's more a commentary on the shape of the meta than on the power of Mega Lopunny. If anything, banning Mega Lopunny would seem like a hit to the meta's diversity, strengthening the already strong Ghost and Steel types. It doesn't 6-0 Steel teams or anything of the sort, either. The nastiest sets combine Power Up Punch with a Substitute to let it break through a lot of checks/counters, but those are slow to get going and can still be checked, even by a Steel team.

The only really problematic aspect of Dark teams for me is Dark Weezing, which I basically couldn't beat until I implemented Nasty Plot on Togekiss. Other than that... yeah, Dark teams can wreck me if I play poorly, but...

I consider Rapid Spin too risky of hazard management, as it's impossible or almost impossible to use it against Ghost teams, and Ghosts show up a lot even on non-Ghost teams. (Psychic being the only type Ghost is actively bad with, and I've never seen a Psychic team) Defog's unblockability is huge. That and there's not that many Rapid Spin Pokemon that are any good, anyway... and even fewer that can be fit readily onto various teams.

But yeah, Ground seems to be the single most popular type on the ladder nowadays, with Steel and Ghost lagging in second/third by a noticeable margin. Mold Breaker Excadrill as the lead has the advantage that most teams, if they have a Ground immunity at all, it's going to be Levitate. Haxorus on a Ground team is a goddamn nightmare if you're not a Flying team (Or Steel using Skarmory as its lead works), so much so that I'm worried it might need some kind of suspect -it's insanely difficult for most team types to actually stop after a single Dragon Dance, and a lot of tools you'd hope might work... don't. Unaware? Useless. Levitate Steel? Exploded. Prankster Status? If you've only got one, Lum Berry will see it through. It's bulky enough that it can be difficult to revenge with priority/in general, fast enough that after one Dragon Dance you need a faster Scarf (98+ base Speed) to outspeed it... Talonflame is not a usable revenger except on Flying teams or as a lead for Fire teams, as it loses a good third of its Gale Wings firepower. No Mega can be used as a reliable check to it, either -it's not like there's anything that Megas into being Fairy/Flying. (Which it would just Poison Jab to death anyway...)

Way scarier than Salamence or Dragonite, honestly.

I've read some of this and a Dark/Steel Maw sounds good. Also it has many good partners too. Like Sableye. Oh yeah and Doublade. Gets good Knock Off STAB and also is an offensive Ghost/Dark

Maw as in Mawile? That's a 50/85/85/55/55/50 statline there. It's very unimpressive in every respect, and unlike Klefki, it doesn't have the raw utility to back it up. Also, Doublade doesn't get Knock Off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)