Type Reflectors

I'd love to make a viability ranking for this meta, but problem is, this meta suffers the same syndrome of Monotype in the sense that "this mon is A+ rank in Steel but B rank in ground" for example. So idk how do you solve this problem of mon having different viability in different ranks.

As for viability types, here's what I thought. All of these is from what I thought and experienced.

S rank

Idk. No types are really much better than others, so I haven't decided on S ranks yet.

A rank
The most effective typing either offensively or defensively

B rank

-> People maybe argue this to A but imo this is not as good as those in A

C rank

-> This is actually pretty decent. Considering this to be B but decided on C instead because lack of decent donor
-> I've actually used this and found out this CAN be used pretty decently, better than D ranks at least
-> I've actually seen one of the top 10 players in ladder use this, and it's pretty good, but rest of the Dragon teams I saw sucked.
-> This is actually decent stalling type when combined with the right types. Have seen this and it's not bad

D rank

That should cover all of them. Those are just my opinion though, can greatly differ from another.
I might consider steel to be S rank, if anything is. More than any other type, its matchups can be an uphill battle for the other team simply because of a team wide resist. Heck, look at the next 4 types you have listed. Those are the counter teams to steel (normal by nature of megalop).

Fairy I would keep out of A purely due to the prevalence of steel teams. Psychic is another type that might fare well offensively if not fore being largely shutdown by steel and dark.

It is a shame that things like poison and grass have to settle with lowsy donors.

Last edited:
I'd love to make a viability ranking for this meta, but problem is, this meta suffers the same syndrome of Monotype in the sense that "this mon is A+ rank in Steel but B rank in ground" for example. So idk how do you solve this problem of mon having different viability in different ranks.
But more so! In Monotype the Pokemon's performance in a given situation is the same across two different team types, it's just that in context it's more or less appealing -that for instance Poison/Dark is a lot more useful to a Poison team than to a Dark team. They still counter the same things though.

In Type Reflectors individual Pokemon can entirely change what they have good matchups against... and this gets complicated by the fact that the opposing Pokemon change up, too. Scarf Gengar is a good revenger of Jirachi-the-Steel-team-lead, not so much if it's attached to a Dragon team or, well, anything not Psychic or Ghost, basically.

Speaking of viability what do you people think the ranking is for each typing?
I'd personally run it as...

S rank

Steel can cover pretty much all its flaws, and can do so with some pretty amazing Pokemon. The Latis fear only Mold Breaker Ground types, any number of Flashfire 'mons are a secondary Heatran (Or just run Heatran itself), and of course Ghost teammates are only concerned by Scrappy Fighting, out of traditional Steel weaknesses. Meanwhile you laugh at Stealth Rock, entirely ignore Toxic, and your entire team blanket checks large portions of most teams regardless of type.

Steel's only real flaw is that Steel is a somewhat sub-par attacking type, but that's not much of a flaw. Just rely on your other STABs.

A rank

Dark, Ghost, and Electric all provide a great combination of offensive strength/reliability and defensive capacity. Ghost's weakness to Ghost is easily covered by a Normal type, and its weakness to Dark can be covered by Mega Lopunny. (Or Mega Altaria, but Mega Lopunny is amazing) Dark doesn't need to specifically worry about its weakness to Bug -many teams have no Bug offense at all- and outside of Scrappy can handle its weakness to Fighting with Ghost, or it can run stuff like Weezing to have a great general wall with no weaknesses that covers Fighting that way, while its weakness to Fairy can basically be handled by running a good Steel type... such as Bisharp as team leader. Electric gets Tornadus and Levitators, of course, and Boltbeam is still a great attacking combination.

B rank

Good Water moves are uncommon outside of actual Water types. Scald in particular is extremely rare. If you want a decent defensive type with little offensive support, just go for Steel. Nonetheless, there are some decent Water teams I've seen...
Earthquake is on so many Pokemon, and Ground is a fantastic attacking type and decent defensive type. Universally laughing at Stealth Rock is nothing to sneeze at.
I haven't actually seen more than one Fighting team, but I'd expect Fighting to be at least decent. Just the fact that Fighting moves are widely available, at least Physically, gives it a lot of options.
Fairy is great, and Steel types make it trivial to cover your Poison weakness. As such, only Steel offense is a consistent threat... but Steel is amazing, and Fairy can struggle to output real damage. Moon Blast and to a lesser extent Play Rough are uncommon off of actual Fairy types, which can make it difficult to keep damage output up.
I've only seen like one Fire team, but it was pretty good. Fire definitely has flaws, but the Rock weakness is the only one you can't patch with an Ability-based immunity... and you can patch it with Megas, such as Mega Lopunny. Fire moves are fairly widespread, giving you a lot of options for good attackers.

C rank

I've only seen Dragon of these (And only a handful of times), but I have difficulty imagining any of them being "no seriously don't use this ever" like with the ones under D. Even Grass can create some fairly useful defensive combinations and some fairly good offensive ones too -every type that resists Fire is weak to Grass, for instance, so Fire/Grass is both a nice defensive type and a very reliable offensive type, bar Abilities.

D rank

Hideously powerful STABs isn't worth much when the best teams are probably running at least one immunity and/or multiple resists. Also, you can't be super effective: Drain Punch is hitting harder than 140 BP Facade against stuff like Dark/Dragons, all else being equal. The only particularly great defensive combination is Normal/Ghost, and frankly you're better off coming from the other angle -there are more great Normal walls than there are great Ghost walls.
Except U-Turn, Bug moves are fairly difficult to find outside of actual Bugs, and Bug isn't a fantastic defensive type.
Haven't actually seen it. Defensively a wonky type, offensively fantastic if you're fine with missing a lot. Might make more sense in C.
Defensively, Psychic is bad Ghost, bar Scrappy. Offensively, its only advantage over Fairy is hitting Poison effectively. Hard to argue for it either way.
Too flawed defensively, not strong enough offensively to be worth the defensive issues.

But more so! In Monotype the Pokemon's performance in a given situation is the same across two different team types, it's just that in context it's more or less appealing -that for instance Poison/Dark is a lot more useful to a Poison team than to a Dark team. They still counter the same things though.

In Type Reflectors individual Pokemon can entirely change what they have good matchups against... and this gets complicated by the fact that the opposing Pokemon change up, too. Scarf Gengar is a good revenger of Jirachi-the-Steel-team-lead, not so much if it's attached to a Dragon team or, well, anything not Psychic or Ghost, basically.

S rank

Steel can cover pretty much all its flaws, and can do so with some pretty amazing Pokemon. The Latis fear only Mold Breaker Ground types, any number of Flashfire 'mons are a secondary Heatran (Or just run Heatran itself), and of course Ghost teammates are only concerned by Scrappy Fighting, out of traditional Steel weaknesses. Meanwhile you laugh at Stealth Rock, entirely ignore Toxic, and your entire team blanket checks large portions of most teams regardless of type.

Steel's only real flaw is that Steel is a somewhat sub-par attacking type, but that's not much of a flaw. Just rely on your other STABs.

A rank

Dark, Ghost, and Electric all provide a great combination of offensive strength/reliability and defensive capacity. Ghost's weakness to Ghost is easily covered by a Normal type, and its weakness to Dark can be covered by Mega Lopunny. (Or Mega Altaria, but Mega Lopunny is amazing) Dark doesn't need to specifically worry about its weakness to Bug -many teams have no Bug offense at all- and outside of Scrappy can handle its weakness to Fighting with Ghost, or it can run stuff like Weezing to have a great general wall with no weaknesses that covers Fighting that way, while its weakness to Fairy can basically be handled by running a good Steel type... such as Bisharp as team leader. Electric gets Tornadus and Levitators, of course, and Boltbeam is still a great attacking combination.

B rank

Good Water moves are uncommon outside of actual Water types. Scald in particular is extremely rare. If you want a decent defensive type with little offensive support, just go for Steel. Nonetheless, there are some decent Water teams I've seen...
Earthquake is on so many Pokemon, and Ground is a fantastic attacking type and decent defensive type. Universally laughing at Stealth Rock is nothing to sneeze at.
I haven't actually seen more than one Fighting team, but I'd expect Fighting to be at least decent. Just the fact that Fighting moves are widely available, at least Physically, gives it a lot of options.
Fairy is great, and Steel types make it trivial to cover your Poison weakness. As such, only Steel offense is a consistent threat... but Steel is amazing, and Fairy can struggle to output real damage. Moon Blast and to a lesser extent Play Rough are uncommon off of actual Fairy types, which can make it difficult to keep damage output up.
I've only seen like one Fire team, but it was pretty good. Fire definitely has flaws, but the Rock weakness is the only one you can't patch with an Ability-based immunity... and you can patch it with Megas, such as Mega Lopunny. Fire moves are fairly widespread, giving you a lot of options for good attackers.

C rank

I've only seen Dragon of these (And only a handful of times), but I have difficulty imagining any of them being "no seriously don't use this ever" like with the ones under D. Even Grass can create some fairly useful defensive combinations and some fairly good offensive ones too -every type that resists Fire is weak to Grass, for instance, so Fire/Grass is both a nice defensive type and a very reliable offensive type, bar Abilities.

D rank

Hideously powerful STABs isn't worth much when the best teams are probably running at least one immunity and/or multiple resists. Also, you can't be super effective: Drain Punch is hitting harder than 140 BP Facade against stuff like Dark/Dragons, all else being equal. The only particularly great defensive combination is Normal/Ghost, and frankly you're better off coming from the other angle -there are more great Normal walls than there are great Ghost walls.
Except U-Turn, Bug moves are fairly difficult to find outside of actual Bugs, and Bug isn't a fantastic defensive type.
Haven't actually seen it. Defensively a wonky type, offensively fantastic if you're fine with missing a lot. Might make more sense in C.
Defensively, Psychic is bad Ghost, bar Scrappy. Offensively, its only advantage over Fairy is hitting Poison effectively. Hard to argue for it either way.
Too flawed defensively, not strong enough offensively to be worth the defensive issues.
I'd put Normal in C just because while it doesn't add much, it doesn't subtract much either. It also combines very nicely with the fairy and psychic types, which means that it at least isn't restricted to Gar+Cof. Every mon gets return, too, so at least they have stab.

As for fairy, I would really support A. While the matchup vs steel is saddening, this is easily worked around by things like Manaphy (who gets dazzling gleam), and fairy steel is just godly on things like Jirachi. There are also a bunch of pokemon who don't mind, like Lando-T, and amazing leaders like Clefable. Yes, the matchup vs steel sucks, butits good against dark/fighting (great reflector rypes), and dragon, a great type to get reflected onto.

I'd put Normal in C just because while it doesn't add much, it doesn't subtract much either. It also combines very nicely with the fairy and psychic types, which means that it at least isn't restricted to Gar+Cof. Every mon gets return, too, so at least they have stab.

As for fairy, I would really support A. While the matchup vs steel is saddening, this is easily worked around by things like Manaphy (who gets dazzling gleam), and fairy steel is just godly on things like Jirachi. There are also a bunch of pokemon who don't mind, like Lando-T, and amazing leaders like Clefable. Yes, the matchup vs steel sucks, butits good against dark/fighting (great reflector rypes), and dragon, a great type to get reflected onto.
If we ignore the steel matchup (which is a big negative for fairy), fairy still has important points that prevent it from bring A, IMO.

1. No diversity in donors. Clefable and Togekiss are the only real viable options, and while they themselves are great donors, especially clefable, you are stuck with the roles they fill.
  2. Awful distribution of play rough. For physical offense, there is very little that gains STAB on playrough. I've had the most success with mega-absol and donphan, though both feel underwhelming. This leaves fairy teams with some difficulty of breaking the physical walls of the meta. I suppose you can fall back on azumarill here.
The rarity of poison teams is certainly appreciated, but with how common and strong steel tbeams are, it is tough for fairy. The one "I win" matchup against dragon teams isn't very common, and dark and fighting teams generally have a way of breaking through.

I made some edits to my water team.

=== [typereflector] Untitled 2 ===

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Muddy Water

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Dragon Pulse
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Whirlwind
- Defog
- Spikes
- Iron Head

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

If we ignore the steel matchup (which is a big negative for fairy), fairy still has important points that prevent it from bring A, IMO.

1. No diversity in donors. Clefable and Togekiss are the only real viable options, and while they themselves are great donors, especially clefable, you are stuck with the roles they fill.
  2. Awful distribution of play rough. For physical offense, there is very little that gains STAB on playrough. I've had the most success with mega-absol and donphan, though both feel underwhelming. This leaves fairy teams with some difficulty of breaking the physical walls of the meta. I suppose you can fall back on azumarill here.
The rarity of poison teams is certainly appreciated, but with how common and strong steel tbeams are, it is tough for fairy. The one "I win" matchup against dragon teams isn't very common, and dark and fighting teams generally have a way of breaking through.
1. Well, there is also Sylveon, and Clefable is just so good that it makes up for any lack of donors.
2. There is also Jirachi, which has a sick typing and doubles the attack drop chance, and Donphan has excellent coverage. That's 3 right there, plus Azumaril- more than enough for physical fairy spam. There is also technically Dragalge (75 attack is terrible, but adaptability and that typing).

Its also my experience that, simply speaking, they don't. Fighting and steel is nice for the rock resist, but has mediocre coverage and still fails to hit fairy steels, while fighting poison is even worse off.
Dark pairs well with poison, which can be a challenge, but then yourun into the fact that jitachi just 6-0's. In order to be a threat, they have to run like Maggron to really pose a challenge.

Steel is a major threat, though, and it honestly turns it from being far and away the best A-rank to the worst of them, but I still think its just to good for B rank.

Look at this. Just look at it.

CHECK ME OUT (Volcanion) @ Whatever
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA and Whatever you want
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast

- Steam Eruption
- Whatever

Hmm lets see, I'll take 1 weakness for $200, Alex. There goes that 4x weakness to water, and it's no longer weak to rocks. Also seems like there's a bug where this doesn't take stealth rock damage. So yeah..

Other stuff.

Instant win against Electric teams:

gg no re (Haxorus) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Poison Jab

Last edited:
One of Normal's (many) problems is that Steel type teammates are extremely questionable, thanks to their tremendous vulnerability to Fighting. This basically takes one of the staple Physical walls/hazard managers off the table right there (Skarmory), and there isn't really anything that both goes well on Normal and comes close to making up the lack. Similarly, Normal ironically has one of the worst Chansey of the tier, as Ghost, Fairy, Flying, Poison, and if for some reason you're running Psychic, Psychic Chansey are all amazing, and other typings (eg Dragon, Water) mostly don't hurt it too much.

This means Normal's capacity to produce good stallmons is far inferior to several other types. Meanwhile, your only offensive benefit is high BP STABs that have to face an immunity and being resisted by Rock and Steel -with Steel being found on basically every team- and you can never be super effective. Scrappy 'mons are, again, far better off being run on other teams -a Normal team running multiple Scrappy 'mons is a Normal team that isn't really taking full advantage of the Normal typing. A Ghost team will take better advantage of the likes of Kangaskhan and Mega Lopunny.

Meanwhile, only some Ghosts are really particularly amazing on a Normal team, and, again, Ghosts running Normal 'mons tends to produce better walls than Normal running Ghosts -it doesn't help that Sableye is Dark/Ghost rather than Ghost/Dark, as it's one of a handful of Ghosts with actually reliable recovery. Ghost running Normal also tends to produce better attackers than Normal running Ghost -I'm sorry, there isn't any Ghost in the tier that comes close to Ghost Porygon-Z's potential as a Special attacker, and, again, there's far more benefit for a Ghost team to run secondary Scrappies than there is for a Normal team to do so.

So no, Normal doesn't "subtract much" to a given Pokemon on the team, but we're talking about the team's overall performance, and Normal teams are decidedly lackluster. 90% of the really cool things Normal can do are done about as well or better by Ghost, and Normal is severely handicapped in its ability to get good walls, compared to... pretty much any typing that I didn't also put down in D, and even some of them. (Rock has some really cool potential walls, for example) Normal also doesn't combine well with much of anything except, specifically, Fighting, and only if you assume Scrappy, in terms of providing good offensive coverage. Other teams can create multiple different powerful offensive coverage combinations -Electric can go for boltbeam, Dark and Fighting can go for Dark/Fighting and then add in a Poison or Steel type somewhere for Fairies... Normal is just leaning on its Normal STABs being strong, and they're far too easily walled for that to particularly impress, even before you hit the "basically auto-lose to Ghost and Steel teams".

... a Steel team is not going to be impressed by Manaphy. They want one or more Water resists anyway, since Water is a pseudo-counter by being one of a handful of types Steel doesn't resist, and... well.

+6 252 SpA Manaphy (Fairy) Dazzling Gleam vs. +2 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias (Steel): 153-181 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

This isn't even Specially Defensive Mega Latias or anything, it's just bulky Calm Mind. If you're Scald/Energy Ball/Ice Beam instead of subbing in Dazzling Gleam somewhere -and Scald/Energy Ball/Ice Beam is much better coverage than any possibility that includes Dazzling Gleam!- then at +1 Mega Latias can ignore +6 Manaphy's attacks on raw damage thanks to Roost, giving it time to put up more Calm Minds. Of course, Manaphy can potentially Burn it, Freeze it, or lower its Special Defense on a hit, but if luck doesn't notably favor Manaphy, it's not going to help (After 2-3 Calm Minds a Burn's damage output is just not enough of a help, especially since the Mega Lati will just finish you off if it's feeling threatened), and you're certainly not going to switch Manaphy into Mega Latias with an expectation of victory.

This isn't random theory-monning on my part -the Mega Latis are common on Steel teams.

1. Well, there is also Sylveon, and Clefable is just so good that it makes up for any lack of donors.
2. There is also Jirachi, which has a sick typing and doubles the attack drop chance, and Donphan has excellent coverage. That's 3 right there, plus Azumaril- more than enough for physical fairy spam. There is also technically Dragalge (75 attack is terrible, but adaptability and that typing).
If you're using Donphan as an attacking sweeper sort, you're probably doing something wrong. If you must use a slow, bulky, reasonably hard-hitting 'mon, Guts Ursaring is probably better, unless you really want that Ice Shard priority. Quick Feet Ursaring can also let you have an actually fast Physical attacker, and either way Facade+Play Rough only really requires anti-Steel coverage to be fairly consistent -and Ursaring has both Close Combat and Earthquake. Or it can run Fire Punch to deal with stuff like onmodified Skarmory.

Jirachi is decent on Fairy teams of course, but it's generally sub-optimal to use it as a direct sweeper. It functions much better as a supporting 'mon, spreading status, soaking hits, and wearing down threats. In particular, Power Up Punch is its only way to boost its Attack, and 100 Attack is okay but not great. Furthermore, as it's one of the very rare non-Fairy Pokemon to get Moon Blast and it has, you know, Calm Mind, a Fairy team would probably much rather have it run as a Special sweeper, where its performance is outright amazing, rather than merely one of the better choices out of a list of bad ones.

Its also my experience that, simply speaking, they don't. Fighting and steel is nice for the rock resist, but has mediocre coverage and still fails to hit fairy steels, while fighting poison is even worse off.
Dark pairs well with poison, which can be a challenge, but then yourun into the fact that jitachi just 6-0's. In order to be a threat, they have to run like Maggron to really pose a challenge.

Steel is a major threat, though, and it honestly turns it from being far and away the best A-rank to the worst of them, but I still think its just to good for B rank.
Dark and Fighting pretty much always have Ground coverage of some sort somewhere on the team. Jirachi does not 6-0 either of them, and indeed it's a good rule of thumb on any non-Steel team that Ground and Fire coverage are a must for dealing with Fairies, since Fairy/Steel is so popular on both Steel and Fairy teams.

I believe it's worth mentioning that Scarf Excadrill absolutely shits on Steel teams. Mold Breaker EQ destroys basically all common mons, and the only immunities are Tornadus (uncommon on Steel), Noivern (uncommon on Steel), and first-mon Skarmory.

Also, I'm completely split on whether Pursuit trappers are any good this meta. On one hand, they can destroy all Dark-weak teams (basically just Ghost), but on the other hand, most mons that Pursuit would work on lost their Dark-weak typing when in a non-lead position. For example, Bisharp is hardly a Lati check anymore.

I believe it's worth mentioning that Scarf Excadrill absolutely shits on Steel teams. Mold Breaker EQ destroys basically all common mons, and the only immunities are Tornadus (uncommon on Steel), Noivern (uncommon on Steel), and first-mon Skarmory.

Also, I'm completely split on whether Pursuit trappers are any good this meta. On one hand, they can destroy all Dark-weak teams (basically just Ghost), but on the other hand, most mons that Pursuit would work on lost their Dark-weak typing when in a non-lead position. For example, Bisharp is hardly a Lati check anymore.
I'd argue that you should put Pursuit on your team if it's weak to Ghost and/or Psychic teams, but not otherwise -- pretty simple really. Hazard-stacking Ghost builds will probably already run Bisharp for its typing + Defiant, and slapping Pursuit on it is a no-brainer. Fighting teams, which lose their STABs against Ghost and are hard-pressed to defend against Psychics, could also benefit from carrying a Pursuit trapper. Otherwise, it depends more on what teams yours in particular has trouble with, rather than what type you happen to be reflecting.

S rank

A rank

B rank

C rank

D rank

Hello, I've waited played enough games in this new OM to talk about this,
I'm not agree with Dragon, Psychic Ghost, Dark and Normal types.

Dragon: It's probably one of the easiest types to play in this Metagame: The synergy between Dragon types are very good and can cover all types in this metagame.
Jirachi T-Wave/Iron Head can deal with all fairies and Ice type. In addition of that some Pokemon like M-Blastoise, M-Charizard Y, Serperior and Landorus-T are good as Offensive presences.
In my opinion, this type deserves at least the A Rank.

Psychic Type: This type doesn't benefit a lot new Double types but "regular monotype" is the strongest type because it could cover a lot. I'm not saying it works in this meta (from the few psychic teams I've seen and played) but you can deal with some types. → C Rank.

Ghost type: I don't know if just use Normal/Ghost as justification is a synonym of top type. I've to Admet that Kyu-B Sub/Roost/Shadow Claw/Dragon Claw is very powerful as PorygonZ but you can deal with this type without big issues as can give you Steel, Electric, Normal and Dragon. → B Rank.

Dark Type: The issue here is once your Fighting/Fairy check is dead, you're sweep by a Fairy type. Weezing is a good thing in this type, as Gengar or every Knock Off Stab but it isn't enough strong to be in top types. In my opinion, it just deserves B rank.

Normal Type: You've said that powerful STAB is good, so I don't understand why you said even with that it's a D rank.
3 things:
- M-Lopunny as Leader (To give you the Scrappy thing you need to hit and 0HKO many Pokemon.
- Extreme-Speed Spam: Entei, Lucario (SD), Dragonite (band or Weakness Policy), Arcanine are Pokemon who can abuse this STAB move. By example, Dnite band is able to end a team alone with only Espeed. Nothing can deal with it if you don't have your counter for it (Just remember the band is used with Outrage, EQ, Fire Punch, Espeed, this moveset is able to hit every type).
- Noivern Boomburst Specs: The only reason why Exploud is only RU is because it's slow. In contrast with Noivern, the Choice Specs Set outspeed almost the metagame (and 0HKO many Pokemon).
What about Fighting team? → Togekiss Fairy/Normal is enough if well used to counter many Fighting Pokemon.
Normal is a very good type who can handle every types, that's why I think it's A rank.

I don't want make a post without share some sets I've created (Even if I've seen some similar in this threat)

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch

Weaknesses: Fighting, Fire, Ground
Resistances: Bug, Dragon, Electric, Fairy, Flying, Grass, Ice, Normal, Psychic, Rock, Steel
Immunities: Poison
→ It's a nice type, the x4 to Ground can be deal with all Levitate (Gengar, Rotoms) and flying (Zapdos) Pokemon, so, it isn't a big issue.
The good thing here is M-Gross outspeeds a lot of Dragon and can 0HKO them with Ice Punch or even some Ground Pokemon, that's why I like using it in my Electric team: Fast and Powerful.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Weaknesses: Ground, Rock, Water
Resistances: Bug, Electric, Fairy, Fire, Flying, Grass, Ice, Steel
Immunities: None
→ The double type is good but I use it mainly for its STAB Flamethrower, Overheat move.
As Steel is became the most common type here, play M-Manectric in Fire type is a good thing, except Dragon/Steel type, it can deal with others and even Chandelure Steel/Ghost Flash Fire.

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Weaknesses: Fighting, Fire, Grass, Steel, Water
Resistances: Poison
Immunities: Electric
→ Double type looks bad like this but I use Glalie-M in my ground team to be able to deal with Dragon easily. All Dragon except Latias/Latios (Levitate) may be killed by this thing.
People will say "Why do you use it while you've Mamoswine?" → Frustration (M-Glalie) does more damage than Icicle Crash Life Orb (From Mamoswine) and Freeze dry is better on Glalie-M. In addition Glalie-M is faster.

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Weaknesses: Electric, Fighting, Grass
Resistances: Fire, Ice, Steel, Water
Immunities: Ghost
→ The only reason I play it in my Water team is for its ability Sap Sipper, nice double types: 2 weaknesses for 4 resistances and 2 immunities, I think it's a really decent Pokemon even if it will be useless against some Pokemon (Ghost/Levitation).

Porygon-Z @ Leftovers
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 194 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Agility

Weaknesses: Dark
Resistances: Bug, Poison
Immunities: Fighting, Ghost, Normal
→ A good sweeper (The Specs set is more powerful and offensive that this one (with Thunderbolt and Icebeam instead Nasty Plot and Agility).

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse

Weaknesses: Dragon, Fairy
Resistances: Fire, Steel, Water
→ Looks bad with the double type but it can stall most Special sweepers (Gengar is one example) except Fairy/Dragon. I especially play it for that role and as Pivot.

Well, I've many others sets to share but I will stop with the last one.

In my experience Tornadus-Therian is quite common on Steel. Skarmory is a common leader... but Mega Metagross is also a common leader, so Mega Metagross teams that fail to bring along Tornadus-Therian, yeah, Scarf Excadrill is probably a nightmarish problem for them. (Noivern is probably not on the team to act as a damage sponge, or really, it's probably not on the team at all)

I've been running a Ghost team, and Pursuit trapping has rarely been an issue. Most of my Pokemon just don't have such poor Defense that they end up in an auto-die situation -they can stay in and shrug off a 40 BP Pursuit and retaliate, often lethally, even against very powerful Pursuit abusers like Banded Weavile.

There's probably still use to Pursuit for dealing with fleeing, weakened enemy Pokemon, especially Regenerators and Prankster healers that might otherwise easily come back healthy, but it's actually not that useful against a Ghost team per se. Usually the leader will still be quite vulnerable -Gengar, for instance- but this isn't Gods and Followers, so that's not an amazing utility.

Dragon: It's probably one of the easiest types to play in this Metagame: The synergy between Dragon types are very good and can cover all types in this metagame.
Jirachi T-Wave/Iron Head can deal with all fairies and Ice type. In addition of that some Pokemon like M-Blastoise, M-Charizard Y, Serperior and Landorus-T are good as Offensive presences.
In my opinion, this type deserves at least the A Rank.
Dragon Pokemon include a lot of amazing individuals, and the type is pretty good defensively, but the type itself adds little to most Pokemon offensively. Said amazing Dragons are liable to put in more work over in other teams -Ground or Water or Steel Haxorus is a lot more appealing than pure Dragon Haxorus.

Psychic Type: This type doesn't benefit a lot new Double types but "regular monotype" is the strongest type because it could cover a lot. I'm not saying it works in this meta (from the few psychic teams I've seen and played) but you can deal with some types. → C Rank.
I've got it down in D both because I've never seen it run by anyone and because there's very little advantage to running it compared to running Ghost or Fairy. STAB Psyshock on the small pool of Pokemon that get it without being Psychic types is one of the only advantages it brings, and it's not much of one.

Ghost type: I don't know if just use Normal/Ghost as justification is a synonym of top type. I've to Admet that Kyu-B Sub/Roost/Shadow Claw/Dragon Claw is very powerful as PorygonZ but you can deal with this type without big issues as can give you Steel, Electric, Normal and Dragon. → B Rank.
No, I've got Ghost up in A because it's an excellent attacking type that is very difficult to meaningfully wall, it's a great defensive type that can cover all its weaknesses fairly effectively, has wonderful synergy all-around with Mega Lopunny which is, itself, a great 'mon in the meta, and it has good options to fill pretty much every role, including having probably the best Chansey in the tier. The only type Ghost is specifically bad with is Psychic, which means Ghost has an incredible range of diversity in picking Pokemon while not having to take on horrible double weaknesses of the like, and it's surprising how many of the good Psychic Pokemon aren't primary Psychic. (eg Slowbro, Jirachi)

The Normal/Ghost thing is nice, but not anything to overly lean on, since Dark is still a problem for the team, and offensively you end up walled by... Normal/Ghost.

Dark Type: The issue here is once your Fighting/Fairy check is dead, you're sweep by a Fairy type. Weezing is a good thing in this type, as Gengar or every Knock Off Stab but it isn't enough strong to be in top types. In my opinion, it just deserves B rank.
I've been experimenting with a Dark team myself and found that it's problematic to get good Pokemon for filling key roles. Most notably, there's almost no non-Dark Pokemon that get Dark Pulse, and even fewer of the ones that get it are competent with it. (Did you know Skarmory has Dark Pulse? Do you care?) Getting a strong, consistent Fairy check has also proved problematic. Mega Aggron is obviously good against Physical Fairy, but most relevant Fairy threats (Mostly: Clefable, Togekiss) are Special and have relevance coverage, so that's not ideal. Mega options that are anti-Fairy are difficult to find in practice, and while Dark/Poison is a great combination defensively, it doesn't help against Steel/Fairy, which is also great. Dark/Steel is more sub-optimal a combination...

I'd probably drop it down to B, yeah.

Normal Type: You've said that powerful STAB is good, so I don't understand why you said even with that it's a D rank.
3 things:
- M-Lopunny as Leader (To give you the Scrappy thing you need to hit and 0HKO many Pokemon.
- Extreme-Speed Spam: Entei, Lucario (SD), Dragonite (band or Weakness Policy), Arcanine are Pokemon who can abuse this STAB move. By example, Dnite band is able to end a team alone with only Espeed. Nothing can deal with it if you don't have your counter for it (Just remember the band is used with Outrage, EQ, Fire Punch, Espeed, this moveset is able to hit every type).
- Noivern Boomburst Specs: The only reason why Exploud is only RU is because it's slow. In contrast with Noivern, the Choice Specs Set outspeed almost the metagame (and 0HKO many Pokemon).
What about Fighting team? → Togekiss Fairy/Normal is enough if well used to counter many Fighting Pokemon.
Normal is a very good type who can handle every types, that's why I think it's A rank.
Extreme Speed is only especially powerful against straight offense, and even against it is imperfect -I showed off earlier that Banded Normal type Dragonite has only a 6.3% chance of getting a OHKO on Mega Lopunny, which is a fairly fragile Pokemon, when this is the strongest first-turn Extreme Speed possible. Ghosts show up on tons of teams -note that Psychic is the only type Ghost is actively bad with, and Gengar in particular is hugely popular as an attacker or stallbreaker- and will wall your Extreme Speed abusers effortlessly, even if they're pathetically fragile, often trivializing revenging or walling Extreme Speeders. If Extreme Speed's +2 priority isn't making a difference, then Extreme Speed is just an 80 BP move with no side effect, which is the lower end of acceptably powerful moves.

Noivern's Boomburst is strong, but not break-Chansey-effortlessly strong. Noivern will also consistently struggle against, for instance, a Steel Mega Lati, which can switch into Trick-Choice fearlessly and completely laugh at all of Noivern's attacking moves, so even Trick-Choice isn't actually all that great. It's also Normal's only truly notably Special attacker -a team with two decent Special walls is very possibly a team Normal Noivern isn't contributing much against, even with Trick-Choice.

Mega Lopunny is basically something you're forced to run on your Normal team if you want your Normal team to not struggle enormously against Ghosts. That's not a point in Normal's favor -it means you basically can't even consider useful Megas like Mega Altaria because your problems against Ghosts will be too much otherwise, limiting a Normal team's options. This is one of several ways Normal teams are fairly narrow in their good options, and the small pool of strong STAB Normal moves it gets to try to spam just aren't strong enough to overcome that lack of diversity.

It's tempting to expect Normal to be very powerful because so many other metas have had insanely powerful attackers abusing Normal moves, but this is usually either in the context of -ate Abilities (Which both change the type to something actually good and add 30% more power to the move) or in the context of getting to combine Normal's insane boosting moves with its powerful attacking moves. (eg in STABmons combining Shell Smash with Boomburst and Extreme Speed) In Type Reflector, you're just getting to add an okay defensive type -one that combines poorly with the best defensive type in the game!- and add 50% power to one, maybe two moves, while still being stuck with an awful attacking type on said boosted moves.

Powerful Normal moves only start getting useful once you've cleared away key checks -Ghost and/or Steel Pokemon on the team- and against a Ghost or Steel team... that means never getting use out of your moves. And since Normal isn't all that useful a defensive add, you've got nearly no edge against such teams.

Last edited:
One of Normal's (many) problems is that Steel type teammates are extremely questionable, thanks to their tremendous vulnerability to Fighting. This basically takes one of the staple Physical walls/hazard managers off the table right there (Skarmory), and there isn't really anything that both goes well on Normal and comes close to making up the lack. Similarly, Normal ironically has one of the worst Chansey of the tier, as Ghost, Fairy, Flying, Poison, and if for some reason you're running Psychic, Psychic Chansey are all amazing, and other typings (eg Dragon, Water) mostly don't hurt it too much.
Is it really the worst, though? Flying type chansey seems pretty horrid, as SR weakness isn't very useful. Heck, any type not named ghost, fairy, or psychic seems to outright hurt it. CHansey works well because it has great bulk and only one weakness to be potentially exploited, not its amazing defensive resistances.

This means Normal's capacity to produce good stallmons is far inferior to several other types. Meanwhile, your only offensive benefit is high BP STABs that have to face an immunity and being resisted by Rock and Steel -with Steel being found on basically every team- and you can never be super effective. Scrappy 'mons are, again, far better off being run on other teams -a Normal team running multiple Scrappy 'mons is a Normal team that isn't really taking full advantage of the Normal typing. A Ghost team will take better advantage of the likes of Kangaskhan and Mega Lopunny.
As far as this goes, however, that's probably true. Still, normal Clefable is pretty much completely superior to plain fairy, and the same can be said for Cresselia. Norma; mostly lacks variety of options on a stall team, not in the quality of the options.
As for scrappy thing, Pangoro is another option.

... a Steel team is not going to be impressed by Manaphy. They want one or more Water resists anyway, since Water is a pseudo-counter by being one of a handful of types Steel doesn't resist, and... well.

+6 252 SpA Manaphy (Fairy) Dazzling Gleam vs. +2 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias (Steel): 153-181 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

This isn't even Specially Defensive Mega Latias or anything, it's just bulky Calm Mind. If you're Scald/Energy Ball/Ice Beam instead of subbing in Dazzling Gleam somewhere -and Scald/Energy Ball/Ice Beam is much better coverage than any possibility that includes Dazzling Gleam!- then at +1 Mega Latias can ignore +6 Manaphy's attacks on raw damage thanks to Roost, giving it time to put up more Calm Minds. Of course, Manaphy can potentially Burn it, Freeze it, or lower its Special Defense on a hit, but if luck doesn't notably favor Manaphy, it's not going to help (After 2-3 Calm Minds a Burn's damage output is just not enough of a help, especially since the Mega Lati will just finish you off if it's feeling threatened), and you're certainly not going to switch Manaphy into Mega Latias with an expectation of victory.
Mega Latias is a water switchin, you'd have to be an idiot or desperate to bring your manaphy in manually. (this is particularly relevant as MLatias is probably the one pokemon on a steel team fairy doesn't struggle with. You cant bring it in on manaphy, either, for the same reason outlined in that calc- it needs to be at +2 to wall, and if it comes in on manaphy it doesn't get that chance. My point, however, (and I explained it badly I'm sure) was that with three mons Fairy covers basically every team not named steel, and so can devote the rest to not autolosing.

Jirachi is decent on Fairy teams of course, but it's generally sub-optimal to use it as a direct sweeper. It functions much better as a supporting 'mon, spreading status, soaking hits, and wearing down threats. In particular, Power Up Punch is its only way to boost its Attack, and 100 Attack is okay but not great. Furthermore, as it's one of the very rare non-Fairy Pokemon to get Moon Blast and it has, you know, Calm Mind, a Fairy team would probably much rather have it run as a Special sweeper, where its performance is outright amazing, rather than merely one of the better choices out of a list of bad ones.
I sincerely doubt Jurachi would be used as a special attacker, an I myself do and have not. Support jirachi is also an option, but it, too, is mediocre anywhere except on a stall team compared to scarfrachi, who can revenge kill and flinchax far more reliably.

Dragon Pokemon include a lot of amazing individuals, and the type is pretty good defensively, but the type itself adds little to most Pokemon offensively. Said amazing Dragons are liable to put in more rank over in other teams -Ground or Water or Steel Haxorus is a lot more appealing than pure Dragon Haxorus.
Dragon adds a lot to defensive teams, though, especially since it partners well with both fairy and steel (obviously, and they can be found on those teams as well, but hey). Dragons are obviously better followers sinc a lot of what makes them good is their high BST, but don't underestimate the utility of adding a dragon type to, say, clefable, or maybe heatran. Offensively it helps a bunch of mons like serperior, gyarados, heliolisk, lanot, swampert... it just doesn't stop. Its also has a ton of great leaders like garchomp and dragonite.

Mega Lopunny is basically something you're forced to run on your Normal team if you want your Normal team to not struggle enormously against Ghosts. That's not a point in Normal's favor -it means you basically can't even consider useful Megas like Mega Altaria because your problems against Ghosts will be too much otherwise, limiting a Normal team's options. This is one of several ways Normal teams are fairly narrow in their good options, and the small pool of strong STAB Normal moves it gets to try to spam just aren't strong enough to overcome that lack of diversity.
This is basically false, though. Any mon that swaps out its second type to a useful one (like MMalt, or especially MDos) work, and lopunny isn't the only scrappy fighting type (the best one, yes, but not the only one). Koff is also a very common move on physical attackers in general, and is perfect coverage win non-scrappy normal fighting besides.

Last edited:
Ghoul King

Dragon Pokemon include a lot of amazing individuals, and the type is pretty good defensively, but the type itself adds little to most Pokemon offensively. Said amazing Dragons are liable to put in more work over in other teams -Ground or Water or Steel Haxorus is a lot more appealing than pure Dragon Haxorus.
→ I agree with the fact Dragons in others types are good because the Dragon type is a goo type, but it isn't a reason to put C rank to Dragon type with all powerful new Pokemon they gain (Landorus-T, Serperior, Jirachi, ...)
I still think you underestimated the potential of this type.

I've got it down in D both because I've never seen it run by anyone and because there's very little advantage to running it compared to running Ghost or Fairy. STAB Psyshock on the small pool of Pokemon that get it without being Psychic types is one of the only advantages it brings, and it's not much of one.
→ Don't see a type doesn't mean the type is bad. The type in itself still have nice Pokemon, they can add more Fairy/Psychic types and Normal/Psychic types now. So, Ghost don't beat this type easily...
Don't have the same amount of new Pokemon doesn't mean a type is bad.

No, I've got Ghost up in A because it's an excellent attacking type that is very difficult to meaningfully wall, it's a great defensive type that can cover all its weaknesses fairly effectively, has wonderful synergy all-around with Mega Lopunny which is, itself, a great 'mon in the meta, and it has good options to fill pretty much every role, including having probably the best Chansey in the tier. The only type Ghost is specifically bad with is Psychic, which means Ghost has an incredible range of diversity in picking Pokemon while not having to take on horrible double weaknesses of the like, and it's surprising how many of the good Psychic Pokemon aren't primary Psychic. (eg Slowbro, Jirachi)

The Normal/Ghost thing is nice, but not anything to overly lean on, since Dark is still a problem for the team, and offensively you end up walled by... Normal/Ghost.
If you want still think Ghost one top type, I won't say the inverse as you've reasons and I've mine. Be walled by Ghost team just mean you've bad built your team. That's all.

→ Concerning the Normal explanation: You said Espeed is walled by Ghost and Steel → M-Lopunny is a solution, Lucario is another (Close Combat/Crunch/Espeed/Swords Dance), Entei with Sacred Fire/Espeed is a good wallbreaker (Chandelure in steel type may be 2hKO by Buldoze (Classic move in Monotype for it), ...
The best thing I saw is: Noivern is walled by Chansey. True, but do you really think every teams have Chansey? I don't. This argument isn't very good to my eyes, you just give a counter and say it's walled. Except this counter isn't in all teams, so sorry.
D rank is just ridiculous for this type.

Is it really the worst, though? Flying type chansey seems pretty horrid, as SR weakness isn't very useful. Heck, any type not named ghost, fairy, or psychic seems to outright hurt it. CHansey works well because it has great bulk and only one weakness to be potentially exploited, not its amazing defensive resistances.
...? Flying type Chansey at least gets protection from Fighting and immunity to Ground, which can potentially give it an edge against some powerful Special attackers or allow it to stay in a turn and put in work against a Physical attacker. Ghost is probably better than Flying for Chansey, but Flying has its utility, especially since Spikes is honestly a lot more useful than Stealth Rock most of the time, in Type Reflector, so immunity to Spikes (and Toxic Spikes, I guess) is actually pretty nice.

A Poison Chansey still has a limited pool of weaknesses -and to types that have lower peak BP!- and gets Toxic immunity/perfectly accurate Toxic, which, while not necessary to Chansey -Heal Bell and Natural Cure means Toxic isn't horrible to it- can still allow it to last longer in a face-off.

There's lots of potential utility to other typings. The main flaw is that it will share weaknesses with the rest of your team, which is a different issue from whether the typing actually hurts Chansey or not.

As far as this goes, however, that's probably true. Still, normal Clefable is pretty much completely superior to plain fairy, and the same can be said for Cresselia. Norma; mostly lacks variety of options on a stall team, not in the quality of the options.
Lacking variety is a problem very much worth commentary. Limited options means greater ability for opposing teams to plan for your team's existence. I've never had to modify my Ghost team to account for something a Normal team did since I adjusted my team for Mega Lopunny, because they just don't have many particularly good options.

As for scrappy thing, Pangoro is another option.
Sure, but either you're using it as basically Bad Mega Lopunny (The loss in Speed is hugely hurtful), or you're using it alongside Mega Lopunny and your team is even more repetitive, exacerbating matchup problems.

Mega Latias is a water switchin, you'd have to be an idiot or desperate to bring your manaphy in manually. (this is particularly relevant as MLatias is probably the one pokemon on a steel team fairy doesn't struggle with. You cant bring it in on manaphy, either, for the same reason outlined in that calc- it needs to be at +2 to wall, and if it comes in on manaphy it doesn't get that chance. My point, however, (and I explained it badly I'm sure) was that with three mons Fairy covers basically every team not named steel, and so can devote the rest to not autolosing.
No, it only needs to be at +2 to wall if Manaphy is running Dazzling Gleam and uses Tail Glow as Mega Latias is switching in and we're talking merely bulky Mega Latias.

+6 252 SpA Manaphy Dazzling Gleam vs. +1 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Latias: 157-186 (43.2 - 51.2%) -- 5.5% chance to 2HKO

Specially Defensive Steel Mega Latias is able to switch in, Calm Mind once, and there you go, you just Calm Mind a second time while they attack and now you're set, barring a crit.

I think I get what you're trying to say about team construction, but I'm not sure it's really accurate.

I sincerely doubt Jurachi would be used as a special attacker, an I myself do and have not. Support jirachi is also an option, but it, too, is mediocre anywhere except on a stall team compared to scarfrachi, who can revenge kill and flinchax far more reliably.
Moon Blast is a 60% chance of lowering the enemy's Special Attack. In Calm Mind wars, Fairy Jirachi will easily win outside of extreme bad luck, and 95 BP with 24 PP is nothing to scoff at. It actually hits hard enough that it can break Chansey if it's allowed to reach +6. (Unless Chansey has a resistant type, obviously) Even against offense, Jirachi is bulky enough to take a hit and retaliate hard. Even Steel types aren't necessarily all that great of switch-ins to it, as Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball hit neutrally.

Scarf Jirachi is handicapped against Stall, relying on Trick to contribute in a meaningful way. Physically Defensive Skarmory, among other examples, can literally just rely on Leftovers to do away with the fear of Iron Head flinch kills. Your Fairy STAB is also depressingly prone to missing, in addition to being weaker than Moon Blast and having a less reliable side effect, while, again, your options for Moon Blast are much rarer than your options for Play Rough -Scarf Absol will hit harder and Dark/Fairy is better coverage than Steel/Fairy. If you're primarily using it as a revenger, Absol will tend to perform better, especially since it can use Knock Off to at least contribute something against walls. Fairy Jirachi's fantastic defensive typing isn't hugely useful to the role of revenger, beyond protecting it from priority. (Which... I guess it's better protected from Ice Shard than Absol? And Extreme Speed, which might be useful if you're not carrying a good Ghost. Absol gets a double resistance to Sucker Punch, though)

Dragon adds a lot to defensive teams, though, especially since it partners well with both fairy and steel (obviously, and they can be found on those teams as well, but hey). Dragons are obviously better followers sinc a lot of what makes them good is their high BST, but don't underestimate the utility of adding a dragon type to, say, clefable, or maybe heatran. Offensively it helps a bunch of mons like serperior, gyarados, heliolisk, lanot, swampert... it just doesn't stop. Its also has a ton of great leaders like garchomp and dragonite.
Outrage Landorus-Therian is dumb. Outrage Gyarados is dumb. Outrage Swampert is dumb. This is not Gen V, and choice-locking is risky even when there aren't Fairies able to shrug off Outrage in specific.

Heliolisk hits harder with Hyper Voice STAB than with Dragon Pulse STAB while also going through Substitutes, and the only upshot is that Dragon Pulse STAB helps against Dragons, in specific. The typing isn't necessarily an improvement from the defensive perspective, either, and Heliolisk's default Ability if you're not running it in Sun (Or Sand, I guess) is Dry Skin, so the Water resistance isn't useful. (The Fire resistance is a little useful, admittedly) It's honestly probably better off with its base typing, where it's at least got fewer weaknesses.

Serperior is definitely glad to have a second STAB, but honestly it's probably better off on a Fire team with Hidden Power Fire. Or a Ground team with Hidden Power Ground. Or a Steel team for the amazing defensive typing making it harder to just revenge kill it...

Dragon is definitely a perfectly workable team type, I just tend to feel you get better results from running a team carrying Dragons than running a Dragon team carrying non-Dragons, whether you're talking straight offense or a more stall-y team. Less that Dragon is bad and more that it's out-competed, particularly since the type doesn't bring any useful immunities. (eg Steel and Poison's blanket immunity to Toxic provides some ridiculous options for setup 'mons that cannot be dealt with by Toxic)

This is basically false, though. Any mon that swaps out its second type to a useful one (like MMalt, or especially MDos) work, and lopunny isn't the only scrappy fighting type (the best one, yes, but not the only one). Koff is also a very common move on physical attackers in general, and is perfect coverage win non-scrappy normal fighting besides.
A fast, hard-hitting Ghost with Fighting coverage is extremely threatening to a Normal team that isn't carrying Mega Lopunny.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Pangoro: 452-533 (114.7 - 135.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

There goes your second-best Scrappy choice...

Note that Gengar is found on literally every type of team.

Yeah, Knock Off is a common move, but how common is it alongside a good Fighting move? Dexsearching for Close Combat+Knock Off only returns 9 fully evolved abusers, of which only 4 (5, if we count Meloetta-Pirouette, but it has serious flaws) get STAB on Fighting on a Normal team: Machamp, Hariyama, Sawk, and Hitmonlee. (Note that none of these is a particularly amazing Pokemon)

If I dexsearch for Knock Off+Drain Punch... I get a lot of Special attackers, mostly, actually. The only noteworthies are Kecleon, Conkeldurr (Probably the best choice, with Guts Facade), Mienshao, and Pangoro. (And Pangoro has Scrappy, so Knock Off isn't much added value as coverage, which is what we're talking about)

Other Fighting type moves don't really help much -they tend to overlap with those two (eg Mienshao has High Jump Kick), be too weak/crappy (Brick Break, worse options), have horrifying flaws (Superpower weakens your Attack with every strike, limiting it to one-shot-one-kill sort of utility), or are basically irrelevant for miscellaneous reasons. (Blaziken gets High Jump Kick+Knock Off, but it's in Ubers)

So basically you're talking Mega Lopunny, Conkeldurr, Pangoro... maybe Mienshao? (Extra-strong Fake Out could be nice) There's Scrafty if you want STAB on Knock Off instead of on the Fighting move.

That's... not a lot of variety for replacing Mega Lopunny with Perfect Coverage non-Scrappy 'mon.

→ I agree with the fact Dragons in others types are good because the Dragon type is a goo type, but it isn't a reason to put C rank to Dragon type with all powerful new Pokemon they gain (Landorus-T, Serperior, Jirachi, ...)
I still think you underestimated the potential of this type.
Again, I think Dragon is viable, but that you're probably better off running a non-Dragon team carrying Dragons than running a Dragon team carrying non-Dragons. It's not necessarily all that burdensome for a Steel team to have half its team be made of Dragons, given how well the two types go together, and a Steel team with Dragons means running stuff like the Latis, Garchomp, Dragonite... while a Dragon team running Steel means running Skarmory, Jirachi, Metagross, and Cobalion as some of your best stuff. (Most Steel types aren't actually primary Steel type, and a number of the exceptions are quite underwhelming, such as Mawile, Registeel, and Klinklang)

Note that Jirachi and Aggron are basically the only primary-Steel Pokemon that actually get to carry a Dragon STAB move on a Dragon team. Steel has much less difficulty finding good Dragons with good Steel moves.

→ Don't see a type doesn't mean the type is bad. The type in itself still have nice Pokemon, they can add more Fairy/Psychic types and Normal/Psychic types now. So, Ghost don't beat this type easily...
Don't have the same amount of new Pokemon doesn't mean a type is bad.
Give me an argument for why you might actually want to run a Psychic team, as opposed to other types of team.

I was bringing up the likes of Psyshock on non-Psychic types for a reason -if you want Psychic for its defensive properties, Ghost is better. If you want Psychic for its offensive properties, Fairy is probably better. (Especially since a Poison team can basically be assumed to be running a Dark type -the combination is just too good) Since Ghost/Fairy is possible to achieve on both of those teams as a fairly competent Pokemon (Did you know Gengar gets Dazzling Gleam and Togekiss gets Shadow Ball?) even Psychic's combination of offensive value+defensive value tends to be overshadowed.

So I was bringing up Psyshock because STAB on it is one of the only things Psychic actually does that nothing else competes with it on. I mean, then I can get into just carrying a primary Psychic type on a non-Psychic team... but. Well, that's exactly my point: Psychic as a team type probably isn't worth running over the competition.

Are Psychic teams passable? Maybe, I don't know. It doesn't actually matter to my point. The issue is that they're basically inferior -note that Blissey isn't actually bad in OU, it's just largely worse than Eviolite Chansey. My suspicion is that Psychic is in that same boat -it isn't necessarily that it's bad, it's that other options tend to beat it out at what it does do well.

If you want still think Ghost one top type, I won't say the inverse as you've reasons and I've mine. Be walled by Ghost team just mean you've bad built your team. That's all.
I don't really follow this as a response to what you quoted.

→ Concerning the Normal explanation: You said Espeed is walled by Ghost and Steel → M-Lopunny is a solution, Lucario is another (Close Combat/Crunch/Espeed/Swords Dance), Entei with Sacred Fire/Espeed is a good wallbreaker (Chandelure in steel type may be 2hKO by Buldoze (Classic move in Monotype for it), ...
The best thing I saw is: Noivern is walled by Chansey. True, but do you really think every teams have Chansey? I don't. This argument isn't very good to my eyes, you just give a counter and say it's walled. Except this counter isn't in all teams, so sorry.
D rank is just ridiculous for this type.
Mega Lopunny doesn't get Extreme Speed, so I'm not sure what your point in bringing it up is. My whole point is that your powerful priority move basically requires you clear out any Ghost types before it starts getting useful -if you have Lucario come in and Swords Dance, Gengar can easily revenge it because it outspeeds you if you're not using a priority move, and it's immune to your primary priority move. So as long as Gengar remains on the team, trying to actually use your powerful Extreme Speed is of limited utility.

My main point in bringing up Chansey is that Noivern's Boomburst isn't actually capable of breaking Special walls. (Clefable only needs one Calm Mind, with minimal investment into Special Defense, to hard-wall even Choice Specs Normal Noivern's Boomburst -the "OU Calm Mind+Magic Guard" set in the calc's stats do so consistently) Against pure offense teams it's a good way to grab a kill, but offense teams mostly trend toward low enough bulk that I'd rather have something with better coverage, as you just don't need so much neutrally effective firepower to deal with them, while Noivern has to deal with "bulky Rock types are my bane". (Tyranitar, say) My other point is that Noivern is one of the only Special attackers Normal both notably improves and feels worth actually running. (Well. Wring Out Omastar might be workable? Rock/Normal is painfully weak to priority, though... I'm surprised I haven't seen Wring Out Serperior on a Normal team as yet, honestly. Do people just not realize Wring Out exists?) This makes Normal a bit predictable -if you've got a Special wall capable of taking Noivern on, you're good to go against Normal.

This is all before you run into the problem that Normal basically auto-loses to a good Ghost team, making it unreliable on the ladder even if I accept the premise that it's a worthwhile team type.

A little contribution to this meta. I want to share with you my thought about a certain underrated move: Gravity. I'm probably the only one to use it in Type Reflectors or, at least, I have not yet met other players giving it a chance.

I'm playing with two different team, one fairy-reflecting and one ground-reflecting. With both of them, my usual winning condition is to spam Earthquakes with Gravity Landorus and Scarf Mold Breaker Excadrill. Explanation: barring teams which inherit Flying type from the rare leading Tornadus\Noivern, there is a very limited set of options to hinder Ground spam. Most teams are prepared to that, in particular teams inheriting a type weak to ground, i.e. Steel, the most commont type in the meta.

The most common Steel team leads with Skarmory and include Tornadus, Levitate Lati@s, often another levitator or Air Baloon Heatran\Chandelure. It's a very solid archetype and Ground spam can't pierce into it. Unless? Unless Gravity, obvious!

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Def
Adamant Nature
- Gravity
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn

This is the actual Landorus I am running. Bulky defensive can set multiple Gravity through the match and pivot to the ground spammer most fitting for the situation. Excadrill is the most valuable and should be preserved for the late game, so don't forget about the behemoth ground Volcanion is, or Gyarados, or Diancie.

That's a simple strategy and let me obtain a record of 18W 0L with the alt biubiu. Only 4 or 5 of these where high ladder games, but it seems still impressive to me.

Theorymon time in conclusion: I think I will set up other experiments involving Gravity. My favourite choice at the moment would be a Ground or Fighting Mega Metagross with Earthquake, Meteor Mash and Dynamic Punch, but Gravity+pivoting Mew\Jirachi\Meloetta\Magnezone arouse me aswell (remember about Magnezone getting Zap Cannon, Jirachi getting Dynamic Punch, Meloetta getting Focus Blast, and Mew getting the whole pack).

lol thanks to Chopin Alkaninoff (and tysequaine ??) for the team/idea
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/typereflector-371385085
too bad it loses to chandelure, which is probably like one of the most common mons on steel from what ive seen
Carry Thief on your Liepard or Weavile. Well, it's not a good move, but it's the one of the only Dark moves (besides Snatch) that are not called by Assist (according to Bulbapedia). Scarf Chandelure may outspeed you but at least you have a chance against it.

252+ Atk Choice Band Liepard Thief vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 270-320 (103.4 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Edit: Also have Heat Rock Ninetales as sun support btw. It's better than using Purrloin with no attack to abuse Prankster Assist.

Last edited:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/typereflector-371575181

The match in which I hit #1 on the ladder. It was a good match, I liked it overall.

Rank.PNG

Time for an RMT!

Purple Leader (Gengar) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

Originally Gengar was 3 attacks+Taunt, carrying Leftovers. Then I switched her to Life Orb, but I felt the performance was worse. Then I switched to Trick Scarf and replaced Taunt with Trick but kept my three attacks, because it became clear my team had a real problem dealing with a number of 100+ Speed Pokemon. Then I dumped Sludge Wave for Will O Wisp because I almost never got use out of Sludge Wave -it let me one-shot Serperior (Which I almost never see) and do terrible things to some Clefable -but not many of them, because a lot of them are on a Steel team, or are the leader of a Fairy team and will just switch to Jirachi or something if I bring out Gengar.

Trick Scarf has consistently worked for me, letting Gengar contribute somewhat erratically against stall teams and outspeed key offense threats. I've even gotten a fair amount of use out of Scarf Will O Wisp, -it's surprising how often I've ended up in front of a Dragonite, dropped Will O Wisp that was cured by Lum while they Dragon Danced, and then Will O Wisped them again, neutering them. It's also a more reliable way of neutering Mega Lopunny than going for a Focus Miss.

Wrecking Ball (Lopunny) (M) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- Drain Punch
- Heal Bell

If you've read my post about Mega Lopunny and Ghost teams, you probably already know why he's on the team. Anti-Dark work, anti-Ghost work, generally being an amazing Pokemon.

Limber is so he can switch into Thunder Wave. It's not like Klutz would do anything, and I don't want him taking hits to trigger Cute Charm.

I originally ran Ice Punch for a bit for lack of a better idea, but once it was pointed out in the thread that coverage is almost entirely useless to Mega Lopunny in Type Reflector, I switched to Heal Bell, freeing up Togekiss to run Nasty Plot. This considerably improved my ability to take on Magic Guard Clefable, which, while still a problematic foe to face, is no longer "Trick-Choice it or lose".

It's surprising how rarely I actually use Fake Out. Most of the time I anticipate a switch-in and use one of my other moves instead. It's so common I've considered replacing Fake Out with Substitute, which would help his matchup against a number of foes. A lot of enemies just Protect on their first turn or switch, making Fake Out nearly useless. Still, I occasionally use it to, for instance, revenge a Scarfed Pokemon, or soften up a full health Serperior, sacrifice something, and then go for a finishing blow.

I personally hate High Jump Kick and think most people are crazy for running it, though I'll admit there's a handful for matchups where Drain Punch is just slightly too weak to grab the 2HKO. I still stick with Drain Punch because it has no chance of backfiring and can give Mega Lopunny startling longevity.

Pretty Face (Togekiss) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Nasty Plot
- Roost

My secondary Special wall and my primary Special Attacker once I replaced Heal Bell with Nasty Plot. Irritatingly, I almost never get my 40% chance of lowering Special Defense with Shadow Ball -my actual ratio of it triggering is somewhere around the usual 20% of the time. I've tracked it.

Anyway, any team that isn't carrying Chansey is threatened by him, and in particular Nasty Plot is key to beating/scaring out Magic Guard Clefable, otherwise something of a bane to my team. Shadow Ball+Dazzling Gleam is astonishingly reliable coverage, with Normal/Steel, Normal/Fire, and Normal/Poison being the only types that are fairly effective at walling it. They're all uncommon type combinations in Type Reflectors, and only Normal/Poison is actually a good type combination of the bunch, hampered in its commonality by the fact that Poison types are a bit disappointing overall and Poison teams are uncommon -I see more Dark teams with Poison teammates like Weezing than I see Poison teams. As such, Togekiss often threatens to sweep against a lot of teams.

The keymost role Togekiss fills is actually that of checking Tornadus-Therian. Nothing else on my team can switch into all of its moves -well, Chansey kind of can, but I don't like losing her Eviolite- in consistent safety. Knock Off? Too weak, bar maybe a Dark team running a Physically oriented Tornadus-Therian, which I haven't seen yet. Hurricane? Also too weak. They both cap out at about 30%, so as long as Togekiss doesn't get screwed over by Hurricane Confusion, he can pretty consistently switch in and scare out Tornadus-Therian. Adding nasty Plot, again, made a huge difference in this regard, as it's no longer possible for Tornadus-Therian to accept a hit or two, switch out, and switch back in.

Bulker (Skarmory) (F) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Defog
- Spikes
- Roost

Originally this slot was filled by a Mandibuzz, but I wanted something that could lay hazards that wasn't Chansey and I wanted a Steel type to check several Pokemon that were giving me trouble -Physical Dragons, in particular, but not just them. It originally ran Stealth Rock, until reading the thread and fighting my millionth Steel team convince me Stealth Rock is much less useful than Spikes stacking, with its primary advantage being that there are much fewer Spikes stackers than Stealth Rock setters. Whirlwind gets used to check various set-up sweepers -I even occasionally use it to drive out stuff like a Mega Lati spamming Calm Mind. The potential to whirlwind enemies into Spikes repeatedly is rarely realized, but occasionally crops up as fantastic.

Overall, just a hazard manager and secondary Physical wall.

Yes, I said secondary.

Bulk (Alomomola) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Wish
- Protect

Meet my primary Physical wall. I originally grabbed Alomola because it was a non-Ghost with Shadow Ball and passable Special Attack that grabbed my eye, but dumped Shadow Ball when it became clear I only got use out of it against some enemy Ghosts -and only some of them. Knock Off took its place, being plenty useful against Ghosts itself, and more importantly letting Alomomola remove key items. This makes Chansey a bad switch-in to it, Volcanion an unhappy switch-in into it, various Scarfs and Life Orbs and Bands suddenly can't do their jobs... in conjunction with Scald, it's extremely difficult to find a Pokemon that is always 100% happy to switch into Alomomola -Mega Charizard X is one of the only Pokemon I occasionally see that Alomomola can't really threaten or hamper, and it's fairly rare, being a sub-optimal Mega choice for most teams.

Alomomola is key to walling Mega Lopunny, which caps out at less than 40% on High Jump Kick, allowing Alomomola to switch in on Stealth Rock and/or with health already missing and Wish-tect while tossing out Scalds or, in anticipation of a switch, Knock Offs, very consistently. Regenerator Wish passing is amazing, allowing Alomomola to put up a Wish and leave the opponent unclear what my next move is -if I'm Wishtecting, they should switch or set up or something, but if I'm Wish passing they should try to finish off the probably-weakened Pokemon I'm switching in. That kind of thing.

Alomomola is bulky enough that it can often tank off-STAB Knock Offs -and occasionally even STAB ones!- and Wishtect the health off. It's also so bulky Pursuit is basically useless against it. As such, it acts as a secondary check to Physical Dark 'mons, after Mega Lopunny, especially since it threatens them with Scald Burns.

Alomomola is, hands-down, my most important and consistently useful teammates. I have matches where I barely use Mega Lopunny. If I barely use Alomomola in a match, it's because I stupidly got it KOed early on.

Nope (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish

Originally Toxic was Stealth Rock, but once I shifted that duty to Skarmory I wanted Chansey to have a bit more offensive pressure. In particular, a lot of Special attackers feel comfortable stalling out Chansey's Seismic Toss with their own recovery, but run into trouble if I dump a Toxic on them. Toxic is also one of my better moves for punishing an expected Physical switch-in -I've repeatedly Toxiced Gyarados on its way in before switching in Alomomola to stall it until it died, or Toxiced Mega Lopunny as it came in, that kind of thing.

Chansey is my secondary Wish passer, and is often used to make it easier to switch in one of my other walls, or occasionally one of my attackers. Switch in on a special attacker, Wish, switch out to Alomomola now that they've brought out their Physical attacker, there you go. This means that even if my walls end up a bit weakened, they can often get back into the condition necessary to do their job, and when paired with Alomomola Chansey can often stall out overly passive Pokemon (reliant on Leech Seed etc) even in the face of Stealth Rock. I like using this to get Skarmory in with Sturdy ready in cases where the enemy can either set up and then OHKO with an Earthquake or simply attack twice with Earthquake to KO Skarmory -it ensures that Skarmory can Whirlwind them out, bar Mold Breaker or their own force-switch move. Usually I can avoid that particular enemy getting such a clean opportunity a second time -Dragonite, for instance, will usually end up with its Multiscale broken.

In general Chansey's primary role is soaking Special hits (Even very powerful STAB Dark Pulses rarely do more than 30-40%, even when backed by a Life Orb or Specs), keeping teammates alive, and spreading Toxic. Seismic Toss is used to avoid being complete Taunt bait, to pressure Magic Guard Clefable (If they lack Calm Mind+Stored Power, they often can be stalled out if Alomomola has Knocked Off their Leftovers), to pass turns when waiting for Wish, and to have something to contribute to against Steel and Poison teams when that crops up. Mostly Chansey's job is to Wish pass.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/typereflector-371575181

The match in which I hit #1 on the ladder. It was a good match, I liked it overall.

View attachment 61914

Time for an RMT!

Purple Leader (Gengar) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

Originally Gengar was 3 attacks+Taunt, carrying Leftovers. Then I switched her to Life Orb, but I felt the performance was worse. Then I switched to Trick Scarf and replaced Taunt with Trick but kept my three attacks, because it became clear my team had a real problem dealing with a number of 100+ Speed Pokemon. Then I dumped Sludge Wave for Will O Wisp because I almost never got use out of Sludge Wave -it let me one-shot Serperior (Which I almost never see) and do terrible things to some Clefable -but not many of them, because a lot of them are on a Steel team, or are the leader of a Fairy team and will just switch to Jirachi or something if I bring out Gengar.

Trick Scarf has consistently worked for me, letting Gengar contribute somewhat erratically against stall teams and outspeed key offense threats. I've even gotten a fair amount of use out of Scarf Will O Wisp, -it's surprising how often I've ended up in front of a Dragonite, dropped Will O Wisp that was cured by Lum while they Dragon Danced, and then Will O Wisped them again, neutering them. It's also a more reliable way of neutering Mega Lopunny than going for a Focus Miss.

Wrecking Ball (Lopunny) (M) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- Drain Punch
- Heal Bell

If you've read my post about Mega Lopunny and Ghost teams, you probably already know why he's on the team. Anti-Dark work, anti-Ghost work, generally being an amazing Pokemon.

Limber is so he can switch into Thunder Wave. It's not like Klutz would do anything, and I don't want him taking hits to trigger Cute Charm.

I originally ran Ice Punch for a bit for lack of a better idea, but once it was pointed out in the thread that coverage is almost entirely useless to Mega Lopunny in Type Reflector, I switched to Heal Bell, freeing up Togekiss to run Nasty Plot. This considerably improved my ability to take on Magic Guard Clefable, which, while still a problematic foe to face, is no longer "Trick-Choice it or lose".

It's surprising how rarely I actually use Fake Out. Most of the time I anticipate a switch-in and use one of my other moves instead. It's so common I've considered replacing Fake Out with Substitute, which would help his matchup against a number of foes. A lot of enemies just Protect on their first turn or switch, making Fake Out nearly useless. Still, I occasionally use it to, for instance, revenge a Scarfed Pokemon, or soften up a full health Serperior, sacrifice something, and then go for a finishing blow.

I personally hate High Jump Kick and think most people are crazy for running it, though I'll admit there's a handful for matchups where Drain Punch is just slightly too weak to grab the 2HKO. I still stick with Drain Punch because it has no chance of backfiring and can give Mega Lopunny startling longevity.

Pretty Face (Togekiss) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Nasty Plot
- Roost

My secondary Special wall and my primary Special Attacker once I replaced Heal Bell with Nasty Plot. Irritatingly, I almost never get my 40% chance of lowering Special Defense with Shadow Ball -my actual ratio of it triggering is somewhere around the usual 20% of the time. I've tracked it.

Anyway, any team that isn't carrying Chansey is threatened by him, and in particular Nasty Plot is key to beating/scaring out Magic Guard Clefable, otherwise something of a bane to my team. Shadow Ball+Dazzling Gleam is astonishingly reliable coverage, with Normal/Steel, Normal/Fire, and Normal/Poison being the only types that are fairly effective at walling it. They're all uncommon type combinations in Type Reflectors, and only Normal/Poison is actually a good type combination of the bunch, hampered in its commonality by the fact that Poison types are a bit disappointing overall and Poison teams are uncommon -I see more Dark teams with Poison teammates like Weezing than I see Poison teams. As such, Togekiss often threatens to sweep against a lot of teams.

The keymost role Togekiss fills is actually that of checking Tornadus-Therian. Nothing else on my team can switch into all of its moves -well, Chansey kind of can, but I don't like losing her Eviolite- in consistent safety. Knock Off? Too weak, bar maybe a Dark team running a Physically oriented Tornadus-Therian, which I haven't seen yet. Hurricane? Also too weak. They both cap out at about 30%, so as long as Togekiss doesn't get screwed over by Hurricane Confusion, he can pretty consistently switch in and scare out Tornadus-Therian. Adding nasty Plot, again, made a huge difference in this regard, as it's no longer possible for Tornadus-Therian to accept a hit or two, switch out, and switch back in.

Bulker (Skarmory) (F) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Defog
- Spikes
- Roost

Originally this slot was filled by a Mandibuzz, but I wanted something that could lay hazards that wasn't Chansey and I wanted a Steel type to check several Pokemon that were giving me trouble -Physical Dragons, in particular, but not just them. It originally ran Stealth Rock, until reading the thread and fighting my millionth Steel team convince me Stealth Rock is much less useful than Spikes stacking, with its primary advantage being that there are much fewer Spikes stackers than Stealth Rock setters. Whirlwind gets used to check various set-up sweepers -I even occasionally use it to drive out stuff like a Mega Lati spamming Calm Mind. The potential to whirlwind enemies into Spikes repeatedly is rarely realized, but occasionally crops up as fantastic.

Overall, just a hazard manager and secondary Physical wall.

Yes, I said secondary.

Bulk (Alomomola) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Wish
- Protect

Meet my primary Physical wall. I originally grabbed Alomola because it was a non-Ghost with Shadow Ball and passable Special Attack that grabbed my eye, but dumped Shadow Ball when it became clear I only got use out of it against some enemy Ghosts -and only some of them. Knock Off took its place, being plenty useful against Ghosts itself, and more importantly letting Alomomola remove key items. This makes Chansey a bad switch-in to it, Volcanion an unhappy switch-in into it, various Scarfs and Life Orbs and Bands suddenly can't do their jobs... in conjunction with Scald, it's extremely difficult to find a Pokemon that is always 100% happy to switch into Alomomola -Mega Charizard X is one of the only Pokemon I occasionally see that Alomomola can't really threaten or hamper, and it's fairly rare, being a sub-optimal Mega choice for most teams.

Alomomola is key to walling Mega Lopunny, which caps out at less than 40% on High Jump Kick, allowing Alomomola to switch in on Stealth Rock and/or with health already missing and Wish-tect while tossing out Scalds or, in anticipation of a switch, Knock Offs, very consistently. Regenerator Wish passing is amazing, allowing Alomomola to put up a Wish and leave the opponent unclear what my next move is -if I'm Wishtecting, they should switch or set up or something, but if I'm Wish passing they should try to finish off the probably-weakened Pokemon I'm switching in. That kind of thing.

Alomomola is bulky enough that it can often tank off-STAB Knock Offs -and occasionally even STAB ones!- and Wishtect the health off. It's also so bulky Pursuit is basically useless against it. As such, it acts as a secondary check to Physical Dark 'mons, after Mega Lopunny, especially since it threatens them with Scald Burns.

Alomomola is, hands-down, my most important and consistently useful teammates. I have matches where I barely use Mega Lopunny. If I barely use Alomomola in a match, it's because I stupidly got it KOed early on.

Nope (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish

Originally Toxic was Stealth Rock, but once I shifted that duty to Skarmory I wanted Chansey to have a bit more offensive pressure. In particular, a lot of Special attackers feel comfortable stalling out Chansey's Seismic Toss with their own recovery, but run into trouble if I dump a Toxic on them. Toxic is also one of my better moves for punishing an expected Physical switch-in -I've repeatedly Toxiced Gyarados on its way in before switching in Alomomola to stall it until it died, or Toxiced Mega Lopunny as it came in, that kind of thing.

Chansey is my secondary Wish passer, and is often used to make it easier to switch in one of my other walls, or occasionally one of my attackers. Switch in on a special attacker, Wish, switch out to Alomomola now that they've brought out their Physical attacker, there you go. This means that even if my walls end up a bit weakened, they can often get back into the condition necessary to do their job, and when paired with Alomomola Chansey can often stall out overly passive Pokemon (reliant on Leech Seed etc) even in the face of Stealth Rock. I like using this to get Skarmory in with Sturdy ready in cases where the enemy can either set up and then OHKO with an Earthquake or simply attack twice with Earthquake to KO Skarmory -it ensures that Skarmory can Whirlwind them out, bar Mold Breaker or their own force-switch move. Usually I can avoid that particular enemy getting such a clean opportunity a second time -Dragonite, for instance, will usually end up with its Multiscale broken.

In general Chansey's primary role is soaking Special hits (Even very powerful STAB Dark Pulses rarely do more than 30-40%, even when backed by a Life Orb or Specs), keeping teammates alive, and spreading Toxic. Seismic Toss is used to avoid being complete Taunt bait, to pressure Magic Guard Clefable (If they lack Calm Mind+Stored Power, they often can be stalled out if Alomomola has Knocked Off their Leftovers), to pass turns when waiting for Wish, and to have something to contribute to against Steel and Poison teams when that crops up. Mostly Chansey's job is to Wish pass.
Neat team! I have some qualms, obviously, with how knock off weak everything bar Megalop is, and Togekiss, your other absorber, still doesn't appreciate losing its item. I can see how you deal with it, but if Lopunny goes down Bisharp just puts in work against your team, and your only hope is prediction games with Gengar. I'ts not terribly common though, so thank goodness for small mercies. If I had to mak a suggestion, it'd probably be to give sarmory counter or something, but I'm not sure how worthwhile that is.
Amusingly, I think that your ghost team is more weak to fairy than dark. Your team has some problems with decently common picks such as jirachi (only beaten by gengar, although skarm can phase), clefable (you stated your troubles, it isn't the worst but), and mega absol, who just sets up and sweeps- especially with a layer of spikes up to break sturdy. I'm not sure what you can do here except run more steels, which is supoptimal for many reasons. Regardless, gratz on peak.

Ghoul King , can u add more replays for your RMT, please?
I think only one isn't enough for a RMT.

What do you do against Dragon Dance/Sub/Waterfall/EQ Gyarados Ground/Water? It seems good against your team.
Nice team however, perhaps the Togekiss set and spread have to be edited to be more bulky in my opinion.

(Ps: You don't need to show your temporary rank to post one RMT, ladder doesn't prove anything most of time as they are many skilled people who don't ladd).

Ghoul King , can u add more replays for your RMT, please?
I think only one isn't enough for a RMT.

What do you do against Dragon Dance/Sub/Waterfall/EQ Gyarados Ground/Water? It seems good against your team.
Nice team however, perhaps the Togekiss set and spread have to be edited to be more bulky in my opinion.

(Ps: You don't need to show your temporary rank to post one RMT, ladder doesn't prove anything most of time as they are many skilled people who don't ladd).
This is an omotm, so ladder is the only tool we have. You also do tend to post ladder of only because it shows you aren't a complete noob.

Outside of that, what are people's opinions on the best follower mega for each type? Ghost is probably Megalop, Fairy is Absol or the same, steel is probably Latias...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)